• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Not that I don't believe you I just wanted more information on what happened so I could see it for myself. I worded my previous message incorrectly.

talksport made a big thing of it but sky didnt.

man city score. milner but wenger and arsenal furious with things. arsenal could be down to 9.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The reason why Howard Webb allowed play to continue during this incident was Reina was not interferring with play while Liverpool was attacking, and it wasn't a head injury, as soon as Manchester United had possession then Reina is interfeering with play and the match must stop. Its a crazy rule but if thats how the premier league/fa want it then all we can do is continue to complain about it. If it had happened the other way and was De Gea down injured and Manchester United sprung a counter attack I could see the exact same thing happen. IMO Howard Webb got that decision right.

Another thing, Vidic/Evra's goal was technically offside as it hit Vidic in the face and he was (just) in front of the ball when the ball was played, but at full speed its virtually impossible to give it as offside

on your last point I noticed that as well but like you say. impossible to give that.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

man city score. milner but wenger and arsenal furious with things. arsenal could be down to 9.

Manchester City 2-0 up at half time, with Arsenal down to 10 men. Interesting to note that despite the match being played at The Emirates, the bookmakers were offering shorter odds on Manchester City, rather than Arsenal, to win this match.
This weekend however, the tables are turned on Luton, as they play host to Skelmersdale United of the Northern 1DN in the FA Trophy - whose own interval to Luton matches that stated above between Luton and Wolves. Skem are unbeaten in the League; they have won 15 of 17 for a total of 47 points from 51 - however, their cup form has left them with six games in hand on Mossley and as a result they are behind by four points!

Supposing Skem won this game, what would it say about Wolves...?

No such "wonder of the cup" unfortunately, as Luton won 2-0 in that game.

Skelmersdale United can now concentrate their remaining energies on obtaining the points from their games in hand of both Mossley FC and Trafford FC (now with its very own Yorkshire supporters club on this thread), as they have slipped down to third place in their league.

richw

Veteran Member
Good to see Mike Dean being consistently bad, would rather a consistent and bad referee, than a biased one. He is however earning himself a weekend off next week I think

familyguy99

Oldham lost again at Home yesterday to Brentford 2-0 and sadly Latics were playing poor too, but good news that came out of Latics yesterday was that Jose Baxter have sign two & half year contract will us :D Very good signs for us are hopely Baxter will keep scoring for us and help us avoid relegated to LG2.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20999419

Also Oldham have sold just over 4,500 tickets for FA Cup Fourth ties against Liverpool which is good news to say we can only get 3,500 in normal league match but that happens when u play against big team at home.

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/article/20130113-ticketsales-595670.aspx

Manchester City have won 2-0 against Arsenal but both team had players sent off, Kompany get sent off in second half for City and Koscielny get sent off in first half which City miss penalty in results of that senting off.

Oswyntail

Established Member
I am amused to read certain postings that reveal the medical condition that is sometimes referred to as "selective vision".

A British naval hero called Lord Nelson had a similar complaint that caused him to raise his telescope to his blind eye in a naval battle in 1801 (The Battle of Copenhagen) and to declare..."I see no ships"...:roll:
Perhaps football matches should all be played without television or radio coverage, and with only neutral fans in attendance. Actually, on the latter suggestion, it would be interesting to see if the audience applauded skill from both sides equally, or shouted impartially abuse at both sides. This might go some way to deciding whether football is indeed entertaining, or is the cesspit-dwelling progenitor of hatred and violence it appears to the outside world to be.

Donny Dave

Established Member
Mancini made the worst decision of his life when he didn't buy Van Persie because he would have won them the title this season.

Man U. look very very ordinary without him and would probably be a poor second now if they hadn't got him.

As it is Man U. have won yet another title even if Man City were to win today.

Mancini did try to sign Van Persie, but he turned them down in favour of Manchester United.

Ivo

Established Member
Mancini did try to sign Van Persie, but he turned them down in favour of Manchester United.

Good on him to have done so as well. He wouldn't have had much if any chance to improve himself if he spent his days surrounded by 20+ egos bigger than what was the Millennium Dome (now the O2 Arena). At least United only have a select few egos of this size!

He also has more of a chance to excel - especially on the continental stage.

Johnuk123

Established Member
Good on him to have done so as well. He wouldn't have had much if any chance to improve himself if he spent his days surrounded by 20+ egos bigger than what was the Millennium Dome (now the O2 Arena). At least United only have a select few egos of this size!

He also has more of a chance to excel - especially on the continental stage.

I think Man U. has just as many egos as City and the manager has the biggest ego in British football.

Donny Dave

Established Member
I think Man U. has just as many egos as City and the manager has the biggest ego in British football.

I disagree about the number of ego's at Manchester United (baarring the manager), and to a certain extent, Manchester City.

