• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Formula 1

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Howardh

Established Member
I know we are only one race in and Australia is purported to be a difficult and unique track but I hope things improve going forward because at the moment it seems pretty much the same headline stories of the last few seasons.

Mercedes showing early signs of continued dominance.
Ferrari promising but not delivering.
Mclaren faltering
Williams at the back
New aero rules didn't seem to make much difference (at least at this track)

On a side note, why is Melbourne always first in the season when it very rarely puts on an interesting race?
They have widened the front airfoil, in addition to widening the cars last year. Makes overtaking even more difficult. Think it's time to reduce the size of both, and start to chuck away the tech and let the drivers drive. Maybe even just one set of tyres - unless it's wet. Might as well get a play station game than watch these guys going round and round in circles

JamesT

Established Member
They have widened the front airfoil, in addition to widening the cars last year. Makes overtaking even more difficult. Think it's time to reduce the size of both, and start to chuck away the tech and let the drivers drive. Maybe even just one set of tyres - unless it's wet. Might as well get a play station game than watch these guys going round and round in circles

I think it's a bit early to say the new rules on the front wings haven't worked. Melbourne has always been terrible for overtaking. Bigger simpler wings should in principle allow for closer following of the car in front, but if the track isn't suited then it may not be enough. Bahrain in two weeks should be a much better showcase for overtaking.

Pakenhamtrain

Why did F1 stop going to Adelaide for the Aussie gp?
Ron Walker and Jeff Kennett pinched it off Adelaide.

Adelaide still gets used in a modified layout for the Supercars.

I think it's a bit early to say the new rules on the front wings haven't worked. Melbourne has always been terrible for overtaking. Bigger simpler wings should in principle allow for closer following of the car in front, but if the track isn't suited then it may not be enough. Bahrain in two weeks should be a much better showcase for overtaking.
Oh course they couldn't overtake. Lakeside drive is double lines!:lol::lol:

Last edited:

bnm

Established Member
A much better F1 race today in Bahrain compared to the season opening snoozefest in Australia. Yet again Ferrari prove their excellence in losing from a winning position. And yet again Vettel proves he cannot go wheel to wheel without ****ing up.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
A much better F1 race today in Bahrain compared to the season opening snoozefest in Australia. Yet again Ferrari prove their excellence in losing from a winning position. And yet again Vettel proves he cannot go wheel to wheel without ****ing up.
I must agree. It was an excellent race but you've got to feel for Charles. Vettel just seems to be proving whoever called him a "1 trick pony" (I'm inclined to say Herbert) right at this point.

HOOVER29

Didn’t watch the race so two out of two not seen.
What has Vettel grown under his nose?

Howardh

Established Member
More interesting than Melbourne, but Max denied an unlikely third by the darned safety car. It's a pity that laps under the car are "lost" (although hapy for LeC still being on the podium, he deserves ita and is a real challenger) it even gives drivers a "free" pit, personally I'd rather all the cars go in and wait and when clear, simply released in the correct order 3 seconds apart (as under the SF more-or-less) and we race again keeping the same number of laps.

OK, there may be light issues at some races and TV times issues, but if each race had a 15 minute window to cater for the s/c would that matter much?

GB's Norris picked up 8 points. His first??

GB

Established Member
So what you basically want is red flags instead of a safety car? No thanks.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Something I've been wondering about - why do races these days start at xx.10 instead of the more logical and long standing xx.00?

DDB

Good question. I think it orginates from trying to start the races a bit later.
Is the national anthem with the drivers gathered at the front of the grid (a relatively new thing) on the hour hence pushing everything else back? Or could it be to allow TV coverage to start on the hour with a small intro and still catch the start?

GB

Established Member
Starts at xx.10 to help the tv companies with their scheduling. They can start their program on the hour and not miss the first minute or so.

SteveP29

Is the national anthem with the drivers gathered at the front of the grid (a relatively new thing) on the hour hence pushing everything else back? Or could it be to allow TV coverage to start on the hour with a small intro and still catch the start?

TV coverage, as GB says.
The national anthem has been played before every Grand Prix for decades

Geezertronic

Established Member
I must agree. It was an excellent race but you've got to feel for Charles. Vettel just seems to be proving whoever called him a "1 trick pony" (I'm inclined to say Herbert) right at this point.

When the pressure is on with or without a good teammate, Vettel does tend to screw up. His last reason with Red Bull springs to mind as does the German Grand Prix last year (not forgetting the "bumper car" incident with Hamilton). Be interesting to see how he recovers (if indeed he does)

gswindale

He's in no position to speak. He threw away the 1997 championship.
97? If memory serves, that was the year Schumacher was disqualified after deliberately trying to destroy Villeneuve's race in Jerez.

Irvine only had a shot at the title the year Schumacher broke his leg, which was 99 I seem to recall.

NoMorePacers

Established Member
I just wanted to post this considering recent events in the last two seasons:

YwpFGwy.png

Howardh

Established Member
Just three words to describe this year's championship so far - boring, boring and boring.

So much so that when my Now TV's sub is up for renewal later this month, I won't bother.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Just three words to describe this year's championship so far - boring, boring and boring.

So much so that when my Now TV's sub is up for renewal later this month, I won't bother.

Radio 5 is the way forward. I agree the racing has been quite dull but Hamilton has a bit of pressure from his team mate ( and he doesn't like that!) and Ferrari surely cant keep making cack handed strategy calls!