• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Scotland East (Midland Bluebird and West Lothian operations)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
I can only assume First had these features specified from manufacturers for fuel economy with regards to the stop-start and the door interlock is for safety reasons. The Wright Streetlite also has interlock. I don't know if any other operators ordered vehicles with said specifications but Stagecoach's Enviros do seem to pull away a wee bit more quickly than First's.

I might be wrong I’m sure Stagecoach’s new E400MMCs are ‘Smart Hybrid’ which has tiny electric motor to give it a bit more oomph when it pulls away.

As for First’s I’m sure they’re just bog standard diesel.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Volvodart

Established Member
As for First’s I’m sure they’re just bog standard diesel.

I think that First got the extra features so that the buses would qualify for enhanced Bus Service Operators Grant, and they received funding from the Scottish Government towards these features. That was why they got 150 new buses one financial year before the grant was reduced after that date to only 5 years timeline.

CBlue

I’ve just seen it at Falkirk retail park also..

I still feel sorry for those driving it, there very irritating to drive combined with the stop-start and door interlock.
At first perhaps, but drivers quickly get used to it. Stagecoach E400MMCs here also have stop start and interlocks, the latter of which is nothing new - some operators were specifying that on Atlanteans at the time those were produced.

overthewater

Established Member
From Monday Falkirk Area operations are nearly back to normal expect for:

* Service No1 which will be every 30mins
* No3/4 which will be hourly each but off set with No2
* X38 still being every 30mins:

How close is any of the depots to fully restoring the routes?

PaulMc7

Established Member
There's definitely still major issues with driver shortages in Stirling, Falkirk and West Lothian going by the Twitter lately and I'd imagine they're not communicating every cancellation going by the responses. At what point do First ditch the areas to focus on Aberdeen and Greater Glasgow?

GALLANTON

There's definitely still major issues with driver shortages in Stirling, Falkirk and West Lothian going by the Twitter lately and I'd imagine they're not communicating every cancellation going by the responses. At what point do First ditch the areas to focus on Aberdeen and Greater Glasgow?

The can't find drivers for normal services that people need but they seem to be able to find them for a pointless open-top tour service... It just shows how much First actually cares.

PaulMc7

Established Member
The can't find drivers for normal services that people need but they seem to be able to find them for a pointless open-top tour service... It just shows how much First actually cares.
To be fair if it makes them money it's the right move given the whole aim of the business. That's also why I've said what I did regarding pulling out etc.

Its all a financial money game for them, only that.

Last edited:
Some days it’s not just driver shortage the problem can be with a shortage of fit buses .

PaulMc7

Established Member
Some days it’s not just driver shortage the problem can be with a shortage of fit buses .
I've definitely seen a lot of online mentions of that lately to be fair. I'm not a regular to anywhere First operate except Glasgow and Lanarkshire really but even maintenance is definitely an issue at times currently with a lot of buses hitting a bad age at once

GALLANTON

I've definitely seen a lot of online mentions of that lately to be fair. I'm not a regular to anywhere First operate except Glasgow and Lanarkshire really but even maintenance is definitely an issue at times currently with a lot of buses hitting a bad age at once

Age isn't the issue. It's First's bare minimum maintenance standards and nothing else.

stevenedin

Now that First Scotland East have been getting some buses from Glasgow, does anyone know which Scania Omnidekkas have been withdrawn? Also are they being scrapped or transferred elsewhere?

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Now that First Scotland East have been getting some buses from Glasgow, does anyone know which Scania Omnidekkas have been withdrawn? Also are they being scrapped or transferred elsewhere?
None withdrawn yet, id be surprised if any end up anywhere other than scrap

Jordan Adam

Established Member
None withdrawn yet, id be surprised if any end up anywhere other than scrap
Likewise, i'd hate to see the condition of some of them underneath now given many of them (notably 36018 & 36022) were having major corrosion issues as early as 2010. The sister batch 36001-6 were all withdrawn in early 2020 for the same reason i believe.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Likewise, i'd hate to see the condition of some of them underneath now given many of them (notably 36018 & 36022) were having major corrosion issues as early as 2010. The sister batch 36001-6 were all withdrawn in early 2020 for the same reason i believe.
They were though 36001/4 did end up with Connexions of Tockwith for further service. The Scottish ones may be well worked but don't know if they had the hammer of the Dorset ones!

GALLANTON

Seems pointless branding double deckers for the 38 when the other day I observed it being mostly operated by a mish-mash of single deckers.

Status
Not open for further replies.