• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GOT CAUGHT USING 11-15 OYSTER. HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
ok thank you so much for those kind words.
i will get back to you guys once i get the letter

Just for the time being then, we’ll lock the thread and when you’re ready to update us, use the report function below and we’ll reopen it.

Thanks everyone

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

r4miii

Hi guys i got an update, letter came through asking me to fill out information. and deny or accept. if i deny need to explain why and if i accept need to explain why. anyone recommend anything?

to be honest im just gonna accept it and be honest but yh if anyone has other advice please do let me know

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Hi guys i got an update, letter came through asking me to fill out information. and deny or accept. if i deny need to explain why and if i accept need to explain why. anyone recommend anything?

to be honest im just gonna accept it and be honest but yh if anyone has other advice please do let me know
In the circumstances, this is the right thing to do. This will mean that it will go to court and you will be convicted and fined but to be blunt that's what the facts mean.

It's important to write back to TfL and the court so that you can be seen to be co-operating - this will help make the fine as small as possible. When they ask about your income, make sure you tell them (accurately) as the fine is based on your income: if you don't reply they will assume that you're earning quite a lot of money and that will make the fine more expensive. So an honest reply will help keep the cost down!

r4miii

In the circumstances, this is the right thing to do. This will mean that it will go to court and you will be convicted and fined but to be blunt that's what the facts mean.

It's important to write back to TfL and the court so that you can be seen to be co-operating - this will help make the fine as small as possible. When they ask about your income, make sure you tell them (accurately) as the fine is based on your income: if you don't reply they will assume that you're earning quite a lot of money and that will make the fine more expensive. So an honest reply will help keep the cost down!
they said that i need to give information to support why i shouldnt be prosecuted. ive seen other threads of people saying to offer to pay the fine and settle it out of court. heard this is rare for tfl but has happened before.

i mean i dont have a job

i have done some sort of volunteer tutoring which i got paid for here and there but its not official or recorded etc.

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
they said that i need to give information to support why i shouldnt be prosecuted. ive seen other threads of people saying to offer to pay the fine and settle it out of court. heard this is rare for tfl but has happened before.
As you say, it's unlikely that TfL will agree to settle out of court. But you may want to write a letter to TfL in much the way that @Hadders advises in other threads: essentially you need to apologise and make it clear that you won't do it again. When you do that, bear in mind that it's a formal letter to a government organisation. So although you prefer to write in text-speak, it's best to try hard to write it formally: think about how you were expected to write essays when you were at school, and write like that.

If you do choose to send a letter like that, it might be worth posting your draft up here: there will be people who are willing to look it over and try and suggest better ways of wording it while still letting it sound like you have written it.

i mean i dont have a job
When they ask about your income it will be important to explain this. Otherwise they will assume that you do have a job and it's quite well paid - and you will be fined quite a lot.

WesternLancer

Established Member
See post #43 from @Hadders above in this thread for what to include in such a reply letter if you decide to respond to request a settlement out of court.

r4miii

As you say, it's unlikely that TfL will agree to settle out of court. But you may want to write a letter to TfL in much the way that @Hadders advises in other threads: essentially you need to apologise and make it clear that you won't do it again. When you do that, bear in mind that it's a formal letter to a government organisation. So although you prefer to write in text-speak, it's best to try hard to write it formally: think about how you were expected to write essays when you were at school, and write like that.

If you do choose to send a letter like that, it might be worth posting your draft up here: there will be people who are willing to look it over and try and suggest better ways of wording it while still letting it sound like you have written it.

When they ask about your income it will be important to explain this. Otherwise they will assume that you do have a job and it's quite well paid - and you will be fined quite a lot
sure if its ok with you guys ill send in what i have drafted up

DRAFT::::::::

Dear whom it may concern,

I hope this email finds you well. I am writing to you with a heavy heart and a profound sense of remorse regarding an incident that occurred yesterday involving the misuse of an Oyster card. I want to express my sincerest apologies for my actions and any inconvenience or concern they may have caused to Transport for London (TfL) and its staff. I am embarrassed that I am having to send this email because of my appalling behaviour.

First and foremost, I want to take full accountability for my actions. I deeply regret my decision to use an Oyster card that did not belong to me. I admit that it was a mistake, and I acknowledge the seriousness of the situation. I assure you that this behaviour is completely out of character for me, and I am truly ashamed of my actions. I did not use someone else's oyster to have a malicious intent to avoid any fare, but it was still wrong.

