• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Genuine terminal stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aictos

Established Member
That is, stations that were built as terminals and still fulfill only that function. For example Ilkley doesn't count because the line used to go through. Manchester Piccadilly doesn't count because it has had through platforms added. Bradford Interchange doesn't count because almost nothing terminates there.

Gunnislake
Barnstaple

When you say Gunnislake, do you mean the 1966 relocated station which was built as a terminus as the original station was a though station as the original terminus of the Tamar Line was at Callington.

Should Barnstaple be included as the line originally used to continue to Ilfracombe or Instow and Bideford - in fact until 1970 it was called Barnstaple Junction at which time, due to cuts it referred back to just Barnstaple.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
How about
Rhymney
Merthyr Tydfill
Tregadar
Glasgow Queen Street
Glasgow Central
Oban
Wick
Lymington Pier
Bournemouth
Pwhelli
Liverpool Lime Street
do new stations such as Ebbw Vale Parkway count? It may not be a new line, but it's been a terminus since it was built.

Merseyrail services to Chester and Birkenhead.

How about Kirkby?

almark

Can't be bothered reading through but here are some i have thought about.

Eastbourne
Bognor Regis
Pwlhelli
Portsmouth Harbour
Swanage
Weymouth
Minehead
Kingswear
Windermere
Penzance
Thurso
Wick
Kyle of Localsh
Mallaig
Oban
Stranraer Harbour
Cleethorpes
Scarborough (not Longsboro' road excursion platform)
Folkestone Harbour
Weymouth Quay
Holyhead

Loads more,i know.

Cheers,
Mark

Established Member
Can't remember if I mentioned but Airport, South Shields, St James and South Hylton count.

D6975

Established Member
Glasgow Queen St is a dubious one too. Some WHL services used to start/terminate in Edinburgh, reversing at Queen St. Not sure if they still do this, I'll have to look it up. I think it was Summer timetable only though, so it might be a bit awkward to check.

Last edited:

Capybara

Sorry, but Blackpool South was a through station until Blackpool Central was closed.

Zamracene749

Can't remember if I mentioned but Airport, South Shields, St James and South Hylton count.

Airport and St james definately, but at South Hylton the original line used to continue west and met up with the Leamside line near just south of the victoria bridge at Penshaw. If only it still did, with journeys to Durham possible- where's that time machine :)

South Shields station was just north of the metro station (twas one of the few in the NE with one of those lovely tiled network maps).

I'm open to corrections here, but I think the current platform at Saltburn is the 3rd incarnation- the rails apparently used to continue on to a private? platform that served the large hotel on the cliff directly!

Established Member
I was hoping someone would pick up on that! However I have an ace up my sleeve - Airport, South Shields, South Hylton and St James were all built as terminal stations - a Metro has never run past them (apart from ECS). So technically they do count.

However quite correct, South Shields station used to be across the bridge, and South Hylton did continue as well. Even Airport used to continue to Ponteland.

Also quite correct about Saltburn - think it went to the Zetland Hotel which had its own private platform - somehow didn't remember this before.

me123

Established Member
Glasgow Queen St is a dubious one too. Some WHL services used to start/terminate in Edinburgh, reversing at Queen St. Not sure if they still do this, I'll have to look it up. I think it was Summer timetable only though, so it might be a bit awkward to check.

No reversals at Queen Street at the moment. But I would imagine the low level platforms cross this one out anyway.

Going through Scotland, I come up with:
  • Stranraer Harbour
  • Ardrossan Harbour
  • Largs
  • Wemyss Bay
  • Gourock
  • Larkhall
  • Lanark
  • Milngavie
  • Balloch
  • Helensburgh Central
  • Drumgelloch (only for a few more months, though! This was a Drumgelloch station on the old line; but I think it was relocated on reopening in 1989, so the current Drumgelloch was a new build in 1989)
  • Bathgate (again, only for a few more months before it closes! The old line does not exclude this, because Bathgate station was a new branch line in a new location)
  • North Berwick
  • Newcraighall (until the Borders link opens)
  • Alloa (Old services called at an Alloa station, but that was a different site)
  • Oban
  • Mallaig
  • Kyle of Lochalsh
  • Wick (but not Thurso, due to reversals) (It may have been the other way around on occasion).

You could also claim Glasgow Central High Level, as the Low Level station is actually operated by Scotrail. Although it's a bit of a dubious one.

I think that's it for Caledonia.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Nobody said Hull Yet?

