• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freightliner Various Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Diff

The course longer than 2 wee...

Have you never done a college or uni course for two weeks or been on a training course of any sort.

I'd try to turn question around and tell them the longest cour...

The course for 2 weeks one stumps me too. I did a college course for a year when I left school but is this the sort of course they are after? It's obviously more than two weeks but to me the quesrion sounds like it's asking for something different and more important. Maybe it's just me looking into it and not thinking outside the box then...

Cheers :)

Cheggers

The course for 2 weeks one stumps me too. I did a college course for a year when I left school but is this the sort of course they are after? It's obviously more than two weeks but to me the quesrion sounds like it's asking for something different and more important. Maybe it's just me looking into it and not thinking outside the box then...

Still a course. I'd say, in my opinion, turn it into a positive. Did you have to study outside normal working hours? Ie, research etc. Was there an exam you had to pass? I'd mention how much you had to persevere to pass it but also even though it was a lot of studying you relaxed by.....(insert hobby). This shows you are not just a robot and have other interests rather than just work. But others might have an opinion on this? Just my opinion.

I think the college course is valid - they want to see that you are able to study for an extended period of time and be able to understand and take the information in. Bear in mind that a lot of the the initial training will be spent in a classroom and by all accounts its pretty intense!

martin2345uk

Established Member
I have a quick question about the MMI - it says in the info booklet that the SJE you sit beforehand 'feeds into' the MMI... but I thought you write down your experiences in advance and they use those as the basis for the interview... how does the SJE feed into it exactly?

Bristol VRIII

As far as I can tell Vienna is the product name for this collection of tests....there are still individual tests within that group but they will be the Vienna observation test, the Vienna reaction test, the Vienna coordination test, etc
Cool thanks If that is the case then I think I need to do the SJE and MMI as I've been told I need to do everything but the Vienna Test System

Stigy

Established Member
Cool thanks If that is the case then I think I need to do the SJE and MMI as I've been told I need to do everything but the Vienna Test System
That’s what they told me, which was why I asked. I’m satisfied that it’ll just be the SJE and MMI/DMI. However when I asked them to clarify that the Vienna tests were all computer tests, they just told me it’s all in the guidance book. Of course they could just have said “yes” ;). That’s what threw me a bit to be honest as they don’t mention this in the guidance book (the RSSB one).

Stigy

Established Member
As a responder , was your blue light driving course or first aid course longer than two weeks.
I don’t drive under blue light conditions and the course wasn’t that long either. I’m a volunteer CFR so basic life support stuff (however, the volunteering is good for the CV if nothing else haha).

Bristol VRIII

That’s what they told me, which was why I asked. I’m satisfied that it’ll just be the SJE and MMI/DMI. However when I asked them to clarify that the Vienna tests were all computer tests, they just told me it’s all in the guidance book. Of course they could just have said “yes” ;). That’s what threw me a bit to be honest as they don’t mention this in the guidance book (the RSSB one).

I asked them for clarification as to what components form the Vienna Test System but i never received a response :oops:

DazJTDm

Congratulations to everyone who has passed the stage 2 so far, I have mine on 25th Sept which luckily coincides with a week off work so I’m doing my research. Has anything been mentioned so far about the ‘bond’ that may be asked of you when you get to the stage of signing an employment contract? Or does anyone know how theses bonds work/had one before? I think it’s perfectly reasonable that the TOCs would want to get some certainty from their new employees as the training is also a big investment on their part, but I’d like to have an idea about what form this bond takes before I go in for the DMI next week. Cheers.

Stigy

Established Member
All this talk of SJE, would this be similar to the SJE test we all sat at the beginning?
Basically, I think. Although they don’t use the results of this one as a pass or fail alone, but to form part of the MMI. The format might be slightly different though.

delticdeano74

Congratulations to everyone who has passed the stage 2 so far, I have mine on 25th Sept which luckily coincides with a week off work so I’m doing my research. Has anything been mentioned so far about the ‘bond’ that may be asked of you when you get to the stage of signing an employment contract? Or does anyone know how theses bonds work/had one before? I think it’s perfectly reasonable that the TOCs would want to get some certainty from their new employees as the training is also a big investment on their part, but I’d like to have an idea about what form this bond takes before I go in for the DMI next week. Cheers.
Hi mate, my experience with a training bond were when I worked as a bus driver with first. On passing out as a driver, the bond was applied (£1500 or £2000, can't remember which it was now). For every month that passed, the bond got less and less until it was satisfied after two years. So if you left after a year, you paid back half and so on. Freightliner could well be different of course. They probably have been implemented through past experience of trainees passing out then jumping ship, or jumping train.....

Cue tumbleweed..

Last edited:

Stigy

Established Member
Hi mate, my experience with a training bond were when I worked as a bus driver with first. On passing out as a driver, the bond was applied (£1500 or £2000, can't remember which it was now). For every month that passed, the bond got less and less until it was satisfied after two years. So if you left after a year, you paid back half and so on. Freightliner could well be different of course. They probably have been implemented through past experience of trainees passing out then jumping ship, or jumping train.....