I was stopped by a member of TFL staff who recorded my information and responses, where I briefly told him the reason was as my parents and I could not afford it. I did not give him context as due to his very uncomfortable attitude with me, I did not feel comfortable with giving him the full story. I did ask him what the next steps were as he gave me no information, where initially he ignored me two times and on the final time he gave me a very brief answer that I would get a letter.

I want to provide some context for my actions, not as an excuse, but to offer insight into the circumstances that led to my lapse in judgment. On the day of the incident, I found myself in a difficult situation where I needed to travel to a hospital , which I was already running very late to, and had no alternative means of transportation available to me. Regrettably, due to recent financial difficulties, including being a victim of fraud of £1200 (which was paid to someone to help with my ***) which I had mentioned to my bank the day before, I was unable to afford the fare at that moment. I do not work, and do not come from a family that can afford these types of payment, even the amount of £1200 I had paid was from borrowed money, causing me even more stress. I understand that this does not justify my actions at all, but I hope it sheds light on the desperation I felt in that moment. You may think why I do not have the adult blue-coloured oyster and this is because I always use my bank card if I need to travel. IF YOU WOULD LIKE PROOF OF THIS I CAN SHOW SOME EXAMPLES OF RECENT TRANSACTIONS I HAVE MADE TO TFL VIA MY BANK CARD. My only other means was cash but of course I cannot pay for the train with cash. I also do not possess a student oyster, as I’m not currently a student at institution as I’m on a gap here which I previously mentioned.

To add to this, I am 19 (a gap year student and unemployed - which is not an excuse for my actions but just some context). I hope to go to university next year to study a healthcare related course and if I went to court regardless how big or small the matter is, I would not be able to study the course I hope to. I am worried that going to court and a criminal conviction will prevent me from getting into education and even getting employment in said field. If in the future, I was to be employed in said field, I would be the sole provider within my family, so it will not only affect me but also my family. It will ruin me, my life, and my family; which is all my fault. So I ask if I could pay a fare or something rather than take this to court for which I will have to find a way to afford but am willing to to stop it getting to court. I am so sorry for my disgusting behaviour and am sorry to whoever is reading this.

Furthermore, I want to emphasize that I have always strived to be a law-abiding citizen and have never intended to engage in any form of dishonesty or misconduct. This incident has served as a profound lesson for me, and I am committed to ensuring that it never happens again. I have already begun taking steps to rectify my financial situation and prevent similar situations from arising in the future. I have embarrassed my family and brought shame to them, something I never would purposely do.

The stress and anxiety caused by this incident have taken a significant toll on me as I also do have mental well obstacled with depression, stress & anxiety. I have been unable to sleep and have felt overwhelming guilt and shame for my actions. I am hoping you can realise this as this occurred yesterday, I have not even recieved the letter, yet I am sending in an email due to the fact this has not left my mind. All day I have been thinking of this full of guilt, having lost my appetite since yesterday, all because I have not just messed up my life but others too. However, I am determined to face the consequences of my actions and make amends in any way possible. I am really sorry for my childish actions.

With that said, I kindly request your understanding and leniency in resolving this matter. I am willing to accept any consequences deemed appropriate by TfL, whether it be a warning, a penalty fare, or any other resolution that does not involve legal proceedings i.e. court. My primary goal is to make things right and demonstrate my sincere remorse for my actions.

Additionally, I humbly request that my younger sibling, who was unaware of the situation and had no involvement in it, be allowed to continue using their Oyster card without any repercussions. *** is **8 years old, her DOB being *** and name being ***. *** was not aware of me using it and the only reason I was able to was as *** is on half term. I have also ruined *** image and life and plead you please allow *** to keep travelling with her zip card.

My family have not brought me up to be like this. As I mentioned I have no excuses, it was my fault, however I hope you can appreciate I did not have much of a choice on how to travel at that point.

Once again, I apologize wholeheartedly for my behaviour and any inconvenience it may have caused. I deeply regret my actions and assure you that I have learned from this experience. I am committed to making amends and regaining your trust.

I understand it is in your hands now and I hope you can understand where I am coming from but also understand it is 100% my fault which I admit. I can only deeply apologise, and tell you from the bottom of my heart this will never happen again - this being the first and last time and me having learnt my lesson. I can assure you this will never happen again.

