• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First win Intercity West Coast franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flamingo

Established Member
I can't help wondering if Virgin, in a final fit of pique, are going to release a glut of Advance tickets in the last few weeks of the franchise, of the £5 First class to anywhere variety?

Dress it up as a "Final thank you" or some sort.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WatcherZero

Established Member
Few tidbits in the Aether.
* First and Virgin have been having weekly meetings for the handover arrangements which have been cordial.
* First havent made any financial or staffing commitments yet, their waiting for the outcome of the judicial review meaning they may not be ready to takeover on time with 90 days to go in whats supposed to be a 120 day handover schedule.
* DOR has only been put on cold standby, its not been put on hot standby but even if it was today it wouldnt be able to takeover at the franchise end date as it would be far more time consuming and complicated to gear up than the East Coast takeover due to the ending of staff contracts, financial deals, etc... They havent done the preperatory work that First and Virgin have.
* The RMT is threatening a strike over the uncertainty of who will be running the line come December.

* First and Virgin have been having weekly meetings for the handover arrangements which have been cordial.
* First havent made any financial or staffing commitments yet, their waiting for the outcome of the judicial review meaning they may not be ready to takeover on time with 90 days to go in whats supposed to be a 120 day handover schedule.
* DOR has only been put on cold standby, its not been put on hot standby but even if it was today it wouldnt be able to takeover at the franchise end date as it would be far more time consuming and complicated to gear up than the East Coast takeover due to the ending of staff contracts, financial deals, etc... They havent done the preperatory work that First and Virgin have.
* The RMT is threatening a strike over the uncertainty of who will be running the line come December.

So does this mean then that if its not sorted out ASAP then come Dec 9th no one could be running it?

I see many problems coming up.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Expect the Government to blame any delay on 'the Unions and their freinds in the Labour party'.

:)

HH

Established Member
This is not such a problem as people may think:
* Franchise handovers have been done in less than 90 days before
* ICWC is a relatively simple franchise: no depots, 17 stations, etc.
* First would have made very few commitments at this point anyway
* I've heard, and would have expected, that First are going ahead with their plans, with costs being underwritten by DfT.

What is more worrying is that DfT seems to be dragging its heels on the JR: "If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well it were done quickly" (Macbeth).

eastdyke

Established Member
This is not such a problem as people may think:
* Franchise handovers have been done in less than 90 days before
* ICWC is a relatively simple franchise: no depots, 17 stations, etc.
* First would have made very few commitments at this point anyway
* I've heard, and would have expected, that First are going ahead with their plans, with costs being underwritten by DfT.

What is more worrying is that DfT seems to be dragging its heels on the JR: "If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well it were done quickly" (Macbeth).

Surely the JR is in the hands of a High Court Judge? Nowt DfT can do until the Judge decides whether or not a JR is justified.

The items raised are possible mischief to set the scene ahead of the debate in Parliament this PM.

And I wonder where they came from?

HH

Established Member
Allegedly the Government could ask the courts to speed up the JR process, and this would be looked on favourably; they have not done so. *shrugs*

jon0844

Veteran Member
Bob Crow wants to royally screw things up doesn't he! Of course there's confusion, and he's done a very good job of creating the confusion and panic - making all the staff fear for their jobs!

Still, given that the explanation given before about why Bob likes SRB so much (as in, what the union wants, the union gets) I can see the RMT perhaps having an incentive to carry on this charade long after even Virgin gives up and accepts defeat.

Wath Yard

The report in The Daily Telegraph said the decision as to whether a full judicial review would take place is taking longer than expected (initial estimate within 2 weeks, amended to approx 3 weeks) due to the sheer amount of paperwork involved. I can just imagine the outcry and conspiracy theories if the DfT was seen to put pressure on the court to make a quick decision.

aylesbury

I wonder if Mr Crow realy does reflect the views of the RMT or his own worped ideas ,seemingly from Stalin although living the high life surely a contradiction.Any action against whoever runs the wcml will be completely vindictive in the extreme and not to do with jobs.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Scheduled on a Monday (when most MP's are making their way back to London from their constituencies) in a backbench committee room at the exact same time Gove is announcing his proposed reforms of education? I think even the woman moving the debate is slyly noting the first ever debate in that room on a monday :)

Trying to bury a news item much?

HH

Established Member
Listening to the debate right now. What a load of rubbish.

EDIT. I take that back. Did DfT really tell VT that a 5% EBIT was not sustainable?

Wath Yard

She believes a lot of things, and coincidentally these things she believes are identical to those Virgin also believe.

Stats

Scheduled on a Monday (when most MP's are making their way back to London from their constituencies) in a backbench committee room at the exact same time Gove is announcing his proposed reforms of education? I think even the woman moving the debate is slyly noting the first ever debate in that room on a monday :)

Trying to bury a news item much?
1. It is not a backbench committee room, it is a secondary debating chamber.
2. It is the first debate held on a Monday at this time because it is a new Parliamentary procedure passed in July to allow the backbench committee have more time to debate matters of their choosing.
3. If it was not debated now, it would not be debated until well into October at the earliest. Given your pro-Virgin stance I'm sure you would prefer it now then later.
4. The Government have no say in the matters of backbench business, so there is no question of trying to bury news.

Wath Yard

The problem is though, that the things Virgin believe are not based on facts, as they explicitly stated in the TSC hearing. They know nothing of the FirstGroup bid and are just making statements based on their 'common sense'. If she had even briefly mentioned that there were 4 bidders in her 30 minutes of waffle I might take her seriously.

I was hoping for a bit more intelligence and independence from MPs after the TSC hearings, but sadly it’s just the same old dross.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I really don't get how Labour can be asking to allow Virgin to carry on simply to save the taxpayer money, compared to having DOR step in.

And what's more, First will give the taxpayer more money than Virgin! So, on that basis, stop the nonsense and let First take over as planned.

tbtc

Veteran Member
I really don't get how Labour can be asking to allow Virgin to carry on simply to save the taxpayer money, compared to having DOR step in.

And what's more, First will give the taxpayer more money than Virgin! So, on that basis, stop the nonsense and let First take over as planned.

Ah, but Labour's pals in the Unions are backing Branson... follow the money?

jon0844

Veteran Member
At least someone is now explaining what we already know, and appears to consist of actual truth, even though some people seem to be acting very ignorant over.

I am surprised anyone there feels that the bids should be made totally public, but I guess that it means that when the Government explains that it can't be done due to commerical sensitivity, it just allows Labour to claim that it's a cover up!

Hazlehead

The problem is though, that the things Virgin believe are not based on facts, as they explicitly stated in the TSC hearing. They know nothing of the FirstGroup bid and are just making statements based on their 'common sense'. If she had even briefly mentioned that there were 4 bidders in her 30 minutes of waffle I might take her seriously.

I was hoping for a bit more intelligence and independence from MPs after the TSC hearings, but sadly it’s just the same old dross.

Yes, on Parliamentary Channel.

Hmm I watched from 1630 and all that was on was gcse debate now its infrastructure debate

Status
Not open for further replies.