• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

route101

Established Member
I wonder when the low height e400s get replaced, they will replace them with low heights or just singles for the 6.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
If the bridge is 13’6 then the E400MMCs wouldn’t make it under there. What are the low height E400s used on the 6?

PaulMc7

Established Member
I wonder when the low height e400s get replaced, they will replace them with low heights or just singles for the 6.
I think the 6 will go all single decker eventually and to be honest I wouldn't mind it being soon going by the condition of the seating on the double deckers. Sitting on bricks would be more comfortable than the seats on the ones I've been on lately.

GALLANTON

If the bridge is 13’6 then the E400MMCs wouldn’t make it under there. What are the low height E400s used on the 6?

As I've stated, the bridge is PLATED 13'6 but bridges are normally a few inches higher than what the sign says for safety reasons. It's likely that the bridge is actually around the 14'0 mark give or take.

Bus Lightyear

Thoughts?

(Image shows a dual-door Alexander-Dennis Enviro 400MMC)
Twin Door buses in the UK with the exception of London have provided very little success.

33268 and 34368 are coming back. The expressway crash was years ago, i think if they were replacing it that would have happened ages ago
The PVR reductions as a result of Covid is possibly the reason why the Long Term Unfits haven't yet returned to service.

Would the low height E400s fit under the Kilbowie bridge at Clydebank?

I feel like if it could be done they would have did it before now and avoided all the rerouting.
At one time a number of Strathclyde's Buses Leyland Olympians and Central Scottish/Kelvin Central Dennis Dominators were able to fit under that bridge but since then the height of the bridge has reduced and double decks will no longer fit under it.

The Maryhill archway is 14’03

a Gemini is 14’05”

Just don’t hit it!
Going back many years ago, the plate in the cab in the Leyland Atlanteans had them marked at 14'8'' and they regularly ran under this bridge and a few others like Burnside and Possil Road canal bridge.

There's no real reason that 1s could not access Clydebank bus station at Argyle Road, then continue to the usual route via Whitecrook Street and Barns Street. Dumbarton/Glasgow Road is a developing access to the College and new Health Centre which opens at the end of the Month.
That would mean missing out the busy Chalmers Street stops. Also what your suggesting takes directness away from the route and potentially adds more time and resource which would have to be compensated with an increase in passengers.

The 1s and 3s could similarly benefit from the use of double decks too
The service 3 does not need to be double deck as it mainly provides local links in sections. The 38 and 57 provide ample double deck capacity from Shawlands to the City and the 77 from Bath Street to Partick.

Last edited:

PaulMc7

Established Member
Having used the 3 in some of its local link sections it absolutely could do with some double deckers especially around peak times. Getting one in the West end is usually a nightmare with how busy they get. The south side of the city is exactly the same. I was on one to Pollokshaws West last week and even with a 38 and 57 infront of it out of Jamaica Street it was still standing room the whole way.

The other thing with the 3 is that with how bad the reliability actually is they tend to pile up meaning you could end up with significant loadings at random times hence another need for some deckers.

Twin Door buses in the UK with the exception of London have provided very little success.

The PVR reductions as a result of Covid is possibly the reason why the Long Term Unfits haven't yet returned to service.

At one time a number of Strathclyde's Buses Leyland Olympians and Central Scottish/Kelvin Central Dennis Dominators were able to fit under that bridge but since then the height of the bridge has reduced and double decks will no longer fit under it.

Going back many years ago, the plate in the cab in the Leyland Atlanteans had them marked at 14'8'' and they regularly ran under this bridge and a few others like Burnside and Possil Road canal bridge.

That would mean missing out the busy Chalmers Street stops. Also what your suggesting takes directness away from the route and potentially adds more time and resource which would have to be compensated with an increase in passengers.

