• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Future of Newhaven Marine and Harbour Stations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

_toommm_

Established Member
The engineering work overran by a bit this morning, finishing around half 8. It’s knocked about 3 hours of the morning service out with bus replacements being put on.

Bedpan

Established Member
Paddington Platform 13. And Euston 17 / 18. Blackfriars. I’m sure there’s more.

Closure of a terminal / bay platform in a station does trigger something called the ‘Minor Closure’ process.

Sorry to be off topic and so late asking the question, but what platform at Blackfriars has been closed? Or do you mean the old platforms 1, 2 and 3 in 2009?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Sorry to be off topic and so late asking the question, but what platform at Blackfriars has been closed? Or do you mean the old platforms 1, 2 and 3 in 2009?

Yes, the old bays. Previously 3, now 2.

trainmania100

Established Member
Some shots from today on some daily exercise.
Note the newhaven marine port access road bridge is now in place. Siding photo shows a level crossing in the distance but no sign of any loading buildings, could just be done by grabber

Attachments

• IMG_20200501_120032-1024x576.jpg
    IMG_20200501_120032-1024x576.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_20200501_120532-1024x576.jpg
    IMG_20200501_120532-1024x576.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 203

trainmania100

Established Member
Yes the bridge has been in place for a few weeks now. No idea whether or not the lockdown has stopped work but my original projection was for completion by early summer. Not so sure now.

Presume Newhaven Town box is still standing...?
Yep still standing, highways agency still haven't removed the March road closure signs

Plenty of workmen skill around the bridge and port area. Suprised there's none in my pics.
Guessing it won't be long until the dirt track round the back of the sidings will be closed, they've removed 1 of the 2 fences restricting access to the new public footpath into the east port industrial area...

Attachments

• IMG_20200501_120145.jpg
    IMG_20200501_120145.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 122

Meerkat

Established Member
Yep still standing, highways agency still haven't removed the March road closure signs

Plenty of workmen skill around the bridge and port area. Suprised there's none in my pics.
Guessing it won't be long until the dirt track round the back of the sidings will be closed, they've removed 1 of the 2 fences restricting access to the new public footpath into the east port industrial area...
That isn’t the widest shared use path in the world? Plenty of space there too - did they plan it as a path then redesignate it without redesigning it?

trainmania100

Established Member
That isn’t the widest shared use path in the world? Plenty of space there too - did they plan it as a path then redesignate it without redesigning it?
It is considerably smaller than the existing path. Where the current one goes around the perimeter of the port this one cuts straight through it. But to be honest it's size probably won't be a problem, if you follow the existing dirt track you'll really only see 2 or 3 people, It's not widely used in my view, as there's a car park at tide mills and is not really in an area of significance.
I do hope they make it look a bit more aesthetic though, maybe some shrubs either side of the footpath, and hopefully some decent shots of the marine freight when it's in the sidings

Grizz

Anyone got any idea if traffic flows are planned for the concrete blocks made at the plant? If so, what wagons are likely to be used?
Or has the Eastern Dock access road been built so that everything can be bought out by road? Totally don’t trust any motivation behind East Sussex County Council Highways‘ involvement in any rail project. They are desperate to duel carriage way the A26 out of Newhaven, what better justification.

what about wagons likely to be used for the dredged marine aggregates? HOA or IIA? Box wagons unlikely...
Maybe we could get the old ex RMC JGAs, that would be a blast from the past. Got memories of 14 loaded JGAs behind various fairly worn out Cromptons struggling up Hamsey bank. Often doing only 10mph by the time they reached Hamsey AHBC.

trainmania100

Established Member
Anyone got any idea if traffic flows are planned for the concrete blocks made at the plant? If so, what wagons are likely to be used?
Or has the Eastern Dock access road been built so that everything can be bought out by road? Totally don’t trust any motivation behind East Sussex County Council Highways‘ involvement in any rail project. They are desperate to duel carriage way the A26 out of Newhaven, what better justification.

what about wagons likely to be used for the dredged marine aggregates? HOA or IIA? Box wagons unlikely...
Maybe we could get the old ex RMC JGAs, that would be a blast from the past. Got memories of 14 loaded JGAs behind various fairly worn out Cromptons struggling up Hamsey bank. Often doing only 10mph by the time they reached Hamsey AHBC.

