• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

roversfan2001

Established Member
[QUOTE="roversfan2001, post: 3184933, member: 33439]
Hoping Chorley knock out Fleetwood in front of a sell-out crowd on Monday night and we get them next round now.

Chorley 1....Fleetwood 2[/QUOTE]
Gutted. Chorley played so well and pushed Fleetwood all the way but it wasn't to be unfortunately.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EM2

Established Member
Slough Town are rewarded by a visit from League 1 Rochdale in the second round of the FA Cup, whereas Maidstone will travel to Milton Keynes to face the Dons.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Darlo lose two key players in one afternoon with forward Mark Beck joining Harrogate and goal keeper Adam Bartlett joining York City. I hope we got decent fees.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Darlo lose two key players in one afternoon with forward Mark Beck joining Harrogate and goal keeper Adam Bartlett joining York City. I hope we got decent fees.

Please forgive my ignorance as I know very little about non league football. Why has a transfer window not been introduced into non league football?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

Hyde had a respectable mid-table first season when they eventually reached the heights of the Conference Premiership (best result being a 7-0 home win over Woking), but at the end of that season, their best seven players were all signed by Football League clubs. The second season in the Conference Premiership with a much poorer quality side were an utter embarrassment, setting the current record for the least number of points gained by a team in that league. The club then suffered three consecutive relegations, in which they passed Darlington who were going up whilst they continued downwards.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Evo-Stik First Division North

Colne 2...Hyde United 2

Back to normal on Tuesday night after the FA Cup 1st round match against a League One club, with no seeming confidence loss by the Hyde side and it was the expected hard away match at Colne. All four goals came in the first third on the match. Still, Hyde still are unbeaten in the league this season and move up one place to fifth in the league, with matches in hand over the teams above them

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Please forgive my ignorance as I know very little about non league football. Why has a transfer window not been introduced into non league football?
I'm not sure how workable it would be with many clubs/players being part-time. It's relatively commonplace for players to request a transfer due to relocating for their day job. Though I don't believe this is the case with the current Darlington to York exodus- it'll be costing the players in question a pretty penny if they go by train though!

roversfan2001

Established Member
Drew 1-1 to Rochdale last night, losing 5-3 on penalties. Unless Stoke City U23s beat Bury on penalties tonight we're out of the Checkatrade Trophy.

Darandio

Established Member

A few reasons really, some already mentioned above, certainly those moving location/jobs. Another one is quick finance for clubs in dire trouble, the £10,000 for their top scorer can keep them going another few weeks.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Hyde had a respectable mid-table first season when they eventually reached the heights of the Conference Premiership (best result being a 7-0 home win over Woking), but at the end of that season, their best seven players were all signed by Football League clubs. The second season in the Conference Premiership with a much poorer quality side were an utter embarrassment, setting the current record for the least number of points gained by a team in that league. The club then suffered three consecutive relegations, in which they passed Darlington who were going up whilst they continued downwards.

We aren't quite that bad, yet!

The other problem with non league is that players can follow managers much more easily. We also cant offer full time terms to players and I certainly cant blame them for accepting such an offer. We haven't got the cash to compete with most of the teams in the top half and the core of our team has been together since the northern league. In many cases they have exceeded their limit quite spectacularly. We need to consolidate and change the team. We have a new manager who will want to bring in his own ideas and people.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Northern Ireland 0 V Switzerland 1

Scandalous and I mean an absolutely scandalous decision by the referee to award Switzerland a penalty won the game for the the visitors. Disgraceful. Ball struck at Evans from point blank range with his back turned which hit a shoulder and a hand ball given. I am not sure it was even in the box! Switzerland were by miles the better side but failed to score until the ref gave them an assist. An total disgrace.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
AND the referee was badly position for the penalty AND Switzerland should have had a player sent off in the first half! Clown.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Couldn’t agree more Darlo. There’s no way he could have been sure and if you’re not sure in a situation like that you just don’t give it. Shameful.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Northern Ireland got absolutely robbed by that decision. Didn’t hit his arm, back was turned, point blank range. Absolutely mad to give a penalty for that.

Antman

Established Member
Ironically there will be a video assistant referee (I think that's what they're called?) at Wembley tonight, 24 hours too late for the Irish.

Absolutely shocking decision.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
May i flag up what looks like an interesting documentary this Sunday between 2230 and 2330 on BBC1? it is entitled:

Alan Shearer: Making my documentary Dementia, Football and Me http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41902953

I think illness is very much hidden in football and that the authorities have no done enough to investigate a causal link between heading a football and dementia or support people suffering.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
The dementia issue has been raised by the Americans who would love to see football reduced to little more a women's & kids' game to protect the interests of the NFL.

The cases of Nobby Stiles, Martin Peters and Jeff Astle are obviously very sad but, having said that, the lighter footballs used in the modern game will go a long way to reducing any negative effects of heading. And it is patently obvious that football is less medically dangerous than American football, rugby union and rugby league.

Antman

Established Member
The dementia issue has been raised by the Americans who would love to see football reduced to little more a women's & kids' game to protect the interests of the NFL.

The cases of Nobby Stiles, Martin Peters and Jeff Astle are obviously very sad but, having said that, the lighter footballs used in the modern game will go a long way to reducing any negative effects of heading. And it is patently obvious that football is less medically dangerous than American football, rugby union and rugby league.

I can't help wondering if there is any link between heading footballs and dementia? Unfortunately I have a couple of family members with the condition who to the best of my knowledge haven't headed footballs on a regular basis and presumably most other sufferers haven't? It could well be the dementia former players are suffering with would have happened anyway?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Evo Stik First Division North

Hyde United 1....Ossett Albion 0

Hyde finally broke through the Ossett defence in added-on time just before half time and all their pressure brought no further goals in the match and they move up to third place. Hyde are still the only undefeated league side in the division and now have the best goal difference of +21.

