• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

jsimpson

Put it this way, it'll be a Brucie bonus if he's still with us at the end of the summer transfer window. I have my doubts about Weimann's future too and would rather not rely on Gabby and Bent for consistent goals.

Always good to see a fellow Villa fan on the forum though :D

Indeed! I hope Weimann stays too, still in contract talks apparently, would be a mistake to let him go! http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-players-urge-andi-1754925

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On that point, does anyone know who the current Reading player is who joined because it was the closest to Heathrow? I'm certain I heard a Football Focus reporter use it as some trivia recently but I didn't catch their name.

Daniel Carrico, signed from Sporting Lisbon. Played 45 minutes in his first match, subbed at half-time, hasn't played since. One for next season in the Championship, so they say...

familyguy99

Oldham Athletic have confirm this Afternoon that Lee Johnson is new manager of Oldham and will be youngest Mangers in England (31)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21353063

^^ I'm surprise that Simon Corney have give him two year contract special we could be relegated come end of April but I'm going give Johnson a chance but saying that, I think we should got someone else in maybe for rest for season and then appoint Johnson in Summer.

richw

Veteran Member
Oldham Athletic have confirm this Afternoon that Lee Johnson is new manager of Oldham and will be youngest Mangers in England (31)

^^ I'm surprise that Simon Corney have give him two year contract special we could be relegated come end of April but I'm going give Johnson a chance but saying that, I think we should got someone else in maybe for rest for season and then appoint Johnson in Summer.

Have you got any matches against Yeovil left, we'd have father against son in the dugout. If he is as good as his father you've got yourself a decent manager.

edit** just found Oldham vs Yeovil is 16th April.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The recent matter concerning Rio Ferdinand and the reasons stated for his pulling out of the England squad brings to mind another former Premiership central defender called Ledley King, who really had to be "nursed through" the matches in the final part of his football career at Tottenham Hotspur.

andrew bell

The comedy merry-go-round at Ewood Park continues as Michael Appleton has been sacked after 15 games in charge of Blackburn. I do feel sorry for all Blackburn fans as these owners have absolutely no clue how to run a football club

Ferret

Established Member
The comedy merry-go-round at Ewood Park continues as Michael Appleton has been sacked after 15 games in charge of Blackburn. I do feel sorry for all Blackburn fans as these owners have absolutely no clue how to run a football club

What a farce! I thought I had it bad where clueless owners are concerned being a Villa fan, but the Venky's?! In what way are these clowns 'fit and proper' people to be running a football club?!

Ivo

Established Member
What a farce! I thought I had it bad where clueless owners are concerned being a Villa fan, but the Venky's?! In what way are these clowns 'fit and proper' people to be running a football club?!

They probably bribed the FA (which any sensible member of the FA would deem an automatic fail) :roll:

They seriously need a reality check. You can't dominate the way Man Utd have without the backing of the staff and the ability of both the team and the wallet at your disposal. Yet they seem to think they can.

And to then blame the manager when things play out as one would expect is even worse...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It has emerged today that Michael Owen is to retire at the end of the season.

BBC Article

Last edited:

Clip

Established Member
So Mcmanaman won't get charged by the FA for his tackle and we are left another player short for the rest of the season. Brilliant.

richw

Veteran Member
So Mcmanaman won't get charged by the FA for his tackle and we are left another player short for the rest of the season. Brilliant.

Because an official saw the challenge, and they say it wil undermine the officials giving retrospective punishment.
In rugby the citing process is in fact very popular with the refs, as they understand they cant see every incident from every angle.
Whilst we mention undermining the ref, is overturning a red card not undermining the ref?

Because an official saw the challenge, and they say it wil undermine the officials giving retrospective punishment.
In rugby the citing process is in fact very popular with the refs, as they understand they cant see every incident from every angle.
Whilst we mention undermining the ref, is overturning a red card not undermining the ref?

I think it's daft considering that the refs are hardly claiming to be perfect. They are just never, ever going to see everything from a perfect angle. If retrospective bans aren't an option, perhaps we need video replays for the refs.

I'm still coming across people who claim that winning the ball is justification for a tackle like that...

Clip

Established Member

From what I remember the linesman was behind haidera so even they could not see what had happened properly.

Its not underming the officials here, its doing the right thing when someone has made a very nasty studs up tackle that has ended a players season.

Or do you think that is acceptable that they go unpunished? I don't amend not just because I'm a Newcastle fan either

richw

Veteran Member
From what I remember the linesman was behind haidera so even they could not see what had happened properly.

Its not underming the officials here, its doing the right thing when someone has made a very nasty studs up tackle that has ended a players season.

Or do you think that is acceptable that they go unpunished? I don't amend not just because I'm a Newcastle fan either

I think they should be punished (Liverpool fan), and definitely follow rugby's example with the citing process. O'driscoll was sin binned by the ref, but on reviewing video evidence the citing commisioner feels it should have been a red card this will be put before a disciplinary committee to decide what punishment if any should be handed to O'Driscall.

