• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Formula 1

najaB

Veteran Member
Max Verstappen has won the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix with Lando Norris in second & Charles Leclerc in third. Max winning margin was 7 tenths of a second in a race that was quite poor for the first half & much better in the second half & towards the end.
Indeed. It would have been interesting to see what one more lap might have brought - could a McLaren with DRS pass a Red Bull?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
It looks like maybe, possibly, hopefully there might be some competition from a few races time!

We can only hope.

JD2168

Charles Leclerc has qualified on Pole position for the Monaco Grand Prix with Oscar Piastri in second, Carlos Sainz in third, Lando Norris in fourth, George Russell in fifth, Max Verstappen in sixth & Lewis Hamilton in seventh.

Some shocks were Pierre Gasly & Alex Albon in Q3 & Fernando Alonso & Sergio Perez knocked out in Q1.

Established Member
Both Haas cars are disqualified from qualifying for DRS infringements and will start from the back

JD2168

Charles Leclerc has won the Monaco Grand Prix. The entire top 10 finished in the places they started in during a very poor race.

The main incident came on the opening lap when Kevin Magnussen, Sergio Perez & Nico Hulkenberg were involved in a crash on the run up to Massanet where Magnussen should have backed out of a gap that was always going to close & left a large amount of debris which caused a red flag. Other opening lap incidents included Carlos Sainz getting a puncture when battling with Oscar Piastri but was allowed to start from his original starting position on the restart grid.

The other incident was Esteban Ocon producing an optimistic opening lap move on Team mate Pierre Gasly which resulted in Ocon’s car running over the top of Gasly’s front wheel & damaging his suspension. It resulted in a ticking off from Team Principal Bruno Famin in the French press.

After these incidents all cars were allowed to change tyres & nothing much happened until the finish.

Howardh

Established Member
Charles Leclerc has won the Monaco Grand Prix. The entire top 10 finished in the places they started in during a very poor race.

The main incident came on the opening lap when Kevin Magnussen, Sergio Perez & Nico Hulkenberg were involved in a crash on the run up to Massanet where Magnussen should have backed out of a gap that was always going to close & left a large amount of debris which caused a red flag. Other opening lap incidents included Carlos Sainz getting a puncture when battling with Oscar Piastri but was allowed to start from his original starting position on the restart grid.

The other incident was Esteban Ocon producing an optimistic opening lap move on Team mate Pierre Gasly which resulted in Ocon’s car running over the top of Gasly’s front wheel & damaging his suspension. It resulted in a ticking off from Team Principal Bruno Famin in the French press.

After these incidents all cars were allowed to change tyres & nothing much happened until the finish.
Just watched the "highlights" on Channel 4, that's an hour of my life I won't get back.

Time to remove Monaco from the F1 calendar, but keep it as an one-off (a bit like a cup final) as it's still a spectacular location, and maybe for that one race tweak the rules so something like if you are within 1 second of the driver in front for a certain time they have to let you overtake (but no DRS involvement). Or make three pit-stops compulsory. Or something. Narrower cars. Anything!!!

JD2168

Just watched the "highlights" on Channel 4, that's an hour of my life I won't get back.

Time to remove Monaco from the F1 calendar, but keep it as an one-off (a bit like a cup final) as it's still a spectacular location, and maybe for that one race tweak the rules so something like if you are within 1 second of the driver in front for a certain time they have to let you overtake (but no DRS involvement). Or make three pit-stops compulsory. Or something. Narrower cars. Anything!!!

I think a mandatory two stop strategy should be implemented for this race not including red flag tyre changes & a possible small layout change after the right gander after the Hairpin to turn left, do a loop around the back & rejoin at Portier, would produce a longer straight to the Chicane.

Spamcan81

What is the point of the Monaco Grand Prix? Barring a disaster/monumental cock up, whoever leads out of the first corner wins the race.

DelW

Established Member
Hmm, 45 seconds of action then an hour and a half of tedium. I don't remember ever hearing so many drivers being told to slow down.

It's nice to see races being dominated by someone other than MV (and RB), but this one proves that alone doesn't make for interesting racing.

Howardh

Established Member
What is the point of the Monaco Grand Prix? Barring a disaster/monumental cock up, whoever leads out of the first corner wins the race.
I think a mandatory two stop strategy should be implemented for this race not including red flag tyre changes & a possible small layout change after the right gander after the Hairpin to turn left, do a loop around the back & rejoin at Portier, would produce a longer straight to the Chicane.
Looking at a map, could the straight after the tunnel not be extended so rather than the chicane you carry on straight, and then rejoin further on, adjacent to the Miramar?

najaB

Veteran Member
Looking at a map, could the straight after the tunnel not be extended so rather than the chicane you carry on straight, and then rejoin further on, adjacent to the Miramar?
I thought the chicane was added in the 1980s precisely to break up the straight and to provide an opportunity for out-braking your opponent. Hence why it's called the "Nouvelle (new) Chicane"?

Last edited:

66701GBRF

I believe one of the commentators said during the race it's usually one of the only overtaking parts of the track. Also, if you get rid of it then there is a high chance it would allow too high speed for the next part of the circuit.

Howardh

Established Member
I thought the chicane was added in the 1980s precisely to break up the straight and to provide an opportunity for out-braking your opponent. Hence why it's called the "Nouvelle (new) Chicane"?
In the 80's cars were narrower than today, I would have thought squeezing past someone at the hairpin was possible then? No idea why cars and tyres have to be so wide these days, probably too much tech inside them!!

