• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freightliner Various Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stigy

Established Member
As far as I can tell Vienna is the product name for this collection of tests....there are still individual tests within that group but they will be the Vienna observation test, the Vienna reaction test, the Vienna coordination test, etc
Thanks for confirming. I’m happy enough in that even if I did have to do them all they’re not really something one can do much preparation for other than to be aware of them, so I’m focusing more on interview prep.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stanstaff

Thanks for confirming. I’m happy enough in that even if I did have to do them all they’re not really something one can do much preparation for other than to be aware of them, so I’m focusing more on interview prep.
I agree mate,that is what I am trying to focus on aswell from what I am reading on here the mmi is a bit gruelling.

Katie78

Hey guys,

Subject to medical I've been accepted into their trainee driver programme. 3.5 years of waiting has paid off. I'm over the moon.

It's moved so quickly since stage 2 testing on 4th September. If I remember I think they're looking at early november start and I'm down for Birmingham.

It's a good sign for rest of you how quickly it's moved. Not seen that before

Congratulations. I was there at stage 2 on the 4th. May see you at medical.

Stanstaff

Congratulations!! I found out in friday i have passed mmi. Just need to wait and hear from FL to see if i passed the dmi.
Congratulations, what sort of questions was asked for the mmi how did you find the computer test any tips ?

Jay_t

Congratulations, what sort of questions was asked for the mmi how did you find the computer test any tips ?
Thanks.. typically what has been mentioned on this thread about the kind of questions, emergency procedures/lone working ect. The are looking for your experiences in life/work for these and dont fib,, they will catch you out. They take it very serious, facial expressions dont give anything away, just do your best on the day to speak clearly and answer using the star technique..
Good luck!

Stanstaff

Thanks.. typically what has been mentioned on this thread about the kind of questions, emergency procedures/lone working ect. The are looking for your experiences in life/work for these and dont fib,, they will catch you out. They take it very serious, facial expressions dont give anything away, just do your best on the day to speak clearly and answer using the star technique..
Good luck!
Thank you much appreciated.

Stigy

Established Member
Did you all put references on your CVs or do they as you on the day?
I didn’t think of this to be honest, but I guess it’s good practice to anyway and won’t do any harm. Alternatively just write in it “references available on request” or something. There was also no mention of a cover letter in the email I was sent, so I might attach one anyway, especially as we’ve not completed a structured application form (I assume there isn’t one as we’d have done this by now?).

Diff

Good luck!

What if you don't have the correct experiences to answer the question? For example, if a question was 'Write about a time you were in an emergency situation...' - I'm 23 and have never been in a serious emergency situation. I would literally have no good answer for that question, never witnessed an accident or crash or anything like that, never had to phone the emergency services. That question would likely make me fail the interview.

What if you don't have the correct experiences to answer the question? For example, if a question was 'Write about a time you were in an emergency situation...' - I'm 23 and have never been in a serious emergency situation. I would literally have no good answer for that question, never witnessed an accident or crash or anything like that, never had to phone the emergency services. That question would likely make me fail the interview.

Well it doesn't have to be a serious emergency, just something unexpected that you had to deal with - maybe even a fire alarm that has gone off when you've been in a building etc. They aren't expecting you to describe a time when you rescued people from a burning building!

Mike121

Well it doesn't have to be a serious emergency, just something unexpected that you had to deal with - maybe even a fire alarm that has gone off when you've been in a building etc. They aren't expecting you to describe a time when you rescued people from a burning building!

I am quite lucky (or unlucky, depending on how you look at it, ha) when I worked on board I had an engine fire on one of the carriages, and had to do an emergency evacuation of the train. I always use this in interviews even though it was a while ago!

Paulm36

I'm also struggling a bit with this question , as I've never really had to deal with an emergency situation as such , but I have had to deal with a number of degraded situations, such as expensive damage to public property . I'm not exactly sure that this is going to be enough , but I hope so, because without lying , which I won't do, it's all I've got.

