• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Getting on the wrong train

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirbobpaisley

Hello I am a newbie to these forums and I am posting an amazing story of a mishap were my wife and I ended up getting on the wrong train at Leeds.

When my wife and I arrived at Leeds station and looked at the departures board in the concourse it showed that our train was not at its usual platform of 8B and that it had moved to platform 4B. When we arrived at platform 4B there were two 2-car trains on the platform and both of them were the dreaded Pacer rail buses that we all love to hate.

Anyway, I looked at the display board on the platform and it showed the train was going to Horsforth. After waiting a small while for the doors to open we boarded the train totally unaware that we were not on the Horsforth train until the train Dispatcher blew her whistle at 16.39. That is the point at which my wife turned around to me and said “I don’t think we’re on the right train”.

In sheer horror I saw the display board at the top of the platform as the train slow pulled out of the station that it was going to Morecambe! My fears were then confounded when the train switched tracks and started to accelerate away in a different direction.

That was the point at which I then knew I had royally screwed up big time.

My wife and I had 'accidentally' boarded the 16.39 Leeds - Morecambe service, instead of the 16.42 Leeds - Horsforth Service.

Both of us reeled in shock at the thought of ending up somewhere we did not know and thought that the train was the direct service to Morecambe. You can only imagine our relief when the train started to slow down and pulled into Shipley that we got off the train pretty sharpish and made our way back to Leeds before boarding the proper train home.

I have been going over this in my head wondering what the hell just happened. Both trains on the same platform were leaving just minutes apart and both them were Pacers. The usual Leeds - Horsforth service is always a Pacer so there was nothing to suggest that we were on the wrong train until we saw the time and destination on the display board as the train pulled out of Leeds station.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

YorkshireBear

Established Member
At Leeds it is very easy to do in the PM peak. The Horsforth train particularly so it oftens moves around when i catch it to Burley Park.

I have go on the wrong train from Sheffield to Chapeltown but everything stops at Meadowhall so it is not a problem. Fortunately the furthest you can get from Leeds by accident is Huddersfield or York. Not a million miles away.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Welcome to the forum :)

Oh I reckon we've all done something silly like that before, incredibly easy to do! Especially when it's two of the same class on the same platform, at the same time. I fail to recall a time that specifically matches your situation (I've been travelling on trains for fun for a little over 10 years, memory's not what it used to be! :lol:), but try this one on for size:

Back in 2007, I was on territory I didn't really know well at all on a Freedom of the North East Rover. The idea being to cover tons of the required track I needed at the time, not how things worked out but I digress. Anyway, I had to make a battlefield decision as to where to bail [bail = Old term from the hobby, it means: To leave a train - Ed] from the London Kings Cross to Hull HST as it had been held up significantly by a trepasser further south. My connection at Hull had been wiped out as a result, so I bailed at Brough to await my intended train. At the time, 185s were rare-ish on Hull services so when one rolled in heading west I jumped on without thinking about where it was going as such.

Sometime after the doors closed and we moved off, I discover to my horror we don't go via Doncaster and it's first stop Selby. Fortunately I find the Train Manager sharpish and check my connections. Turned out I could still do the bits I needed to do, but meant a ridiculous time into York. Got off for a service to York anyway and gave up on the plans for the day.

Knew how you felt with the sigh of relief when you could get off at Shipley to head back, I had the same thing when I got the connection times!

gordonthemoron

Established Member
did once get the northern line from Kings Cross to Euston, intending on changing there to the Charing Cross branch. Unfortunately I wound up on a Bank branch train and back in Kings Cross in no time at all.

nrturner

I've caught the wrong train from Sowerby Bridge before - impressive considering it only has 2 platforms!

I regularly catch the 0757 to York to get to work (which is in Bradford). One day, the 0750, which goes to Leeds via Brighouse was late, and I got on that instead (not twigging that it said 'Leeds' rather than 'York' on the front). Ended up having to get a bus from Brighouse to Bradford but was thankfully only 20 minutes late for work!

Sometimes I've been unsure and had to seek out the guard before boarding.

