• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Howardh

Established Member
Then, to add insult to injury, the only substitution shown in the highlights was Dan James. As any regular MOTD viewer knows, substitutes are only shown if they are subsequently involved in a major incident. So when James comes up to take the 10th penalty, we all knew what was going to happen.
Must admit that's news to me, although I nowadays very rarely watch MOTD, the games are too short and it sounds like on most highlights commentators are simply dubbing the commentary on top of the highlights from a studio. Funny how often they come up with a line "is there time for an winner...yes, there it is, and that's the final whistle and City win 2 -1".

If they can't have a commentator "live" at the game, like they used to when Barry Davies was around, then don't bother, let's just have the crowd noise. Rant over, move on.....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JamesT

Established Member
Must admit that's news to me, although I nowadays very rarely watch MOTD, the games are too short and it sounds like on most highlights commentators are simply dubbing the commentary on top of the highlights from a studio. Funny how often they come up with a line "is there time for an winner...yes, there it is, and that's the final whistle and City win 2 -1".

If they can't have a commentator "live" at the game, like they used to when Barry Davies was around, then don't bother, let's just have the crowd noise. Rant over, move on.....
I've not seen anything to suggest how they produce MOTD has changed. https://www.johnroder.com/blog/are-the-match-of-the-day-commentators-at-the-stadiums
We are at the stadium; we do 90 minutes live commentary, and then do the post-match interviews.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Darlington 0 v Chorley FM 3. Awful. Darlo denied a goal in the first half with photos showing it over the line.

Total head loss thereafter. Sigh.

Only silver lining Alfreton beat Rushall so not any worse league wise

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
League Two

Forest Green Rovers 0 ... Stockport County 3

Wrexham 2 ... Mansfield 0

Today's fixture list threw up these two fixtures that saw the top three sides and the bottom side involved. Stockport are now back on top, a point clear of Mansfield and Wrexham, with a game in hand.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Darlington 0 v Chorley FM 3. Awful. Darlo denied a goal in the first half with photos showing it over the line.

Total head loss thereafter. Sigh.

Only silver lining Alfreton beat Rushall so not any worse league wise
Even goal-line technology might not help, Huddersfield had a goal not given last season because the officials failed to test that it was functioning correctly before the game.

Meanwhile it's probably time to familiarise myself with directions to Bristol Rovers, Shrewsbury Town and Leyton Orient...

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Even goal-line technology might not help, Huddersfield had a goal not given last season because the officials failed to test that it was functioning correctly before the game.

Meanwhile it's probably time to familiarise myself with directions to Bristol Rovers, Shrewsbury Town and Leyton Orient...
0-0 when the goal wasn't given. They went straight up the other end and scored.........

SteveM70

Established Member
Hartlepool 1-0 FC Halifax Town

A dull game enlivened only by a truly horrific refereeing performance, the obligatory goal scored by an ex-player, and some horrible racist shouting from a Halifax "fan" behind me

SteveM70

Established Member
How could you let the hangers beat you?

We blow hot and cold. Battered champions Chesterfield and then that rubbish today. They were up for it after their drubbing at the Heed in midweek. They got a penner after our goalie had a brainfart, we didn’t get the one we should have (striker held back 8 yards out so couldn’t get on a cross).

Nice pint and bowl of chips on the way back though, so something of a silver lining

JD2168

Xabi Alonso has decided to remain as Bayer Leverkusen manager next season leaving Liverpool & Bayern Munich to search elsewhere for a new manager.

It has been agreed that from next season the matches between Rangers & Celtic will have away supporters. Each club will have an allocation of 5 per cent. The remaining matches this season will have no away fans.

1D54

It has been agreed that from next season the matches between Rangers & Celtic will have away supporters. Each club will have an allocation of 5 per cent. The remaining matches this season will have no away fans.
Rangers must be mad to agree to let one single fan of that lot into Ibrox!! I could give a dozen reasons why but they don't belong on this forum.

THC

Rangers must be mad to agree to let one single fan of that lot into Ibrox!! I could give a dozen reasons why but they don't belong on this forum.
Our fans don't trash city centres when we lose cup finals. Our fans didn't let our club die. Best I leave it there. ;)

THC

1D54

Our fans don't trash city centres when we lose cup finals. Our fans didn't let our club die. Best I leave it there. ;)

THC

As a non-Caledonian, I ask would this be the 2008 UEFA cup final that was held in what was then called the City of Manchester Stadium?
Yep, 200k Rangers fans. I was there and don't believe everything you read.

