• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

From the department of the Bleedin' Obvious...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Death

Established Member
Hail all! <D
Feeling a bit peckish earlier this evening, I decided to attack a bag of Tesco penuts that was conveniently floating around in the larder. It was only after I'd gotton about half-way through the bag before I noticed this:...

20081101bleedinobviouspsg3.jpg

Higher resolution versions: 887x604 (127Kb), 1774x1208 (393Kb), 3548x2416 (1.18Mb)

Is it me, or is todays culture of red tape and the "Let's sue 'em" mentality starting to go just a little too far?... :shock::roll:<(

Farewell...And if ye have any similar examples to share, please post 'em here! <D
>> Death <<

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

me123

Established Member
It used to say "may contain traces of peanuts" :lol:

Established Member
Pees, in that meal? NEVER!? :lol:!. Spot the obvious is used here (on the packet).

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Ah! This one is going around again!

First of all, under our legal system there is no way that someone could sue Tesco if they suffered from a nut allergy and intentionally consumed these products.

Secondly, it's to do with Tesco being helpful in putting this label on their products. If anyone knows anyone with a nut allergy, they will know shopping can be an absolute nightmare, having to hunt over packaging for information on its content. Unfortunately there is no agreed or legal standard for clear labelling when it comes to allergy advice, but Tesco are doing what they can. The only reason for this being there is to maintain consistency across all their products.

Death

Established Member
It used to say "may contain traces of peanuts" :lol:
The thing that worries me about the allergy advice above is the subtext; "May contain traces of other nuts" which doesn't detail what kind of nuts they're on about! :shock:
Now I'm hoping they're referring only to things like Cashews and Hazelnuts with that statement...Otherwise in consuming the contents of that bag, I might've - On a technicality - Become gay without realising it! :shock::lol::razz:

As far as Tesco's stuff is concerned, another two classics (Though I can't provide photo/scanner evidence alas) are:
  • Tesco Finest* Channel Island Milk - On the back of the bottle was an allergy advice panel that stated "WARNING: Contains milk"...
    [Death assumes a badly emulated 12-year old chavs voice] Nevvver!... :roll::?
  • Tesco Finest* Black Forest Gateux: - This came packaged in a cake container with a transparent lid and a band of cardboard bearing product information. On one part of this cardboard band - Placed in such a way that one could only read it by looking at the container from underneath - Was the advice "Caution: Do not turn container upside down." :shock::roll::lol:
Do you have a nut allergy Mojo?
If he did, my scan-ins at the top of this thread would've given him an anaphylactic shock by now...And he wouldn't have been able to make that post! :lol:;)<D

Last edited:
I know it seems to most people to be pretty damn obvious, but like Mojo has said, Tesco's have to put all allergy advice on their products if needed so people with a nut allergy can buy and consume products without having a reaction which can be fatal. Mojo is right, it can be a pain when shopping, and also, don't forget restaurants.

I know for a fact that if you go for a meal in Frankie and Benny's, their chips are cooked in peanut oil. That means if someone has a severe allergy to peanuts, they could suffer from an anaphylactic shock, and in the worst case scenario, die.

Just remember, it might be bleedin' obvious, but it's there for a reason.

Last edited:

Death

Established Member
Ah! This one is going around again!
I'd heard about it several times before, but I thought it was an urban legend...As ye can see from the scan-ins above (Aye, I did flatten that bag out and throw it in my scanner as I don't have a 600dpi camera to hand! :lol:) I actually came across this on a physical product wrapper, so thought I'd post it as proof of todays official stupidity! :roll::lol:8)

First of all, under our legal system there is no way that someone could sue Tesco if they suffered from a nut allergy and intentionally consumed these products.
O...K... :roll: The very notion of such a legal action even being entertained in Court sounds completely nonsensical and idiotic to me. It'd be the same as me trying to use a chainsaw without wearing safety equipment, cutting my leg off in the inevitable accident, and then suing Stihl because I lost a leg whilst using their product! :shock::roll:<(

If I wasn't wearing appropriate safety equipment whilst using a dangerous tool like a chainsaw, then it should be held as 100% my fault. I might have a right to sue the safety equipment manufacturer...But ONLY if Id've inspected and worn such equipment in full accordance with instructions, and that equipment were then to fail in it's duty to protect me from accidental contact with the saws Blade! 8)

If someone eats a bag of peanuts in the full knowlege that they are allergic to them, then they only have themselves to blame...They are eating a bag clearly labelled as containing peanuts - And Tesco (Or whoever sold them the nuts) should be completely liability free IMO! :roll:
If someone isn't aware that they have an allergy and eat a few, the immediate swelling and resulting shock would hopefully stop them from continuing to eat them, and seek medical advice straight away. :)

Secondly, it's to do with Tesco being helpful in putting this label on their products. If anyone knows anyone with a nut allergy, they will know shopping can be an absolute nightmare, having to hunt over packaging for information on its content. Unfortunately there is no agreed or legal standard for clear labelling when it comes to allergy advice, but Tesco are doing what they can. The only reason for this being there is to maintain consistency across all their products.
I suppose that does make sense, but maybe the text "No warnings bar the obvious one" would be better used in the case of a product whose name is well known as an allergen, and is emblazoned all over the packaging anyway... :D<D

I know it seems to most people to be pretty damn obvious, but like Mojo has said, Tesco's have to put all allergy advice on their products if needed so people with a nut allergy can buy and consume products without having a reaction which can be fatal.
I fully support the idea of product labelling in this manner, especially where potentially fatal allergies are concerned. If a chocolate bar contains peanut in it's ingredients or might have been contaminated by another product line that does (I.E: Snickers have peanuts, Mars bars don't...But both are made by Mars confectionary, most likely in the same factory, and probabally using the same machinery) then it should be labelled as such IMO. 8)

It's just the idea of putting such a warning on a product that would've been identifiable as being unsuitable for nut allergy sufferers even by 1920CE's product labelling standards, that seems strange (And rather amusing) to me... :D:lol:<D

You might have trouble eating gateux upside down, Gizzy. You might want to try upside down cake instead :p
...But if she were to take such a cake to Australia, would it still be an "upside down" cake? :lol::razz:

Last edited:

Tom B

Established Member
I'm concerned that there's only "traces" of nuts - if I'd bought a bag of peanuts I'd want them to contain a bit more than just traces!