The service 3 does not need to be double deck as it mainly provides local links in sections. The 38 and 57 provide ample double deck capacity from Shawlands to the City and the 77 from Bath Street to Partick.
If the 1s went to double deckers and used the bus station instead of Chalmers Street. Its not the end of the world. The bus station is only accross the road and a few yards away. Most passengers change from other services to the 1 at Chalmers Street but could go to the bus station or change at the next stop in Whitecrook Street as an alternative. Old habits tend to stay in place and not consider the reality of change. Hardly life changing.

PaulMc7

Established Member
If the 1s went to double deckers and used the bus station instead of Chalmers Street. Its not the end of the world. The bus station is only accross the road and a few yards away. Most passengers change from other services to the 1 at Chalmers Street but could go to the bus station or change at the next stop in Whitecrook Street as an alternative. Old habits tend to stay in place and not consider the reality of change. Hardly life changing.
I've always been surprised that some buses haven't been moved into the bus station instead of Chalmers Street to avoid overcrowding at that stop and passengers potentially missing their buses which I've seen happen plenty of times. The setup of the bus station isn't great but there's room there for something to change. If anything they could even move the buses that start in the bus station to there such as the 60, M60 and 81 instead of Chalmers Street. Would clear up some room at an already horrendously bad bus stop.

what underpowered ADL deckers?
I see people saying that the ex-75 deckers in Glasgow are off to First Midland? In place of there old Scanias? I driven those Scanias and I’ll tell you I’d take one of them any day over an ADL 400MMC.

Those 75 yellow buses are particular poor to accelerate.

Bus Lightyear

I see people saying that the ex-75 deckers in Glasgow are off to First Midland? In place of there old Scanias? I driven those Scanias and I’ll tell you I’d take one of them any day over an ADL 400MMC.

Those 75 yellow buses are particular poor to accelerate.
Most modern buses especially those that are Euro 6 are slower at pulling away and cornering to improve fuel consumption.

On motorways the E400MMC and 62/13 plate E300s certainly don't seem underpowered as some will easily go at 62mph.

Tom Gallacher

The very fact that you need to cross the road would make this a no-no on health and safety grounds.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld

I've always been surprised that some buses haven't been moved into the bus station instead of Chalmers Street to avoid overcrowding at that stop and passengers potentially missing their buses which I've seen happen plenty of times. The setup of the bus station isn't great but there's room there for something to change. If anything they could even move the buses that start in the bus station to there such as the 60, M60 and 81 instead of Chalmers Street. Would clear up some room at an already horrendously bad bus stop.

The very fact that you need to cross the road would make this a no-no on health and safety grounds.

Regarding the bus station in Clydebank, is it a proper bus station or simply a large turning circle that buses can park for a layover?

I am referring to east of Clydebank station on the same side of the road if that makes sense, as it has been many years since I last visited Clydebank.

Joerf21

The ones could go by new road at cally bridge, then argyle road chalmers street, then right towards old playdrome turning circle, with new stops near shopping centre

Bus Lightyear

If the 1s went to double deckers and used the bus station instead of Chalmers Street. Its not the end of the world.
The route you're suggesting is too indirect for passengers travelling across Clydebank and will only cost more resource as you cant do that route change within the same running time. With so much uncertainty in the industry, operators will be reluctant to increase the amount of peak buses when it isn't really that necessary.

route101

Established Member
Regarding the bus station in Clydebank, is it a proper bus station or simply a large turning circle that buses can park for a layover?

I am referring to east of Clydebank station on the same side of the road if that makes sense, as it has been many years since I last visited Clydebank.
Its a not a bus station to me. Merely a layover point. Now and then you will pull into it and the driver will go to the toilet.

what underpowered ADL deckers?
The E4O0s such as the low heights seem underpowered. I was on a First West of England one and it struggled to get up the hills.

Bus Lightyear

I've always been surprised that some buses haven't been moved into the bus station instead of Chalmers Street.
The bus station isn't really passenger friendly and why would they take buses further away from the shops?

