• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Forum downtime Sat 4 June

Status
Not open for further replies.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I am glad to see myself back behind Tom B, David, matt, 142094, ajax103, Julian G, Max, 37401, thefab444 and Jim in the overall posters ranks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HST Power

Established Member
I am glad to see myself back behind Tom B, David, matt, 142094, ajax103, Julian G, Max, 37401, thefab444 and Jim in the overall posters ranks!

Is there a way to see the full Leaderboard for all time posting (I know of the Top Posters board, I mean a board showing everybody's total)

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Is there a way to see the full Leaderboard for all time posting (I know of the Top Posters board, I mean a board showing everybody's total)

Click community at the top, then Members List, then Posts and it will order all members in the order of ascending post counts.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
You shouldn't be posting for the post count! I think this is what the Admin's wanted to avoid, thus they took the decision that quiz answer's wouldn't count.

I agree! I don't understand the need or desire to post, post, post. I think I probably post too much, but I enjoy reading all the threads and contributing to those that particularly interest me. But I am not motivated by a need to post a particular numbe rof time sa day, a week, or whatever.

I do seem to spend far too much time on here, and I hardly ever now go on to some other internet non railway related forums as a result! But as long as I am enjoying myself...!

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I think HST has realised that posts here count towards his post count... ;)

If you start worrying about your post count, then there is a real danger that you start to post without thinking about whether your post adds anything, so it's best not to get into the mindset.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
I personally don't really mind what my post count is - it doesn't take away from the value of my posts. However, some forums do place a lot of value in post counts, and if you've got less that 100 (or whatever figure) you basically get ignored.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I think HST has realised that posts here count towards his post count... ;)

If you start worrying about your post count, then there is a real danger that you start to post without thinking about whether your post adds anything, so it's best not to get into the mindset.

I quite agree.

I personally don't really mind what my post count is - it doesn't take away from the value of my posts. However, some forums do place a lot of value in post counts, and if you've got less that 100 (or whatever figure) you basically get ignored.

I never know what my post count is. I have missed the ntoable milestones that some people set great store by - 1,000 etc, I didn't even realise I had reached them!

We're going off the rails now.

Quite! There will always be some posts that add little or nothing to the debate, but simpel messages like 'I agree with you' do tend to make the forum a friendlier and more civilised place.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Back on topic, will the 'Top Posters' page ever be updated to show the new posting levels as things now stand? I know that in 28 days' time they will...

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Back on topic, will the 'Top Posters' page ever be updated to show the new posting levels as things now stand? I know that in 28 days' time they will...
The Top Posters page is constantly being updated every time someone makes a post and views it. It reflects actual posts made on the forums over the last day, last 7 days and last 28 days, as well as displays a user's post count.

HST Power

Established Member
The Top Posters page is constantly being updated every time someone makes a post and views it. It reflects actual posts made on the forums over the last day, last 7 days and last 28 days, as well as displays a user's post count.

I just have small query regarding the decision not to count posts from the Quiz Forum into the total. You see I couldn't help wondering if it hadn't been possible to set this new mode so it works as of the future. Basically, why couldn't it have been implemented so that posts in the quiz forum no longer count as of today. The current system has checked back and taken out every single Quiz Forum post made in the past. I know of one user who has lost more than 2,500 posts because of this.

theblackwatch

Established Member
It's somewhat worrying that people seem so het up about post counts. 2,500 post counts have been lost - what difference does it make? Perhaps the better answer would be to do away with them altogether.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I just have small query regarding the decision not to count posts from the Quiz Forum into the total. You see I couldn't help wondering if it hadn't been possible to set this new mode so it works as of the future. Basically, why couldn't it have been implemented so that posts in the quiz forum no longer count as of today. The current system has checked back and taken out every single Quiz Forum post made in the past. I know of one user who has lost more than 2,500 posts because of this.
I am not sure what you are asking; no user has lost any posts in the Quiz section as none have been deleted.

If you are asking why have post counts been decreased, then that is because at the same time as adjusting the settings it was decided to recalculate all post counts based upon the new settings.

HST Power

Established Member
It's somewhat worrying that people seem so het up about post counts. 2,500 post counts have been lost - what difference does it make? Perhaps the better answer would be to do away with them altogether.

I'm not making a fuss, I'm merely asking.