Bayum

Established Member
How about sleeping pills which may tell you *warning, may cause drowsiness. Do not drive or operate machinery*

EE Type 3

Established Member
I love it how on a bottle of water there is a use by date, when its been in the ground for trillions of years.

djw1981

Established Member
It does say traces of other nuts.....

some people are fine with peanuts but allergic to cashew or Almonds.

Thus they want peanuts packaged in a facility which only handles Peanuts.

Death

Established Member
On the side of some milk cartons it says 'Allergy Advice: May Contain Milk' :roll:
May contain milk? If it didn't, what would ye find inside the carton upon opening it? :shock::lol::razz:

How about sleeping pills which may tell you *warning, may cause drowsiness. Do not drive or operate heavy machinery*
Worryingly enough, I once saw exactly the same warning on a bottle of Calpol Six Plus... :shock::roll:<D

Now I might just be being a little paranoid about equal opportunities nowadays...But if I was catching a train and saw an unattended seven year old sat at the controls in the cab, I'd probabally be worrying about a lot more than whether or not that child had taken Calpol before his shift... :o:shock::lol:

I love it how on a bottle of water it said 'suitable for vegetarians and vegans' too :lol:
What I don't get is the following situation with Walkers crisps... :roll:

Walkers lines that are surprisingly labelled suitable for vegetarians:
  • Prawn cocktail,
  • Barbecue Beef,
  • Smokey Bacon
Walkers lines that are labelled not suitable for vegetarians:
  • Cheese and Onion,
  • Ready Salted
Just goes to show the completely stuffed-up World in which we live in, doesn't it? Sometimes, todays society gets to me so bad that I even start praying for Ragnarok to happen a few thousand years ahead of schedule just so the human race can start again from square one... :shock::sad:<(

william

Established Member
Posted by Death Now I'm hoping they're referring only to things like Cashews and Hazelnuts with that statement...Otherwise in consuming the contents of that bag, I might've - On a technicality - Become gay without realising it!

I wouldn't be worrying about that, rather the fact that some poor factory workers are running round searching for their testicles!

As for water with a sell by date, maybe it has something to do with the packaging?
Besides, I wouldn't fancy drinking water which has various salt precipitates coating the sides of the bottle, would you?

Death

Established Member
Besides, I wouldn't fancy drinking water which has various salt precipitates coating the sides of the bottle, would you?
Well, my kettle's had a 2mm thick layer of limescale around the bottom of it for a while now (Despite regular swilling out, but I'm in a hard water area here <D) and it's never caused me any trouble! :)

Indeed...A little bit of limescale - I'd say - Is actually quite good for ye! 8)

william

Established Member
Yes, but it's your kettle. Some bottled water with a strange precipitate might not be so familiar!
Anyway, hasn't there been some fuss over potential toxic effects from plastic packaging lately?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Gizmogle done this: Mmm gateux

*Turns upside down*

PMSL I love you.

Bayum

Established Member
I love it how on a bottle of water there is a use by date, when its been in the ground for trillions of years.

Yes, but, water thats come out of the ground, and is *spring water* etc etc, is a whole lot worse than water that comes out of the tap...

So, think of all the germs that maybe in the bottle, etc

Darandio

Established Member
Yes, but, water thats come out of the ground, and is *spring water* etc etc, is a whole lot worse than water that comes out of the tap...

So, think of all the germs that maybe in the bottle, etc

But how do you know at for sure? Remember this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3523303.stm

Might be worse, might not be. Makes you wonder how many manufacturers could be doing this, although I would imagine there are controls in place. Or maybe not, if they got away with it initially.

Death

Established Member
Anyway, hasn't there been some fuss over potential toxic effects from plastic packaging lately?
To be perfectly honest I'm not bothered about all of this fussing about over "germs this, bacteria that" etc...A little advice is fine (I.E: I do wash my hands after sanitary activities) but nowadays it goes too far IMO! :roll::o<(

In any case; Ye are talking to one of very few people of my age group who are still happy to drink their Ale from a pewter tankard, as opposed to some crappy plastic pint glass with a wasp in it... :shock:8)<D

But how do you know at for sure? Remember this? http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3523303.stm
Oh aye, the old Dasani "Mineral" water case... :roll::lol::razz:

Personally though, I think the funniest thing is that - Even though the UK discovery of Dasani's composition was broadcast right across the known World via the Internet and other mediums - It still remains the most popular brand of bottled water in the U.S, and often sells for higher prices per bottle than Vittel or Evian! :shock:

Just goes to show ye what the majority of the U.S. population are like when it comes to being ripped-off right under their noses - Look at George Bush! :shock::lol:<D

--- Alt nachricht oben/Neu nachricht unten: ---

A general note to everyone on the board:
Anyhow; As I'm a classic case when it comes to staying on my PC for "just one more minute" and I have a lot still to do before I set off for Norway tomorrow, this is going to be one of my final posts here until I get back, and - To make sure that I maximise the time that I have available - I'm not planning to read the board from this point until I return from Norway. :D8)
In the meantime, have an excellent one whilst I'm gone, and I'll catch ye all again when I get back! <D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.