1. 125Group forum donation: see here!

First Group Trainee Train Drivers

Discussion in 'Railway Jobs & Careers' started by Quote, 29 Nov 2018.

1. Daydr3am3r

Daydr3am3r Member

That is a long day! At least you know how you did on the day though.

It was just the paper tests today, and if successful stage 2 is the computerised tests and MMI.

2. Lewis H

Lewis H Member

The computer tests are fairly simple I think, the one you watch the black square seems to take forever but easy enough

3. PaulBusDriver

PaulBusDriver Member

I passed to national standard too for another TOC and like you have done the online assessments but am yet to hear anything back.

It looks like we will be waiting for the stage 1 assessments to be complete before we get a date for the stage 2 assessments.

4. TTD85

TTD85 Member

Where did you apply for?

5. PaulBusDriver

PaulBusDriver Member

I applied for Gloucester

6. Daydr3am3r

Daydr3am3r Member

As far as I am aware the only two depots with assessment dates so far are Exeter age Bristol, so that could be why.

7. Chuggintons

Chuggintons New Member

I was also at the morning session of the Exeter assessment day, I agree that about 20 - 25 people attended.
    Did anyone attend the afternoon session? I wonder if similar numbers attended in the afternoon, or did more people prefer the morning session?

8. Stigy

Stigy Established Member

Received an invite today for a DMI for Fratton. Wasn’t expecting Ito be honest as I’d heard a lot had received invites already. I don’t have to do any of the psychometric assesments as I have done them all and passed in one way or another in the last five years. Fingers crossed for this one.

9. martin2345uk

martin2345uk Established Member

Great news Stigy!!! Everything crossed for you!

10. Daydr3am3r

Daydr3am3r Member

Congratulations! What is the date for your DMI?

11. Stigy

Stigy Established Member

Thanks, much appreciated. :D

12. Stigy

Stigy Established Member

Thanks, it’s on 24th Jan. I’m a tad confused to be honest. A mate of mine who is a depot driver also got an interview for GWR, but was told that he would need to do the psychometric tests again as his current ones expire soon (I thought they were for life, but apparently not for depot drivers?). I am also led to believe that GWR allow you to use the test passes for 5 years, hence why I have gone straight to interview. So I wonder why they on the one hand say he needs to redo the assessments, and on the other hand invite him to a DMI in the first instance? Seems there’s a lot of inconsistencies in HR departments?

I’ve never known a TOC invite a candidate to a DMI when they haven’t completed the assessments , as that surely makes no sense?

13. Daydr3am3r

Daydr3am3r Member

That does sound a tad strange! At least you don’t have long to wait for your interview.

14. tiptoptaff

tiptoptaff Established Member

Be prepared for a long wait for Fratton. No obvious need for drivers at this time, just setting up a pool. You may face the risk of yours expiring while you're waiting.

15. Daydr3am3r

Daydr3am3r Member

Found out this afternoon that I have been successful at stage 1 assessments. Now onto stage 2!!!!!!

16. Lewis H

Lewis H Member

Congrats!

17. Daydr3am3r

Daydr3am3r Member

Thanks Lewis.

One step closer!!

18. RailRoadRover

RailRoadRover Member

Does anyone know what the current starting trainee salary is? Is it still £29k?

19. baz962

baz962 Established Member

Sorry . to clarify any confusion, I trained with and drive for a different company. I was just letting people know that the Aslef site isn't always correct.

20. RailRoadRover

RailRoadRover Member

Oh right thank you for clarifying that. I am aware that the Aslef site can be a little outdated regarding the salary and terms and conditions

21. Lewis H

Lewis H Member

In my DMI the other day, the training salary for SWR was starting at £24k plus London weight, but regular increments throughout training.

22. Val3ntine

Val3ntine Member

I wouldn’t say the increments are regular per say at SWR. You’re on the inital wage for about 3 months, pass rules and you get a couple of grand more. Then you’re on that for a pretty long time, varies between 8-12 months before it takes you to do traction and complete all your hours with a DI before hopefully getting your key. Then about 3-6 months of route learning before you’re on the full whack.

Last edited: 17 Jan 2019 at 22:46
  23. Lewis H

Lewis H Member

That’s a lot more regular than any other job you’re going to find though!

24. Val3ntine

Val3ntine Member

Oh very true!!

25. TheVicLine

TheVicLine Member

Not sure about GWR but others within First Group you get your starting trainee salary, this is increased when you complete your training and "pass out" to about £5k (ish) below the full drivers salary. You are then a PQA driver for a year, when your PQA period is completed your salary again rises, this time to the full drivers wage.
    After 3 years your holiday allowance is also brought in line with the rest of the drivers, up until then I think from memory you get 1 or 2 days less.

26. dean smith

dean smith New Member

I was informed early December that I had passed all the assessments for trainee Driver Reading, just waiting now for the next stage.
    Anyone any idea how long it usually takes before they send for you to go for medical etc?

27. Lewis H

Lewis H Member

How longs a piece of string!