GSTK.

They have plenty of form in trashing Glasgow city centre but the example you cite is probably most widely known beyond Scotland.

THC
Gangreen Brigage trashing Oswalds Bar?? Palestine?? IRA??? Need i go on???

GSTK.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Yep, 200k Rangers fans. I was there and don't believe everything you read.

GSTK.
I am very surprised that your football club did not make you aware of the actual ground capacity of the then-named City of Manchester Stadium. Surely it was not too difficult for large screens in your actual city to have been erected to cater for the club supporters who could not obtain match tickets to watch a major European cup final and save the travelling expenses to Manchester.

This match in 2008 was two years prior to my retirement and I and two of my under-managers had a consultancy visit to make to a company in the centre of Manchester the day after that match was played and saw the aftermath results of the riot in the area of Piccadilly Gardens with my own eyes. I had no need to read about it. There were 39 police officers who were "casualties" during the events of the previous night.

Last edited:

1D54

There were screens erected in Glasgow but it's gotta be better to be in the city where the game is taking place. Yes there were a few problems in Manchester with ticketless fans who spent most of the day on the sauce. Any comment on the behaviour of the GMP that night?

Sevilla two years ago was a fantastic experience 200k Brits in attendance and great banter with Frankfurt fans.. I even travelled via Dublin!!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
There were screens erected in Glasgow but it's gotta be better to be in the city where the game is taking place. Yes there were a few problems in Manchester with ticketless fans who spent most of the day on the sauce. Any comment on the behaviour of the GMP that night?

Sevilla two years ago was a fantastic experience 200k Brits in attendance and great banter with Frankfurt fans.. I even travelled via Dublin!!
I have never understood the logic of that statement. Manchester city centre is far removed from either of the two major football stadiums and just because a football match in being played in them, the city centre does not magically take on some strange mystical aura that only affects football supporters but does not affect people who visit the city centre for a wide range of reasons totally unconnected to football.

Your comment of "a few problems in Manchester" shows how matters of discord must be viewed north of the border when describing the events that actually occurred.

I do note the part of your posting referring to "ticketless fans" who seemingly chose to ignore the trouble that their own local authority had gone to in order to allow large screens to be erected for their local residents to watch. I had answered your query about the GMP in an earlier posting when I noted that no less than 39 police officers were "casualties" on that particular match day.

Last edited:

1D54

I see Harry Kane FC lost 2-0 @ home to Borussia Dortmund and are now 13 points adrift.
Leverkusen need 9 points and can possibly win the title on April 21st with a win in Dortmund.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Ilkeston 2 Bradford 2. 2-0 and we ++++ it up yet again, their second straight from a corner. That’s 31 pts lost from winning positions (plus 3 more for an expunged win). We’re all but doomed and parks league football against the likes of Liversedge and Brighouse, and possibly even Campion, Thackley or Albion Sports looms next season. To think we once beat Man City 8-2 away.

75A

Established Member
Interesting to see that rugby officals get things wrong as well. Yesterday a Harlequins player only spent 7 minutes in the 'sin bin' rather than 10 & when he came back on he made a match saving tackle.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Wythenshawe (Ammies) travel to Bury on Saturday and to neighbours Wythenshawe Town on Easter Monday. The results from these two games should go a long way in deciding who gets promoted to the Northern Premier.
That match finished 1-1 with Wythenshawe scoring the equaliser deep into injury time, Match attendance was 4,212. Wythenshawe still second and Bury still third. This match result bodes well for top place Wythenshawe Town.

JD2168

In the Sunday matches Liverpool came from behind to beat Brighton 2-1 at Anfield & Manchester City & Arsenal played out a very disappointing & poor 0-0 draw. This means that Liverpool leapfrogged Man City & Arsenal to lead by 2 points.

Purple Train

Established Member
Best wishes to Frida Maanum, who collapsed during the Women's League Cup final, and glad to hear that she is stable.

It was a good game though, certainly better than what the Premier League served up today, with Arsenal scoring the winner four minutes from the end of extra time. Rather more disappointing than the good crowd of 21,462 was a rather unsavoury clash between the managers at the final whistle.

I shall refrain from commenting on the Bristol City game because I'm still not quite sure it happened!