• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GBRF livery for 2 Class 50s (50007 50049)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Us youngsters are unfortunate enough to have missed the late days of steam and the diesel era of BR and of course loco hauled trains. We are growing up with pacers, 150's so it is good to see some older locos which I and many other unfortunately missed. Wish I had been born 20 years earlier :'(:'(

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

xotGD

Established Member
Us youngsters are unfortunate enough to have missed the late days of steam and the diesel era of BR and of course loco hauled trains. We are growing up with pacers, 150's so it is good to see some older locos which I and many other unfortunately missed. Wish I had been born 20 years earlier :'(:'(
We all wish we'd been bashing 10 years earlier, whatever age we are...

sprinterguy

Established Member
Though look on the bright side; we're all living in the Indian summer of push-pull working: The promise of half-hourly push-pull services worked by powerful modern diesel locomotives with traditional names over the heavily graded Transpennine North route, nearly thirty years since loco-hauled workings were withdrawn from the route; the final days in squadron service of class 91s and mark 4s on the East Coast and class 90s and mark 3s in Anglia, and the last chance to experience slam door, droplight HSTs in widespread service across the UK. Plus pockets of loco-hauled operation on the Cumbrian Coast, on Welsh regional services and out of Norwich.

While I'd love to be bashing class 40s off Sheffield or jumping on behind Deltics from York after six pints of bitter I've got the East Lancs Railway nearby for that sort of thing, and give it ten years and it'll be recognised that we're living in halcyon days.

Though look on the bright side; we're all living in the Indian summer of push-pull working: The promise of half-hourly push-pull services worked by powerful modern diesel locomotives with traditional names over the heavily graded Transpennine North route, nearly thirty years since loco-hauled workings were withdrawn from the route; the final days in squadron service of class 91s and mark 4s on the East Coast and class 90s and mark 3s in Anglia, and the last chance to experience slam door, droplight HSTs in widespread service across the UK. Plus pockets of loco-hauled operation on the Cumbrian Coast, on Welsh regional services and out of Norwich.

While I'd love to be bashing class 40s off Sheffield or jumping on behind Deltics from York after six pints of bitter I've got the East Lancs Railway nearby for that sort of thing, and give it ten years and it'll be recognised that we're living in halcyon days.

We don't have any push pull stuff down here, just 150's, HST and 800's and how very boring it is. If we are lucky we may get a 66 or a steam loco on a Saturday.

sprinterguy

Established Member
We don't have any push pull stuff down here, just 150's, HST and 800's and how very boring it is. If we are lucky we may get a 66 or a steam loco on a Saturday.
Aye, I suppose it's slim pickings in the South West region these days; an area once renowned for class 50 workings!

Aye, I suppose it's slim pickings in the South West region these days; an area once renowned for class 50 workings!

Hopefully the UK will return to LHCS as it is just better for regional and long distance services. Fingers crossed for a very long time.

D365

Veteran Member
It could also run around with a pretend number like 89014 - creating a 'might have been' image of a whole fleet of 'em running on the ECML.

I'd be happy with that - my lucky number.

(14 that is)

SouthernRail

I'm thinking of trying to see it from the train past it on Sunday.. Oh wait I can't because of engineering works... :rolleyes: Edit: Will it go light engine to Paddington or wherever is starts and it mentions a test run? Will that be early in the morning on during the day?

Harbornite

Established Member
It's not too bad at all (but I hope they leave MY paintwork alone!). What I have found questionable, though, is badging a loco with the name+number of another (withdrawn) loco: these two 50s are an example, running last year with Neptune and Centurion names+numbers on one side. Even worse was seeing my old friend 55022 Royal Scots Grey named+numbered as Ballymoss. Is there really a point to that?

Why does it matter? Let the owners call them whatever they want.

Harbornite

Established Member
Points taken, and I'm sorry to have made you angry. But let's not forget the youngsters who weren't even born when these magnificent locos were doing their thing. To paraphrase you, are they not allowed to be photographed beside RSG? That loco has a particular relevance in my family, and my nephews were so disappointed when I took them to the SVR diesel gala to see her but they saw 'Ballymoss' instead, who means nothing to them. We could argue both ways!

Posts like this are the reason why trainspotting gets a bad press!