Stigy

Established Member
I'm also struggling a bit with this question , as I've never really had to deal with an emergency situation as such , but I have had to deal with a number of degraded situations, such as expensive damage to public property . I'm not exactly sure that this is going to be enough , but I hope so, because without lying , which I won't do, it's all I've got.

I think sometimes you have to think outside the box. Don’t think about life threatening emergencies that you’ve dealt with (because most people would struggle with that), but everyday emergencies with family or friends, car breakdowns etc etc. The term emergency is a bit overused I think. I believe they emphasise emergency as being any unexpected event.

Cheggers

I think sometimes you have to think outside the box. Don’t think about life threatening emergencies that you’ve dealt with (because most people would struggle with that), but everyday emergencies with family or friends, car breakdowns etc etc. The term emergency is a bit overused I think. I believe they emphasise emergency as being any unexpected event.
I am lucky with this as I had loads of examples from my 20 year military career and more recently as a Train Guard. But I know people who have used such obscure experiences as running out of fuel on way to work for an important meeting or car breaking down, or having to get to hospital as wife's in labour. So I think the word "emergency" can be used in the most broadest of terms IMHO.

Paulm36

Thanks for that , I think it is just the term emergency that gets you over thinking things.

Stigy

Established Member
I am lucky with this as I had loads of examples from my 20 year military career and more recently as a Train Guard. But I know people who have used such insure experiences as running out of fuel on way to work for an important meeting or car breaking down, or having to get to hospital as wife's in labour. So I think the word "emergency" can be used in the most broadest of terms IMHO.
I’m the same mate, as I’ve been in a Policey type role for a TOC for a long time, plus I’m a Responder for the Ambulance Service. I do think I’ll struggle on some examples, such as “give an example of when you’ve have to attend a course for over 2-weeks”, or “give an example of when you’ve had to concentrate for a long period of time”. I think I should take my own advice and not think too much about the latter one certainly, I think maybe a long drive in a car would suffice as I’ve done plenty of those! But the course one? Assuming these questions are asked of course ;)

Cheggers

I’m the same mate, as I’ve been in a Policey type role for a TOC for a long time, plus I’m a Responder for the Ambulance Service. I do think I’ll struggle on some examples, such as “give an example of when you’ve have to attend a course for over 2-weeks”, or “give an example of when you’ve had to concentrate for a long period of time”. I think I should take my own advice and not think too much about the latter one certainly, I think maybe a long drive in a car would suffice as I’ve done plenty of those! But the course one? Assuming these questions are asked of course ;)
The course longer than 2 weeks question was in DMI. Again if you have never been on one for that long don't lie. He said at the beginning of my.interview, he'd rather you be truthful than make it up.

Have you never done a college or uni course for two weeks or been on a training course of any sort.

I'd try to turn question around and tell them the longest course I had been on and how hard it was as the concentration levels were very high as the pass Mark for the end of course exam was 95%, so you had to do lots of self study in your own time and persevere to pass as it doesn't come naturally to you....... or words to that effect lol.

Last edited:

Stigy

Established Member
The yourselves 2 weeks question was in DMI. Again if you have never been on one for that long don't lie. He said at the beginning of my.interview, he'd rather you be truthful than make it up.

Have you never done a college or uni course for two weeks or been on a training course of any sort.

I'd try.to turn question around and tell them the longest course I had been on and how hard it was as the concentration levels were very high as the pass Mark for the end of course exam was 95%, so you had to do lots of self study in your own time and persevere to pass as it doesn't come naturally to you....... or words to that effect lol.
Thanks for the advice. Again, thinking outside the box I guess (maybe I should take my own advice? :D), as I hadn’t looked at it like that. Aguably better as it’s a DMI question rather than an MMI I suppose.

baz962

Established Member

As a responder , was your blue light driving course or first aid course longer than two weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.