• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Scotland East (Midland Bluebird and West Lothian operations)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volvodart

Established Member
Staff shortages affecting service levels

https://www.firstbus.co.uk/south-ea...pdates/news/staff-shortages-affecting-service

Duncan Cameron, Interim Managing Director for First Bus in Scotland said:

“Along with many other organisations up and down the country, we are experiencing a higher-than-normal level of staff sickness and absence due to the current wave of Omnicron cases. The safety of our staff and customers will always be our number one priority.

“As a result, we are having to introduce a temporary reduced timetable across our First Midland and First West Lothian networks from January 10th and we would urge all customers to check the website for the latest information before travelling. It will be a Sunday timetable we will be running."

“We are doing everything we can to minimise disruption to services and inconvenience to our customers and our teams are working extra hard to ensure as many buses run as is possible."

“We are continuing to do everything we can to support and look after our colleagues whilst in the workplace with hand sanitizer, face coverings and enhanced cleaning taking place to minimise the risk of transmission of the virus. Our local teams continue to ensure our vehicles are cleaned regularly to a high standard.”

“We are constantly reviewing this and as our absence levels improve, we’ll work hard to reinstate more services as a matter of urgency.”

“I would like to apologise in advance to all customers who are affected by these timetable changes. For the latest information, we will continue to provide regular updates on services through our local websites www.firstscotlandeast.com and our social media platforms.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

overthewater

Established Member
Is a proper Sunday timetable or is it Sunday timetable with earlier start and later ends?

cammyeaston

I imagine that the Edinburgh tendered routes will continue to operate a normal service, as they are contracted to do so by City of Edinburgh Council?

overthewater

Established Member
This is becoming a shambles, How is it that First is in such awful trouble yet other operators are not?

PaulMc7

Established Member
This is becoming a shambles, How is it that First is in such awful trouble yet other operators are not?
I'd say it's a multitude of things to be fair. Covid obviously being one but then there's Brexit and the fact Livingston also has Lothian as a workplace option and I don't think I've ever heard of someone being positive regarding Bannockburn and Larbert or Balfron.

I've got a feeling that First may be having the issues with a driver shortage worse because of management more than anything not to mention the public also being an issue. Drivers take a lot of abuse from passengers for the daftest of things to be honest and there's only so much of that people can take while doing their job.

Bus Lightyear

Could posts 668 and 669 provide sources as these sound like quite damming allegations.

Also, does post 668 refer to First as a whole or just the area relevant to this thread?

PaulMc7

Established Member
Could posts 668 and 669 provide sources as these sound like quite damming allegations.

Also, does post 668 refer to First as a whole or just the area relevant to this thread?
It's not really a damning allegation just what I've seen online over the years I've had social media and whenever I've been out in those areas. If there's something about First it's usually followed by something negative about management or the company in general.

Bus Lightyear

It's not really a damning allegation just what I've seen online over the years I've had social media and whenever I've been out in those areas.
Social media is hardly reliable barometer and users will make their points sound worse than what they actually are behind anonymous accounts.

If there's something about First it's usually followed by something negative about management or the company in general.
As per one of the previous posters, is this a criticism of First Midland Bluebird or the whole group?

PaulMc7

Established Member
Social media is hardly reliable barometer and users will make their points sound worse than what they actually are behind anonymous accounts.

As per one of the previous posters, is this a criticism of First Midland Bluebird or the whole group?
I wouldn't personally say it's something you should always ignore either though especially in an industry that relies on the public using it and also when certain things are mentioned repeatedly it's definitely not for no reason. The lack of communication regarding all cancellations is something I've certainly seen mentioned plenty of times. First Midland Bluebird as it's relevant to the thread.

I'd also say social media will be especially vital with the current situation as it is. If you don't want to lose passengers going forward especially in an area that's brutally tough as it is then communication via social media needs to be spot on

overthewater

Established Member

It's not an allegation, it's pretty clear there a problem.. when a bus company has to start running Sunday a service during the week, when First Glasgow and Lothian are getting away with Saturday service, etc it's an extreme scale back. It's also not very clear what sort of a Sunday service is coming ie, basic Sunday service or a services level like Sundays but with 6am start.

I’d categorically say the whole company.

I don’t work with First but certainly experienced all the relevant problems with lack of drivers nowadays.

cnjb8

Established Member
It’s definitely not just First, operators across the UK are having staffing issues that will most likely get worse

Bus Lightyear

It's not an allegation, it's pretty clear there a problem.. when a bus company has to start running Sunday a service during the week, when First Glasgow and Lothian are getting away with Saturday service, etc it's an extreme scale back. It's also not very clear what sort of a Sunday service is coming ie, basic Sunday service or a services level like Sundays but with 6am start.
You have a point re the lack of clarity on early Sundays but by using First Glasgow and Lothian Buses reducing to Saturday levels as an example then you're not really comparing apples with apples as both are large City/Conurbation operations who can make significant savings by reducing from weekdays to Saturdays. Unfortunately First Midland Bluebird and other operators whose market is mainly concentrated on smaller towns and villages with less frequent timetables perhaps don't have that same luxury. Although your point on the Sunday service is a valid one as what they're saying is a bit vague.

