• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Great Western - Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Johncleesefan

I have had the call but not the email yet. She said the email makes it out to be bad news but as the courses are resuming jan and march, thats when il be starting.

Were u guys told when ur depots courses were starting again.

tlionhart

Yes sept/autumn for reading...

Although starting to think it is becoming doubtful...

Last edited:

ultra4

I applied august 2013 and sat stage 1 in sept and stage 2 in nov. Git the invite out of the blue for dm at the start of this month and sat it a couple of weeks ago. Just waiting for results. Applied for westbury
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just got off the phone with fgw. Wooohooo I have been made an offer for westbury for either jan or march next year. So just gota wait for the email for my medical now :):) so excited

Congratulations!

russmcp

I've been patient and with work being busy I was surprised to find out I have my final interview next week at Reading. Wow. Looking forward to it immensely.

Trainer74

I'm in the same boat Mr! Passed 2nd stage in Jan this year still no DM interview yet. I've applied for paddington.

oxoneil

A question for any qualified drivers that might venture into this thread....the instructor drivers that sit with you when you're training, do they volunteer for that role or are they told to do it? What incentive do they have to carry out the role and how many would each depot have?

A shortage of these drivers must have a huge impact on the progression of trainees.

SkinnyDave

Established Member
No they volunteer and do have a DI premium at FGW and it varies between depots..
Bristol are very short in comparison to the amount of Trainees they are pumping through the system just now with Bristol Trainees end up having to try and go with Westbury or Gloucester DIs which is now becoming difficult with the amount of Trainees at those depots now

oxoneil

No they volunteer and do have a DI premium at FGW and it varies between depots..
Bristol are very short in comparison to the amount of Trainees they are pumping through the system just now with Bristol Trainees end up having to try and go with Westbury or Gloucester DIs which is now becoming difficult with the amount of Trainees at those depots now

Is there a reason that more don't want to do it? I imagine this is one reason why there are people sitting in "reserve" with no forecast of when new courses might start.

benno79

I heard that if a trainee spads while the driver trainer is in the cab then the driver trainer is responsible and it goes on their record. I assume if this is true it would put a lot off.

oxoneil

I heard that if a trainee spads while the driver trainer is in the cab then the driver trainer is responsible and it goes on their record. I assume if this is true it would put a lot off.

I can understand that, plus it can't be as much fun sitting watching as actually driving yourself.

455driver

Veteran Member

On SWT the DIs have 2 licences, their own and a DI licence.
If the trainee SPADs then it goes on the DI licence and get too many (not actually many at all) incidents on the DI licence and they would lose the DI job but still have a clean driving licence.
This seems to be a fair way of doing it.

tlionhart

Why do they keep having interviews for certain depots if they have no vacancies or no training courses planned?

cossie4i

On SWT the DIs have 2 licences, their own and a DI licence.
If the trainee SPADs then it goes on the DI licence and get too many (not actually many at all) incidents on the DI licence and they would lose the DI job but still have a clean driving licence.
This seems to be a fair way of doing it.

Southeastern don't, if a trainee Spads it goes on the DIs licence.

DIs do more than just training new drivers, they also do route assessments, re-training of Drivers who have had incidents etc.

A DI role is not for everybody, it can be very hard and stressful at times. You have to be confident in yourself, not afraid to speak your mind. You need good people skills, some people you have to be very hard on to get them to do something correctly whilst others you almost have to give them a cuddle to help them understand what they need to do.

Training New Drivers as a lot easier than Re-Training a Driver that has had a Incident.

russmcp

So like others I've had the email saying high standard interview and I'm in the pool shall we say. I hope I hear within 12 months. Pleased as punch and just need to remain as patient as one can.

Waiting to join Reading.

skjonesfamily

So like others I've had the email saying high standard interview and I'm in the pool shall we say. I hope I hear within 12 months. Pleased as punch and just need to remain as patient as one can.

Waiting to join Reading.

Just had my email too, saying interview high standered have to wait for position to come up now in Glousester, 12 months on record. Man i just want to start now. Does this mean were garenteed a position now and we just have to wait?

455driver

Veteran Member
Just had my email too, saying interview high standered have to wait for position to come up now in Glousester, 12 months on record. Man i just want to start now. Does this mean were garenteed a position now and we just have to wait?

It doesnt guarantee you a place but if a place comes up then the top one in the pool will get it, and so on and so on until everyone is taken on from the pool. If there are more people in the pool than places come up then the bottom ones will fall off the list.

If, after, say, 13 months positions become available then the company may decide to revisit the talent pool (cheap) or to go for a fresh intake (expensive but fresh candidates).

skjonesfamily

It doesnt guarantee you a place but if a place comes up then the top one in the pool will get it, and so on and so on until everyone is taken on from the pool. If there are more people in the pool than places come up then the bottom ones will fall off the list.

If, after, say, 13 months positions become available then the company may decide to revisit the talent pool (cheap) or to go for a fresh intake (expensive but fresh candidates).[/QUOT

Thanks for the info mate, im sure something will come up in twelve months fingers crossed any how.

Status
Not open for further replies.