• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Great Western - Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maybe

Have you rung them?

They will have thre answers unless you just prefer moanign about it rather than sort it!

Yes I have rang them, and have been told that there are no more positions for Bristol, and as I have said there have been two training courses since my DM interview of which neither I had been invited too, even though when I received a call informing me I had been succesful at DM interview that I would be on the next scheduled training course early in the new year.

So I do think that I have a right to be slightly aggrieved considering they will not give me a reason as to why I was not put on either of those courses nor what is actually happening with my application.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

455driver

Veteran Member
How long after your interview did these 2 courses start?
Which depots drivers were on these courses?
Did they give you a start date for your course?
Have they told you that they wont be taking you on?
have they told you that you are on hold for a future position?

Courses are normally filled a few months in advance especially when there is a massive recruitment drive on, as now!

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Yes I have rang them, and have been told that there are no more positions for Bristol, and as I have said there have been two training courses since my DM interview of which neither I had been invited too, even though when I received a call informing me I had been succesful at DM interview that I would be on the next scheduled training course early in the new year.

So I do think that I have a right to be slightly aggrieved considering they will not give me a reason as to why I was not put on either of those courses nor what is actually happening with my application.

There are only a couple of courses left for West Trainees

Maybe

I don't understand the aggressive tone 455, I am just merely stating that I am dissapointe s, and have wished others the best of luck.

When I had my interview in Nov I was told that the succesful candidates would be placed on either a jan or April course. When I was later told over the phone by HR that I was successful at interview the same dates and that they would be in touch.

I therefore waited throughout December and let the jan dates slide by as I thought that perhaps it might have been too tight, but have read on this forum of other people who have been succesful and given an April start date who where interviewed after myself.

In calling HR they are reluctant to give me any kind of information at all instead just recycling the same old info that they will be in touch when an opening on a course becomes available.

My gripe is not towards not being selected, I am fully appreciative of the fact that they may have a better selection of candidates, but I would at least like to know where I stand.

I have asked for feedback on my DM interview as then I would at least perhaps be a bit more wiser as to why I have not been placed on either of the two courses arranged after my interview. All they have said is that I was succesful at interview and will not elaborate further. My online status also just says 'successful after interview'

I am not clueless of the recruitment procedure having worked in the industry for 18 years.

If it was the case that the positions on both courses had already been filled then what was th point of interviewing me and more to the point informing of the two dates of supposed starts if I was to be succesful.

455driver

Veteran Member
It wasn't meant to appear aggressive, I was just asking a few questions that's all and hinting at some possibilities as to why were not on the other courses, maybe I shouldnt bother!

Rail recruitment are a law unto themselves and if anyone can fathom out how they work can they let me know please!

Edit-
If you are already on the railways, and its possible to, get your Manager to chase them up.

Last edited:

Pgb

People who are using this forum to gain information about their hopefully new career don't want this thread to turn into a handbag throwing exercise. Please can you send personal messages if you are not going to be constructive. Thanks.

Anybody applying for Reading heard anything about DM dates? Or any information at all?!

455driver

Veteran Member
People who are using this forum to gain information about their hopefully new career don't want this thread to turn into a handbag throwing exercise. Please can you send personal messages if you are not going to be constructive. Thanks.

Well excuse me for happening onto your forum!

It is your forum I take it, hence why you are telling everyone else what to do!:roll:

oxoneil

I don't understand the aggressive tone 455, I am just merely stating that I am dissapointe s, and have wished others the best of luck.

When I had my interview in Nov I was told that the succesful candidates would be placed on either a jan or April course. When I was later told over the phone by HR that I was successful at interview the same dates and that they would be in touch.

I therefore waited throughout December and let the jan dates slide by as I thought that perhaps it might have been too tight, but have read on this forum of other people who have been succesful and given an April start date who where interviewed after myself.

In calling HR they are reluctant to give me any kind of information at all instead just recycling the same old info that they will be in touch when an opening on a course becomes available.

My gripe is not towards not being selected, I am fully appreciative of the fact that they may have a better selection of candidates, but I would at least like to know where I stand.

I have asked for feedback on my DM interview as then I would at least perhaps be a bit more wiser as to why I have not been placed on either of the two courses arranged after my interview. All they have said is that I was succesful at interview and will not elaborate further. My online status also just says 'successful after interview'

I am not clueless of the recruitment procedure having worked in the industry for 18 years.

If it was the case that the positions on both courses had already been filled then what was th point of interviewing me and more to the point informing of the two dates of supposed starts if I was to be succesful.

Fair comment.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Have you rung them?

They will have thre answers unless you just prefer moanign about it rather than sort it!

I think that was a little unfair tbh. Everyone who posts on here who has ever called/emailed to find out what's happening with their application status never seems to get a definitive answer.

Wfmeredith

Anybody applying for Reading heard anything about DM dates? Or any information at all?!

Found out on 13/2/14 passed stage 2 still waiting for DM Interview. When did you pass your stage2?

Pgb

Found out on 13/2/14 passed stage 2 still waiting for DM Interview. When did you pass your stage2?

04/02/14. I don't know if it's a blessing in disguise as the longer we have to wait, the more prepared you can get when it does come around.

Wfmeredith

04/02/14. I don't know if it's a blessing in disguise as the longer we have to wait, the more prepared you can get when it does come around.

Yeah thats true. So close. Just hope the theres spaces left if im succesful on thw courses.

Maybe

It wasn't meant to appear aggressive, I was just asking a few questions that's all and hinting at some possibilities as to why were not on the other courses, maybe I shouldnt bother!