Don't know the area too well, but from what I remember of Simsig (Sheffield) I thought there were some reversals (?) for Sheffield-Bridlington services?

Last edited:

Established Member
Aye there are some Brid - Shef services, and I'm sure either one from York to either Brid or Beverley.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Cleethorpes hasn't always been a terminus, the line used to carry on.

I was actually going to say Hull myself. To be honest, I feel including the Sheffield-Bridlington services is a bit tenuous. Hull was built as a terminus station and by most accounts it still is.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Looking at C J Wignall's Complete British Railways Maps & Gazetteer, I would say that Cleethorpes was always a terminus.

Having just consulted some historic maps myself I'd have to agree with you! Seems the onward route towards Mablethorpe branched off between Grimsby Docks and Grimsby Town, apologies for the error.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
[*]Alloa (Old services called at an Alloa station, but that was a different site)

But although the platform is on a siding, there is still a through-line to Longannet (and then onto connections to the Forth Rail bridge)- I belive railtours have even used this line?

I'd count out both Glasgow Central and Queen Street for the low levels, and St Pancras for Thameslink. Kings Cross and Waterloo formerly had through services, as said.

Stoking the debates- do London underground lines count? If so, most of the London mainline terminals are out (except Marylebone and Fenchurch Street), but the following are in:
Hammersmith (H&C line) - totally seperate to the District line station
Stanmore (Jubilee)
Chesham (Met)
Watford (Met) - though this was planned as a through station
Edgeware (Northern) - again, supposed to be a through station, but extension canned
High Barnet (Northern)
Morden (Northern) though with through-access to Depot.
Cockfosters (Pic)
Uxbridge (Met and Pic)
Heathrow Terminal 5 (Pic and HEX) - though not if further developments happen
Brixton (Vic, quite seperate from the mainline station)
Tower Gateway (DLR)
Beckton (DLR)

Last edited:

Capybara

The original criteria were:

'stations that were built as terminals and still fulfill only that function.'

That rules out Edgware as it was built with extension in mind and Watford for the same reason. Similarly Heathrow Terminal 5. Elsewhere, Marylebone has the Bakerloo Line running through it so shouldn't be on the list.

me123

Established Member
But although the platform is on a siding, there is still a through-line to Longannet (and then onto connections to the Forth Rail bridge)- I belive railtours have even used this line?

A few railtours have been down the full length of the line.

The station itself is still a terminus, however, and has been built solely for that purpose. Whilst there have been suggestions about potentially extending the service in the years to come, it's worthwhile remembering that the station was clearly not built for that purpose as it's currently impossible to call at Alloa then continue to Dunfermline without reversing!

Z12XE

Sudbury.

Station 3 which is there now has always been a terminal (despite 156422s best efforts in Jan 2006...) and the original 1849 station was also a terminal.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
The original criteria were:

'stations that were built as terminals and still fulfill only that function.'

That rules out Edgware as it was built with extension in mind and Watford for the same reason. Similarly Heathrow Terminal 5. Elsewhere, Marylebone has the Bakerloo Line running through it so shouldn't be on the list.

Good points- scratch Beckton (DLR) off the list- but maybe add Heathrow Terminal 4- not a conventional Terminus I'll grant, but a Balloon Loop terminus nonetheless?

4SRKT

Established Member
As the OP, I say that LUL lines don't count unless they actually pass through platforms in the main body of the station, as at Paddington. Marylebone therefore does count as a true terminus.
Good points- scratch Beckton (DLR) off the list- but maybe add Heathrow Terminal 4- not a conventional Terminus I'll grant, but a Balloon Loop terminus nonetheless?

I'd say that Heathrow TW isn't a terminus. Neither is Dungeness for the same reason.
I believe I missed out my usually Irish thing I do in railway quizzes, so here goes:

Bangor
Larne Harbour
Portrush
Londonderry Waterside
Howth
Dublin Heuston
Sligo
Rosslare Europort
Cobh
Limerick
Galway

Last edited:

SteamontheMet

Liverpool Lime Street.

New Brighton

West Kirby

Chessington South

Caterham

Epson Downs

Tattenham Corner

Bromely North

Hayes (Southern Region)

Enfield Town

Chingford

Hampton Court

Heathrow Airport Terminal 4 Heathrow Connect Services.

If its only the UK then the above is what I know but Internationally I could name you a few

MCR247

Established Member
Liverpool Lime Street isn't

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.