CNash

Occasionally I've been sat on the wrong train due to a platform change. It's very easy to get into the habit of not checking the boards when you know that 99% of the time, your train always leaves from the same platform.

wilsontown

I managed to do a similar thing to Techniquest, on my way from Leeds to York after a few beers with work colleagues in Leeds. Looked at the boards, the TPE train I wanted was going from 15B, as usual. I headed over there, a few minutes early, and there was a 185 already in the platform. This wouldn't be unusual for Leeds, so I go to get on. As I get close, the guard blows the whistle, so without thinking "that's a bit early" or checking the destination boards on the train or platform, I jump on and get a seat. Of course, this was a Hull train that was running a little late, first stop South Milford. I think I'd just unconsciously, and wrongly, assumed it couldn't be a Hull train as that would be a 170. I didn't fancy my chances at South Milford so continued to Selby, where it was late enough that there were no further trains to York, so I eventually made it home by bus.

I'm supposed to be relatively experienced at this railway lark, but anyone can make a mistake.

Buttsy

Established Member
Once at Reading, headed for the usual platform (8) and jumped on the train. Hadn't realised that day that everything was delayed due to warping rails (hot day in the early 1990s) and ended up in Basingstoke. As teh train had reversed out of Reading towards London to run through platform 4, I asked the guard if I could jump off if we slowed down enough when passing through the platform. He said yes, but he was to decide on the speed I could jump at. As it happened we went through at around 15mph, so no-go. Ahhh, the old days where you could open a MK1 brake door inwards without having to press a button or worry about speed locks.

Again at Reading in 2005/2006, saw the Newcastle as on time, platform 3. Ran down the platform and jumped on the train (not looking at the LED desitination board) and found myself on a late running Bournemouth train. Hello Basingstoke!

Last edited:

scotraildriver

Established Member
I have always thought the "composition des trains" signs used on the TGV would work well here. It is a simply electronic display on the platform showing which trains are at the platform, their coach formation and which "zone" on the platform to wait at for each coach. It is simple, pretty much foolproof and I can't see any real reason it wouldn't work here. Its a bit hard to explain just google it - there are plenty of pics.

johntea

Established Member
After consuming a few too many ciders once at a work do I got from Shipley to Leeds then caught the last Leeds to Sheffield stopper of the evening fully intending to get off at Castleford.

I ended up waking up at Wombwell and my first instinct was to get off the train! I then spent the night sleeping rough at Wombwell station :oops:

Luckily I never usually get so drunk I get into a state where I manage to fall asleep for such a long duration (Especially on a Northern Rail pacer!!!)

Mugby

Established Member
The worst (or best!) example of this I've ever seen happened in the 1980's.

There were two overnight cross country services to the south west, due in Derby around 0100. Somehow, they arrived in Derby from the north in the wrong order, second train came in first. It was Mark 1 stock with no labels and no announcements.

I got on and so did about six people who were returning to Burton-on-Trent after a night out in Derby.
As the train approached Burton it was obvious it wasn't going to stop so after the initial dismay, the group of six became resigned to the fact that they would have to go to Birmingham and make their way back from there.

The problem was, when we got to Saltley, the train slowed right down and crossed over to the Camp Hill line. Yes, it was first stop Bristol!

I'll never forget those six people who though they would be home in ten minutes from Derby and ended up in Bristol!

Last edited:

talltim

Established Member
I've been to Stockport not once, but twice, instead of Chesterfield, when they've swapped the usual platforms for the east and west bound Norwich-Liverpool services over at Sheffield.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
I was on Newcastle-London Flying Scotsman in 1980, this was non stop, needless to say somebody got on thinking it would stop at York ;)

Hyphen

Swansea (previously Nottingham/Sheffield)
I've been to Stockport not once, but twice, instead of Chesterfield, when they've swapped the usual platforms for the east and west bound Norwich-Liverpool services over at Sheffield.

This.

Yes, I too have done this once before - saw a (double) 158 in Sheffield station on plat 5, checked the departure time of it (and not the destination), saw I had something like 90 seconds to get on it, so just ran and jumped on. Of course, the first I knew I was going the wrong way was long after I'd left the station; it was only when I felt the train switch onto the Hope Valley near Dore that I realised.