The plans at the below link (whilst somewhat low quality) it's possible to read that the full length of the sidings is marked as a loading area and I can't see any sheds on the plans with a loading hoppers thing where it drops down from above. Therefore I would assume that it's loaded into box wagons similarly to how the ash is loaded at Newhaven town yard.
Not sure on the length of HOA wagons but the diagram says one siding can hole 8x 14m wagon whilst the other can hold 5x 14m wagon.

I'd assume if loaded blocks were transported they may be similar to those used on the heck plasmoor service?

I went to see the progress at Newhaven marine the other day and whilst there are conveyors coming from the part where ships berth, none come anywhere near the loading sidings yet.

Please find my picture attached

One might argue there isn't a lot of room to load wagons at the sides of the sidings, perhaps it's just waiting game and see what developments occur over the next few months

Attachments

• IMG_20200501_120514.jpg
    IMG_20200501_120514.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 114

trainmania100

Established Member
i
HOAs are 50 feet LOB.
I coudn't see the link. is it me, or what?
Pat
Apologies, link below
An arrow points to something in the middle of the sidings, it's impossible to read as the diagram is too poor quality.

Dunfanaghy Rd

i
Apologies, link below
An arrow points to something in the middle of the sidings, it's impossible to read as the diagram is too poor quality.

I think the red arrow points to 'Network Rail Connection Point' as shown on the schematic lower down.
Pat

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
I have been advised (by a Nuttal personnel) that the public stone path that leads from the south side of Mill Creek to the beach (which runs between the new port access road and the aggregates terminal) will close at the end of the summer to allow Phase 2 of the road building to be completed. Given that the path that used to run alongside the railway on the north side of Mill Creek has been closed since works started and the fact that the bridge pillars look as though they obstruct this right of way, it looks like there will be no access to Tide Mills or the beach from the Newhaven end.

trainmania100

Established Member
I have been advised (by a Nuttal personnel) that the public stone path that leads from the south side of Mill Creek to the beach (which runs between the new port access road and the aggregates terminal) will close at the end of the summer to allow Phase 2 of the road building to be completed. Given that the path that used to run alongside the railway on the north side of Mill Creek has been closed since works started and the fact that the bridge pillars look as though they obstruct this right of way, it looks like there will be no access to Tide Mills or the beach from the Newhaven end.
Did they say anything about that new footpath directly ahead of that little bridge that crosses the creek opposite the water treatment works? I recon if that's a public footpath, that could take people to the beach and then walk along to tide mills from Newhaven? Perhaps straight down and across the new marine level crossing in the aggregate terminal, to the beach past the Rampion headquarters etc I could be wrong,

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
No he didn't mention anything about a new footpath. It would be a good idea, and offer opportunities for photographing locos etc, but the cynic in me feels the aggregates terminal won't want a public right of way cut right through the middle...

I'm assuming the level crossing in your picture above is for the benefit of the Brett lorries

I too, could be wrong...

philthetube

Established Member
The council should be able to tell you af any closure plans, also a notice of closure would have to be posted at each end of the footpath, with diversions.

trainmania100

Established Member
6O25 STP path gone in for Tuesday and Thursday next week, don't be fooled though as I think this is only running as far as town yard day aggregates, the marine sidings haven't even been tamped.
Presumably the 1438 VAR off Acton.

Grizz

6O25 STP path gone in for Tuesday and Thursday next week, don't be fooled though as I think this is only running as far as town yard day aggregates, the marine sidings haven't even been tamped.
Presumably the 1438 VAR off Acton.

Looks like you were Spot On Right. 14:38 ex Acton with a ‘reported’ 66024 in charge, running 50 Late dept ex Acton . Even though it is ex Acton T.C., it is showing On Rail Record as a Brentford To Newhaven, so it is probably that Ratty old Rake of ex TML KEAs. Still never mind worth checking out for a few photos.