If you are asking why have post counts been decreased, then that is because at the same time as adjusting the settings it was decided to recalculate all post counts based upon the new settings.

Now I'm with you.

Last edited:

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
I am not sure what you are asking; no user has lost any posts in the Quiz section as none have been deleted.

I think what he's getting at is that someone's post count has decreased by 2,500. I don't see why that's a problem though because if people are worried about their post counts then they probably aren't posting for the right reasons.

HST Power

Established Member
I think what he's getting at is that someone's post count has decreased by 2,500. I don't see why that's a problem though because if people are worried about their post counts then they probably aren't posting for the right reasons.

No problem, I understand the system now. Thanks Mojo. And Ralph, didn't we have that conservation this morning? :lol:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Exactly ralphchadkirk. I didn't even know there was a 'Top Posters' section! If there is competition to be top of that, perhaps that should be done away with if it only serves to encourgae people to increase their post numbers?

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
No problem, I understand the system now. Thanks Mojo. And Ralph, didn't we have that conservation this morning? :lol:

Probably! :)

Exactly ralphchadkirk. I didn't even know there was a 'Top Posters' section! If there is competition to be top of that, perhaps that should be done away with if it only serves to encourgae people to increase their post numbers?
The Top Posters seems to be a modification to the core code, so it should be easily got rid of. I'm not sure what purpose it serves - as you can order people by post count in the Members List.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
The Top Posters seems to be a modification to the core code, so it should be easily got rid of. I'm not sure what purpose it serves - as you can order people by post count in the Members List.

I didn't know there was a members list either!

I can't see what purpose the top posters list serves either. It seems to say, by implication, that the more you post the better you are!

Personally speaking, I come on here when I am bored and have nothing better to do. I am only on when I am at home, not in work or on the move. Therefore, if I have posted a lot (and I know I've been on a lot this weekend!) then all it shows me is that I have been stuck at home too much and then I feel guilty about not getting out and about, especially in this fine weather!

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
I feel guilty about not getting out and about, especially in this fine weather!
Well, I shall be reliving my guilt by going for a walk soon! However, it's just started raining.

Anyway, it's up to the people who pay for the forums as to what they want to do with them. I'm indifferent either way really, it won't affect me as a member, as I don't really care for my post count.

SS4

Established Member
I can't see what purpose the top posters list serves either. It seems to say, by implication, that the more you post the better you are!

There is a positive correlation between post count and the quality of posts. There will always be some outliers who borderline spam to get a better post count and there will always be some with few posts who is outstanding but has a narrow understanding

Personally speaking, I come on here when I am bored and have nothing better to do. I am only on when I am at home...then I feel guilty about not getting out and about, especially in this fine weather!

I've stayed indoors because of the weather this weekend, it's been too hot to do anything.

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
There is a positive correlation between post count and the quality of posts. There will always be some outliers who borderline spam to get a better post count and there will always be some with few posts who is outstanding but has a narrow understanding

That'd be a negative correlation then...? :)

12CSVT

Established Member
So that's why my post count dropped from 900+ to under 400 ?

SS4

Established Member
That'd be a negative correlation then...? :)

More posts (x) = higher reputation (y)
less posts = less reputation.

If one were to plot a scatter graph of reputation against posts, the line of best fit would have a positive gradient making a positive correlation?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I would like to make a further point to the moderators, in the hope that postings on here are read by them.

Postings on this particular forum should also NOT count towards any member's posting total...as is now the case with the quiz question problem that was correctly addressed by the moderators to prevent misuse.

This is just my hope, as I see a worrying trend occuring on this part of the forum. It surely did not need as many "points of clarification" being made, in such a short period of time, to address a simple statement made by the moderators, which had been made by them in the clearest possible terms.

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
More posts (x) = higher reputation (y)
less posts = less reputation.

If one were to plot a scatter graph of reputation against posts, the line of best fit would have a positive gradient making a positive correlation?

I apologise, particularly to Paul, but this post to which we refer makes reference to Post Quality, and does not in any way mention a correlation involving reputation.

More posts = lower quality and vice versa. :roll: :D

Sorry, that needed clearing. I don't think it needs any further comment though, as it pretty obvious what happened, and I am too pedantic for my own good...

Status
Not open for further replies.