In this example the ref has stated from the video evidence he would of sent McManaman off had he a clear view of the incident, but because one of his officials claims to have seen the incident they cant do anything, despite the ref reporting he would of sent off had he a clear view of incident.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Michael Appleton is __________. (Fill in the gap yourself.)

I wouldn't touch that guy with a barge pole. Him and Venky's seem to be a match made in heaven - a pair of clowns.

Bet some Blackpool fans are weeing themselves laughing.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Michael Appleton is __________. (Fill in the gap yourself.)

I wouldn't touch that guy with a barge pole. Him and Venky's seem to be a match made in heaven - a pair of clowns.

Bet some Blackpool fans are weeing themselves laughing.

Why the hate for Appleton? He's a very genuine man, and whilst he doesn't have a great managerial record he certainly cared about the players and fans, and was disciplined and hard working. He never actually met Mr Singh during his time at Rovers, and was only informed by a note when he arrived at training this morning.

CC 72100

Established Member
Why the hate for Appleton? He's a very genuine man, and whilst he doesn't have a great managerial record he certainly cared about the players and fans, and was disciplined and hard working. He never actually met Mr Singh during his time at Rovers, and was only informed by a note when he arrived at training this morning.

Sounds like a really classy way to do things! Sums up Blackburn under the Venkys!

Whistler40145

Established Member
Oh what a mess at Blackburn Rovers!

I bet Michael Appleton now wonders why he left Blackpool.

As a Seasider, I can't stop laughing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Why the hate for Appleton? He's a very genuine man, and whilst he doesn't have a great managerial record

Not so much a hate for him than the amazement that he showed no loyalty whatsoever to the teams that showed faith in him.

What happened to "fight on until the end" at Pompey?
What happened to all his praise for Blackpool when he joined them?

On top of that, like you said, his managerial statistics can't really possibly get anyone excited. It would be interesting to see who comes in for him next.

I'm not sure whether this is karma biting.

he certainly cared about the players and fans, and was disciplined and hard working.

I bet Blackpool fans thought so too.

He never actually met Mr Singh during his time at Rovers, and was only informed by a note when he arrived at training this morning.

Raises more questions as to why he went to Blackburn.

As a Seasider, I can't stop laughing.

As I predicted.

I feel sorry for any Blackburn fans at the moment, with those muppets in charge.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Rather like the managerial appointments at Manchester City so very many years ago, when the word "hot seat" certainly meant what it said.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Oldham Athletic have confirmed this afternoon that Lee Johnson is new manager of Oldham Athletic and will be youngest manger in England (31 years old)

Oldham Athletic 3...Hartlepool United 0

Three valuable points gained from their "game in hand" on Tuesday nights match to welcome the new young manager into his position.

richw

Veteran Member
Oldham Athletic 3...Hartlepool United 0

Three valuable points gained from their "game in hand" on Tuesday nights match to welcome the new young manager into his position.

Lee Johnson joked in his post match thing, that his mother was there to support him and his first match, but really she was scouting for his old man, as the 2 teams meet in 3 weeks time!

Ivo

Established Member
Lee Johnson joked in his post match thing, that his mother was there to support him and his first match, but really she was scouting for his old man, as the 2 teams meet in 3 weeks time!

That must be an interesting position for a lady to be in - do you support your son or husband? (Or be a wuss and go for a draw :lol:)

richw

Veteran Member
That must be an interesting position for a lady to be in - do you support your son or husband? (Or be a wuss and go for a draw :lol:)

Has there ever been such an occasion where father and son have managed different teams in the same league before?

Has Ferguson senior ever played a cup match again ferguson junior's team?

VTPreston_Tez

Now that us North Enders can now laugh at the state of management in 2 of our major rivals clubs (Blackpool, Blackburn) it will be good to see them both in League 1 next season. For now though, we will focus on Coventry and Notts County, who we loathe.

I'm a little bit surprised that the FA haven't charged McManaman to be honest but I guess they have this rule in place about refs/assistant refs seeing the incident and so they take no further action.

Surely though that rule needs review, especially for situations like that.

Trainfan344

Established Member
Due to a poor pitch condition, Gateshead face a 368-mile round trip for a Home Game against Newport County the BBC Reports

Gateshead face a 368-mile round trip to Boston United's York Street ground for their 'home' fixture against Newport County on Thursday, 28 March.

Weather has forced the postponement of the game on four previous occasions.

York Street was the closest suitable A-Grade venue available to Gateshead in order to complete the fixture before the regular season's end on 20 April.

It's a long way to go to play at home now isn't it.

VTPreston_Tez

Coventry City kicked out of the Ricoh and are now in administration. Absolute karma for cheating their way to the JPT area final in honesty