D365

Veteran Member
Even worse was seeing my old friend 55022 Royal Scots Grey named+numbered as Ballymoss. Is there really a point to that?

I drove it when it had assumed the identity of Pinza. Didn't make a difference in the slightest to my experience.

SouthernRail

I wish I could have been there when they were operational... but I only started liking trains when I was 10, which was only a year ago now.

alexl92

Established Member
I did read it but the information is very vague and I don't understand why they're repainting the engines from their heritage colours that would make sense for heritage railway events and railtours to a more working orientated livery that's less suited to it hence I was assuming they must have something else in mind in addition those tasks for them. Particularly when their other locomotives that are used for passenger services like the Caledonian Sleeper 73's or the Belmond 66's are painted in a suitable livery hence I was wondering if they had more in mind for the 50's.

I'm also curious how they did their mock ups, I hadn't realised the ones at the top were the official images from GBRF which I now see they are as they look like a model class 50 that someone has used MS paint to put the different livery onto.

John

I agree - the description of work doesn’t seem to justify putting them into full GBRf livery, but if they’re happy to pay...

Re: the images, someone has taken the side profile view from Hornby’s website/promotional and photoshopped the livery onto it, so you’re pretty much spot on there!

J-Rod

I wish I could have been there when they were operational... but I only started liking trains when I was 10, which was only a year ago now.

so do I... and I'm now 35! Unfortunately, I grew up in a place they hardly ever went... sad times (in that respect)...

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I was hoping to see them climb the bank up to Exeter Central, an everyday sight and sound for me in the 1980s. I even had a couple of cab rides up there in my youth.
To be in the cab of a Large Logo class 50 as it pounded through the tunnel with the noise reverberating through the cab are some of my favourite ever railway memories.
Unfortunately it looks like I may be away that weekend now though.
Hopefully it'll happen again one day. I reckon the platforms at Central and Queen Street bridge will be pretty busy with people recording an event that hasn't happened for a couple of decades now.

DelW

Established Member
I think developments like this are great, and I'd love to see one of these locos in its new livery. Having been slightly involved in diesel preservation since the late 1970s, I remember when preservation groups were treated with some disdain by many on the mainline railway (though not all). Since those days, the work done by e.g. the Deltic, AC, and cl50 groups has blurred the distinction and brought classic traction classes back to the main line where they're seen at their best. Anything like this, that allows that to continue is worthwhile for me. FWIW, I thought the original cl50 rail blue livery made them look rather boring, later liveries were much better as is the intended GBRF.

As for renaming locos to portray other members of the class, it's not a new phenomenon, remember the Big 4 were quite capable of doing it with steam locos, often for publicity purposes, and some kept the "wrong" identity throughout the rest of their careers. (That's apart from the swapping of parts during overhauls, meaning that by the end of their lives many steam locos included lots of parts which had started life on other members of the class. There's little ideological purity in these matters.)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think developments like this are great, and I'd love to see one of these locos in its new livery. Having been slightly involved in diesel preservation since the late 1970s, I remember when preservation groups were treated with some disdain by many on the mainline railway (though not all). Since those days, the work done by e.g. the Deltic, AC, and cl50 groups has blurred the distinction and brought classic traction classes back to the main line where they're seen at their best. Anything like this, that allows that to continue is worthwhile for me. FWIW, I thought the original cl50 rail blue livery made them look rather boring, later liveries were much better as is the intended GBRF.

As for renaming locos to portray other members of the class, it's not a new phenomenon, remember the Big 4 were quite capable of doing it with steam locos, often for publicity purposes, and some kept the "wrong" identity throughout the rest of their careers. (That's apart from the swapping of parts during overhauls, meaning that by the end of their lives many steam locos included lots of parts which had started life on other members of the class. There's little ideological purity in these matters.)
Well put DelW.

DelW

Established Member
Well put DelW.
Thank you, sir :)

It does occur to me that I might have felt differently if these had been the only class 50s preserved, but fortunately there are enough surviving to be able to demonstrate a good variety of liveries!

We all wish we'd been bashing 10 years earlier, whatever age we are...