Rail recruitment are a law unto themselves and if anyone can fathom out how they work can they let me know please!

Edit-
If you are already on the railways, and its possible to, get your Manager to chase them up.

It's not a case of not appreciating your input, but expressing my frustration and experience isn't a crime, and receiving comments like are you going to do something about it or just moan on here us hardly constructive.

In all honesty there does seem to be lack of clarity or consistency on the communication from HR.

Why that is maybe down to the sheer size of the recruitment drive I do not know. But considering clear communication is something that banged into every employee, it is ironic.

Anyway I am don chasing them up, if I hear something back then great, if not ill just carry on with what I am doing now.

oxoneil

It's not a case of not appreciating your input, but expressing my frustration and experience isn't a crime, and receiving comments like are you going to do something about it or just moan on here us hardly constructive.

In all honesty there does seem to be lack of clarity or consistency on the communication from HR.

Why that is maybe down to the sheer size of the recruitment drive I do not know. But considering clear communication is something that banged into every employee, it is ironic.

Anyway I am don chasing them up, if I hear something back then great, if not ill just carry on with what I am doing now.

This.

jaarus

Haven't been on here in a while but just thought I would chip in to show you what true 'waiting' is (though I am sure someone can beat me?!)

I passed my stage 1 in September 2013 and I am still waiting for a Stage 2 date!!
That is despite most people who sat stage 1 with me having progressed through Stage 2 and beyond.

I contacted FGW and they simply said that I hadn't been forgotten but they don't yet have a date available, as soon as they do.... etc etc.

Its a horrible waiting game.
I remember reading in disbelief that some people had been waiting 6m or even a year to progress through...... but believe it. It happens.

....to me.

*sobs*

tlionhart

Did anyone get informed today or recently of driver manager interviews being cancelled because of the recent disruption? ( I do think its understandable as a lot of the network has been effected, so they have been very busy or unable to attend the centres)

Last edited:

dj7bee

Did anyone get informed today or recently of driver manager interviews being cancelled because of the recent disruption? ( I do think its understandable as a lot of the network has been effected, so they have been very busy or unable to attend the centres)

I had mine cancelled on 11th Feb due to weather. Very disappointed but they rescheduled it for March a few days later. Same process. Email like before then I re-booked. Hope that helps.

Haven't been on here in a while but just thought I would chip in to show you what true 'waiting' is (though I am sure someone can beat me?!)

I passed my stage 1 in September 2013 and I am still waiting for a Stage 2 date!!
That is despite most people who sat stage 1 with me having progressed through Stage 2 and beyond.

I contacted FGW and they simply said that I hadn't been forgotten but they don't yet have a date available, as soon as they do.... etc etc.

Its a horrible waiting game.
I remember reading in disbelief that some people had been waiting 6m or even a year to progress through...... but believe it. It happens.

....to me.

*sobs*

Just had an email today saying thanks for the application and for passing stage 1 the vacancies at Gloucester have been taken. They are now placing me in their talent pool.
Great!

tlionhart

Hi dj7bee thank you for that! :)
Its reassuring to know they have some idea of when the next slots would be. I understand the managers are probably very busy right now. Whilst it's disappointing, I'm glad they called. Nothing's worst then getting there to find its cancelled. So I'm happy they contacted me.

dj7bee

Hi dj7bee thank you for that! :)
Its reassuring to know they have some idea of when the next slots would be. I understand the managers are probably very busy right now. Whilst it's disappointing, I'm glad they called. Nothing's worst then getting there to find its cancelled. So I'm happy they contacted me.

No worries. Completely understand your disappointment. Felt gutted. Just hope it is all sorted by next date as don't think my nerves can handle it!

tlionhart

Exactly that. The disappointment isn't aimed at them, more at the situation. It's the weather. You've hyped yourself up for this date, battled the nerves. Felt gutted, but feel much better as I know there's someone in the same boat as me (no pun was intended!)

dj7bee

Exactly that. The disappointment isn't aimed at them, more at the situation. It's the weather. You've hyped yourself up for this date, battled the nerves. Felt gutted, but feel much better as I know there's someone in the same boat as me (no pun was intended!)

Haha! Did they say someone would call with new dates? If you don't hear then chase them up!

tlionhart

Yes they did say that. They didn't specify if they would call or email but they did say that they will be in touch. They didn't know exactly when it would be, but to feel reassured. They mentioned they also had other interviews to conduct. So they must be referring to your interview date, As that date/times was available to book when I booked mine. There may be other dates before mine also cancelled?

dj7bee

I had choice of 11th and 19th so not aware of any other dates! I heard on Friday afternoon so fingers crossed you get some news soon.

Johncleesefan

Aww no. Had the email saying positions are filled. Put in talent pool for next vacancies. Hpw long have ppl been in talebt ppol before

tlionhart

Same here. Thanks for all that. I'll keep my eyes open on the email and fingers crossed. I guessed it would be March sometime, so wouldn't surprise me if I didn't hear until next week/week 1 or 2 at the latest in March. :)

Covo23

Mines on 4th unless they change it. PM me if you hear when you get it.

They cancelled my interview on the day just as I was walking out of the door because all the managers were getting deployed to help with the flood issues. I received an email a few days later to rebook. So I also have my new interview on 4th. (Reading Depot).

dj7bee

They cancelled my interview on the day just as I was walking out of the door because all the managers were getting deployed to help with the flood issues. I received an email a few days later to rebook. So I also have my new interview on 4th. (Reading Depot).

Sounds like we had the same experience! Also on 4th. Just hoping the disruption is all sorted by then!

Status
Not open for further replies.