• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Scotland East (Midland Bluebird and West Lothian operations)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Observer

Not so long ago Scotland East was the dumping ground for other companies' end-of-life cast-offs, with very little investment in new stock (and not exactly helped by the Lockhead era policy of investing in new buses for a few select fleets only). The current situation is definitely an improvement.
Plus it didn't help the last time they had a big order for new vehicles, it was those StreetLites which were proven not to be the best for long distance routes!

So the transfer of these E400 MMCs should certainly be a welcome improvement if they are being spread among the depots.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

stevenedin

Thanks hopefully we can get some newer buses from elsewhere. I’m guessing that the 53 reg Geminis will go at Glasgow and the 03 reg B7TLs

smtglasgow

What do Larbert/Bannockburn/Balfron use all their Scania deckers for? I can see the 8 mmc’s going on the Stirling 38 or maybe a few turns on the X10, but what else needs a double decker? I know they handed back a lot of schools a few years ago, but presumably they still run some??

Volvodart

Established Member
Surely they are for the double deckers going into the Glasgow low emissions zone?

stevenedin

Thanks for the info. I looked at the fleet list for the whole of First and there are still some X reg double deckers running around in Wales so 54 reg is still very young compared to what’s running around. No doubt they will head south somewhere. Possibly the same for some of the Omnidekkas unless they decide to scrap them due to not being standard fleet.

Whiteway215

Established Member
32584 upwards will be leaving first as they have other destinations
Back in October (I believe it was on the First South West thread) it was quoted 32583-92 and 37184 were due to transfer to First South West.
However that was three months ago so plenty of time for plans to have changed!

Observer

What do Larbert/Bannockburn/Balfron use all their Scania deckers for? I can see the 8 mmc’s going on the Stirling 38 or maybe a few turns on the X10, but what else needs a double decker? I know they handed back a lot of schools a few years ago, but presumably they still run some??
There's still school contracts, they all weren't given up, still plenty going around for Falkirk and Fife. Also the white deckers for the 38 were hired in and still get used for other services too.

They could always pick contracts back up whenever they next get retendered....which have been delayed for years in some areas for obvious reasons.

cnjb8

Established Member
Thanks for the info. I looked at the fleet list for the whole of First and there are still some X reg double deckers running around in Wales so 54 reg is still very young compared to what’s running around. No doubt they will head south somewhere. Possibly the same for some of the Omnidekkas unless they decide to scrap them due to not being standard fleet.
I think Wales are the only company to still run buses from the X-plate age. There are still a large number of 51-plate to 53-plate buses running around the First ‘empire’ that could do with replacement, and Glasgow’s displaced B7TLs will definitely help with this.
First Wessex’s OmniDekkas were sold straight to Ensign a few years ago when replaced

Bristol LH

I think Wales are the only company to still run buses from the X-plate age. There are still a large number of 51-plate to 53-plate buses running around the First ‘empire’ that could do with replacement, and Glasgow’s displaced B7TLs will definitely help with this.
First Wessex’s OmniDekkas were sold straight to Ensign a few years ago when replaced
First Cymru's X-plate Volvo B7TLs are in the process of being withdrawn from service.

Volvodart

Established Member
FSE tend to use E300s on the Glasgow routes.

I am talking about the X10 (as the MMCs are going to Midland) and it appears to be operated mostly by double deckers according to bustimes.org, which is probably incomplete.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
I am talking about the X10 (as the MMCs are going to Midland) and it appears to be operated mostly by double deckers according to bustimes.org, which is probably incomplete.
Anything and everything drops on the X10. Solars, Omnidekkas, Enviro 300s, the recently added B7RLEs all surface on the X10

Last edited:

gnolife

Established Member
Hence why i mentioned Enviro 300s, the X10 and X36 branded ones aswell as unbranded ones all drop on the X10
To be fair to the person you quoted, your post, which you've gone back and edited, originally mentioned Enviro 400s, which, as far as I know, never turn up on the X10

smtglasgow

Never really thought about it, but are the double deckers that appear on the X10 used for the journeys that hit school time at Balfron, or is it all a bit more random?

Also, how many buses are based (outstationed?) at Balfron these days – do they have any work other than the X10?

alphabravo43

To be fair to the person you quoted, your post, which you've gone back and edited, originally mentioned Enviro 400s, which, as far as I know, never turn up on the X10
I beg to differ: https://flickr.com/photos/188670746@N04/49959980158/in/pool-abustobalfron/
Though it is more likely to be when the uni is not in session and the UL service isn't as frequent.
Never really thought about it, but are the double deckers that appear on the X10 used for the journeys that hit school time at Balfron, or is it all a bit more random?

Also, how many buses are based (outstationed?) at Balfron these days – do they have any work other than the X10?
There is still some school work for Balfron High School from the depot, not all the services were handed back, there is at least 12 schools services from Balfron High, as far as I'm aware from observations in the village Carrs of Loch Lomond only cover 3 routes per day.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Any news on when service levels might increase from a Sunday service?

Seems to be alot of drivers jumping ship at the moment from Livingston.

Got on an X10 tonight in Maryhill Road and paid for a single. The bus was a Scania single decker but the fleet number on the ticket machine was 33204.

Status
Not open for further replies.