Hopefully on Thursday DB will run the 03:42 and the 14:38 ex Acton....but I suspect not. More than one freight a day to Newhaven is probably being far too optimistic. : )

trainmania100

Established Member
Looks like you were Spot On Right. 14:38 ex Acton with a ‘reported’ 66024 in charge, running 50 Late dept ex Acton . Even though it is ex Acton T.C., it is showing On Rail Record as a Brentford To Newhaven, so it is probably that Ratty old Rake of ex TML KEAs. Still never mind worth checking out for a few photos.

Hopefully on Thursday DB will run the 03:42 and the 14:38 ex Acton....but I suspect not. More than one freight a day to Newhaven is probably being far too optimistic. : )
66024 was the loco from Calvert to Acton but I was watching Open Train times and the Newhaven train appeared in a different berth to the one from Calvert, so I'd recommend taking 66024 with a pinch of salt.

You're correct about the Brentford/Newhaven thing, it's probably extra ash from the incinerator, so given that there's a Thursday path from Newhaven when it usually runs Thursdays anyway, I'd definitely expect 2 trains to run Thursday (unless the AM is cancelled), not sure how many rakes of KEAs there are but I wouldn't mind seeing some "unusual" wagons on it one day.
I remember seeing monster MBA boxes once, haven't seen them in years now.

Going to see today's run at town yard foot crossing, shouldn't go to marine as I don't think the sidings are ready but I want to be ready just in case...Shame it's 30L as it collides with my dinner,

Positively I've noticed some new WTT paths going in for marine recently, namely the ones from/To Crawley, but there's also an evening one to Neasden Engrs Sdgs too

Last edited:

Grizz

66024 was the loco from Calvert to Acton but I was watching Open Train times and the Newhaven train appeared in a different berth to the one from Calvert, so I'd recommend taking 66024 with a pinch of salt.

You're correct about the Brentford/Newhaven thing, it's probably extra ash from the incinerator, so given that there's a Thursday path from Newhaven when it usually runs Thursdays anyway, I'd definitely expect 2 trains to run Thursday (unless the AM is cancelled), not sure how many rakes of KEAs there are but I wouldn't mind seeing some "unusual" wagons on it one day.
I remember seeing monster MBA boxes once, haven't seen them in years now.

Going to see today's run at town yard foot crossing, shouldn't go to marine as I don't think the sidings are ready but I want to be ready just in case...Shame it's 30L as it collides with my dinner,

Positively I've noticed some new WTT paths going in for marine recently, namely the ones from/To Crawley, but there's also an evening one to Neasden Engrs Sdgs too

Too much to hope for a 60 on it tonight I suspect.

Yeah I remember the MBAs coming down. Do you remember when they first ran the ash trains, before the yard was sorted out, they used to Go into the Marine, then run round. In the early days they used MEAs and took a possession on the main line around the train.

It has picked up a few minutes on route but it is now going to be squeezed between the two DN Londons from Keymer Junction to Lewes. Maybe held for a few minutes at Balcombe Tunnel Juction to let 1F42 pass.

trainmania100

Established Member
Too much to hope for a 60 on it tonight I suspect.

Yeah I remember the MBAs coming down. Do you remember when they first ran the ash trains, before the yard was sorted out, they used to Go into the Marine, then run round. In the early days they used MEAs and took a possession on the main line around the train.

It has picked up a few minutes on route but it is now going to be squeezed between the two DN Londons from Keymer Junction to Lewes. Maybe held for a few minutes at Balcombe Tunnel Juction to let 1F42 pass.
I think 60s are banned according to the route sectional appendix, but things could have changed since then. Wish I'd saw the colas 70 which ran a few years back.

Correction on the 6O24 allox , it's 66105 not 66024. Corrected it on the link.

Grizz

I think 60s are banned according to the route sectional appendix, but things could have changed since then. Wish I'd saw the colas 70 which ran a few years back.

Correction on the 6O24 allox , it's 66105 not 66024. Corrected it on the link.

Cheers Chap. Am off to CBR and the new extended UP platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.