Please take this into account when looking at my case as I never intended to use the oyster to pay a smaller fare. I sincerely apologise.

Thank you for taking the time to read this email. I hope for your understanding and compassion in resolving this matter.

Last edited:

r4miii

See post #43 from @Hadders above in this thread for what to include in such a reply letter if you decide to respond to request a settlement out of court.
do you reckon in my draft i have ticked off all of what he has mentioned?... this reply may upload before the draft as its still awaiting moderator approval

apparently getting scammed is a mitigating cirumcstance?

Last edited:

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
do you reckon in my draft i have ticked off all of what he has mentioned?... this reply may upload before the draft as its still awaiting moderator approval
It looks as if the moderators are busy with their real lives at the moment and don't have time to help here.

So would you be able to put the text of your draft into a post in this thread? If nothing else, if people want to suggest small changes, that can be easier (we can copy it and make additions and so on).

r4miii

It looks as if the moderators are busy with their real lives at the moment and don't have time to help here.

So would you be able to put the text of your draft into a post in this thread? If nothing else, if people want to suggest small changes, that can be easier (we can copy it and make additions and so on).
hi haha it’s probably looking weird once you read my reply. ive sent it in a while ago but still awaiting moderator approval

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
hi haha it’s probably looking weird once you read my reply. ive sent it in a while ago but still awaiting moderator approval
Apologies for the delay, post now approved.

skyhigh

Established Member
I am hoping you can realise this as this occurred yesterday, I have not even recieved the letter, yet I am sending in an email due to the fact this has not left my mind.
Have you already sent this email?

WesternLancer

Established Member
I think it would be advisable to try and make it significantly shorter.

Veteran Member
I hope you haven't sent this draft and are waitijg forcthe letter.

Your letter is too long by a factor of 4-5 and reads as though it is AI-generated (apologies if that's not the case).

We have been told that people reading letters have about 3 minutes to deal with each one.

Some points to start:
1. you say twice that you weren't attempting to avoid the correct fare - how can that be true?
2. You don't need to comment (para 3) about the ticket inspector.
3. The scam is an unusual enough event to be worth mentioning briefly.
4. The health issues arising from your wrongdoing (not "mistake" BTW) won't get you any sympathy, sorry.
5. It is simply not true that a conviction for fare evasion will ruin your life or your family's.
6. Briefly mentioning that your sibling was unaware is OK.

Sorry that's such a long list and reads quite abruptly.

TheJester

I do hope you have not sent that. It’s far too long.
TFL will have heard most of that before and it resorts to pleading at points
“It will ruin me“ is totally incorrect and over dramatic.

Please tell me you’ve not sent that?!

Brissle Girl

Established Member
It’s far too long (I lost the will to live long before the end, I’m afraid) and full of AI generated phrases that they will have seen many times before. And some is frankly over the top too.

Sorry if that’s blunt, but three or four short paragraphs in your own words will be much better (though given TfL, it’s a very long shot that it will make any difference I’m afraid).

WesternLancer

Established Member
I do hope you have not sent that. It’s far too long.
TFL will have heard most of that before and it resorts to pleading at points
“It will ruin me“ is totally incorrect and over dramatic.

Please tell me you’ve not sent that?!
I think it is the OP's draft and they are looking for help and advice on how to improve it.

TheJester

Ok, specific points. You say in your ending paragraphs “This is the first and last time”. Is this true?
TFL will be aware most people are not caught on the first time they attempt to fare-dodge.

r4miii

Have you already sent this email?
nope

Ok, specific points. You say in your ending paragraphs “This is the first and last time”. Is this true?
TFL will be aware most people are not caught on the first time they attempt to fare-dodge.
yes, surely they will have records anyway so i don’t see why anyone would lie about this. plus i think i was asked if it was my first time from the officer. am i doing too much by saying this? shall i remove it? i guess it’s not needed

I think it is the OP's draft and they are looking for help and advice on how to improve it.
yes

It’s far too long (I lost the will to live long before the end, I’m afraid) and full of AI generated phrases that they will have seen many times before. And some is frankly over the top too.

