• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Trenitalia (Avanti!) WCML branding, naming and livery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nick Ashwell

Surely it's going to be something that isn't exactly the groups brand, hence why Avanti doesn't seem likely to me?

With the way corporate branding has been removed from other TOCs as they came up for renewal, surely this will be the same?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Surely it's going to be something that isn't exactly the groups brand, hence why Avanti doesn't seem likely to me?

With the way corporate branding has been removed from other TOCs as they came up for renewal, surely this will be the same?

Avanti is not a corporate brand, it's a brand that seems to have developed for this franchise specifically.

Nick Ashwell

But it's not neutral like other TOCs are now. GWR for example is a trademark of the DfF is it not, meaning any future operator of the route could just keep the same name perpetually, meaning a stronger brand identity being built over time. Is a neutral, regional name not better for the DfT long term than changing names with operators and all the rebranding costs that go with it?

EE Andy b1

Established Member
Is a neutral, regional name not better for the DfT long term than changing names with operators and all the rebranding costs that go with it?

Yes it is and that should be they way forward and stop confusing the travelling public and wasting money.

pdeaves

Established Member
But it's not neutral like other TOCs are now. GWR for example is a trademark of the DfF is it not, meaning any future operator of the route could just keep the same name perpetually
It is not beyond the bounds of possibility that the DfT specified that the winning bidder will develop a brand that must be made available gratis to any successor. Thus, the winner 'does the DfT's work' (in a sense) in making the brand.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It is not beyond the bounds of possibility that the DfT specified that the winning bidder will develop a brand that must be made available gratis to any successor. Thus, the winner 'does the DfT's work' (in a sense) in making the brand.

I believe that is precisely what the "new generation" franchise agreements involve, yes. So Avanti could pass on with the TOC. It is a generic brand - it doesn't include the words "First" or "Trenitalia". It might sound a bit Italian, but so what?

PR1Berske

Established Member
This will bite me on the backside, I know, I just can't see "Avanti" being chosen.

EE Andy b1

Established Member
This will bite me on the backside, I know, I just can't see "Avanti" being chosen.

I just hope that "Avanti" is not the TOC's name going forward.

Avanti should be to West Coast as Azuma is to East Coast, and that's it!

sprinterguy

Established Member
But it's not neutral like other TOCs are now. GWR for example is a trademark of the DfF is it not, meaning any future operator of the route could just keep the same name perpetually, meaning a stronger brand identity being built over time. Is a neutral, regional name not better for the DfT long term than changing names with operators and all the rebranding costs that go with it?

I believe that is precisely what the "new generation" franchise agreements involve, yes. So Avanti could pass on with the TOC. It is a generic brand - it doesn't include the words "First" or "Trenitalia". It might sound a bit Italian, but so what?
There was no requirement in the Invitation to Tender for the West Coast Partnership brand to be transferable to a successor operator. Only a statement to the effect that it would be preferable.

As there's never been a UK First-Trenitalia partnership, could Avanti not be a group name for current or potential future operations? So the West Coast franchise could simply be branded "West Coast by Avanti" or somesuch?

RealTrains07

Established Member
More likely the new 800 trains or 769s will be named Avanti like the paragon name for Hull Trains

EE Andy b1

Established Member
Apparently the new Brand name for First Trenitalia is .....

Going to be announced officially on Monday 25th November 2019.

Status
Not open for further replies.