• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Group Trainee Train Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stigy

Established Member
Well done :D ... hopefully you’ll be joining the first group family soon!
Thanks!

I’m already in the FirstGroup family for another TOC, but the change still can’t come soon enough :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

diana

sorry to be silly, I am new to all this, what is DMI please? Thank you

PaulBusDriver

Just for anyone waiting for a progress update following their application:

I applied to first and completed online assesments, Im a First Employee and have already completed Psychometric assesments for Freightliner and passed to the National standard.
I had not heard anything for two months and contacted First HR by email.
They told me my application is under review by a Manager and please be patient.

Stigy

Established Member
Just for anyone waiting for a progress update following their application:

I applied to first and completed online assesments, Im a First Employee and have already completed Psychometric assesments for Freightliner and passed to the National standard.
I had not heard anything for two months and contacted First HR by email.
They told me my application is under review by a Manager and please be patient.
I was the was in the same boat as you (or train? Haha...). I heard nothing for a good couple of months then was invited to my DMI. I then heard under a week later that I was in the pool. Judging by my email regarding the pool, and not surprisingly, it seems like they have a lot of applicants to assess and interview as there was no timescale about when those in the pool will likely hear about courses etc. I have prepared myself for a long wait, especially since the depot I applied for has very limited vacancies. We shall see.

With yours, do you have to do any other assesments? As far as I’m aware GWR only work to the national standard, but not 100% sure?

PaulBusDriver

I was the was in the same boat as you (or train? Haha...). I heard nothing for a good couple of months then was invited to my DMI. I then heard under a week later that I was in the pool. Judging by my email regarding the pool, and not surprisingly, it seems like they have a lot of applicants to assess and interview as there was no timescale about when those in the pool will likely hear about courses etc. I have prepared myself for a long wait, especially since the depot I applied for has very limited vacancies. We shall see.

With yours, do you have to do any other assesments? As far as I’m aware GWR only work to the national standard, but not 100% sure?
Hi mate, I have stage 2 assessments left(vienna, mmi, dmi etc) and I've applied for Gloucester which I would assume doesn't have as much throughput of staff as Bristol or Paddington say so I could be in for a long wait if I get in at all but I'm internal so I'm optimistic ill get a good chance.

Daydr3am3r

Paul have you completed any of the computerised assessments or just the paper ones at this stage?
In fairness someone correct me if I’m wrong but unless you only have the DMI outstanding the only depots to show progression are Exeter and Bristol. Seems like they could be prioritising these depending on necessity?

PaulBusDriver

Paul have you completed any of the computerised assessments or just the paper ones at this stage?
In fairness someone correct me if I’m wrong but unless you only have the DMI outstanding the only depots to show progression are Exeter and Bristol. Seems like they could be prioritising these depending on necessity?

I haven't done any of the computer tests yet and thanks that confirms what I thought.

Stigy

Established Member
Hi mate, I have stage 2 assessments left(vienna, mmi, dmi etc) and I've applied for Gloucester which I would assume doesn't have as much throughput of staff as Bristol or Paddington say so I could be in for a long wait if I get in at all but I'm internal so I'm optimistic ill get a good chance.
I’m internal too (not with GWR but FirstGroup as a whole). I think they naturally have more vacancies at larger hubs such as Reading and Paddington, but also my email says this;

“When the talent pool is complete (this means that all internal candidates have been Assessed and interviewed), everyone in the talent pool will be placed in order of their performance at interview”

Not sure why there was the but in brackets? Maybe that’s sent to internal applicants only?

Good luck with yours, keep us updated!

Static65

I’m internal too (not with GWR but FirstGroup as a whole). I think they naturally have more vacancies at larger hubs such as Reading and Paddington, but also my email says this;

“When the talent pool is complete (this means that all internal candidates have been Assessed and interviewed), everyone in the talent pool will be placed in order of their performance at interview”

Not sure why there was the but in brackets? Maybe that’s sent to internal applicants only?

I'm external and received the same wording in my email too.

Daydr3am3r

Oh, and I got an email from GWR this morning saying I was successful in my DMI and I’m now in a pool for Fratton! Really chuffed, just hope it materialises sooner rather than later as I’ve heard some horror stories about pools! I was told at DMI there will be a course in March, but I’m not going to hold my breath at this stage!

Sorry for spamming the thread :)

I see on the First Group website that they are advertising for trainee train drivers for SWR at Fratton at the moment as well!

tiptoptaff

Established Member

It's because Internal (and by that I mean, Internal Proper, GWR employees) applicants go ahead of anyone else, so before forming a pool in the right order, they need to have finished processing all of their applications. It's where they decide if they actually need an external pool at all.

Stigy

Established Member
It's because Internal (and by that I mean, Internal Proper, GWR employees) applicants go ahead of anyone else, so before forming a pool in the right order, they need to have finished processing all of their applications. It's where they decide if they actually need an external pool at all.
Thanks for clarifying. I must say I’m confused about the whole internal candidate thing. I appreciate that GWR staff are ‘proper’ internal candidates for GWR, however if that’s the case, what’s the point in allowing other FirstGroup applicants apply using the internal process? Surely all FirstGroup staff to apply would be internal if that’s the case?