I agree with that 100% there will ALLWAYS be something you should have done/gone too etc etc, we all must live in the present no matter how much better things seemed to be back in the day, but remember we didn't have mobile phones let alone smart phones so finding out what was on what usually involved going down the station to find out yourself, and then it was usually a Bath Rd EH heap

Spartacus

Established Member
Get 'em on RHTTs in the autumn, nobody'll be able to tell what livery they're in after a week or two! :D:D

I agree with that 100% there will ALLWAYS be something you should have done/gone too etc etc, we all must live in the present no matter how much better things seemed to be back in the day, but remember we didn't have mobile phones let alone smart phones so finding out what was on what usually involved going down the station to find out yourself, and then it was usually a Bath Rd EH heap

I would happily sacrifice my PC, Smartphone, Xbox and all other modern devices to of been born in 1975 and not 2001.

JohnMcL7

I recently went to Inverness station to see 37403 which was visiting as part of a railtour, I was quite excited to see it pulling up at the station yet at the same time it was a little sad to think I'd been too young to appreciate when the station would have been full of similar engines. Nowadays it's mostly 158's and 170's with the sleeper 67 the only glimpse of a proper locomotive.

Then again I think it's very easy to forget what technology brings us, I'd gone to the station to see the 37 pulling up and there was absolutely no sign of it with the 67 sitting at the designated platform and its rake of sleepers. I posted on a 37 group and someone referred me to another 37 group and managed to get in touch with a passenger on the train who told me the train was having mechanical problems and currently not moving. They kept me updated about when it did get moving and what progress it was making so I headed up to the local viaduct with the drone (which was kept a large distance from the railway) and was able to watch the 37 roaring across the viaduct then went to see it at the station. Afterwards I was able to keep up to date with it to find it was going to be stuck in Inverness and then how it eventually had made its way home.

I enjoy reading this forum for all the updates on the different trains across the UK particularly as often people are able to show pictures and videos of what they're discussing. For this topic in particular I look forward to seeing pictures of the repainted 50's in action when that's done and news about what they're up to.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I recently went to Inverness station to see 37403 which was visiting as part of a railtour, I was quite excited to see it pulling up at the station yet at the same time it was a little sad to think I'd been too young to appreciate when the station would have been full of similar engines. Nowadays it's mostly 158's and 170's with the sleeper 67 the only glimpse of a proper locomotive.

Then again I think it's very easy to forget what technology brings us, I'd gone to the station to see the 37 pulling up and there was absolutely no sign of it with the 67 sitting at the designated platform and its rake of sleepers. I posted on a 37 group and someone referred me to another 37 group and managed to get in touch with a passenger on the train who told me the train was having mechanical problems and currently not moving. They kept me updated about when it did get moving and what progress it was making so I headed up to the local viaduct with the drone (which was kept a large distance from the railway) and was able to watch the 37 roaring across the viaduct then went to see it at the station. Afterwards I was able to keep up to date with it to find it was going to be stuck in Inverness and then how it eventually had made its way home.

I enjoy reading this forum for all the updates on the different trains across the UK particularly as often people are able to show pictures and videos of what they're discussing. For this topic in particular I look forward to seeing pictures of the repainted 50's in action when that's done and news about what they're up to.
Actually it is amazing to be able to follow what's happening so easily these days.
There may not be as much stuff around that I find interesting, but at least what there is can be easily tracked down (to the minute in fact).

xotGD

Established Member
Actually it is amazing to be able to follow what's happening so easily these days.
There may not be as much stuff around that I find interesting, but at least what there is can be easily tracked down (to the minute in fact).
On the flip side, knowing about everything in advance takes away the interest of something totally unexpected turning up.

Pros and cons of modern technology.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
On the flip side, knowing about everything in advance takes away the interest of something totally unexpected turning up.

Pros and cons of modern technology.
I still get a bit of the old jeopardy when a 37 goes storming past us on a test train unexpectedly.
I've been known to jump off the sofa, fling open the door and say to anyone around "Listen to that! Listen to it!!"
They mostly humour me these days...

Townsend Hook

I still get a bit of the old jeopardy when a 37 goes storming past us on a test train unexpectedly.
I've been known to jump off the sofa, fling open the door and say to anyone around "Listen to that! Listen to it!!"
They mostly humour me these days...

It gets old, when you’re sat on the test train and just want it to hurry up and get you to Derby so you can go home.

Either way you look at, anyone born after 1980 has well and truly missed out. I mean you don't get this anymore do you?

Status
Not open for further replies.