• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Forum Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The text being hidden by the virtual keyboard (as mentioned by @Crossover ) is a bit of a pain... As is not being able to edit titles of threads started by oneself- think we could do that on the old system, though I have slept since then!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
But whenever I used to log in, they would disappear. Now they don't.
The adverts at the top and bottom of the page always used to appear whether you were logged in or not. There was one advert that was made to look like a post, this Ad only appeared if you were logged off but does not exist at all at the moment.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Sorry if this has already been discussed, but under the previous vBulletin system, there was a section that showed all your contacts/forum friends in a four-column alphabetical list order and there was another small section that showed the number of forum friends you had (I had 589 at the last count) plus the number of members who had visited your profile page (mine showed a figure of 7718 last time I saw it).

Has the same information been transferred across and where do I find this information in this new system?

A Challenge

Established Member
Sorry if this has already been discussed, but under the previous vBulletin system, there was a section that showed all your contacts/forum friends in a four-column alphabetical list order and there was another small section that showed the number of forum friends you had (I had 589 at the last count) plus the number of members who had visited your profile page (mine showed a figure of 7718 last time I saw it).

Has the same information been transferred across and where do I find this information in this new system?
https://www.railforums.co.uk/members/paul-sidorczuk.9957/following
https://www.railforums.co.uk/members/paul-sidorczuk.9957/followers

Not sure which you meant though!

ABB125

Established Member
The adverts at the top and bottom of the page always used to appear whether you were logged in or not. There was one advert that was made to look like a post, this Ad only appeared if you were logged off but does not exist at all at the moment.
Right, I just haven't noticed them before.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You will be able to if you cannot already. This can be accomplished by 'Thread tools' - Edit title at the top. Unfortunately setting permissions on xF is incredibly complex and time consuming, the permission has to be set for the individual usergroup AND for the individual forum which takes a very long time with over 20 usergroups and more forums! Fortunately in most cases these can be set to 'inherit' the permissions from the main usergroup but they might not have come ported across like that.

I spent all day yesterday sorting out various access for some forums and haven't even got through one category yet.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
In the name of all that is holy I knew there'd be a lot of work for staff with these changes but was totally unaware of the shear extent of this kind of thing. A huuuuuuuuuuge thanks from an appreciative member. How does one rename their own thread then, for future refference?

LeylandLen

Im looking for a 'help' section , or 'What to do if you want to ....', or a page that tells us what the symbols mean and a simple glossary and definitions of items etc

planetf1

I see the tapatalk support might come late but I wanted to add my support for it too. I mostly browse the forums from mobile and pretty much use tapatalk as much as I can as I find it significantly easier

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I also get taken to the first unread post when I click on the thread title... is that how it’s meant to be?
Yes that is supposed to work that way.

Im looking for a 'help' section , or 'What to do if you want to ....', or a page that tells us what the symbols mean and a simple glossary and definitions of items etc
Some help is available at the link at the bottom of the page. We will endeavour to provide more over time.

krus_aragon

Established Member
I've just noticed the green triangle in the upper left of the avatar area that indicates if a member is currently online or not. It appears to me like it should overlay the corner of the avatar, but it's actually sitting immediately left of the avatar, looking a bit odd.

(Happening with IE11, Firefox 52 and Chrome 61 running on Windows 7)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Will any member who only uses Tapatalk have any difficulty in making postings now?

Sat on a train, posting from my iPad using the web interface, it is improved enough that I no longer wish to use Tapatalk, which itself isn’t that good anyway.

I’m impressed with this update. Altogether much nicer to use. Thanks and well done to the forum staff for their choice of software.

Chrisyd

Sat on a train, posting from my iPad using the web interface, it is improved enough that I no longer wish to use Tapatalk, which itself isn’t that good anyway.

I’m impressed with this update. Altogether much nicer to use. Thanks and well done to the forum staff for their choice of software.

Really like the mobile experience, must admit I have swapped the tapatalk icon on my Android phone for one which loads the website version of the forum.

From a Forum Admin / Technical point of view are there any advantages to us using one option over the other?

Massive applause for all involved with the transfer as this has hit so smoothly.

Domh245

Established Member
Something that I've just noticed may be a feature, based on this post is automatic image resizing - I assume that this works on all mobile as well? Here is a large picture off wikipedia to check

158854_Sheffield.jpg

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Something that I've just noticed may be a feature, based on this post is automatic image resizing - I assume that this works on all mobile as well? Here is a large picture off wikipedia to check

158854_Sheffield.jpg
yep, that works. Another great feature as it stops an entire page being rendered unreadable because of one large image. This on chrome via Android.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster

That is an excellent feature.

I would encourage people who are immediately requesting Tapatalk functionality to at least try out the mobile version of the site for a while. It offers vast improvements over the previous site, which had effectively no mobile functionality.

Status
Not open for further replies.