At United, quite a few of the players there have come through the youth system, a system in which Fergie is very ruthless. If a player does have a bad attitude, he is quickly transferred to another team, regardless of the fact that he may be the next best thing. The same goes for the first team squad. Carlos Tevez started causing a lot of trouble, so was allowed to leave, even though he wanted to join Manchester City. Just look at the trouble he caused when he went on strike .....

Manchester City is a different case, as since the oil shiekhs took control of the club, the managers have basically had a blank cheque book to use to sign the best players available. Apart from Balotelli, who's undoubted skill is only matched by his ego, eccentricity and generally bad attitude to everything (and the afore mentioned Tevez), the players tend to have their feet firmly planted on the ground.

Yes, players at both clubs do have a certain swagger and arrogance about them, as they are playing for the 2 biggest clubs in the country (IMO). What they have in common is the will to play each and every minute of every match, and the desire to do the best they can.

If that is classed as "having an ego", then every club in the country has players of this type ....

SS4

Established Member
Speaking of arrogance perhaps it lies with "United" and "City" being used for Manchester United and Manchester City respectively. You don't get it with Town or Wanderers after all

Donny Dave

Established Member
Ties in with my argument about the 2 Manchester clubs being the 2 biggest clubs in the country. You say United or City in regards to a football discussion, and 99% of people will know who you mean ....

richw

Veteran Member
Ties in with my argument about the 2 Manchester clubs being the 2 biggest clubs in the country. You say United or City in regards to a football discussion, and 99% of people will know who you mean ....

Unless in areas where to local teams use these names, such as Devon when you will be assumed to be referring to Exeter City, and Torquay United

youngiecj

Bit of a late one! Boston 1 Colwyn Bay 0 first clean sheet since October attendances still dire! oh and Gainsborough have put in an approach for our striker who netted the winner hopefully he will see sense !!!

Phil6219

One of the assistant referees told the Man City players to make sure they go and see their fans who'd paid £62 after the match!

I thought I heard him say that when I was watching earlier.

I think it's scandalous the price charged, but it's not the away team who sets the price (so I'm told). Also was rather interesting to read that Manchester City's cheapest season ticket is actually lower than some conference sides (although there are several other factors, mainly that percentage wise most tickets would actually be more expensive than the conference sides).

Unless in areas where to local teams use these names, such as Devon when you will be assumed to be referring to Exeter City, and Torquay United

When I lived in Bristol several years back I had a close call at my new local, when asked what team I support I replied "City" and the place went quiet. I quickly amended my answer to "Manchester City" as it became rather apparent that the pub was more of a Bristol Rovers place :)

It's been bugging me for the past week how the media point out that "City haven't scored at Arsenal since 200&summat and that they haven't won there in 37 years" when we have and we did, we knocked them out of a (can't remember which) cup two seasons ago. Seems they were talking about the league, it would be nice if they would actually mention that though.

Good result for us today, nice to see Mike Dean being a bit of a bellend today. An excellent call on the penalty/red card, according to one pundit they have been told to crack down on wrestling in the box - now let's hope for consistency. Vermarlen should have been given a second yellow for dissent in the second half, he got away with a couple of fouls but the dissent came after Dean awarded Arsenal a free kick - to the point the ref was shouting back at him.

Don't even get me started on the Kompany sending off, he got the ball and it was a fair challenge - Wiltshire has made a meal of it but I don't get it, the pundits and commentators start back peddling around 10 minutes afterwards and say "from another angle his other foot is off the floor so it's two footed", it was for a split second - he was not diving in. The thing is Mancini is going to appeal but we know the FA will stick by it and give another game ban.

Learned something new though from Niall Quinn, after that red card he said that in his managerial days he had a red card go against his team and that the referee called and apologied for it the following day so they appealed, it got rejected and they got another game ban on top!

Phil 8-)

richw

Veteran Member
Phil, the cheap season ticket had an availability of 100 I believe out of about 42000 seats which needs to be taken in perspective

Phil6219

Exactly Rich, I kinda mention that there are percentages which need to be taken into account. Just yet another quality example of the media twisting facts or misrepresenting the truth.

I had to give up my season ticket back in 2008 when I moved to London, it was fairly priced though but then again back up until then we were a team which was pushing for mid table obscurity.

Phil 8-)

Donny Dave

Established Member
Bit of a late one! Boston 1 Colwyn Bay 0 first clean sheet since October attendances still dire! oh and Gainsborough have put in an approach for our striker who netted the winner hopefully he will see sense !!!

See sense and join Gainsborough? :lol:

Anyway, regarding the Reina injury earlier, having just seen the highlights on MOTD2, it appears that Kagawa was going for the ball at pace anyway. The contact with the Liverpool player looked to be accidental, so not a penalty, and a completely accidental collision (IMO).

Arsenal V Man City ....

