• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fully refurbished 313 at Brighton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fincra5

Established Member
Hi, today on the way to work I saw a fully refurbished 313 (313206) managed to glimpse inside from my train, could see some high backed seats, and the train is fully covered with "Coastway" branding :) Would be good to see in side, shame I don't think it is coming inot service soon :(

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ukrob

Established Member
Wonder how they compare to the Merseyrail 507/8 refurbs.

Fincra5

Established Member
Hmm, from re-looking at the Southern plan I can imagine them being quite similar, all be it with green seats and lights that aren't covered.

Class_508_interior_1.jpg

When i managed to look at the front of the 313 i couldn't see a White destination blind, I guess it has been fitted with a dot-matrix display :)

paul1609

Established Member
Hmm, from re-looking at the Southern plan I can imagine them being quite similar, all be it with green seats and lights that aren't covered.

Class_508_interior_1.jpg

When i managed to look at the front of the 313 i couldn't see a White destination blind, I guess it has been fitted with a dot-matrix display :)

No its just a display that says sorry failed, empty to depot

LoversWalk75A

Seaford - British Railways Southern Region
313 206 has no pantograph! Its seats look like the high-backed variety, and with a lack of suitable armrests. Automated PA systems have been installed, together with LED destination displays. New floors, walls and lighting have also been fitted.

Tart up 36 year old crap.....how very NSE-esque.

Fincra5

Established Member
They actually bothered to remove the pantograph? Can't see the benefit but maybe the 313s will spend the remainder of their days with Southern. Hopefully it will be in-service by decemeber, still 3months of crap interiors to go :(

Last edited:

MCR247

Established Member
They actually bothered to remove the pantograph? Can't see the benefit but maybe the 313s will spend the remainder of their days with Southern. Hopefully it will be in-service by decemeber, still 3months of crap interiors to go :(

Maybe it will very slightly reduce the weight?

GospelOak117

Nice to see old stock with a new lease of life to be honest :)

Too right. It is ridiculous that decent rolling stock is swept away just because it is not new and shiny anymore, such as the 312's which were less than 25 years old at final withdrawal, or IE's entire Mk3 fleet. It is so nice to see old trains continue in service for as long as they are still viable. LU's half-century old A-Stock springs to mind, still in my opinion not only the best and most comfortable Underground stock, but also suburban stock in the London area!!

I hope these hard working 34 year old trains (the 313's) and other remaining British Rail era rolling stock have a bright, long future ahead of them.:D

Fincra5

Established Member
I give them around 10years tops :) Maybe less.

Although given the amount of money Southern have spent on refursbishment etc, I guess they will use them for as long as possible.

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Too right. It is ridiculous that decent rolling stock is swept away just because it is not new and shiny anymore, such as the 312's which were less than 25 years old at final withdrawal

Yes, I think the hysterical rush to scrap anything with slam doors was frankly pathetic IMO. The survival in service of 50 year old bubble cars is testament to that. Still, with the current economic situation such as it is, that sort of waste will be a thing of the past for many years to come.

klewer

Sure they were introduced after 1974? I'm thinking 1976, making them a mere 34 years old.. To be honest the age of these units shouldn't matter - they've been plodding up and down the NLL/WLL for a number of years without too much grief, and are still the mainstay of the Great Northern suburbans. Just because they're older than most other stock doesn't mean they're automatically cr*p.

I do wonder why they didn't use the redundant 508's for these services, allowing the 313's to go where needed north of London on the 25kv overheads? Would this have not been a better use of available stock?

djh1986

Had a peep from the 19.19 Brighton - Victoria service tonight and seemed to be a very similar interior to the London metro services with the high back seats but I could just make out armrests I think!

Fincra5

Established Member

Sure they were introduced after 1974? I'm thinking 1976, making them a mere 34 years old.. To be honest the age of these units shouldn't matter - they've been plodding up and down the NLL/WLL for a number of years without too much grief, and are still the mainstay of the Great Northern suburbans. Just because they're older than most other stock doesn't mean they're automatically cr*p.