Sorry if that’s blunt, but three or four short paragraphs in your own words will be much better (though given TfL, it’s a very long shot that it will make any difference I’m afraid).
ok which paragraphs are not needed

I hope you haven't sent this draft and are waitijg forcthe letter.

Your letter is too long by a factor of 4-5 and reads as though it is AI-generated (apologies if that's not the case).

We have been told that people reading letters have about 3 minutes to deal with each one.

Some points to start:
1. you say twice that you weren't attempting to avoid the correct fare - how can that be true?
2. You don't need to comment (para 3) about the ticket inspector.
3. The scam is an unusual enough event to be worth mentioning briefly.
4. The health issues arising from your wrongdoing (not "mistake" BTW) won't get you any sympathy, sorry.
5. It is simply not true that a conviction for fare evasion will ruin your life or your family's.
6. Briefly mentioning that your sibling was unaware is OK.

Sorry that's such a long list and reads quite abruptly.
1. because i didn’t have any other card or oyster to resort to. i had topped the zip card i used up by cash with the amount it would normally be for me anyways
2. ok but i thought they might ask why i didn’t just say all this before
3. i was told it can be considered as mitigating. i will confirm tomorrow with iap
4. i’m not asking them for sympathy. i’ve done wrong. i’m just wanting to let them make the fact court will impact my future and how it is taking a toll on me
5. i mean i called the university i applied to about what they can do. unfortunately they can’t take anyone on if you have any criminal conviction, the others said they will prefer applicants without it over me. so technically it can. if i don’t go to university and study the degree. also , hypothetically if i did get the degree and job in that field i would be the sole provider in the family. my dad is currently struggling to find a job due to an injury occurring at his previous job restricting him with a lot.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
sure if its ok with you guys ill send in what i have drafted up

DRAFT::::::::

Dear whom it may concern, (Wait until you get the letter and write back to the person or department who has sent it to you.)

I hope this email finds you well. (This whole email is ChatGPT generated and it shows. You are not "hoping to find the reader well", this is a formal letter which has to get to the point.) I am writing to you with a heavy heart and a profound sense of remorse regarding an incident that occurred yesterday (on *date*) involving the misuse of an Oyster card. I want to express my sincerest apologies for my actions and any inconvenience or concern they may have caused to Transport for London (TfL) and its staff. I am embarrassed that I am having to send this email because of my appalling behaviour.

First and foremost, I want to take full accountability for my actions. I deeply regret my decision to use an Oyster card that did not belong to me. I admit that it was a mistake, and I acknowledge the seriousness of the situation. I assure you that this behaviour is completely out of character for me, and I am truly ashamed of my actions. I did not use someone else's oyster to have a malicious intent to avoid any fare, but it was still wrong.

I was stopped by a member of TFL staff who recorded my information and responses, where I briefly told him the reason was as my parents and I could not afford it. I did not give him context as due to his very uncomfortable attitude with me, I did not feel comfortable with giving him the full story. I did ask him what the next steps were as he gave me no information, where initially he ignored me two times and on the final time he gave me a very brief answer that I would get a letter.

I want to provide some context for my actions, not as an excuse, but to offer insight into the circumstances that led to my lapse in judgment.
On the day of the incident, I found myself in a difficult situation where I needed to travel to a hospital , which I was already running very late to, and had no alternative means of transportation available to me. Regrettably, due to recent financial difficulties, including being a victim of fraud of £1200 (which was paid to someone to help with my ***) which I had mentioned to my bank the day before, I was unable to afford the fare at that moment. I do not work, and do not come from a family that can afford these types of payment, even the amount of £1200 I had paid was from borrowed money, causing me even more stress. I understand that this does not justify my actions at all, but I hope it sheds light on the desperation I felt in that moment. You may think why I do not have the adult blue-coloured oyster and this is because I always use my bank card if I need to travel. IF YOU WOULD LIKE PROOF OF THIS I CAN SHOW SOME EXAMPLES OF RECENT TRANSACTIONS I HAVE MADE TO TFL VIA MY BANK CARD. My only other means was cash but of course I cannot pay for the train with cash. I also do not possess a student oyster, as I’m not currently a student at institution as I’m on a gap here which I previously mentioned.

