• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Great Western - Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

KT530

The "trainees sitting around doing nothing" comment is concerning. I'm currently on hold and if I do get offered a job I'll be taking a hefty pay cut while I'm in training* so the less time that takes the better. To have that time prolonged due to having many days when you're doing nothing doesn't sound good.

* - I don't actually know what the training pay is tbh with you but whatever it is I'm resigned to accepting it for the long term increase once qualified.

Anyway, kind of jumping the gun a little, not even had a medical yet.

Training rate currently £24,793 + time and a quarter for any Sundays you do during handling stage.

I don't know of any trainees 'doing nothing', although it is true that some are doubled up to a DI.

Recent pass out times have been approx 13-14 months from start date, but this will vary depending on your depot and which routes your DI signs.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Training rate currently £24,793 + time and a quarter for any Sundays you do during handling stage.

I don't know of any trainees 'doing nothing', although it is true that some are doubled up to a DI.

Recent pass out times have been approx 13-14 months from start date, but this will vary depending on your depot and which routes your DI signs.

Depends what depot you are at. Some are very good and get you passed out within the year. Some, such as a certain large West Country depot, may take you 15-18 months to pass out.

So far, 2 months into my handling timetable, I've accumulated just 13hrs. lol. And that's 13 more hours than other colleagues of mine on my course.

skjonesfamily

This information about pay and how long your training for is all well and good, but does any one know when we will be contacted about medicals and given start dates and contracts. Ive been told a course will start in early 2015 between Jan and March, and some one on this forum has had a recent interview and been told its looking like january. But if it is going to be January then why hasnt any one been told yet, its freakin the middle of october for goodness sake.

This information about pay and how long your training for is all well and good, but does any one know when we will be contacted about medicals and given start dates and contracts. Ive been told a course will start in early 2015 between Jan and March, and some one on this forum has had a recent interview and been told its looking like january. But if it is going to be January then why hasnt any one been told yet, its freakin the middle of october for goodness sake.

If you have a potential start date of Jan 2015, then it's highly possible and perhaps even quite likely that you won't be told and booked in for a medical until just before Christmas. Trainee Drivers I know of have even been told of their start date just a few days before said start date.

Myself, I was only given 2 weeks between being told about start date and actual start date. As has been said a million times before, patience is the name of the game in this process.

skjonesfamily

If you have a potential start date of Jan 2015, then it's highly possible and perhaps even quite likely that you won't be told and booked in for a medical until just before Christmas. Trainee Drivers I know of have even been told of their start date just a few days before said start date.

Myself, I was only given 2 weeks between being told about start date and actual start date. As has been said a million times before, patience is the name of the game in this process.

Thanks for the reply, I know patients is the key here, however like most on this forum it does get a bit annoying sometimes, like myself and many others its been weeks months and even up to a year in some cases since successful DM interviews, but your correct of course we have to be patient for this amazing opportunity.

ultra4

Depends what depot you are at. Some are very good and get you passed out within the year. Some, such as a certain large West Country depot, may take you 15-18 months to pass out.

So far, 2 months into my handling timetable, I've accumulated just 13hrs. lol. And that's 13 more hours than other colleagues of mine on my course.

We are doing front end turns for at least 6 weeks.... before any DI becomes available.
Of course everyone is keen to pass out as quickly as possible. Looking from another angle though, it is not a bad job that pays over 24k for not actually doing any work :)

We are doing front end turns for at least 6 weeks.... before any DI becomes available.
Of course everyone is keen to pass out as quickly as possible. Looking from another angle though, it is not a bad job that pays over 24k for not actually doing any work :)

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. lol.

Can probably guess the depot too. ;)

oxoneil

Hopefully they will take note of how much notice I need to give to my current employer if it gets to that stage. They did ask at my DM interview. If there is a course in January and I have to give 28 days I'm going to need to do that in December so would have to do a medical, and hopefully pass, within the next 8 weeks.

Anyway, I'm not counting any chickens yet as I realise it's far from a done deal.

tlionhart

Hopefully they will take note of how much notice I need to give to my current employer if it gets to that stage. They did ask at my DM interview. If there is a course in January and I have to give 28 days I'm going to need to do that in December so would have to do a medical, and hopefully pass, within the next 8 weeks.

Anyway, I'm not counting any chickens yet as I realise it's far from a done deal.