The other big mistake I made leaving Sheffield for Chesterfield was arriving on platform 6 and boarding the Reading-bound CrossCountry service. Worst thing is that I'd checked it was a southbound service and boarded anyway, mistakenly thinking all southbound services stop at Chesterfield. It only clicked that I wasn't going to get off at Chesterfield as I heard the door closing sound - and was nowhere near the doors!!

anti-pacer

Established Member
Never done it myself, but I remember back in 1993 when I lived in Gorleston (Great Yarmouth area), travelling to Liverpool with a friend.

We changed trains in Norwich onto the Liverpool Lime Street train, and after Ely noticed someone near us (who'd been on since Norwich) getting quite concerned. He leaned over and asked if this train was going to London. We advised him it was going to Liverpool, to which his reply was "Oh s***, I wanted Liverpool Street". :D

Easily done I guess, if you don't know your railways!

(He got off in Peterborough and made his way to London from there).

sirbobpaisley

Occasionally I've been sat on the wrong train due to a platform change. It's very easy to get into the habit of not checking the boards when you know that 99% of the time, your train always leaves from the same platform.

This.

From now one this is what I will have to start doing if my usual train ends up on a different platform.

I once remember getting on a Liverpool bound Northern Rail service at Newton-le-willows, intending to get off at Rainhill only to find that it didn't stop until we got to Wavertree Technology Park. The funny thing is that I checked the display board and it clearly indicated the train stops at Rainhill, but that was for the delayed service and the one that I actually boarded was the second one, which is an express service that stops at Wavertree Technology Park.

To say I wasn't very happy would be an understatement as I was stuck at Wavertree Technology Park for an hour on St Patrick's day.

Last edited:

mildertduck

I was in Peterborough once, when there was a train on P4 to "Sheffield" and a train on P5 to "Shenfield". Cue the guard on the Essex-bound train saying many times "this train is for Essex, if you want to go to Yorkshire, go to the other train".

Sometimes trains can be confusing.

Chrisgr31

Established Member
This is one advantage of travelling on the Uckfield line. The Class 171s are very easy to find in London Bridge, and indeed anywhere else one might want to join them!

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
I was on Newcastle-London Flying Scotsman in 1980, this was non stop, needless to say somebody got on thinking it would stop at York ;)
and I got on it this morning, first stop 280 miles away - though ironically, I did nearly get on the wrong one! The preceding service was delayed and could have been mistaken for a slightly early Flying Scotsman.

fowler9

Established Member
Did this at Amsterdam Schipol. A mate of mine said that all the trains went to Centraal (I was pretty sure they didn't but he had been before). Anyway after 4 stops I told him he was wrong because it wasn't that far. Turned out we where on a train to Utrecht. We jumped off at the next station and noticed a stag party and an older married couple off our flight and asked them if they had got the wrong train as well. Turned out they followed us because we looked like we knew where we were going. I promised I'd ignore my mate in future as he didn't have a clue about public transport, and then did the same in Barcelona a couple of years later because he had been there before.

Honestly, never again. Ha ha. He has followed me ever since if he has been somewhere before or not. Never had a problem again.

GodAtum

On Moderation
This is one advantage of travelling on the Uckfield line. The Class 171s are very easy to find in London Bridge, and indeed anywhere else one might want to join them!

Lol I often wondered why they used that class only on that line.

I dont mind getting on the wrong train on a short journey but am always extra careful when taking long distance.

Cletus

Established Member
Last year I managed to get on the wrong train twice.

1) At Clapham Junction. I was on the walkway above the platform, the indicator board said next train to Wimbledon – platform 11 which was due to leave in 1 minute. So, I rushed down the stairs and took my seat on the train. Watching the station stops scrolling across the screen, I realised it was Woking 1st stop! I was too late, the train was moving, There were at least 2 other people in the same carriage who had done the same thing.
So at Woking, having only a Zones 1-6 Travelcard, I dutifully bought a single back to London.
There was no ticket check either way, so I could have had a free trip.