To add to this, I am 19 (a gap year student and unemployed - which is not an excuse for my actions but just some context). I hope to go to university next year to study a healthcare related course and if I went to court regardless how big or small the matter is, I would not be able to study the course I hope to. I am worried that going to court and a criminal conviction will prevent me from getting into education and even getting employment in said field. If in the future, I was to be employed in said field, I would be the sole provider within my family, so it will not only affect me but also my family. It will ruin me, my life, and my family; which is all my fault. So I ask if I could pay a fare or something rather than take this to court for which I will have to find a way to afford but am willing to to stop it getting to court. I am so sorry for my disgusting behaviour and am sorry to whoever is reading this.

Furthermore, I want to emphasise that I have always strived to be a law-abiding citizen and have never intended to engage in any form of dishonesty or misconduct.
This incident has served as a profound lesson for me, and I am committed to ensuring that it never happens again. I have already begun taking steps to rectify my financial situation and prevent similar situations from arising in the future. I have embarrassed my family and brought shame to them, something I never would purposely do.

The stress and anxiety caused by this incident have taken a significant toll on me as I also do have mental well obstacled (this makes no sense - do you mean "mental health problems? And what relevance are they?) with depression, stress & anxiety. I have been unable to sleep and have felt overwhelming guilt and shame for my actions. I am hoping you can realise this as this occurred yesterday, I have not even recieved the letter, yet I am sending in an email due to the fact this has not left my mind.(DO NOT SEND AN EMAIL BEFORE YOU GET THE LETTER) All day I have been thinking of this full of guilt, having lost my appetite since yesterday, all because I have not just messed up my life but others too. However, I am determined to face the consequences of my actions and make amends in any way possible. I am really sorry for my childish actions.

With that said, I kindly request your understanding and leniency in resolving this matter. I am willing to accept any consequences deemed appropriate by TfL (no, you aren't willing to accept any consequences, you're asking to settle to keep it out of court), whether it be a warning, a penalty fare, or any other resolution that does not involve legal proceedings i.e. court. My primary goal is to make things right and demonstrate my sincere remorse for my actions. I ask that I be allowed to settle this matter without court action, and am prepared to pay the outstanding fare and any costs you have incurred in handling my case.

Additionally, I humbly request that my younger sibling, who was unaware of the situation and had no involvement in it, be allowed to continue using their Oyster card without any repercussions. *** is **8 years old, her DOB being *** and name being ***. *** was not aware of me using it and the only reason I was able to was as *** is on half term. I have also ruined *** image and life and plead you please allow *** to keep travelling with her zip card.

My family have not brought me up to be like this. As I mentioned I have no excuses, it was my fault, however I hope you can appreciate I did not have much of a choice on how to travel at that point.

Once again, I apologize wholeheartedly for my behaviour and any inconvenience it may have caused. I deeply regret my actions and assure you that I have learned from this experience. I am committed to making amends and regaining your trust.

I understand it is in your hands now and I hope you can understand where I am coming from but also understand it is 100% my fault which I admit. I can only deeply apologise, and tell you from the bottom of my heart this will never happen again - this being the first and last time and me having learnt my lesson. I can assure you this will never happen again.

Please take this into account when looking at my case as I never intended to use the oyster to pay a smaller fare. I sincerely apologise.

Thank you for taking the time to read this email. I hope for your understanding and compassion in resolving this matter. Yours sincerely/kind regards as appropriate, NAME

I've amended this letter for style and to remove all the superfluous begging. It's okay to use ChatGPT to other AI to give a letter structure but it is clear that these aren't your own words and it comes across as insincere - so I have edited out a lot of the bumph and corrected the American spellings. To put it bluntly, TfL aren't interested in the shame you think you've brought to the family or how you were brought up; they don't care if you consider yourself a good or bad person, merely that you committed an offence by blatantly trying to evade the fare. So it is best to stick to the point. They read *loads* of letters like this every day so brief is better.

I think you are quite determined to explain your motive for fare evasion, which in my view is unwise but I have kept it in as you seem dead set on telling them. You claim you had literally no means of paying for your fare at all, yet a few days later you claim your financial worries are being fixed (how? you don't say) and you are no longer a fare evasion risk. Do not tell them you had cash, because, yes you can pay for your journeys with cash even if it is more expensive.

Overall the letter just reads like a Hail Mary attempt at avoiding consequences, when you really need to get to the nub of the matter quickly.