Koscielny IMO was very harsh IMO (despite what Alen Hansen is saying). Yes, he hauled Dzeko down in the box, but he did not deny a goal scoring opportunity, as Tevez followed up and had a head at goal. Yellow card and a penalty should have been given.

The Kompany sending off is also debatable. in real time (plus the real time replays) it did look nasty and as though he did go in with both feet off the ground and pointing towards Wilshere. However, in the slow mo replay, you can see while both feet are off the ground, the trailing leg is folding back befer he reaches Wilshere. While It still a foul, it's only worthy of a yellow card IMO.

Unfortunately, I don't think the red card will be rescinded, as plenty of other players have been sent off in very similar situations. Some members will possibly remember my views about Oliver Norwood and his sending off at Notts County last season for a very similar tacklewhile he was on loan at Scunthorpe.

It is easy to be critical of referees (and their assistants) because of their decisions which they make in each match (I'm no exception), as they have to make some very big decisions in a split second after an incident/tackle without the benefit of replays and 20/20 hindsight, but ....

Overall, I think the standard of refereeing this season has improved compared to last season (from what I have seen in limited replays). Yes, they do got things wrong (the penalty for Southampton yesterday as a prime example), but from what I have seen since the beginning of the season, they have got most things right.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ivo

Established Member
Overall, I think the standard of refereeing this season has improved compared to last season (from what I have seen in limited replays). Yes, they do got things wrong (the penalty for Southampton yesterday as a prime example), but from what I have seen since the beginning of the season, they have got most things right.

I'm glad someone thinks this is the case. After what happened with... I forget who the ref was... when we played Newcastle early on in the season, there is no way I could agree with this view. Absolutely dire and everyone - Toon fans included - knows it.

Donny Dave

Established Member
1 match does not make a season ....

As I've said many times before (and no doubt I will do again n the future), when it comes to football, I'm only an armchair pundit.

I stand by my comments about referees, as by and large this season, negative comments about their decisions (not just here) have dropped. Watching MOTD and the Football League Show most weeks (either recorded or when ithey are shown), I have seen that referees have got most decisions right.

At the end of the day, referees have to rely on the good old mark 1 eyeball to make a decision, and sometimes the gut reaction is "that's got to be a red card". That was my initial reaction when I saw the Kompany challenge today, it made me wince watching it in real time, but the replays showed that he had probably got it wrong.

Being a former non league player, I do have a bit of sympathy with refs, as they get stick from all quarters regarless if they get things right or wrong ....

Ivo

Established Member
I do have a bit of sympathy with refs, as they get stick from all quarters regarless if they get things right or wrong ....

Correction: Almost all quarters ;) I am sure that the referee for the Villa game was cheered by at least some Southampton fans...!

I do agree with you regarding the above point, and I am sure that everyone else would say the same. We all get decisions that seem to favour the club(s) we follow, and the opposite is also true. It's how we react to these that determine how easy a referee's job is.

Chapeltom

Established Member
Hull City away tomorrow, 2nd v 22nd, I think were going to get annihilated.

Well I was wrong! Superb 3-1 win at Hull and should have been more! We are class when the tactics are done right, we proved we can play well. Now let's march on and attempt to get into mid-table! 13 pts from 18 :)

Well I was wrong! Superb 3-1 win at Hull and should have been more! We are class when the tactics are done right, we proved we can play well. Now let's march on and attempt to get into mid-table! 13 pts from 18 :)

I managed to catch a bit of that game. Looked like Wednesday dominated it, we played Hull around Christmas and they destroyed us.
Is there anyone here that has attempted to 'do the 92'

I've done around 75 I think although I can't include Luton Town or Stockport in that anymore.

Notable grounds that i've never visited include

Notts County
Accrington Stanley
Crewe
Crawley
AFC Wimbledon
Fleetwood

Also, I haven't been to Chesterfields new ground but I have been to both Roker Park/Stadium of light - Highfield Road/Ricoh Arena - Highbury/Emerates - Ayresome Park/Riverside - Elm Park/Majeski - Springfield Park/DW Stadium - Burnden Park/Reebok - Withdean/AMEX.

I've also seen both Wimbledon and Crystal Palace play at Selhurst Park. QPR and Fulham play at Loftus Road.

Best ground i've been to apart from Elland Road would be Arsenal or MK Dons for comfort. Nottingham Forest or Brentford for atmosphere in the away end.

Worst grounds include Luton Town, The Withdean at Brighton, Portman Road, Ipswich or any of those horrible souless bowl stadiums such as Hull, Leicester, Coventry. Horrible.