At one time every bus used to serve the bus station but in the last 20 years or so it's only terminating services as operators probably felt it was too much of a hinderance.

PaulMc7

Established Member
The bus station isn't really passenger friendly and why would they take buses further away from the shops?

At one time every bus used to serve the bus station but in the last 20 years or so it's only terminating services as operators probably felt it was too much of a hinderance.
It adds about 30 seconds of walking at most plus as I say the amount of times I've seen people miss buses due to loads being there at once isn't low. It would also work out okay for the buses that start there hence my previous suggestion. You're moving some to help the others become easier to stop and it wouldn't make it harder for the ones that start there.

The route you're suggesting is too indirect for passengers travelling across Clydebank and will only cost more resource as you cant do that route change within the same running time. With so much uncertainty in the industry, operators will be reluctant to increase the amount of peak buses when it isn't really that necessary.
To be fair the 1s go back to a normal timetable next Monday and we all know how loaded the peak part of it is. I'd hardly say it's "resource friendly" to be honest. It definitely needed more than the upped Saturday service but not the normal Monday to Friday amount of buses especially when you've got the 2 that's less frequent and standing room constantly on single deckers from Yoker onwards to the City Centre

My view is that buses coming further afield shouldn’t be a substitute for the city services. I.E 2 & 6 services.

If d/decker vehicles were to be placed on the 1s, Dumbarton Rd > Clydebank Interchange(bus station) > Dumbarton Rd… No Yoker/Barns street for them, that would make them sharper still into Glasgow from Balloch/Helensburgh and Dumbarton.

FrankieB86

Having used the 3 in some of its local link sections it absolutely could do with some double deckers especially around peak times. Getting one in the West end is usually a nightmare with how busy they get. The south side of the city is exactly the same. I was on one to Pollokshaws West last week and even with a 38 and 57 infront of it out of Jamaica Street it was still standing room the whole way.

The other thing with the 3 is that with how bad the reliability actually is they tend to pile up meaning you could end up with significant loadings at random times hence another need for some deckers.
Completely agree, especially during peaks a lot of south side residents choose the 3 over the 38 and 57 as there’s no driver changeovers to worry about at eglinton toll

Completely agree, especially during peaks a lot of south side residents choose the 3 over the 38 and 57 as there’s no driver changeovers to worry about at eglinton toll
The 38 especially hasn’t been a great attraction since they put so many variations on the route.

The 3 changing drivers at eglinton toll is a pretty circumstantial reason why someone wouldn't get a 3.

The same could be said for 60s & 61s on Maryhill rd, people just use which ever turns up.

GALLANTON

The 38 especially hasn’t been a great attraction since they put so many variations on the route.

The 3 changing drivers at eglinton toll is a pretty circumstantial reason why someone wouldn't get a 3.

The same could be said for 60s & 61s on Maryhill rd, people just use which ever turns up.

The 3 doesn't change drivers at Eglinton Toll, why would it? It's a Scotstoun route.

Tom Gallacher

Which bridge precisley? Dumbarton Road has a few bridges over it.
Thanks, I know where you're talking about now but I've never heard it being called that. Back on the subject of deckers on the 1 route can I suggest routing them via Duntocher Rd to the Kilbowie roundabout and then down Kilbowie Rd. To make up for the additional time I'd then miss out Barns Street and run them along Glasgow Rd instead, there's no need for the amount of buses that use Barns St anyway in my opinion.

Edit: Sorry this was in reply to another poster (joerf21) - hopefully it makes sense.

Stan Drews

Established Member
As I've stated, the bridge is PLATED 13'6 but bridges are normally a few inches higher than what the sign says for safety reasons. It's likely that the bridge is actually around the 14'0 mark give or take.
The Kilbowie Road bridge used to be plated as 13’9” when the Leyland Olympians ruled the roost on the 66/66A/66B routes that negotiated it. Once it was ‘lowered’ to 13’6” that precluded the use of low-height double deckers of any make.