• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Group Trainee Train Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

train_lover

I had my DMI with GWR yesterday and received confirmation today that I passed and have been placed in the Talent Pool for Oxford.

My interview was with the driver managers for both Reading and Oxford (who were both lovely and really relaxed, friendly interviewers in case anyone has a DMI coming up).

They asked me several times if I was applying for Reading or Oxford and I selected Oxford as I have a friend that lives there, but otherwise I have no connection to either and would be equally happy with Reading.

Does anyone have any knowledge of what the different routes / depots are like as places to work. I am happy to wait for a place at Oxford, but given that I was only interviewed by managers from both locations this week it may be possible to switch to the reading pool if there was a compelling reason to.
Big congratulations. I had my DMI on Tuesday too but haven't heard anything

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Static65

No medical yet. Based on others experiences I'm not expecting things to move very quickly for quite some time now, though I only applied in December so no complaints at the speed things have moved so far.

Eggs&Bacon

For which depot/company?

GWR. Paddington/Oxford.

I was told back in July 2018 whilst waiting for a MMI date, that there wasn’t now any predicated vacancies and they would keep my score on file.

So it’s come out of the blue, as I had given up a little bit to be honest. :D

Daydr3am3r

Been invited for a MMI today after passing stage 1 in May 2018. Just incase anyone’s wondering how long the process can take.

Wow. My email said “MMI in due course” so I better bed in now for a long wait until next contact!

diana

Hello, is anybody going to the second assessment for GWR trainee drivers in Swindon soon?
I understand we'll have computerised tests and interview? is that right?

Daydr3am3r

Yes just received the email today! SJT and MMI.
The email doesn’t include them but I presume that it will also cover the computerised tests, or will this be on another day?

Lewis H

Yes just received the email today! SJT and MMI.
The email doesn’t include them but I presume that it will also cover the computerised tests, or will this be on another day?
If I’m correct in what I’m thinking, the SJT is the tests you do immediately before your MMI on computer, and it’s not pass or fail, your responses are just taken into consideration for the interview.

Daydr3am3r

So are the other computerised assessments on the same day or another? Struggling to get my time off at the moment!

Chuggintons

I was wondering the same thing about the computerised tests. I wonder if the emails sent out aren't up to date as the email for the first assessment said we would do the computer tests and that didn't happen. :s

train_lover

So are the other computerised assessments on the same day or another? Struggling to get my time off at the moment!
You would do the computer tests before the MMI. You would normally only do the MMI if you have passed the computer tests on the day

Daydr3am3r

You would do the computer tests before the MMI. You would normally only do the MMI if you have passed the computer tests on the day

Thanks for the update. We only did paper tests on stage 1 assessment day, and were told if successful computerised tests would follow on stage 2, and this was different to our original email which said we would completely computerised tests on stage 1.

Lewis H

Thanks for the update. We only did paper tests on stage 1 assessment day, and were told if successful computerised tests would follow on stage 2, and this was different to our original email which said we would completely computerised tests on stage 1.
It baffles me as to why all TOCs seem to do it differently. With SWR, you sit all assessments in the same day, paper and computerised, which I think is much simpler, after that it was an SJT before the MMI, but as previously mentioned, it wasn’t pass or fail, it was just to get an understanding of your responses to certain situations.

Daydr3am3r

The processes are very different. From a candidate perspective I think it’s best to do as much as possible in one day to avoid asking people to take too many days off of work. This would take longer and cost more money for the TOC so are probably factors why they don’t always do that.

paulwestwood

The processes are very different. From a candidate perspective I think it’s best to do as much as possible in one day to avoid asking people to take too many days off of work. This would take longer and cost more money for the TOC so are probably factors why they don’t always do that.

You might find that because they’ve had so many applications that it easier for GWR to just do the paper tests first over separate locations, because when it comes to the computer tests there only a certain amount of terminals they can use to administer the tests and also only a certain amount of assessment staff signed off to oversee each group of candidates doing these tests.

Twotwo

Also the first stage filters out a lot of people. But those who do manage to pass stage one have a higher chance of passing stage 2. There was 6 of us and 5 of us passed...

Daydr3am3r

Also the first stage filters out a lot of people. But those who do manage to pass stage one have a higher chance of passing stage 2. There was 6 of us and 5 of us passed...

Only 6! Which TOC was that Twotwo? And did you find out the result on the day then?

Twotwo

Only 6! Which TOC was that Twotwo? And did you find out the result on the day then?

Sorry I wasn’t clear. On stage one there was about 30. Not sure how many passed but I do know it filters out a lot of people. I found out my results after two weeks. Stage two was on another day and normally about 6 people and 5 of us passed and went to the MMI. This was for C2C.

Daydr3am3r

Sorry I wasn’t clear. On stage one there was about 30. Not sure how many passed but I do know it filters out a lot of people. I found out my results after two weeks. Stage two was on another day and normally about 6 people and 5 of us passed and went to the MMI. This was for C2C.

Ah ok thank you. How has your journey been since the day 2 assessments?

Stigy

Established Member
Thanks! Hope you get good news soon too. They initially said results in a week so I was surprised the email came through so quickly.
I think they are generally quick for those locations. I have a friend who had the same situation for Reading. I'm assuming they need quite a few drivers there?

Last edited:

Stigy

Established Member
I had my DMI yesterday and it went really well (I think!). I'd go as far as to say it was the best interview I've had recently, or certainly felt like it at least. It's the only time recently at an interview I haven't 'gone blank' and got a little stuck on a few questions, and it certainly seemed like I was giving answers they were happy with. The downside for me, is that the depot for which I applied only has one vacancy apparently, possible two in the near future. I wasn't asked if I could commute to other depots, but I think I had to put three possibles down on my application form? At a push I could do Reading from where I live, and if offered it, would of course have no issues with this, but it's about an hour by road. I'm crossing my fingers once more.

Regarding the pool....It's more of a bathtub to be fair, as they said the course for the depot I applied for was scheduled for March? To me, that seems like a straightforward job offer to anyone who's successful, rather than being put in a pool?

Good luck to everybody else in the process!

Tracker400

I had my DMI yesterday and it went really well (I think!). I'd go as far as to say it was the best interview I've had recently, or certainly felt like it at least. It's the only time recently at an interview I haven't 'gone blank' and got a little stuck on a few questions, and it certainly seemed like I was giving answers they were happy with. The downside for me, is that the depot for which I applied only has one vacancy apparently, possible two in the near future. I wasn't asked if I could commute to other depots, but I think I had to put three possibles down on my application form? At a push I could do Reading from where I live, and if offered it, would of course have no issues with this, but it's about an hour by road. I'm crossing my fingers once more.

Regarding the pool....It's more of a bathtub to be fair, as they said the course for the depot I applied for was scheduled for March? To me, that seems like a straightforward job offer to anyone who's successful, rather than being put in a pool?

Good luck to everybody else in the process!

Fingers crossed for you Stigy. Out of curiosity which depot have you applied for?

Tracker400

Thanks!

I applied for Fratton. I knew it was a smaller depot anyway so can't really say it surprises me.

Ahh nice. Well once again fingers crossed there’s a space available for you there. I’m currently in the pool for Oxford. Hoping spaces become available there soon too.

Stigy

Established Member
Fingers crossed Stigy!

Did they say how long it would be until you find out?

They said a week, and I have a feeling it will be a week for Fratton, as I guess they'd want to interview all candidates first before making a decision. With bigger depots with more vacancies I guess they can just recruit more willy-nilly as they'll be in a position to recruit a load of the high scorers if that makes sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.