Drogba11CFC

Winchester City 2...Bishops Cleeve 1 (Bailey 12, 90+5, Tomasso s/o 22; Bates 58, Ward s/o 24)

Winchester City got a long-overdue win in dramatic circumstances against the bottom side in the league. The hosts took a 12th-minute lead after a few early chances when Oli Bailey slotted the ball home. However ten minutes later, Adam Tomasso was sent off for kicking out at the Bishops Cleeve #11 in retaliation for a very nasty foul which saw the visitors reduced to ten men as well. City should have been out of sight by half time but had to rely on two goal-line clearances to go into half time ahead. The hosts spurned a bunch of chances before the visitors equalised with just over half an hour to go. City had the better of the closing period (albeit with a few chances for the visitors) before a stoppage time corner was fumbled by the visiting keeper and Oli Bailey pounced on the chance to seal the win with virtually the last kick of the game.

Other Results:

AFC Totton 4...Mangotsfield United 0

Barnstaple Town vs North Leigh POSTPONED (Waterlogged Pitch)

Bideford 2...Cinderford Town 2

Bristol Manor Farm 3...Didcot Town 3

Cirencester Town 1...Wimborne Town 2

Salisbury 1...Larkhall Athletic 2

Slimbridge 3...Evesham United 5

Yate Town 2...Swindon Supermarine 0

FA Trophy:

Paulton Rovers 1...Shortwood United 2

Taunton Town 1...Beaconsfield Town 1

League Table:
1. Taunton Town 13/32
=====================
2. Salisbury 14/27
--------------------------------------
3. Bristol Manor Farm 14/26
4. Swindon Supermarine 13/26
5. Evesham United 15/25
6. AFC Totton 14/23
7. Winchester City 14/23
16. Yate Town 13/14
17. Paulton Rovers 11/14
18. Cirencester Town 14/14
19. Barnstaple Town 13/11
20. Shortwood United 12/11
21. Mangotsfield United 14/10
22. Bishops Cleeve 14/5

Top Scorers:
1. Dean Stamp (BMF) 13
2. Oli Bailey (WCC) 12
3. Tobias Holmes (WIM) 11
4. Matthew Wright (TAU), Marley Thomas (SLI), Jordan Charran (BAR) 9
5. Ben Whitehead (CIR) 8

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Kidderminster 3 v Darlington 3 - Darlo were 3-1 down and played of the park for 75 minutes let came out of this game with a point. No idea how! a complete bonus. Point.bag.bus.home.

I can't help wondering if there is any link between heading footballs and dementia? Unfortunately I have a couple of family members with the condition who to the best of my knowledge haven't headed footballs on a regular basis and presumably most other sufferers haven't? It could well be the dementia former players are suffering with would have happened anyway?

Exactly why some proper research is required. Clearly, heading a football is not the only causal factor in the development of dementia. Lets see if it is even a factor at all.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Exactly why some proper research is required. Clearly, heading a football is not the only causal factor in the development of dementia. Lets see if it is even a factor at all.

I still remember what it was like heading a soggy leather football in the 1950s when playing in school matches. It was like being struck with a piece of lead. It was said that when Albert Scanlon, a winger for Manchester United, in those far-off days, used to take corners at pace on wet match days, both defenders and attackers took care to avoid those missiles.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I still remember what it was like heading a soggy leather football in the 1950s when playing in school matches. It was like being struck with a piece of lead. It was said that when Albert Scanlon, a winger for Manchester United, in those far-off days, used to take corners at pace on wet match days, both defenders and attackers took care to avoid those missiles.

Albert Scanlon - that will be a name for the younger members to google. He escaped the Munich air disaster with "just" a fractured skull, a broken leg and kidney damage. He recovered and played again for Manchester United.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Scottish Challenge Cup

Quite a good weekend for the "invitees" as both Crusaders and The New Saints have progressed to the semi-final stage.

The New Saints 0 Queen of the South 0 (AET, TNS win 4-3 on pens)

The Scottish Challenge Cup has evolved into quite a weird competition. The decision to let SPL teams field their U20 XI's seriously undermines the integrity of the competition but fortunately none of these got beyond the second round. This interest killer has been offset by the inclusion of four teams each from the Highland and Lowland Leagues and two teams each from the Welsh, Irish and Northern Irish Leagues.

The prospect of seeing an English team which pretends to be Welsh playing a Scottish team on a plastic pitch in a wood in rural Shropshire for a possible semi-final against a team from Belfast and shown live on Welsh language television was just too good to miss. QoS fans travelled south in great numbers and must have found Park Hall quite a culture shock. Fans get their hands stamped on entry to allow access to the Venue, a community facility with a creche, bar and bowling alley. The two small seated stands, one covered by sheets of tarpaulin, look temporary even though they have been there for years. Fans were at least allowed to stand on this occasion, unlike the regular European qualifiers which are designated as all-seated.

Unlike England's much maligned Checkatrade Trophy, both teams took this game very seriously and the QoS fans made for a great atmosphere. But by the end, a few fans had had enough of the cold and went to watch the game in the bar. How it ended 0-0 I shall never know. TNS started superbly and had a goal controversially disallowed for off side. It developed into real end-to end stuff with chances spurned at both ends and defenders putting their bodies on the line. Ex-Everton star James McFadden missed the easiest. It came down to penalties with TNS winning 4-3 after the first four were missed.

With Crusaders also through to the semi-finals, only Inverness CT and Dumbarton now stand in the way of a Wales vs N. Ireland Scottish Challenge Cup final. I wonder where they would play it?