I do wonder why they didn't use the redundant 508's for these services, allowing the 313's to go where needed north of London on the 25kv overheads? Would this have not been a better use of available stock?

I think DfT wanted rid, FCC didn;t want them all, so Southern got some.

For Southern passengers who go used to the modern 377s the 313s with no aircon, toilets, information system seemed a huge step backwards and therefore crap :D

Had a peep from the 19.19 Brighton - Victoria service tonight and seemed to be a very similar interior to the London metro services with the high back seats but I could just make out armrests I think!

According to the drawings the seats are meant to have armrests. But who knows :)

Last edited:

Skimble19

Established Member
I must admit wondering myself why they didn't get all of the 507/8's that are stored at the moment instead of the 313s, might be due to the lower number of them (I'm unaware how many of each are stored, altho I don't think its that many). FCC could have done with a few more than 3 313's though..!

It doesn't matter how nice they look now. Six months on the coastway services will soon see them wrecked and stinking after people have p155ed in the gangway vestibules due to a lack of toilets.

Aictos

Established Member
Can't see a problem myself with lack of toilets, the GN passengers seem to manage with virtually no problems.

Indeed Southern's approach states:

Why don’t the Class 313 trains have toilets? The Class 313 trains did not have toilets when were used by London Overground and this type of train was not built or designed to have toilets on board. We know this may be inconvenient and frustrating for our passengers. We will make sure that we let passengers know that there are no toilets and provide information on where facilities are available at or close to our stations. Our research also shows that most passengers make short local journeys on this route.

So that being said, the only thing I would prefer they do with the 313s was put them on Metro workings, replacing the 456s so the 456s can go to SWT and leave the Coastway's passegers wonderful 377s exactly where they are.

thelem

According to the drawings the seats are meant to have armrests. But who knows :)

I've not been on one myself, but looking at them in the sidings from the BML it looks like they use the ironing board seats that Southern have on the 377s. These are used for 3+2 seating elsewhere, but the 313s have 2+2, so I'm not sure if they've got a slightly different variant, or if there is just a wide aisle.

They are not the same as the seats in the illustrations though, which look like a cross between the two types of seat on a 377. Leaflet is at http://www.southernrailway.com/your-journey/plan-my-journey/313s

Fincra5

Established Member
313s can't really go on metro workings, they aren't compatible with other metro stock. The 377s they replace are going to work in formations with other 377s. The lack of toilets isn't that bad really, they don't operate that far and as Ajax said customers on GN manage it, so do those on London Overgorund services.

I think the seats are similar to the 2+2 on the 377/4s, so not ironing boards but not the same as those on a /3.

I have found out that all 313s coming back from refurb are having the pantographs removed and the buttons to operate them being blanked off.

jon0844

Veteran Member

Take that back!!

They're quite exceptional trains, given their age. Plenty of life left in them it seems, especially with such a refurbishment.

I wonder how many modern trains will be getting a refurb like that after 34 years!

Last edited:

Fincra5

Established Member
The good thing is they sound like proper EMUs :) No cheeping :D

lm321412

It doesn't matter how nice they look now. Six months on the coastway services will soon see them wrecked and stinking after people have p155ed in the gangway vestibules due to a lack of toilets.

Cannot really see that happening somehow...

The journeys are hardly London - Aberdeen, they are local services which hardly justify a Toilet...

Suppose its society now. Trains MUST have toilets and Pushchairs MUST be let on trains, oh why bother!

thelem

I think the seats are similar to the 2+2 on the 377/4s, so not ironing boards but not the same as those on a /3.

No, they are ironing boards I'm afraid, although the photos in the publicity look like the other type of 377 seat. They do have arm rests though, I think they are the same as on a 442.

Status
Not open for further replies.