• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Great Western - Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Red18

Got my invite to assessment at Bristol too.
Mine in on the 5th so does seem like they are doing assessments over more than one day. They must have quite a few to get through.
Anybody else going on the 5th?

anthony263

Established Member
Anyone else been reading through the practice material they have been sent?

Certainly it is harder than I was expecting but I will keep on practicing.

Red18

The tests are designed to be challenging. If the tests were too easy then everyone would get the same results.
I'm on holiday just now and only have my phone so can't even look at the practice documents until next week.
Don't worry too much, just keep practicing and do your best.

rob12

Well that's got me confused.... Is it the scatt test or the dot test that FGW do?? because I have been hammering the dots and not touched the scatt test?? Any info guys?? Because I am going to have to switch to the scatt then cheers

TPA

Urrhh, anyone else gone for Bristol and still showing as awaiting shortlisting? I'm beginning to feel like the kid who's last to be picked for the football team :|

TDK I could do with some of your reassuring advice!!!

SND150

Yes TPA I still have awaiting shortlisting. The good news is you are still in with a chance of being selected for an assessment. I contacted FGW yesterday and they told me if I had not been successful I would have received an e-mail to confirm this and my status on-line would have changed. Apparently they have been inundated with applications and the recruitment managers are working through them in batches. So good luck all that still have awaiting shortlisting and well done to those who know they are going for an assessment. Keeping everything crossed that I get through!!!

TPA

Yes TPA I still have awaiting shortlisting. The good news is you are still in with a chance of being selected for an assessment. I contacted FGW yesterday and they told me if I had not been successful I would have received an e-mail to confirm this and my status on-line would have changed. Apparently they have been inundated with applications and the recruitment managers are working through them in batches. So good luck all that still have awaiting shortlisting and well done to those who know they are going for an assessment. Keeping everything crossed that I get through!!!

Whooha! Weekend back on track, thanks for that buddy, maybe I will get to play after all......!!:D

Remember, awaiting short listing doesn't always mean that. There are a plethora of reasons why the applications (both with these vacanies and others) haven't progressed, for business reasons.

So don't necessarily take it personally.

svrdan

I have a query about what to bring to the first stage assessments.

Although, i stated on my application, that i dont have one. It stating on the invite email that candidates bring both parts of their driving license. Im just curious as to weather this is a mandatory requirement to bring or not. Ive already sent an email to First careers about this, but as its a bank holiday, i wont get an official response until tomorrow. So i was wondering if anyone on here knew weather it is mandatory or not etc?

anthony263

Established Member
Well I am taking my drivers licence etc with me especially as I stated on my application that I had a drivers licence.

If you stated on your application that you dont have a licence then I am not sure what to suggest although I do hope you have a passport or something which can prove you are a uk citizen and have the right to work in the uk

455driver

Veteran Member

Although, i stated on my application, that i dont have one. It stating on the invite email that candidates bring both parts of their driving license.

No it is not mandatory but if you do not have a driving licence how are you going to get to work?

daddy_badger

Although, i stated on my application, that i dont have one. It stating on the invite email that candidates bring both parts of their driving license. Im just curious as to weather this is a mandatory requirement to bring or not. Ive already sent an email to First careers about this, but as its a bank holiday, i wont get an official response until tomorrow. So i was wondering if anyone on here knew weather it is mandatory or not etc?

All the assessor requires is photographic evidence that the person taking the assessment is exactly who they have on their list. I took a passport, however I do recall someone on my assessment not bringing any evidence at all and was asked to bring it if they were to pass on the next stage. Though i cannot confirm whether this person passed or failed.

anthony263

Established Member
New to the forum - got my assessment for Bristol 5th at 2.45. No railway experience - but looking for mid-life career change!
Doing my nut with Group Bordon dots - rest of practice material is fine. Is it better to be slower with 100% accuracy, or quicker with the odd miss? No-one seems to have the definitive answer!

I have asked myself the same question. The answer I have come up with is to try and get 100% acuracy or as close as possible as well as going as quickly as is posisble without risking making stupid errors.

It is trying to get the balance right.

Anyway the group bordon dots I downloaded from this forum will not work on my laptop with an error message coming up saying thereis a issue with my screen resolution so I am off to my local library to see it will work there otherwise with my desktop pc away on repair I will have to use the example in the practice material I have

evoice

New to the forum - got my assessment for Bristol 5th at 2.45. No railway experience - but looking for mid-life career change!
Doing my nut with Group Bordon dots - rest of practice material is fine. Is it better to be slower with 100% accuracy, or quicker with the odd miss? No-one seems to have the definitive answer!

Try to be quick and accurate. As for the dots, there are negative markings for any of those you miss or get wrong. Its going to be on paper. So fairly easier than the computer. But don't take it easy. Good luck.
By the way, have you been practising in the computer? As there is a tool somewhere in other threads. And its good for practise rather than those practise material.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Oh yes, during the test if you think you missed one, don't come back to it. Don't lose your concentration. Just keep going as time is short. Don't worry if you wouldn't be able to do whole page. I believe if you do 3 quarter of a page then you should be alright. ( that's my opinion only) good luck anyway

willias3

Try to be quick and accurate. As for the dots, there are negative markings for any of those you miss or get wrong. Its going to be on paper. So fairly easier than the computer. But don't take it easy. Good luck.
By the way, have you been practising in the computer? As there is a tool somewhere in other threads. And its good for practise rather than those practise material.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Oh yes, during the test if you think you missed one, don't come back to it. Don't lose your concentration. Just keep going as time is short. Don't worry if you wouldn't be able to do whole page. I believe if you do 3 quarter of a page then you should be alright. ( that's my opinion only) good luck anyway

download the program - which prints the pages out - you will never look at a Dice in the same way again!!!:lol:

Last edited:

FlamTap

... Anyway the group bordon dots I downloaded from this forum will not work on my laptop with an error message coming up saying thereis a issue with my screen resolution...

The program requires a resolution >=1024x768. Most laptops (unless very old, or a cheap netbook) will be running a "native" resolution >=1024x768. I would check your screen resolution settings as you may not be running your laptop in its native resolution.

I've seen so many laptops running at lower resolutions than their native, and the user hasn't even been aware of it! It often comes as a revelation when they see just how much clearer everything on-screen becomes when the laptop is set at its correct resolution! ;)

Last edited:

anthony263

Established Member
The program requires a resolution >=1024x768. Most laptops (unless very old, or a cheap netbook) will be running a "native" resolution >=1024x768. I would check your screen resolution settings as you may not be running your laptop in its native resolution.

I've seen so many laptops running at lower resolutions than their native, and the user hasn't even been aware of it! It often comes as a revelation when they see just how much clearer everything on-screen becomes when the laptop is set at its correct resolution! ;)

Well I have checked my laptops settings and they are correct however I have received a phobne saying I can pick up my pc fromr the shop I gave it to repair.

I did print off some of the practice tests though when I was down the library earlier so I am going to have a pratice with them later on after dinner

carriageline

Established Member
You can download a program to "unlock" the resolution required, I did it on my notebook. It makes everything look out of proportion, but I can use the test which is all I want to do.

daddy_badger

as said before its consistency and accuracy that matters and not speed, have you seen that video on YT of someone doing the gbt? they failed. I made an error and crossed it out only cos I was counting how many rows I completed. got to the 14th row, 1 error and I passed.

Raffa

I applied 5th May 2013 for Paddington and today morning I got phone call with the invitation to the final stage interview with one of the managers this Friday in Reading.

(I have passed my first two stages with another First's TOC)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.