• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Genuine terminal stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anvil1984

Established Member
Hulls not a terminus by the rules of this thing on page 1 (sorry if they've changed since) as it has Scarborough - Sheffield services

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
And those Sheffield - Scarborough services have to reverse in order to get out of Hull, I would class Hull as a Terminal station.

Bedpan

Established Member
1)Braintree
2)Sudbury (Suffolk)
3)Weymouth
4)Okehampton
5)Gunnislake
6)Barnstaple
7)Pembroke
8)Colne
9)Matlock
10)Corby
11)Alton
12)Uckfield
13)East Grinstead
14)Shanklin

Will not start on the countless Suburban London termini... Shepperto, Chessington South etc..

Crikey, all these are wrong!!

1)Through station on Witham - Bishops Stortford branch.
2)Through station on Marks Tey - Cambridge branch
3)Arguably continues along the tramway to Weymouth Quay although I'm not sure if there has been a platform where the tramway runs alongside the main station.
4)Line continued across Meldon Viaduct and eventually branched to all of the Cornish LSWR destinations as well as Plymouth.
5)Branch was originally Bere Alston to Callington before closure of section west of Gunnislake.
6) Barnstaple Town was on teh branch from Barnstaple Junction to Ilfracombe. Theer was also a GWR station in Barnstaple (on a branch from Taunton) which was a terminus but that is not eligible as it closed long ago
7)Continues to Pembroke Dock which is a separate locality to Pembroke itself.
8)Through station on line from Skipton to Burnley
9)Through station of Midland main line from London - Manchester (now Peak Rail to the north of the station.
10)Continues (to Manton Junction where it joins the Pe3terborough - Leicester route.
11)Continued west to Winchester on what is now Mid Hants Railway.
12)Continued south to Lewes
13) Continued south from East Grinstead towards Lewes on what is now the Bluebell Railway
14) Through station on Ryde-Ventnor line

MCR247

Established Member
Weymouth is a terminus, the Quay tramway split off before Weymouth

Toots

Southminster

Bishops Auckland
Ikley
Colne

Matlock

Right I'm positive you can't have Colne or Matlock,the former went to Keighley and the latter went to Buxton then to Manchester and the other two I'm pretty sure were shortened during the Beeching axe,what about Glossop?....Glossop is a defo!.

4SRKT

Established Member
Right I'm positive you can't have Colne or Matlock,the former went to Keighley and the latter went to Buxton then to Manchester and the other two I'm pretty sure were shortened during the Beeching axe,what about Glossop?....Glossop is a defo!.

Colne and Matlock are both wrong according to my original rules. As for that matter are Ilkley and Bishop Auckland.

Glossop is good to go.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Bedpan, reading through the thread I see Epsom Downs is on the thread earlyish on. I fear I must disqualify it - it is about 1500 feet nearer to Sutton than the original one, the site of which is now housing.

On the other hand, you could argue that the new Epsom Downs station was built as a terminus and still fulfils that function, so if we could please have a verdict from the OP?

4SRKT

Established Member
Bedpan, reading through the thread I see Epsom Downs is on the thread earlyish on. I fear I must disqualify it - it is about 1500 feet nearer to Sutton than the original one, the site of which is now housing.

On the other hand, you could argue that the new Epsom Downs station was built as a terminus and still fulfils that function, so if we could please have a verdict from the OP?

The whole question of a relocated terminus is a difficult one. I'd say that if both the old and the new stations fulfil the thread criteria then the new one counts, such as Epsom Downs in this case, or Bradford Forster Square.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Then I think Epsom Downs counts because it was never linked through to Tattenham Corner.

The new station was nuilt simply to allow housing to be built on the site of the old station.

Death

Established Member
London Waterloo used to have a connection to Waterloo East
then known as Waterloo Jn Stn
Ye know...I did wonder about the viaducts that the footbridge is built upon! Thanks for confirming my suspicions! 8-)
Although doesn't that mean that through trains via Waterloo to Charing X would've had to cross the concourse? :shock:

Anyhow...I can't be bothered to check the whole thread, but do my Blaenau Ffestiniog and Chessington South count? <D

Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Yes, there used to be track across what later became the cab road at Waterloo!

The through workings would have been from below London Bridge, not Charing Cross - the connection was only made in the one direction.

4SRKT

Established Member
Ye know...I did wonder about the viaducts that the footbridge is built upon! Thanks for confirming my suspicions! 8-)
Although doesn't that mean that through trains via Waterloo to Charing X would've had to cross the concourse? :shock:

Anyhow...I can't be bothered to check the whole thread, but do my Blaenau Ffestiniog and Chessington South count? <D

Blaenau Ffestiniog doesn't: the line used to go to Bala, and was open to serve the power station at Trawsfynydd until fairly recently.

Chessington South is good though.

Death

Established Member
Blaenau Ffestiniog doesn't: the line used to go to Bala, and was open to serve the power station at Trawsfynydd until fairly recently...
In that case, I'll add Trawsfynydd, Sellafield and Dungeness B to my list! ;)

Also, I think I can get away with Llanberis (SMR) and Snowdon Summit (SMR) under the same thinking, no? <D

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
and Chessington South count? <D

lol, Chessington South was designed to continue onto Leatherheaad, but was scrapped because of the War and Greenbelt issues - hence the disused platform :D

Hertford East
Clacton
Walton-on-the-Naze
Colchester Town?

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
lol, Chessington South was designed to continue onto Leatherheaad, but was scrapped because of the War and Greenbelt issues - hence the disused platform :D

Hertford East
Clacton
Walton-on-the-Naze
Colchester Town?

Thus Chessington South is a genuine terminal station. The line on never existed.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Yes, but would a genuine terminal station ever have had plans for an extension?

How long is a piece of string?

There is no knowing nowadays for plans that were thought of, and never produced, plans that were produced and never built. There will be hundreds of them, that are still unknown.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
How long is a piece of string?

There is no knowing nowadays for plans that were thought of, and never produced, plans that were produced and never built. There will be hundreds of them, that are still unknown.

Yes, but I meant an obvious public one. Oh, and piece of string is x cm long

4SRKT

Established Member
There were many proposals down the years to link up Bradford Exchange and Forster Square stations. They're still terminals though.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
There were many proposals down the years to link up Bradford Exchange and Forster Square stations. They're still terminals though.

Their are proposlas going around to build Bradford Central station by extending through both stations. This was only about 3 months back - I reead it in RAIL :D

NLC1072

Hertford East
Clacton
Walton-on-the-Naze
Colchester Town?

Colchester Town has trains reversing and continuing on to Clacton from London

Status
Not open for further replies.