2) At Birmingham New Street. I had a ticket to Wolverhampton, so I went down to platform 5 where the screen said that this was the Cross Country train to Manchester. I got on and turned left walked a carriage and a half to find a seat and sat down. To my surprise we pulled out of New Street the opposite way to that I was expecting. Derby 1st stop! There must have been 2 trains on the platform. When the ticket inspector came along I don’t that I was 1st person to make that mistake.
Anyway he advised me to speak to the staff at Derby and they directed onto a train back to New Street that was just about to leave.
I thought I may have been charged for the unexpected trip, but no-one seemed bothered.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Making assumptions is a dangerous thing to do on the railway.

Brings back memories one early morning at Loughborough from 10 years ago. Intention was to change at Leicester for the New Street service. Dashed over the footbridge, saw a Central Trains 156 in the platform, and jumped straight on. Guard looked at me, bemused, and asked me if I was on the right train. I replied with "definitely". After the train pulled away, I was surprised to find that there was no other passenger on the train, and remotely remembered seeing everyone else stood on the platform.

As you guessed it, I found myself on the Norwich train, first stop Melton Mowbray.

Thankfully I have never been in a situation where I ended up hours away from my intended destination.

talltim

Established Member
This.

Yes, I too have done this once before - saw a (double) 158 in Sheffield station on plat 5, checked the departure time of it (and not the destination), saw I had something like 90 seconds to get on it, so just ran and jumped on. Of course, the first I knew I was going the wrong way was long after I'd left the station; it was only when I felt the train switch onto the Hope Valley near Dore that I realised.

The other big mistake I made leaving Sheffield for Chesterfield was arriving on platform 6 and boarding the Reading-bound CrossCountry service. Worst thing is that I'd checked it was a southbound service and boarded anyway, mistakenly thinking all southbound services stop at Chesterfield. It only clicked that I wasn't going to get off at Chesterfield as I heard the door closing sound - and was nowhere near the doors!!

I'd forgotten I did that one too, years ago. Also the 15:47 EMT to St Pancras doesn't stop at Chesterfield...

Last edited:

fowler9

Established Member

Brings back memories one early morning at Loughborough from 10 years ago. Intention was to change at Leicester for the New Street service. Dashed over the footbridge, saw a Central Trains 156 in the platform, and jumped straight on. Guard looked at me, bemused, and asked me if I was on the right train. I replied with "definitely". After the train pulled away, I was surprised to find that there was no other passenger on the train, and remotely remembered seeing everyone else stood on the platform.

As you guessed it, I found myself on the Norwich train, first stop Melton Mowbray.

Thankfully I have never been in a situation where I ended up hours away from my intended destination.

Assume makes an ass out of u and me. Hideous management speak but quite amusing, ha ha.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member

Indeed. One unfortunate assumption that I've learned not to make is that 'every train leaving Waterloo East heading east is going to stop at London Bridge'. A couple of years ago I discovered the hard way that there are a couple of peak hour trains that don't stop until Sevenoaks.... ;)

Essexman

Established Member
Done this a few times. Worst was at Brussells when I rushed up steps and jumped in train. Doors shut and I expected to to head off to Amsterdam - but it went the other way!

fsmr

About 9 years back when my now 14 yr old was still mad on trains and not xbox:roll:
I drove to Kettering and took him on the one of the winter MML sunday Kettering Leicester diversions over the (then) freight only Corby to Manton junction line. After a trip on a 125 there and having had lunch wandered back to Leicester and saw a London Meridian about to depart, we raced down the steps and jumped on. just as it departed.
Only once underway heading back towards Melton and then Oakham, that awful moment when the tannoy announced it as one of the few non stops to London:oops:
:oops:
The guard was very sympathetic and reassured my now crying son who was worried about missing school the next day that it was only an extra hour or so to go London and back to Kettering and she stamped our tickets to allow us to return

Later she came back and said she was going to stop at Kettering for an unscheduled crew pick up and she would let us off there so we wouldn't need to go to London
Much to his relief

Needless to say it gets brought up every time we go on a train plane or bus:oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.