• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Some TV commentators seem to not fully the rules of the game, as one of them said if the game had been further on in time it would have been a red card, but because the game was much earlier in progress, a yellow one was acceptable. What a load of utter tosh!!!!

Alan Shearer said something along those lines on MOTD, he was basically suggesting the referee had bottled it because it was so early in the game and he's probably right.

A referee getting it wrong because they didn't see something is one thing but when they clearly see it and bottle it. Graham Scott should be suspended.

It happens all the time and you both know it. Personally i think you should be allowed one "let them know you are there/reducer" challenge early doors. No blood or bones visible then play on............

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Puffing Devil

Established Member
How is that not a red card? Had Kompany not fouled Vardy he was through on goal and would almost certainly have scored.

Some TV commentators seem to not fully the rules of the game, as one of them said if the game had been further on in time it would have been a red card, but because the game was much earlier in progress, a yellow one was acceptable. What a load of utter tosh!!!!

I think he was lucky not to go.

In the ref's defence, he may have seen Stones coming in from the side, and he has the pace to be able to meet Vardy. Also, Ederson was coming out to meet him and that is by no means a done deal.

Antman

Established Member

In the ref's defence, he may have seen Stones coming in from the side, and he has the pace to be able to meet Vardy. Also, Ederson was coming out to meet him and that is by no means a done deal.

I think the only way Stones would have stopped Vardy would be by fouling him.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
I think the only way Stones would have stopped Vardy would be by fouling him.

Possibly, or he may have slid in and clipped the ball. All moot, now, though. This is why we need VARs in place for big decisions, and their discussions need to be open and relayed to the stadium just like Cricket and Rugby.

Darandio

Established Member
I'm betting on about 5:30pm at the latest.

Well, I was only out by around 40 hours. Pulis couldn't have timed it better for the Wales job.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42041923

Tony Pulis Sacked

Tony Pulis has been sacked as West Brom head coach with the club a point above the Premier League relegation zone and without a win in 10 top-flight games.

The Baggies were beaten 4-0 at home by Chelsea on Saturday.

Albion won their first three games of the season, but have drawn four and lost seven since beating Accrington in the Carabao Cup on 22 August.

Former West Brom manager Gary Megson, who had been Pulis' assistant, is taking over "until further notice".

Chairman John Williams added: "These decisions are never taken lightly but always in the interests of the club.

"We are in a results business and over the back end of last season and this season to date, ours have been very disappointing.

"We would like to place on record our appreciation of Tony's contribution and hard work during a period of transition for the club which included a change of ownership. We wish him well in his future endeavours."

West Brom face Tottenham in the Premier League at Wembley on Saturday and follow that with home games against Newcastle (28 November) and Crystal Palace (2 December).

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Possibly, or he may have slid in and clipped the ball. All moot, now, though. This is why we need VARs in place for big decisions, and their discussions need to be open and relayed to the stadium just like Cricket and Rugby.

It will be singing swing low sweet chariot and pretending that is an atmosphere next. - Anyway I like abusing the referee. That is an important point of the fan experience. We might have to admit our teams aren't very good if we cant blame the ref!

Antman

Established Member

Vardy in those situations and nine times out of ten it's a goal.

I totally agree with you about VAR's though, can't come soon enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Pullis goes - writing has been on the wall for some time. Football fans can be thick sometimes. Who will WBA get who could be better? Have they forgotten Pepe Mel and Alan Irvine

Darandio

Established Member
Pullis goes - writing has been on the wall for some time. Football fans can be thick sometimes. Who will WBA get who could be better? Have they forgotten Pepe Mel and Alan Irvine

Indeed. The best man to get them out of their current predicament is erm....Tony Pulis. Although I do fear we will now be subjected to Big Sam again.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
nowt wrong with BFS when you are in trouble and heading for the trap door. Although with mega bucks foreign owners at WBA it might be Gianfranco Zola.

Antman

Established Member
nowt wrong with BFS when you are in trouble and heading for the trap door. Although with mega bucks foreign owners at WBA it might be Gianfranco Zola.