Same!
I think most people require to give their employers 28days/ months notice. As its mentioned, it's an amazing opportunity and I'm sure we will hear something shortly. As its been mentioned we could possibly hear something towards Christmas. If not, then at some point in Jan to start in Feb or March. Can only remain optimistic! :D

Last edited:

Driverb

Just wondering as courses are meant to start in jam you would think they be organising medical a soon

SkinnyDave

Established Member
I might be the bearer of bad news here but I believe that the courses for next year (beginning of next year) are cancelled :(

They are needing people for High Speed Side and want the current crop of Trainees through their handling..

I believe the dreaded "Talent Pool" has been mentioned

Last edited:

tlionhart

Just wondering as courses are meant to start in jam you would think they be organising medical a soon

Hate to be a bit of a kill-joy but it stated 'early 2015'. This could be Jan, Feb or even March.
Either way, your right could be anytime now...or Dec. Also lots of us need to hand notices in, references, etc! Hope it's all done within good time.

Skinnydave, that could be depot specific. Not all depots have HSS. Reading for example. If its not happening, it's not happening. I will just wait for the email directly from HR Saying that.

Last edited:

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Hate to be a bit of a kill-joy but it stated 'early 2015'. This could be Jan, Feb or even March.
Either way, your right could be anytime now...or Dec. Also lots of us need to hand notices in, references, etc! Hope it's all done within good time.

Skinnydave, that could be depot specific. Not all depots have HSS. Reading for example. If its not happening, it's not happening. I will just wait for the email directly from HR Saying that.

you crack on fella im well aware of what depots are HSS and ones are not..
I am only passing on what was said the other day! LTV may be different to West but that came from training school

Driverb

you crack on fella im well aware of what depots are HSS and ones are not..
I am only passing on what was said the other day! LTV may be different to West but that came from training school

Appreciate the heads up mate. I've applied for Reading so I'm guessing it's going to be months before I get contacted?

387star

On Moderation
I might be the bearer of bad news here but I believe that the courses for next year (beginning of next year) are cancelled :(

They are needing people for High Speed Side and want the current crop of Trainees through their handling..

I believe the dreaded "Talent Pool" has been mentioned

All internals are for a talent pool I know that much

455driver

Veteran Member
They are prioritising recruitment and training, there will still be trainee positions coming up just they won't be for a few months.

387star

On Moderation
They are prioritising recruitment and training, there will still be trainee positions coming up just they won't be for a few months.

Luckily I have passed all assessments which are valid others waiting a long time already between stage one and two assessments

russmcp

Feel sorry for you lot waiting, of which I am one. I have been extremely fortunate in that swt have offered me trainee driver role. Start Monday. Fingers crossed you all make it. Patience really is a virtue in this game.

Driverb

Feel sorry for you lot waiting, of which I am one. I have been extremely fortunate in that swt have offered me trainee driver role. Start Monday. Fingers crossed you all make it. Patience really is a virtue in this game.

It's not lookng good is it..... Fingers crossed we will get word soon.

Maybe

Was hoping for an early Xmas present, but alas this seems like it's not going to be happen. I will be like a kid this xmas who is trying to fake excitement after receiving a PS3 for Xmas, when Everyman and has dog knows he wanted a ps4.

I have applied for Bristol so this info is relevant to me. Thank you for the heads up skinny save it is appreciated.

skjonesfamily

Just to put some hope back in here for every one, ive read a post a few weeks ago back on this forum, about five weeks ago ish and some one had there DM interview for 2015 intakes and was told it looks more like Jan than Mach for courses to start, bare in mind this was five weeks ago so surely they would of known by then if they were going to be cancelled.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
skinnydave where are you getting your info from in laymans terms please, and are you a current trainee or driver or just waiting like every one else on here?

Maybe

I think Dave is on the verge of passing out I know he has definitely undergone the training so he may have even passed out by now. In the grand scheme of things March would probably suit me better anyway. Can get all the xmas crap out the way and book a cheeky couple of weeks away to Tenerife in jan to get some winter sun:

I've been waiting for a course for Bristol for over a year now and I know that's where he trained,so I think his info is likely to be from a reliable source so have no reason to doubt it.

skjonesfamily

I think Dave is on the verge of passing out I know he has definitely undergone the training so he may have even passed out by now. In the grand scheme of things March would probably suit me better anyway. Can get all the xmas crap out the way and book a cheeky couple of weeks away to Tenerife in jan to get some winter sun:

I've been waiting for a course for Bristol for over a year now and I know that's where he trained,so I think his info is likely to be from a reliable source so have no reason to doubt it.

Well if his info is correct then march is out of the question as well because he says the courses have been cancelled, so no jobs for anyone including March.

Status
Not open for further replies.