• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
I see Aberdeen’s Yutongs have now been withdrawn from service in Glasgow and most are now in service with Aberdeen.

They were nice buses whilst here. Hopefully some day in the future Glasgow might see some.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route101

Established Member
I see Aberdeen’s Yutongs have now been withdrawn from service in Glasgow and most are now in service with Aberdeen.

They were nice buses whilst here. Hopefully some day in the future Glasgow might see some.
Was lucky to get a ride on one on a 7A on Saturday !

vla50

Sorry to the moderator who deleted my message, I was a bit too ambiguous, but does anyone know what B9s are cascading out of Glasgow to reach Cornwall? Many thanks :)

Sorry to the moderator who deleted my message, I was a bit too ambiguous, but does anyone know what B9s are cascading out of Glasgow to reach Cornwall? Many thanks :)
Great news.

37241/2/4 reported as on the way however 37241 broke down and is at Taunton depot. I don’t know anything about any more coming.

First Bus have announced service changes on social media & their website effective from September. The list also includes details of services from other operators under The Transport for Cornwall (TfC) banner.

Full details are shown below:-

News and service updates | First Bus

From the First SW forum; 37241/37242/37244 heading for Cornwall.

Volvodart

Established Member
First Glasgow announces increase in frequency for services 2 and 3

The bus operator is making changes that will increase the frequency of buses on both routes, offering an improved service for over 600,000 people per month in Glasgow.
First Glasgow has announced an increase in frequency for services 2 and 3 from 20th August which will improve services for over 600,000 people per month in the city.

The move will see service 2 - which runs from Faifley, through the city centre to Baillieston - increase in frequency to every ten minutes. Meanwhile, service 3 - which runs from Drumchapel, through the city centre to Govan - will increase in frequency to every 12 minutes.

Both routes have seen significant growth in passenger number recovery following the pandemic and First Glasgow has utilised this data to help allocate its resource to meet this demand.

Graeme Macfarlan, Commercial Director for First Bus in Scotland, said: “We have been delighted to see the number of people using services 2 and 3 grow in recent months as passenger recovery post-pandemic continues to grow.

“We recognised that to meet this significant demand, we must increase the frequency of our services on both routes, and these improvements will benefit over 600,000 people who use them every month.

“Those benefits cannot be underestimated, and we hope these changes will further improve the customer experience as we connect people across the city.”

First Glasgow has also confirmed minor timetable adjustments to improve service reliability on services M11, M60, 81.

In Lanarkshire, minor timetable adjustments to improve service reliability on services 255, 263 and 266 will start from Sunday 6th August. Please check new timetable for revised timings.

Timetables are here:-

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
First Glasgow announces increase in frequency for services 2 and 3

Timetables are here:-

That will justify using E200EVs over deckers. I wonder if the plan will still be to operate some deckers on the 2 and 3 to allow some of the electrics to operate the 8, 90 and 16 like they have been doing. I’m surprised the 2 ever had a frequency decrease in the first place!

That will justify using E200EVs over deckers. I wonder if the plan will still be to operate some deckers on the 2 and 3 to allow some of the electrics to operate the 8, 90 and 16 like they have been doing. I’m surprised the 2 ever had a frequency decrease in the first place!
I wonder what that means for drivers…

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I wonder what that means for drivers…
Cancellations due to driver shortages don't seem as bad as they were, for instance this time last year, in my personal experience now. If anything it's roadworks, diversions and traffic (nornal or due to events) that seem to be the biggest disruptor to running the services as scheduled or near enough.

Cancellations due to driver shortages don't seem as bad as they were, for instance this time last year, in my personal experience now. If anything it's roadworks, diversions and traffic (nornal or due to events) that seem to be the biggest disruptor to running the services as scheduled or near enough.
“Cancelations” shouldn’t be heard of before you increase frequencies, which obviously needs more resources. Surplus drivers before increases is what’s needed and that is what they don't have. I expect extra work being loaded on to drivers unnecessarily is the wrong course of action. This does not take into account potential drivers sickness.

Roadworks & diversions (including events) are usually known in advance and the lacklustre way in which diversion information is relayed to passengers isn’t great in itself.

Last edited by a moderator:

hexagon789

Veteran Member
“Cancelations” shouldn’t be heard of before you increase frequencies of which obviously needs more resources, surplus drivers before increases is what’s needed and that is what they do t have, I expect extra work being loaded on to drivers unnecessarily is the wrong course of action, this does not take into account potential drivers sickness.