Zola is a lovely bloke but has he got what it takes to be a manager?

Pulis is the man for a relegation scrap, wouldn't it be bizarre if he ended up back at Crystal Palace?

Puffing Devil

Established Member
I thought Pulis set up very well for the two recent games against Citeh, giving us a really close run in League Cup. I'm not sure that another manager will be any more successful with the resources available.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
It will be singing swing low sweet chariot and pretending that is an atmosphere next. - Anyway I like abusing the referee. That is an important point of the fan experience. We might have to admit our teams aren't very good if we cant blame the ref!
Bournemouth fans like to moan about the ref even when they win 4-0... even when their first two goals were such an injustice that the officials could be awarded assists... even when that referee is one who's never been in charge of a game they've lost!

The end result was fair of course, if slightly flattering to those plucky Russian-backed little minnows... <( ;)

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Bournemouth fans like to moan about the ref even when they win 4-0... even when their first two goals were such an injustice that the officials could be awarded assists... even when that referee is one who's never been in charge of a game they've lost!

The end result was fair of course, if slightly flattering to those plucky Russian-backed little minnows... <( ;)

With their Tory boy manager of whom I hold an irrational dislike

AlterEgo

Veteran Member

In my view Vardy was likely to score from that opportunity. It doesn’t have to be a clear nailed on obvious goal to receive a red, merely the denial of a “clear goalscoring opportunity”. Stones isn’t getting there and Vardy I reckon had a greater than 50% chance of scoring.

Antman

Established Member

Definitely a foul before their opening goal, how the referee and his assistant both missed it is beyond me.

Harbouring

I wasn't aware of Mr. Howe's political affiliation, but if what you say is true he's gone down in my estimation...

Why should a football managers political persuasion matter? I’m no fan of anything blue (except Pompey) but I couldn’t really care what any manager voted. There certainly doesn’t seem to be any evidence online of him being an outspoken right winger in the JRM mould.

As it goes Eddie Howe I would regard as someone who has worked very hard to get where he is. He played less than a full game for Pompey after a biggish money move here because of two serious injuries but he still worked hard for the next 18 months to try and yet himself back to fitness to repay the investment of the club, unfortunately it wasn’t to be and we were in the premiership and injuries slowed him down so he ended up going back to Bournemouth.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I wasn't aware of Mr. Howe's political affiliation, but if what you say is true he's gone down in my estimation...

I don't know that he is a Tory boy! As I said, irrational.

Well you've said it..........irrational. Seems the sort of person nobody could dislike to me.
I agree. I just don't like him or perhaps more accurately how he comes across on TV as i don't know the man. Perhaps i just prefer my managers to be more grizzled

Why should a football managers political persuasion matter? I’m no fan of anything blue (except Pompey) but I couldn’t really care what any manager voted. There certainly doesn’t seem to be any evidence online of him being an outspoken right winger in the JRM mould.

As it goes Eddie Howe I would regard as someone who has worked very hard to get where he is. He played less than a full game for Pompey after a biggish money move here because of two serious injuries but he still worked hard for the next 18 months to try and yet himself back to fitness to repay the investment of the club, unfortunately it wasn’t to be and we were in the premiership and injuries slowed him down so he ended up going back to Bournemouth.

he had some very bad injuries and has done well at Bournemouth. Didn't do so well at Burnley

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Well you've said it..........irrational. Seems the sort of person nobody could dislike to me.

Watford fans + Brighton fans - and throw in some Derby and Boro fans too back in 2015, although the latter have tuned down much since then.

Some might even say a hint of jealousy eh? ;)

bb21

Emeritus Moderator

"We moan when we're winning. We moan when we're winning."

I think I like the sound of that, if that means more 4-0 drubbings. Now remind me, that's, what, 9 goals in 3 meetings? :)

Can't wait to get back to the Galpharm later in the year. I had one of my fondest games there.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
That must show Sean Dyche in a good light in your eyes....:p

It was way too soon for Howe at the time, but I can understand why he did it, as I would probably have done the same if I were in his shoes. Most of us were simply a little surprised that he decided on Burnley rather than Palace.

