• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GN Class 717

Status
Not open for further replies.

choochoochoo

Established Member
I did get a thick pile of paper in my pigeon hole. It was a fun read on the journey home.

Chocolates ? Will they be in my pigeon hole too ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OwenB

I don't have anything to do with trains, aside from commuting to and from work, but I'm genuinely excited by riding on one of these hopefully on Monday. I just hope that the 5.21 HAT-FPK is on time on Monday morning, so I can pick up that 5.41 FPK-MOG.

daniel1234321

I don't have anything to do with trains, aside from commuting to and from work, but I'm genuinely excited by riding on one of these hopefully on Monday. I just hope that the 5.21 HAT-FPK is on time on Monday morning, so I can pick up that 5.41 FPK-MOG.

That'll be a close one! That train arrives at FPK platform 2 at 5:41.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Strange that it still isn’t officially announced about Monday on either GN website or twitter. Is it definitely happening?

Speaking of which. I see a 4 coach train replacing yet another failed 700 today on Cambridge- Kings Cross local services.

Downthelane

Any incidents or cancellations today will be observed with additional interest with a million+ extra people travelling to London.

Grant “promised a cabinet position now I have changed sides” Shapps might be a little less vocal today if there are failures.

Sadly for him (and only him), the wormed has turned.

Fred26

Strange that it still isn’t officially announced about Monday on either GN website or twitter. Is it definitely happening?

Speaking of which. I see a 4 coach train replacing yet another failed 700 today on Cambridge- Kings Cross local services.

Yes. There's a full intinerary for staff along the route. Media will be travelling, along with various top GTR managers.
I can't remember what train they'll be using, but you'll know if you're on it because the front coach (going north) will be out of bounds, with a revenue team blocking the way.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Thanks. With the amount of false starts the 717 has had I didn’t know if they still were uncertain. Was expecting a big fan fare from the media team.

Although that may be counter productive it is only a 6 coach train after all.

Downthelane

Yes. There's a full intinerary for staff along the route. Media will be travelling, along with various top GTR managers.
I can't remember what train they'll be using, but you'll know if you're on it because the front coach (going north) will be out of bounds, with a revenue team blocking the way.

Is this a joke?

Downthelane

GN Farce continues

Train full and standing prevents passengers from joining late running scheduled peak time service.

....cab already full of additional sighting operatives....

Fare paying passengers forced to stand while GTR Mangers have sole use of carriage “celebrating” replacement of 43 year old rolling stock....

I’d suggest this might need a rethink....

daniel1234321

I just asked on twitter, and they said "Hi Daniel, we will be able to provide a date very soon. ^Jack"

Class315

Where did you hear that?

The information is sourced from an Internal Staff PDF file.

I'm sure if Managers do their PR antics, they'll use a service in the off peak as jestfully you don't usually see managers before 09:00 and after 15:00 in most cases LOL. :lol:

Failed Unit

Established Member
I just asked on twitter, and they said "Hi Daniel, we will be able to provide a date very soon. ^Jack"

That’s what I find odd. fred26 and class315 both work for GTR (among others contributing here). But the twitter team still say nothing. As if GTR have got 100% faith it will happen but as far as the staff are concerned it is happening.

Contrast LNER and the Azuma date is happening.

I would hope the manager ride is against the peak.

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
Thanks. With the amount of false starts the 717 has had I didn’t know if they still were uncertain. Was expecting a big fan fare from the media team.

Although that may be counter productive it is only a 6 coach train after all.

There will be free chocolates being handed out at WGC Monday and Tuesday. I expect the media team won't post anything live until the first train has departed!

And, yes, I'd expect the 'media train' to start from Moorgate and therefore go against the flow. Not much point asking journalists to meet at Hertford or Welwyn Garden City at 5am or whatever.

Class315

That’s what I find off. fred26 and class315 both work for GTR (among others contributing here). But the twitter team still say nothing. As if GTR have got 100% faith it will happen but as far as the staff are concerned it is happening.

Contrast LNER and the Azuma date is happening.

I would hope the manager ride is against the peak.

I've seen an internal video from the Chief Operating Officer, Steve White where he states that a quarter of the 717's will be in service by the end of April and the rest will be phased in which makes operational sense, whilst driver training continues or steps up.

One wonders, if 313's won't be stood down until at least 5 717's are in service. - Long live 313058.

daniel1234321

I've seen an internal video from the Chief Operating Officer, Steve White where he states that a quarter of the 717's will be in service by the end of April and the rest will be phased in which makes operational sense, whilst driver training continues or steps up.

One wonders, if 313's won't be stood down until at least 5 717's are in service. - Long live 313058.
I heard over on WNXX that GTR have a franchise agreement to keep rolling stock that's been withdrawn from service for 4 weeks after it is withdrawn, in case problems arise with the new rolling stock (this was what happened with the 700s)

Failed Unit

Established Member
I assume many other stations. Certainly Moorgate I'd have thought. I only know about WGC as I spoke to staff there.
I guess I will find out on Monday. ;). But will be checking on here to see after work if i should be walking to kings cross as normal or Moorgate for the 1800.

Class315

I heard over on WNXX that GTR have a franchise agreement to keep rolling stock that's been withdrawn from service for 4 weeks after it is withdrawn, in case problems arise with the new rolling stock (this was what happened with the 700s)

Just had a logical thought, Space is already a premium at Hornsey so regardless of a potential 717 failure, one unit could be replaced with one another thus some 313's might just be moved to sidings on the route - only logical location would be Hertford North. - any bettings on how quickly those units will be vandalized if outstabled there.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I guess I will find out on Monday. ;). But will be checking on here to see after work if i should be walking to kings cross as normal or Moorgate for the 1800.

Might be time to start a new thread about the chocolates. ;)

Failed Unit

Established Member
Might be time to start a new thread about the chocolates. ;)

True. I can see this backfiring in many ways. Imagine disruption due to a failed unit. I don’t think handing out chocolates at Moorgate will go down well. (Any unit not a just 717 of course)

Aictos

Established Member
Just had a logical thought, Space is already a premium at Hornsey so regardless of a potential 717 failure, one unit could be replaced with one another thus some 313's might just be moved to sidings on the route - only logical location would be Hertford North. - any bettings on how quickly those units will be vandalized if outstabled there.

No need to bet, it's a sure thing that any unit's left up there will be vandalised as the security isn't the best in the world and I'm referring to the fact that the fencing and lack of proper security lighting makes it a easy target.

Indeed a few years ago, a unit was stabled in the down siding one night for around half a hour before the next service terminated to couple to it and it had been vandalised so doesn't take long for the undesirables to target them.

I know one of the sidings in the yard there has been out of use for a long time now, no idea why so maybe you might know why?

Looking at Open Train Times and Traksy, it appears that Sidings 3 and 4 are both out of use today so that further impacts on stabling space there, anyway if memory serves me right if Hertford doesn't have any issues stabling rolling stock it should be able to cater for 8 Class 313s in the Up Yard and 2 Class 313s in the Down Siding so 10 units altogether but that leaves no room for any shunts or stabling during the day.

What about Hitchin? I know you've got the Up Yard there which has been used in the past to stable rolling stock, not too sure on which sidings there are electrified though or how many units it can take.

It's also a pity that the Up Yard at Welwyn Garden City wasn't upgraded to provide stabling as that could have meant expanding the facilities there with 12 car sidings on the Up Side which would have been helpful as I'm not sure if the Down Yard can take 12 cars or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.