It’s definitely not just First, operators across the UK are having staffing issues that will most likely get worse
Exactly

I wouldn't personally say it's something you should always ignore either though especially in an industry that relies on the public using it and also when certain things are mentioned repeatedly it's definitely not for no reason. The lack of communication regarding all cancellations is something I've certainly seen mentioned plenty of times. First Midland Bluebird as it's relevant to the thread.

I'd also say social media will be especially vital with the current situation as it is. If you don't want to lose passengers going forward especially in an area that's brutally tough as it is then communication via social media needs to be spot on
Social Media posters who complain to operators only make up a small minority of their passenger base. It's a bit like when you see a lot more people on social media complaining about the government than praising them but that same government are continually elected into office.

Last edited:

PaulMc7

Established Member
You have a point re the lack of clarity on early Sundays but by using First Glasgow and Lothian Buses reducing to Saturday levels as an example then you're not really comparing apples with apples as both are large City/Conurbation operations who can make significant savings by reducing from weekdays to Saturdays. Unfortunately First Midland Bluebird and other operators whose market is mainly concentrated on smaller towns and villages with less frequent timetables perhaps don't have that same luxury. Although your point on the Sunday service is a valid one as what they're saying is a bit vague.

Exactly

Social Media posters who complain to operators only make up a small minority of their passenger base. It's a bit like when you see a lot more people on social media complaining about the government than praising them but that same government are continually elected into office.
I think it's a society thing in general but especially with public transport but social media is underestimated in terms of importance now especially in areas that are smaller and more community orientated. All it takes is one person to find something on social media and loads find out so First could definitely benefit by having a much better social media setup. Communication will be vital in keeping customers anyway let alone in these times.

overthewater

Established Member
The information went up last night, and Unfortunley it is a "Sunday service" with a few extra runs before 9am.

From 10th January 2022, temporary service changes will be implemented until further notice.

These service changes are the result of increased sickness levels and absence due to the current wave of Omnicron cases. As a result, we have had to introduce a temporary reduced timetable across our network.

We are doing everything we can to minimise disruption to services and inconvenience to our customers and our teams are working extra hard to ensure as many buses run as is possible. We’ll be reviewing the situation on an ongoing basis and when absence levels improve, we’ll be working hard to reinstate more services as a matter of urgency.

In West Lothian, if this doesn't kill off the remaining passengers to Lothian, I doubt anything well, this is just shocking.

In the Forth valley area, any sense of good grace will be shattered to pieces, I have to wonder how they can come back from this. They can't just blame it all on Omnicron.

Bus Lightyear

The information went up last night, and Unfortunley it is a "Sunday service" with a few extra runs before 9am.

In West Lothian, if this doesn't kill off the remaining passengers to Lothian, I doubt anything well, this is just shocking.

In the Forth valley area, any sense of good grace will be shattered to pieces, I have to wonder how they can come back from this. They can't just blame it all on Omnicron.
They will be suffering from the consequences of Covid staff absence and the Nationwide driver shortage as per the majority of operators just now.

JurassicMan

Posted this yesterday afternoon and it was removed "as duplicate post"? how odd

stevenedin

The problem is that most of First’s routes are different to the Lothiancountry routes. I know that there is some duplication but they do provide different links.

mb88

It really is a sorry state of affairs. And whilst staff isolating is no doubt a major contributory factor, let’s not kid ourselves on that drivers leaving for better paid jobs, or even jobs with a similar wage but less stress, isn’t a factor. And the steady trickle of drivers moving over to Lothian Country where the pay is higher continues. I don’t imagine the City of Edinburgh council will be best pleased that their tendered 20 and 63 services are having their frequency reduced, and late evening service on the 20 cut entirely.

I imagine the number of passengers/customers is minimal at the moment anyway so there's still a chance that people will return to bus travel on First in future.
I'm not very optimistic though. As everyone agrees there aren't enough passengers for two large operators in this area at the best of times. By now you have expected one to have scaled back significantly in any case.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
imagine the number of passengers/customers is minimal at the moment anyway so there's still a chance that people will return to bus travel on First in future.
I'm not very optimistic though. As everyone agrees there aren't enough passengers for two large operators in this area at the best of times. By now you have expected one to have scaled back significantly in any case.

It's quite telling that one operator is being *significantly* more seriously impacted by the current situation than others. The reasons why, any ideas?

It's quite telling that one operator is being *significantly* more seriously impacted by the current situation than others. The reasons why, any ideas?
I think you'd need to justify why you think one operator is significantly more impacted than others. Are you suggesting that Lothian Country is worse affected than First Scotland East? In the case of Lothian Country, the route running near me has effectively been operating a Sunday frequency on Mondays to Saturdays for quite some time. The company gives the reason as a shortage of drivers.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
I think you'd need to justify why you think one operator is significantly more impacted than others. Are you suggesting that Lothian Country is worse affected than First Scotland East? In the case of Lothian Country, the route running near me has effectively been operating a Sunday frequency on Mondays to Saturdays for quite some time. The company gives the reason as a shortage of drivers.

Justification? See the last two pages of this thread compared with the complete timetables of other companies in West Lothian.

Status
Not open for further replies.