JamesT

Established Member
In the 80's cars were narrower than today, I would have thought squeezing past someone at the hairpin was possible then? No idea why cars and tyres have to be so wide these days, probably too much tech inside them!!
It’s the perennial battle to try and improve the racing generally. It was perceived that aerodynamics was too powerful and cars couldn’t follow each other. So restricting aero and allowing bigger stickier tyres should allow closer racing.
Of course, what works in theory…

gswindale

Whilst it might not be the most visually exciting of circuits, it must require monumental concentration from the drivers to keep the car out of the barriers.

Surely that is part of the interest in seeing who can hold their concentration throughout? Clearly some were not paying attention at the start this year.

One slight mistake in Monaco and race over. Make a slight mistake at CotA and you lose .4 seconds and carry on. Therein is the challenge.

Howardh

Established Member
Whilst it might not be the most visually exciting of circuits, it must require monumental concentration from the drivers to keep the car out of the barriers.

Surely that is part of the interest in seeing who can hold their concentration throughout? Clearly some were not paying attention at the start this year.

One slight mistake in Monaco and race over. Make a slight mistake at CotA and you lose .4 seconds and carry on. Therein is the challenge.

Not really sure that's why fans pay enormous Sky subs, to watch 2 hours of concentration!! To be fair though, with Max dominating, apart from recently, there's little excitement anyway. Might be more interesting if Red Bull fade a bit, but otherwise it's all just a yawn-fest.

SynthD

Established Member
Singapore is a better street circuit, it’s much harder on the drivers. Races are faster, longer, the drivers close to fainting from the humidity. Saudi Arabia made some changes which make that track worth its place in the calendar.

Howardh

Established Member
Singapore is a better street circuit, it’s much harder on the drivers. Races are faster, longer, the drivers close to fainting from the humidity. Saudi Arabia made some changes which make that track worth its place in the calendar.

We once had a formula 2 around the streets of Birmingham (I think) and also some suggested Hyde Park (!!). But if we wanted a genuine street circuit in the UK would the Liverpool river front be a suitable venue? I once suggested that as a joke on a sports forum, but was amazed when fans replied "it's not such a bad idea, with some tweaks it's do-able and would allow overtaking"?

Anyhow, could anyone suggest a street circuit in the UK that could be made, with plenty of access for fans and overtaking??

Edit - correction, formula 3000 and it was called "The Superprix"

najaB

Veteran Member
Anyhow, could anyone suggest a street circuit in the UK that could be made, with plenty of access for fans and overtaking??
We had a thread about this a while back (it might even have been earlier in this thread). I'll have a hunt for it, if I can't find it then maybe it's worth it's own thread - suggestions for F1 tracks in your home/favourite town.

Edit: It was earlier in this thread - https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/formula-1.149042/post-5394448

baz962

Established Member
Milton Keynes would do, as some of the teams are based there. See how they handle some roundabouts :D

Western Lord

There's been a chicane at roughly the same point at Monaco ever since the Grand Prix started in 1929. Its position varied slightly over the years but it was always a fast flick until the current, much slower, layout was adopted (hence the "nouvelle" tag).

sannox

I think Monaco is a boring race in modern formula 1. It has been getting worse - refuelling and associated tyre changes added jeopardy and meant there was pushing hard - you get the feeling drivers are concentrating but driving well within their limits.

DelW

Established Member
At 8pm this evening, ITV4 is showing "Monaco Historique Grand Prix Highlights". I'm assuming that it's video taken during the GP weekend of racing using historic cars, rather than old films of races from earlier years.

My view is that early 1960s cars (light, narrow, no aerodynamics, 1500cc atmospheric engines, manual gears) used to provide a much more entertaining spectacle at circuits like Monaco than current cars do. This programme might offer some indication whether I'm right or not.

(Update) Four races were shown, in categories of:
pre-war cars
post war up to 1961 (front engined)
1962 - 1965 (rear engined)
1966 - 1972 (with "wings")

all of which were (for me) more entertaining than Sunday's race.

There seems to be further coverage on the same channel at 8pm on Thursday.

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Esteban Ocon will leave Alpine at the end of the season. This must be a consequence of his Monaco crash with team mate Gasly

Esteban Ocon is to leave Alpine at the end of the year after five seasons with the French team.

The move comes in the wake of Ocon angering team principal Bruno Famin by crashing with team-mate Pierre Gasly on the first lap of the Monaco Grand Prix.

I think the Monaco crash can be viewed as "the last straw" for an already pretty broken relationship. Bruno Famin was clearly no fan of Ocon, Ocon was pretty openly looking around for options, and Ocon and Gasly should never have been in the same team in the first place. I think there will be sighs of relief all around that it's over, and I'm sure Formula E will welcome another ex-F1 driver. ;)

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Sergio Perez has signed a new two-year contract to stay at Red Bull: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/articles/cv22n5ypp5ro

Sergio Perez has signed a new two-year contract to stay at Red Bull in Formula 1 until the end of 2026.

The world champions have decided to stick with the Mexican, who joined the team in 2021, rather than switch him for Carlos Sainz, who is available following Lewis Hamilton’s decision to move to Ferrari from 2025.

Team principal Christian Horner said: "Continuity and stability are important for the team and both Checo and Max [Verstappen] are a successful and robust partnership."

Horner’s decision comes despite a dip in form for Perez in the past three races in Miami, Imola and Monaco, where he finished fourth, eighth and crashed out on the first lap after qualifying 16th.

Horner said: "The past few races have been tough, there is convergence on the grid, but we are confident in Checo and look forward to his return to proven form and performance, that we so often see."