Anyone else got any views?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I've done (from memory):
Ewood Park
Crown Ground (Accy Stanley)
Turf Moor
Deepdale
Reebok Stadium
Old Trafford (without seeing Man Utd playing, was an FA Cup SF)
City of Manchester Stadium
DW Stadium
Anfield
Goodison Park
Kit Kat Crescent (York City)
Villa Park
The Hawthorns
St Andrews
Kenilworth Rd
Emirates Stadium
Upton Park (Boleyn Ground?)
Selhurst Park
Craven Cottage
Stamford Bridge
Madejski Stadium
Dean Court (Bournemouth)
Woking FC's ground, home of my favourite witnessed football memory
Fratton Park

... I think that's it.
Oh, and the Riverside, Stadium of Light and St James up in the North East.
... And the old Ninian Park, Millenium Stadium and Bramhall Lane.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Matt, I am surprised that you have never visited Boundary Park aka Ice Station Zebra..:D

I had a rather memorable experience at Boundary Park a few years back. I forgot my wallet at home, and didn't realise until I got to Manchester. I only had a fiver on me (admission was £16 at the time I think?) so thought I might as well get there and try my luck. Was let in for free into the home stand after the guy at the club reception took pity on me as I was 15 minutes late and soaked.

We won 2-1 though. :D

In other news, Sean O'Driscoll has been snapped up by Brizzle City.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21010274

Bristol City have named Sean O'Driscoll as their new head coach on a 12-month rolling contract.

The former Nottingham Forest boss, 55, is believed to have turned down the vacant job at Blackpool in favour of joining the Championship's bottom club.

City parted company with Derek McInnes on Saturday following their 4-0 defeat by Leicester, which left them six points from safety.

The Scotsman, 41, beat O'Driscoll to the role at Ashton Gate 15 months ago.

Top bloke. Best of luck to him.

andrew bell

Out of the current 92 I have done:
Villa Park (Aston Villa)
Selhurst Park (Crystal Palace & Wimbledon)
Adams Park (Wycombe Wanderers)
Stamford Bridge (Chelsea)
Brittania Stadium (Stoke City)
Carrow Road (Norwich City)
Craven Cottage (Fulham)
St Marys (Southampton)
DW Stadium (Wigan Athletic)
Madjeski Stadium (Reading)
Loftus Road (QPR)
Vicarage Road (Watford)
The Den (Millwall)
Elland Road (Leeds United)
The Valley (Charlton Athletic)
Bloomfield Road (Blackpool)
Galpharm Stadium (Huddersfield Town)
Portman Road (Ipswich Town)
London Road (Peterborough)
Oakwell (Barnsley)
Ashton Gate (Bristol City)
Prenton Park (Tranmere Rovers)
Griffin Park (Brentford)
Bramell Lane (Sheffield United)
County Ground (Swindon)
Stadium MK & NHS (Mk Mongs)
Dean Court (AFC Bournemouth)
Huish Park (Yeovil Town)
Gresty Road (Crewe Alexandra)
Broadhall Way (Stevenage)
Bescot Stadium (Walsall)
Meadow Lane (Notts County)
Brisbane Road (Leyton Orient)
Deepdale (Preston North End)
Brunton Park (Carlisle United)
Greenhous Meadow (Shrewsbury Town)
Boundary Park (Oldham Athletic)
Glanford Park (Scunthorpe United)
Weston Homes Community Stadium (Colchester United)
Gigg Lane (Bury)
Victoria Ground (Hartlepool United)
Vale Park (Port Vale)
Priestfield (Gillingham)
St James Park (Exeter City)
Whaddon Road (Cheltenham Town)
Pirelli Stadium (Burton Albion)
Roots Hall (Southend United)
Valley Parade (Bradford City)
Sixfields (Northampton Town)
Kassam Stadium (Oxford United)
The London Borough of Barking & Dagenham Stadium (Dagenham & Redbridge)
Spotland (Rochdale)
Plainmoor (Torquay United)
The Crown Ground (Accrington Stanley)
Underhill (Barnet)
EBB Stadium (Aldershot Town)
Home Park (Plymouth Argyle)
The Fans Stadium (AFC Wimbledon)
Memorial Ground (Bristol Rovers)

Best ground on the list, Craven Cottage
Worst Ground on the list, Stadium MK

Ivo

Established Member
Worst grounds include Luton Town, The Withdean at Brighton, Portman Road, Ipswich or any of those horrible souless bowl stadiums such as Hull, Leicester, Coventry. Horrible.

Anyone else got any views?

This link ought to interest you: Observer Poll on worst grounds (with evident bias in Brighton's favour)

My 92 to date, not including stadia I've visited e.g. Old Trafford without actually watching a game...

• Roots Hall
• Roots Hall
• Roots Hall
• Roots Hall
• Roots Hall

and...

• Roots Hall

...although I have watched three games (two competitive) at the new Wembley.

Trainfan344

Established Member
I have done

Carrow Road
Old Trafford
Deepdale
Portman Road
New Wembley

Although if you count where I went to see games it becomes:

Carrow Road
Portman Road
New Wembley