• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GBRF Stockport/Manchester trainees

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LRV3004

Any body got any real idea of when any of us would potentially start the training? Or are we in a sort of standby situation? Presuming we all make it of course!!
I have asked HR the question as to a possible start date subject to passing the medical so that I can give my current employers as much notice as possible. No response yet!

Superfluke3000

Hi guys, does anyone have an email address and phone number for the GB Freight rail HR dealing with the Stockport trainee driver roles? Thanks

AshDee

I unfortunately failed the WAFV test yesterday
I know I clicked trice when I shouldn’t have had an overzealous trigger finger... I was so aware that I’d done it .. not sure if speed of clicking when the square changes colour too counts but I didn’t miss any ... it’s just not meant to be for me I suppose, so that’s it for me .. good luck to everyone with their training etc ...

LRV3004

I unfortunately failed the WAFV test yesterday
I know I clicked trice when I shouldn’t have had an overzealous trigger finger... I was so aware that I’d done it .. not sure if speed of clicking when the square changes colour too counts but I didn’t miss any ... it’s just not meant to be for me I suppose, so that’s it for me .. good luck to everyone with their training etc ...
Sorry to hear this, hope you'll get to have another crack at it in the future!

Tug 62

Your applications might be speeded up after Mr Smith's latest rant. DB Cargo stepped in last night at the request of Cemex to provide a hopper service to Hope Street.

Class385

Your applications might be speeded up after Mr Smith's latest rant. DB Cargo stepped in last night at the request of Cemex to provide a hopper service to Hope Street.
Anymore information regarding this? Can't see anything online. Thanks

Tug 62

Anymore information regarding this? Can't see anything online. Thanks
Cemex have asked DBC to cover another 6 trains next week, while GB sort out some more wagons. These are all extra trains, all current contracts remain the same.

Last edited:

Tug 62

Cemex originally asked for 11 trains to be covered, DBC only accepted the night Hope Street, the Ely might follow but that would be instead of the night Hope Street. Business is booming in the Peak District all the FOCs will be recruiting.

Last edited:

YingYing

I was told they are recruiting for a potential HS2 contract, and the reason they've asked for people in the Stockport/South Manchester area is that you're in a sort of golden triangle with Dove Holes, Crewe and I think Trafford Park all within travelling time.

LRV3004

I was told they are recruiting for a potential HS2 contract, and the reason they've asked for people in the Stockport/South Manchester area is that you're in a sort of golden triangle with Dove Holes, Crewe and I think Trafford Park all within travelling time.
Was told pretty much the same at my interview!

Claire-r

Have had medical, all OK for now, just need to await further news!
Hi I have my interview this Friday in London to be placed up in Stockport. I’m very nervous and just wanted to know what questions they are likely to ask. They wanted me to have interview last week but I said too short notice so they booked me in this week. So hopefully see you guys soon on the training. Speaking of training, how long is it for?

Kevlar

The questions were pretty standard competency ones mainly covering the qualities required to become a driver, such as trainability, working alone ect. Training is about a year with 4 months classroom based in Peterborough.

YingYing

The job is still advertised on their website ? is this a rolling recruitment ?
Yes and no, they're creating a talent pool in readiness for a potential HS2 contract, so I imagine they'll select the best people from that, when ready?

In answer to the person who asked about training, from the notes I took, it's about 6 months training, with a combination of the classroom, simulator, and driving under instruction elements.

Claire-r

The questions were pretty standard competency ones mainly covering the qualities required to become a driver, such as trainability, working alone ect. Training is about a year with 4 months classroom based in Peterborough.
Thanks for your reply. You say classroom training is for 4 months am I right in saying because I’m sure I read it somewhere on here they pay for you to stay in a hotel and home weekends or am I wrong

LRV3004

I
Thanks for your reply. You say classroom training is for 4 months am I right in saying because I’m sure I read it somewhere on here they pay for you to stay in a hotel and home weekends or am I wrong
I had a similar situation when I started at my current place. We lodged in a hotel in Carlisle, finished earlier on Fridays, then headed back to Carlisle for training on Monday.

LRV3004

Hi I have my interview this Friday in London to be placed up in Stockport. I’m very nervous and just wanted to know what questions they are likely to ask. They wanted me to have interview last week but I said too short notice so they booked me in this week. So hopefully see you guys soon on the training. Speaking of training, how long is it for?
How did your interview go?

Claire-r

How did your interview go?
I think it went well but not heard anything yet but fingers crossed. In fact it lasted almost 2 hours. Looking forward to starting and ready to start training. I shall be positive but will not get my hopes up. Will keep you posted once I hear anything

LRV3004

I think it went well but not heard anything yet but fingers crossed. In fact it lasted almost 2 hours. Looking forward to starting and ready to start training. I shall be positive but will not get my hopes up. Will keep you posted once I hear anything
I was in my interview for an hour and a half so sounds like you've done well! I've had my medical and am just awaiting the results of that, then hopefully a start date, whenever that may be!

Dr. Pepper

I've read conflicting things but it still appears there's no agreed contract yet between hs2 and gbrf. It's a talent pool for the foreseeable. God knows what this virus is doing to recruitment. I work at the airport and might be out of a job tomorrow with no planes in the air I just don't know.

Claire-r

I've read conflicting things but it still appears there's no agreed contract yet between hs2 and gbrf. It's a talent pool for the foreseeable. God knows what this virus is doing to recruitment. I work at the airport and might be out of a job tomorrow with no planes in the air I just don't know.
Yes it is a talent pool but choosing their potential successful candidates carefully and on standby. They could train either end of the month, maybe 6 months or could be a year down the line. But once GBRF get the go ahead I’m sure it would happen very quickly. Be ready

Dr. Pepper

Yes it is a talent pool but choosing their potential successful candidates carefully and on standby. They could train either end of the month, maybe 6 months or could be a year down the line. But once GBRF get the go ahead I’m sure it would happen very quickly. Be ready
Oh I'm ready!! I believe there's training starting at the beginning of April but our group is looking at summer, if they get a training scheme authorised for then that is. But yeah it's a waiting game, hopefully not too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.