For example, when SWR were part of Stagecoach, along with other TOCs, we still had our own internal processes and were separate to Stagecoach Group. I understand that in that case, if at the time I applied for a job with stagecoach or another TOC ‘under them’, I’d be an external candidate. This case seems different though?

Numbnuts846

Thanks for clarifying. I must say I’m confused about the whole internal candidate thing. I appreciate that GWR staff are ‘proper’ internal candidates for GWR, however if that’s the case, what’s the point in allowing other FirstGroup applicants apply using the internal process? Surely all FirstGroup staff to apply would be internal if that’s the case?

For example, when SWR were part of Stagecoach, along with other TOCs, we still had our own internal processes and were separate to Stagecoach Group. I understand that in that case, if at the time I applied for a job with stagecoach or another TOC ‘under them’, I’d be an external candidate. This case seems different though?

I asked the same question when a guards position came up with swr at weymouth and was told even tho I'm a guard with gwr I would have to sit the assessment like any other person applying . Internal is internal with gwr only which as you state is madness

simonw22

Anybody know what the training salary is for the first group trainee job? Ive been offered an interview but also already been accepted for crossrail. Gwr is alittle closer to my home so just wondering

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Anybody know what the training salary is for the first group trainee job? Ive been offered an interview but also already been accepted for crossrail. Gwr is alittle closer to my home so just wondering
27ish

simonw22

Also those who have been accepted, what have you been told will happen from acceptance? Waiting time etc.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Also those who have been accepted, what have you been told will happen from acceptance? Waiting time etc.

GWR will tell you absolutely nothing until they want you. And ringing for updates will get you nothing either. They treat Internals the same. Its as if it's some great secret

simonw22

GWR will tell you absolutely nothing until they want you. And ringing for updates will get you nothing either. They treat Internals the same. Its as if it's some great secret
Thanks, thats no good to me think i will decline the offer and stick with crossrail i start 1st April.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Thanks, thats no good to me think i will decline the offer and stick with crossrail i start 1st April.
Personal choice, but I'd still choose GWR. Better work and higher salary.
They only make you a formal offer if they've got a start date for you. Passing the DMI isn't being offered a job

Stigy

Established Member
I’d go with Crossrail if you have an offer on the table. At present with GWR you have an interview offer. If they don’t offer you a job or even out you in a talent pool you could be back to square one.

simonw22

Personal choice, but I'd still choose GWR. Better work and higher salary.
They only make you a formal offer if they've got a start date for you. Passing the DMI isn't being offered a job
Hi gwr is less money 3k less in training and only 51k when trained crossrail is 59k. My dad and bestfriend works for gwr the actual company is not a problem but as i have a start date with crossrail il stick with them. My dad wanted me to use GWR as s back up incase amything happened but i cant be bothered with the hassle.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Hi gwr is less money 3k less in training and only 51k when trained crossrail is 59k. My dad and bestfriend works for gwr the actual company is not a problem but as i have a start date with crossrail il stick with them. My dad wanted me to use GWR as s back up incase amything happened but i cant be bothered with the hassle.
GWR is more than that (have you included the London weighting?) And it will increase to be a fair chunk more than CR by 2020.
If you have a start date stick with it. I didn't realise you didn't have a choice

Stigy

Established Member
GWR is more than that (have you included the London weighting?) And it will increase to be a fair chunk more than CR by 2020.
If you have a start date stick with it. I didn't realise you didn't have a choice
Doesn’t it depend on location? £51k was what I saw it was in one of the areas, and it’s higher the more central you’re based?

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Doesn’t it depend on location? £51k was what I saw it was in one of the areas, and it’s higher the more central you’re based?
Its to do with ex-LTV and ex-West but they've been harmonised so it no longer matters

Static65

I'm of the same mindset as Stigy. The talent pool email specifically states this is not an offer of a job and that the pool won't be ordered until all internals have been processed, which is probably some way off yet. I think it is more than likely that April will come long before a job offer with GWR and being in a GWR talent pool is no guarantee of a job.

Recent trainees with Crossrail on these boards all seem happy with the company too if that is a consideration.

That said, there is no harm in interviewing anyway, just incase Crossrail falls through, but I personally wouldn't be turning Crossrail down come April 1st if I didn't have a GWR contract in my hand.

Stigy

Established Member
I'm of the same mindset as Stigy. The talent pool email specifically states this is not an offer of a job and that the pool won't be ordered until all internals have been processed, which is probably some way off yet. I think it is more than likely that April will come long before a job offer with GWR and being in a GWR talent pool is no guarantee of a job.

Recent trainees with Crossrail on these boards all seem happy with the company too if that is a consideration.

That said, there is no harm in interviewing anyway, just incase Crossrail falls through, but I personally wouldn't be turning Crossrail down come April 1st if I didn't have a GWR contract in my hand.
Agreed. I’d definitely interview anyway as there’s nothing to lose at this stage.

Colin01

Has anyone heard anything for the GWR Victoria pool apart from that they will be in contact via email if there is any update?
Hi mate , just got email inviting me to interview for the talent pool for Paddington reading Heathrow vacancy.

Daydr3am3r

Well done Colin!

I take it that you have already completed the assessments with another TOC/FOC?

Status
Not open for further replies.