I won't comment on his achievements/failures at Burnley as I'm naturally biased, but I note even Burnley fans themselves are pretty divided over Howe's time there and his contribution towards the team's latter success under Dyche.

But Dyche has done very well to take two promotions.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
"We moan when we're winning. We moan when we're winning."

I think I like the sound of that, if that means more 4-0 drubbings. Now remind me, that's, what, 9 goals in 3 meetings? :)

Can't wait to get back to the Galpharm later in the year. I had one of my fondest games there.
I think we doomed ourselves by posting extended highlights of the 2011 play-off semi-final second leg on the official YouTube channel last week!

Drogba11CFC

Yate Town 1...Winchester City 1 (Leigh-Gilchrist 43; Cox 54)

Winchester City picked up a point against an in-form Yate side in a match they were unlucky not to win. The visitors dominated the first half, hitting the bar and forcing numerous saves from the Yate keeper, but it was the hosts who took the lead just before half time when their striker evaded two weak tackles and shot past Ryan Pryce. City responded in the second half and equalised when Pat Cox's shot was too strong for the keeper to stop. City came close to a winner, including seeing a shot cleared off the line, but had to settle for a point.

Other Results:

Bideford 4...Larkhall Athletic 1

Bristol Manor Farm 2...Cirencester Town 2

Cinderford Town 1...Salisbury 1

Didcot Town 4...Barnstaple Town 2

Evesham United 0...Taunton Town 3

K*dlington 3...Paulton Rovers 0

North Leigh 3...Bishops Cleeve 1

Shortwood United 1...AFC Totton 3

Swindon Supermarine vs Slimbridge Abandoned after 80 minutes due to serious injury

Wimborne Town 3...Mangotsfield United 1

League Table:
1. Taunton Town 14/35
==================
2. Bristol Manor Farm 16/30
--------------------------------
3. Bideford 15/29
4. Salisbury 15/28
5. Evesham United 17/28
6. AFC Totton 15/26
--------------------------------
7. Wimborne Town 16/26
8. Swindon Supermarine 13/26
9. Didcot Town 16/26
10. Winchester City 15/24
13. Slimbridge 16/19
14. Yate Town 15/18
15. Larkhall Athletic 16/18
20. Shortwood United 13/11
21. Mangotsfield United 15/10
--------------------------------------
22. Bishops Cleeve 16/5

Top Scorers:
1. Dean Stamp (BMF) 15
2. Oli Bailey (WCC) 12
3. Tobias Holmes (WIM) 11
4. Ben Whitehead (CIR), Marley Thomas (SLI) 10
5. Jordan Charran (BAR), Felipe Barcelos (DID) 9

Drogba11CFC

Tuesday's belated match report...

Winchester City 3...Swindon Supermarine 2 (Barron pen 43, pen 88, Bailey 56; Thompson 15, Parsons 65, Westlake s/o 47)

Winchester City climbed back into the top 6 thanks to a hard-fought win over one of the better sides in the league. The visitors started brightly and took the lead when a cross found its way into the net on 15 minutes. City were on the back foot for much of the first half but Rob Carr was fouled in the box just before the break and Jamie Barron sent the visiting keeper the wrong way. Supermarine were reduced to ten men early in the second half when their captain was sent off for two yellows before Oli Bailey beat three players before firing home against his former club to give City the lead. Supermarine equalised when Josh Parsons curled a free kick around the wall but with three minutes left, Winchester were awarded another penalty when the defender got his challenge all wrong and Jamie Barron stepped up to secure the points.

Other Results:

Paulton Rovers 2...Mangotsfield United 4

Yate Town 2...Cinderford Town 2

League Table:
1. Taunton Town 14/35
=====================
2. Bristol Manor Farm 16/30
--------------------------------------
3. Bideford 15/29
4. Salisbury 15/28
5. Evesham United 17/28
6. Winchester City 16/27