DO NOT SEND ANY LETTER OR EMAIL until you receive TfL's correspondence.

r4miii

I've amended this letter for style and to remove all the superfluous begging. It's okay to use ChatGPT to other AI to give a letter structure but it is clear that these aren't your own words and it comes across as insincere - so I have edited out a lot of the bumph and corrected the American spellings. To put it bluntly, TfL aren't interested in the shame you think you've brought to the family or how you were brought up; they don't care if you consider yourself a good or bad person, merely that you committed an offence by blatantly trying to evade the fare. So it is best to stick to the point. They read *loads* of letters like this every day so brief is better.

I think you are quite determined to explain your motive for fare evasion, which in my view is unwise but I have kept it in as you seem dead set on telling them. You claim you had literally no means of paying for your fare at all, yet a few days later you claim your financial worries are being fixed (how? you don't say) and you are no longer a fare evasion risk. Do not tell them you had cash, because, yes you can pay for your journeys with cash even if it is more expensive.

Overall the letter just reads like a Hail Mary attempt at avoiding consequences, when you really need to get to the nub of the matter quickly.

DO NOT SEND ANY LETTER OR EMAIL until you receive TfL's correspondence.
thank you, but i didnt do it to avoid paying less of a fare? should i not make that clear?
you cannot pay to get past the tfl barriers with cash as far as i know.
i have received a letter now from them hence looking for advice.
i mean what can i say about my mental health that may need to be reworded , as you even ask what relevance does it make? to be honest i have been so stressed, cant get it off my mind, even my friends seem to know something is up. i just cant get it out my mind. how can i reword this.

i have got proof from the hospital to say i was going there on the day.
but what can i ask my bank? apparently there are some mitigating cirumstances involved, not sure what but will get iap to let me know waiting for their reply currently.

i genuinely did not use it to avoid the higher fare. i know you guys probably dont believe me. but i will be printing out my transactions during the week and the week before to state that i do pay for tfl.

do you think it will help me or look bad if i say i only used it since it was all i could use to travel in the moment, due to it being the hlaf term so my sibling wasnt using the oyster. i mean it could show i havent done it or planned it before. but then again they may think i have wanted to use it before and just couldn't as my sibling was using it for school on other occassions.

what proof do you recommend i send in with the letter.

also it says it needs to be sent in 10 days, so do they need to get it in 10 days or should i have posted it within the 10 days. what if it gets delayed?

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
This might be one for one of our (London based?) experts as the TfL website doesn't easily come up with an answer to this. But my understanding is that the big ticket machines in the wall at underground stations will take cash for you to buy a ticket. So as long as you had cash, you could have bought a ticket.

alholmes

This might be one for one of our (London based?) experts as the TfL website doesn't easily come up with an answer to this. But my understanding is that the big ticket machines in the wall at underground stations will take cash for you to buy a ticket. So as long as you had cash, you could have bought a ticket.
As far as I’m aware, the only LU station which doesn’t accept cash is Canary Wharf Jubilee Line. All other accept cash, albeit it’s more expensive than using Oyster or contactless.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
As far as I’m aware, the only LU station which doesn’t accept cash is Canary Wharf Jubilee Line. All other accept cash, albeit it’s more expensive than using Oyster or contactless.
Southwark station doesn't take cash either.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
thank you, but i didnt do it to avoid paying less of a fare? should i not make that clear?
No you shouldn’t made it clear because that’s not true. You misused the pass because it gave you free travel; it is not complicated.
i have received a letter now from them hence looking for advice.
Please post the letter, with your personal details redacted, so we can see what it says and whether it makes any specific allegations.
i mean what can i say about my mental health that may need to be reworded , as you even ask what relevance does it make? to be honest i have been so stressed, cant get it off my mind, even my friends seem to know something is up. i just cant get it out my mind. how can i reword this.
What relevance does your mental health have to you committing the offence?

i have got proof from the hospital to say i was going there on the day.
but what can i ask my bank? apparently there are some mitigating cirumstances involved, not sure what
The mitigating circumstances are for you to explain. As far as I can tell you don’t really have any mitigation, although you have tried to frame your mental health and financial situation as mitigation in the letter.

but will get iap to let me know waiting for their reply currently.

i genuinely did not use it to avoid the higher fare. i know you guys probably dont believe me. but i will be printing out my transactions during the week and the week before to state that i do pay for tfl.
They aren’t going to be bothered, in the same way a supermarket won’t care that a shoplifter has a receipt from shopping the previous week. It’s not relevant information.

