• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Group Trainee Train Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daydr3am3r

Thanks for the heads up. Still no email yet but i'm hoping no news is good news.

In preparation for the above tests at the assessment centre, which is the best software to use / buy to practice with? how2become.com seems to have a 'full package' but the names of the tests seem different.

Any advice on where I should be spending my money? Not bothered about cost, just want the accurate software to give myself a fighting chance to practice beforehand!

Regards,
Tom

In fairness the attachments in the email come with a lot of advice and examples to practice.

What depot did you apply for Tom?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stigy

Established Member
I spent quite a bit of time on my personal details and CV on my account but did not have to attach this to the application. Not sure if they have used this or if is simply the two online assessments at this stage.
So on your application, was there a place to attach a CV? I know FirstGroup use them sometimes, but the two ‘squares’ in the online portal which usually ask for your CV and cover letter were missing? I’m an internal candidate but that shouldn’t make a difference.

I just don’t see how they can papersift applicants at this stage without a CV or a structured application form? Because there’s no VSE, and the SJT and numerical test you sit initially are so simple, it seems the only way to actually sift people is by looking at their employment history over the past few years on the application form (arguably a CV in itself, but no cover letter or anything else present which would give one a chance to sell themselves as good applicants for the role?).

tiptoptaff

Established Member
So on your application, was there a place to attach a CV? I know FirstGroup use them sometimes, but the two ‘squares’ in the online portal which usually ask for your CV and cover letter were missing? I’m an internal candidate but that shouldn’t make a difference.

I just don’t see how they can papersift applicants at this stage without a CV or a structured application form? Because there’s no VSE, and the SJT and numerical test you sit initially are so simple, it seems the only way to actually sift people is by looking at their employment history over the past few years on the application form (arguably a CV in itself, but no cover letter or anything else present which would give one a chance to sell themselves as good applicants for the role?).
They only usually ask for the CV to be attached to MS grade applications and above

Daydr3am3r

No attachment for a CV, I added as much detail as I could to the employment history to try and evidence everything that I have done that would make me a potential candidate.
I figured as they gave you something like 5000 characters for each example I’d fill it as best as I could, as this could make all the difference.

In fairness the attachments in the email come with a lot of advice and examples to practice.

What depot did you apply for Tom?

Ok fair enough. Will have to wait and see if I’m successful. I’ve applied for Exeter, but also put Penzance as second choice just in case, however not sure the other half will want to move that far down!

Tom

soswales

Received an email today inviting me to an assessment centre for GWR Trainee Train Driver talent pool.

Does anyone have any useful tips in order to best prepare myself for the day? :)

Thanks

Stigy

Established Member
Received an email today inviting me to an assessment centre for GWR Trainee Train Driver talent pool.

Does anyone have any useful tips in order to best prepare myself for the day? :)

Thanks
Well done and congrats!

Best advice I can give is use the practise material they supply but don’t live and breathe it. The tests aren’t a test of knowledge so don’t require much other than an awareness of what to expect on the day. The tests aren’t complicated, but if you think too much about them they will soon become complicated.

soswales

Well done and congrats!

Best advice I can give is use the practise material they supply but don’t live and breathe it. The tests aren’t a test of knowledge so don’t require much other than an awareness of what to expect on the day. The tests aren’t complicated, but if you think too much about them they will soon become complicated.

Thank you! Got my assessment centre booked for early Feb.

On the email it states all the tests previously mentioned on this forum post but no mention of an interview.
On the training material it states there would be an interview. Do you think this will be the case or if I pass all the tests then I would get invited back for an interview?

"What tests will I take?
At this first stage you will take the following paper tests : -
Group Bourdon (GBD) -
The Test of Everyday Attention (TEA-Occ) - Trainability for Rules & procedures Parts 1 and 2 (TRP) -
Written Communications Test (WCT)

You will also take the following computer based exercises: -
The WAFV Vigilance Test
- The ATAVT Perception Test - The Situational Judgement Exercise (SJE)

Thanks

Josh Bussell

Congrats!!! Which depo/s did you apply for?

I applied for Bristol and have not heard anything yet.
Well done and congrats!

soswales

Congrats!!! Which depo/s did you apply for?

I applied for Bristol and have not heard anything yet.

I applied for Bristol as my first choice. They are likely still going through applications I would have thought considering so many people applied.
No news is good news as they say! Good luck! :)

Stigy

Established Member

On the email it states all the tests previously mentioned on this forum post but no mention of an interview.
On the training material it states there would be an interview. Do you think this will be the case or if I pass all the tests then I would get invited back for an interview?

"What tests will I take?
Group Bourdon (GBD) -
The Test of Everyday Attention (TEA-Occ) - Trainability for Rules & procedures Parts 1 and 2 (TRP) -

The WAFV Vigilance Test

Thanks
You’ll sit the MMI interview at a later date. The MMI (multi-modal Interview) is part of the assesment process. If you pass the MMI, you’ll be invited to a DMI (Driver Manager Interview).

Jaytrains

"What tests will I take?
Group Bourdon (GBD) -

The WAFV Vigilance Test

Thanks
Does the email also tell u which depot the selected u for? Or does it only tell u about the assessment?

soswales

Does the email also tell u which depot the selected u for? Or does it only tell u about the assessment?

No, there is no mention on the email as to what depot I was selected for however I only live within the distance for Bristol, None of the others so unsure how that would work.
I got to go to Reading for my assessment.

I have emailed recruitment to confirm if the assessment is for Bristol.

Last edited:

Fiesta89

Anyone got any tips for the DMI with GWR that have gone through the process? Ive passed assessments elsewhere so hoping i can go through to interview in due course

Des587

Anyone got any tips for the DMI with GWR that have gone through the process? Ive passed assessments elsewhere so hoping i can go through to interview in due course

Have you an interview? If so when

Lewis H

In my experience of First Group, they’re really quick and very good at keeping you updated, i had my assessments back in August, my DMI offered in November which I couldn’t make, but it was rebooked for next week (I expected to never hear from them again after turning down the first interview ). The TOC is SWR

In my experience of First Group, they’re really quick and very good at keeping you updated, i had my assessments back in August, my DMI offered in November which I couldn’t make, but it was rebooked for next week (I expected to never hear from them again after turning down the first interview ). The TOC is SWR

I think it varies hugely. I've been waiting 11 months for a DMI with SWR. They do have a separate HR department from the rest of First Group so it's difficult to compare

Fiesta89

Have you an interview? If so when
I have passed assessments and hoping GWR will accept them meaning only have DMI.. potentially. So looking for advice on what it entails, dont have a date for an interview think that will be long time away, if at all! Have done some research trying to get prepared :)

simonw22

I got an email today asking to attend stage 1 assessments but ive already completed everything. Ive rang them and there having to double check and get bk to me. I assured them i passed in Nov 2018

TTD85

Has anyone who has already passed the tests received anything back? I haven’t heard a thing

TTD85

Anyone from GWR heard anything - those who have passed the the tests previously?

Status
Not open for further replies.