• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nighthawke

All correct. Manchester, Lincoln and York.
Not sure who takes on the next one with a three-way split:s

fowler9

Established Member
Ha ha. I'm happy to let someone else set a question as I don't have one at the mo. Also I meant Avro not Arvo, makes it sound like a time of day in Australia.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Okay, go on then .... here's a few more "On This Day" (9th January) questions:

1. Who introduced Income Tax?
2. The name of the singer born in Rochdale in 1898?
3. The activity outlawed by the State of New York in 1902?
4. The name o f the former ocean liner that sank after catching fire?

Best of luck!

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Okay, go on then .... here's a few more "On This Day" (9th January) questions:

1. Who introduced Income Tax?
2. The name of the singer born in Rochdale in 1898?
3. The activity outlawed by the State of New York in 1902?
4. The name o f the former ocean liner that sank after catching fire?

Best of luck!
1) Pitt the Younger

2 Gracie Fields

3 Flirting whilst drunk

4 Queen Elizabeth

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
1) Pitt the Younger
2 Gracie Fields
3 Flirting whilst drunk
4 Queen Elizabeth

Blimey, that's quick, well done .... have you read the Western Mail this morning as well?

Actually, you're only 95% correct, as the version I have for No. 3 is just "Flirting" with no distinction about the sobriety (or not) of the person(s) concerned - but I'll let you off!

Your calendar, sir!

steevp

It has been 2 weeks - any chance of knowing the answer please (or hearing that one of the suggestions is correct). If open floor is declared I have a question ready :)

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I can't remember exactly where I read about it, but would these "funerals" be rehearsals for when the queen eventually shuffles off?

Trackman

Established Member
An interesting suggestion. Starbug is one of Red Dwarf's support spacecraft, and a hacker by the name of Starbug is known for bypassing iPhone touch sensor security (so I just learned). But I don't know of any significant connection between a "starbug" and Windows.

I have a different answer on my card...

I was a pure guess! (computers - bugs) I didn't know about the hacker Starbug either

krus_aragon

Established Member
No series nine.
That's the one. The iPhone went straight from the iPhone 8 to the iPhone X, Windows went from 8.1 to 10*, and the miniseries Red Dwarf: Back to Earth effectively replaced Series 9.

*There's a technical reason for this: lots of software installers checked if they were running on old Windows 95 or 98 by checking if the version started with "Windows 9...", and would complain that it wasn't compatible.

Your floor, Strat-tastic.

steevp

I did hear some weirdness regarding people wanting to attend their own funeral.
So what they do is hold their own funeral, before they have actually died.
Coincidentally there was an item on the Jeremy Vine show today on Radio 2 about people who hold their own funeral before their own death - so I guess that might indeed be the answer

krus_aragon

Established Member
Hm, there might be a few of these.

For one, Red Dwarf and Star Trek: Voyager are both based on a crew making a long journey to get home, and the adventures they have along the way.

For another, Terry Farrell was cast to play Cat in the US version, but when it was cancelled she went on to play Dax in Deep Space 9 instead.

Strat-tastic

Established Member
For another, Terry Farrell was cast to play Cat in the US version, but when it was cancelled she went on to play Dax in Deep Space 9 instead.

That's what I was looking for, although the other one fits the bill too. Either way, the floor's yours. Just watch out for the Skutters ;)

and Kryten's mop...