TfL will use your submissions in evidence so you should be careful what you say.

r4miii

for inside london travel you use cards im sure. i only needed to buy a ticekt when i was going from london to outside of london. i haven't seen anyone get a ticket otherwise. unless its from kings cross as some trains go to the airpot also and some have other train services other than tfl like gwr

No you shouldn’t made it clear because that’s not true. You misused the pass because it gave you free travel; it is not complicated.

Please post the letter, with your personal details redacted, so we can see what it says and whether it makes any specific allegations.

What relevance does your mental health have to you committing the offence?

The mitigating circumstances are for you to explain. As far as I can tell you don’t really have any mitigation, although you have tried to frame your mental health and financial situation as mitigation in the letter.

They aren’t going to be bothered, in the same way a supermarket won’t care that a shoplifter has a receipt from shopping the previous week. It’s not relevant information.

TfL will use your submissions in evidence so you should be careful what you say.
but it didnt give me free travel, i still need to pay...
yes will post it asap
the impact of going to court is what will have a worse impact, i have not said that mental health is why i committed the offence, i have not made any excuse, as mentioned in the text i said it was a backstory.
ahh ok i was told they can be

IMG_3813.jpeg

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
for inside london travel you use cards im sure.
You’re on the railway forum here with ticketing specialists. Yes, you can pay with cash for Tube fares at a premium rate.

but it didnt give me free travel, i still need to pay...
Semantics really, it’s child rate on the Tube, either way you had no intention of paying your fare and you should not try to suggest otherwise. This is as clear a case of fare evasion as there is.
yes will post it asap
the impact of going to court is what will have a worse impact, i have not said that mental health is why i committed the offence, i have not made any excuse, as mentioned in the text i said it was a backstory.
Why is the back story relevant though? Either you are using it as mitigation or you aren’t. What’s the purpose of telling them about this? You’ve not explained in the letter how this is relevant.
So this is the standard report for prosecution letter, as was explained you’d receive upthread. It asks for exceptional reasons - you are welcome to put in the “backstory” but if you do so you must make it clear why you think it is *exceptional*, and how it is relevant mitigation.

r4miii

but as i said i still put in the fare amount on the card haha
i mean how do i make my point relevant though? im not sure on what the correct wording would me
i see, im not sure how i would make it a relevant mitigation as im not sure what they consider as mitigation. any ideas?

also what does the letter actually show? do they want me to give more info then take it to court or what?

You’re on the railway forum here with ticketing specialists. Yes, you can pay with cash for Tube fares at a premium rate.

Semantics really, it’s child rate on the Tube, either way you had no intention of paying your fare and you should not try to suggest otherwise. This is as clear a case of fare evasion as there is.

Why is the back story relevant though? Either you are using it as mitigation or you aren’t. What’s the purpose of telling them about this? You’ve not explained in the letter how this is relevant.

So this is the standard report for prosecution letter, as was explained you’d receive upthread. It asks for exceptional reasons - you are welcome to put in the “backstory” but if you do so you must make it clear why you think it is *exceptional*, and how it is relevant mitigation.

skyhigh

Established Member
i see, im not sure how i would make it a relevant mitigation as im not sure what they consider as mitigation. any ideas?
Sorry but it's for you to suggest things that mitigate your actions, not for us to try and make excuses for you.
You clearly intended to pay a reduced fare, that is textbook pre-meditated fare evasion. Dancing around the point by saying you paid something is not going to help you.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member

Yes, but you did not pay your fare, this is not in dispute and you should cease any sort of semantics about this and definitely not include it in the letter.

i mean how do i make my point relevant though? im not sure on what the correct wording would me
You tell us how your mental health is relevant mitigation - or in other words, why should they care? What is exceptional about having stress/anxiety/depression, in what way did it affect your offending, and why, given those things, is it relevant to them deciding whether or not to prosecute you in the magistrates' court?

It's up to you to supply your mitigation, not for us to imagine reasons.

A good example, however, for a mitigating factor is that someone was, in fact, eligible for a Freedom Pass they misused, but hadn't got around to applying for it.

Trying to imagine what the court or TfL might consider mitigation and then imagining how you can stretch credibility to claim something as mitigation isn't the way forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.