Cue tumbleweed..

I’ll be honest I didn’t even consider this (I assumed there would be a clause in the contract to keep new employees there, didn’t consider financial one though). I agree it’s perfectly reasonable to ensure staff are loyal for a certain period of time and after all, money talks as they say, whereas trying to claw money back after a breach of contract would be a nightmare. I’d like to think it’s done in a way that affects staff the least though, especially since from what I’ve heard, training salary at least for the first few months is very low for the industry.

I’ve decided during typing this, that I’m not even going to think about this until such time as I’ve completed the MMI/DMI. I’mall cross that bridge if/when I come to it. :D

Stanstaff

Just a quick question regarding one of the interview questions about what’s the course lasting longer then 2 weeks, I have been doing/ studying Kung fu for a number of years after 3 months we have to do written assessments aswell as physical would this count as a course or does it have to be an academic course?

Pete C

To those who have completed Stage 2 - can you remember the names of any of the people who were on the panel for the DMI?

DazJTDm

Cue tumbleweed..
That’s very helpful, thanks.

Crazyb

I left Freightliner Intermodal around 17 months ago. I was never a trainee, but the trainees that did come in, I'm sure they were bonded for around 3 or 5 years. I can't remember.

When the Freight market dipped, some trainees that had passed out as drivers were allowed to leave the the company and the join other TOC's because of work load losses, but this opened the flood gates for other drivers that were bonded, that could now leave.

Loads of drivers that were trainees are now leaving to move to TOC's because of the better conditions and working hours. For you guys this may be different, and they may have changed how the bond works. I don't think Freightliner will want to have their fingers burnt again.

All the bond will do, is hold you to the company. If you break this, you "MAY" have to pay your training fees back. Now this is a railway rumour, but training is around 75k.....so they say.

At the moment there are plenty of vacancies, and still quite a few leaving, I was told Saturday just gone, so you all should have a good fighting chance. The good thing for you guys, is that Freightliner do not have a waiting list like years ago, and there is only a few, if any moving from a TOC to a FOC.

All freight compaines are having trouble recruiting, so good luck all......And Intermodal is the one to go for !!!! not than I'm bias.

And for those waiting to here back....It take ages for a FOC or TOC reply.....It's a railway thing...HR are still the same after 34 years on the railway !!!!!!!!!!!

Stigy

Established Member
I left Freightliner Intermodal around 17 months ago. I was never a trainee, but the trainees that did come in, I'm sure they were bonded for around 3 or 5 years. I can't remember.

When the Freight market dipped, some trainees that had passed out as drivers were allowed to leave the the company and the join other TOC's because of work load losses, but this opened the flood gates for other drivers that were bonded, that could now leave.

Loads of drivers that were trainees are now leaving to move to TOC's because of the better conditions and working hours. For you guys this may be different, and they may have changed how the bond works. I don't think Freightliner will want to have their fingers burnt again.

All the bond will do, is hold you to the company. If you break this, you "MAY" have to pay your training fees back. Now this is a railway rumour, but training is around 75k.....so they say.

At the moment there are plenty of vacancies, and still quite a few leaving, I was told Saturday just gone, so you all should have a good fighting chance. The good thing for you guys, is that Freightliner do not have a waiting list like years ago, and there is only a few, if any moving from a TOC to a FOC.

All freight compaines are having trouble recruiting, so good luck all......And Intermodal is the one to go for !!!! not than I'm bias.

And for those waiting to here back....It take ages for a FOC or TOC reply.....It's a railway thing...HR are still the same after 34 years on the railway !!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the information, really useful stuff! I agree about the TOCs being preferable for drivers. I work for a TOC and would have no perks in comparison working for a FOC (free travel/PRIV etc.). However, I’d be willing to sacrifice all that for a career driving, which of course can move on to better things in the years to come (I would probably work for a TOC in the longterm, but would be happy to stay with a FOC for a few years). I just say, I also like Freightliner’s receuitment process which is different from the norm (it means candidates are selected for initial assessments solely on their aptitude without the recruiters basing decisions on anything else they might otherwise do if candidates fill out structured application forms first). I applied for Eastleigh, which I believe is Intermodal, but I’d be interested to hear your views as to why you prefer intermodal?

Last edited:

Pete C

Anyone know if Tilbury is Intermodal or HH? I've read both on here so a little confused.

Mike121

Thanks for your information! Can I ask what is the pension like? Is it final salary pension?

Regan

Hi pension scheme at intermodel is £69.72 a week final salary started with the company on the 27/08/18 as a qualified driver.

Stigy

Established Member
Has anybody else received an email from the OPC who has their stage 2 assessment just reminding us to be on time and bring all we need to etc? Didn’t know if it’s the norm or not, but I nearly sh*t myself (that’s not ‘shot myself’ by the way ;)). Thought they were gonna say it’s been rescheduled at first, which would be a nightmare and quite frankly Sod’s law, since I’ve booked a hotel which isn’t refundable:(:{

Status
Not open for further replies.