Roadworks & Diversion(including events), These are usually known in advance, the lack luster way in which diversion information is relayed to passengers isn’t great in itself.
Given First don't publish a daily cancellations list unlike McGills, it's difficult to be certain if a bus is indeed cancelled or simply running very late in the next timeslot.

Perhaps a more accurate phrasing would be 'buses not appearing at or within 5 mins of the scheduled time' has decreased.

Bus Lightyear

Roadworks & diversions (including events) are usually known in advance
You would be surprised.

I expect extra work being loaded on to drivers unnecessarily is the wrong course of action
Surely increasing frequencies takes pressure off the drivers at least in the short term as there will be more buses carrying the same amount of passengers until the numbers travelling build back up again.

GordonT

“Cancelations” shouldn’t be heard of before you increase frequencies, which obviously needs more resources. Surplus drivers before increases is what’s needed and that is what they don't have.
I thought the plan was to redeploy drivers freed up by the withdrawal of night services from 20th August?

I thought the plan was to redeploy drivers freed up by the withdrawal of night services from 20th August?
Ask yourself what was is the most favourable approach for passengers.

Removing night buses to place a few extra buses on road during the day or keep night buses and operate fewer day buses, but those day buses could’ve been diesel.

83G/84D

Established Member
37241 has arrived at Camborne yesterday on transfer. Reports from a usually reliable source that more are coming next week although not sure which ones.

Attachments

• IMG_4941.jpeg
    IMG_4941.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 89

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
37241 has arrived at Camborne yesterday on transfer. Reports from a usually reliable source that more are coming next week although not sure which ones.
Wow why so shabby :o

With the way things are going I think Glasgow will eventually have an all ADL fleet minus the Streetlites once they phase all B9TLs out.

MasterSpenny

There seems to be an enormous amount of BYD / Enviro200 EVs on order, there are almost 100!
Registrations for the new BYD/ADLs (from 64180 onwards):
64180-87 - TBC
64188 - LG23EYC
64189-91 - TBC
64192 - LG23EYJ
64193-5 - TBC
64196 - LG23EYO
Will post the rest when I see a confirmation of them.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
There seems to be an enormous amount of BYD / Enviro200 EVs on order, there are almost 100!
64180-87 - TBC
64188 - LG23EYC
64189-91 - TBC
64192 - LG23EYJ
64193-5 - TBC
64196 - LG23EYO
Isn’t it just the 50 on order for Scotstoun? To which a handful are already in service?

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
I wonder if there will be anymore EV orders for Glasgow or if they’ll wait a year or so before replacing the B9TLs.

Rory N

What is it with first Glasgow being so inconsistent with Fleet names. Most carry the Glasgow fleet name, some carry Lanarkshire and some carry none. Not all carry the web address either. I understand if the Lanarkshire Depots want a separate one from Glasgow however it all feels to inconsistent.

stevenedin

What is it with first Glasgow being so inconsistent with Fleet names. Most carry the Glasgow fleet name, some carry Lanarkshire and some carry none. Not all carry the web address either. I understand if the Lanarkshire Depots want a separate one from Glasgow however it all feels to inconsistent.
They would be better not having names and just stuck to standard First in my opinion. It’s such a mess now all over First Group operations and buses keep having to be repainted every time buses move between areas.

sannox

64180-87 - TBC
64188 - LG23EYC
64189-91 - TBC
64192 - LG23EYJ
64193-5 - TBC
64196 - LG23EYO
Any reason why these buses are coming with London registrations?

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
They would be better not having names and just stuck to standard First in my opinion. It’s such a mess now all over First Group operations and buses keep having to be repainted every time buses move between areas.
I’d love to know what it’s costing them to be constantly repainting buses into different liveries. First Glasgow was painted into a fairly standard livery but it’s barely used out with Glasgow so makes no difference.

In recent years the buses which have been cascaded out from Glasgow have gone to areas which have their own local livery. For example Aberdeen, FSE, Kernow, Essex, Berkshires.

I think having a standard uniform livery worked best. With First putting a lot of their operations up for sale perhaps it’s been deliberate to distance themselves from the standard First look

route101

Established Member
Any reason why these buses are coming with London registrations?
Don't think buses are registered locally anymore. Last ones that were registered locally were B9TLs in late 2000s.

64180-87 - TBC
64188 - LG23EYC
64189-91 - TBC
64192 - LG23EYJ
64193-5 - TBC
64196 - LG23EYO
Too many single deckers; are E400s on order too?