• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Government advice discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Well I've had an enjoyable (not!) time reading most of this thread! There I was thinking my colleagues were exaggerating the situation and worrying over nothing...I had planned to just have a quick catch-up on the forum, before I head outside for some more exercise, then I found this thread. Oddly it reckoned I'd already seen it, but I figured there'd be some useful advice for those of us travelling soon. It had to be worth a read...

It's worth noting I've been avoiding the news, social media and as much flapping about Covid-19 as possible, not a bad idea considering how much things get exaggerated on Facebook, Twitter and so on. I've got a pretty darn strong immune system, and it took many hours of being out in the cold weather of recent times to get just a mild cold. After 36 hours, with some meds, that was gone. In years gone by, that would have been a much bigger number, but all the exposure to the outdoors since Q1 2018 has clearly helped create a strong resistance to illnesses!

So with my trip to London on Sunday, and flying to Iceland on Monday, I'd also heard on break there was to be a ban on non-essential travel coming up. I just assumed this was one of those Chinese whisper-style rumours, but seeing this thread got me intrigued. "I've still not heard anything from Wizz Air, it must be all good to go still". Such was my thinking. Then I read this thread.

Oh my good grief that was a wake-up call. Oh no, this isn't going to blow over any time soon. Suddenly, the panic buying made sense. I still don't get people's obsession recently with wiping out supplies of tomato ketchup, but the rest of it suddenly made much more sense. The prospect of being stuck at home for 2 weeks, ugh. I get bored on just an afternoon off, especially when the weather's wet and windy. I share a house with 4 other people, so they'd have to 'self-isolate' too, I can't see that going down well.

I absolutely despise panic-buying (again, why the rampage on ketchup last week?! Can someone PLEASE explain that one?!) for any reason, hardly surprising considering I work in a major supermarket. My job's certainly become a lot harder lately, unsurprisingly, and the disrespect we're getting from some people is outrageous. At Christmas time, all one ever hears about is being nice to retail staff, which is all fine and good, but some of the people in my shop on Saturday...I work with some tough cookies, people that aren't phased by much, but the look of horror and despair on their faces was unpleasant. Seriously, that sort of behaviour from shoppers is uncalled for, and I sincerely hope everyone on this forum is being respectful. Be nice to us and we'll do our best to help you. Be vile and we'll do no such thing. Accusing us of hiding stuff in our warehouses for us to have and not for you to buy, oh hell no, that's not on. Not when we can't get our own shopping and have to watch everyone almost literally pull the contents off shelves into trolleys, not even at Christmas time do we have such unsocial shopping...o_O<(:{

If nothing else from that bit above, please be respectful to us lot who have to work around people coughing and sneezing everywhere! We're all under much higher levels of stress already, we don't need anyone else moaning about what's wrong with people, tutting away that the shelves are empty, that we're not doing our best to restock shelves and all the rest of it. We're already using every resource available to do the job, some of us are pulling in as many extra hours as we can endure, physically and mentally. This is normally a quiet time of year for retail, so we're all squeezing in holiday time where we can as that's normally not an issue. We've got people self-isolating, we don't have the manpower to do any better. So please, for crying out loud, spread the word, leave us do our jobs and stop moaning at us!

ANYWAY, as for travel advice, do we yet know when any announcement will be made? I need to plan my 9 days off that begin on Sunday, if I'm not able to leave the country I need to re-plan. If I can't even head to London after all, and I'd have one helluva red-pen fest instead if I can get there but not Iceland, I need to invest in something I can do that doesn't involve sacrificing my holiday time (and yes, some of us have been asked to do that recently to help cover sickness leave!) and allows me to have some fun without risking my or anyone else's health.

The sooner I know what's going on travel wise, the sooner I can get stuff rescheduled. It does appear to be that one of January's late-addition plans to improve my financial situation in 2020 could well end up taking priority over exploring the world o_O At least I'll potentially begin 2021 with the finances to get my last 3 trips done I guess!

With all that said, and yes I know I went on a bit of a retail-related rant, I'm going to try and find a way to boost the spirits up. This thread certainly knocked all the joy at 2 days off out of me...Now get out of my way, I need to panic buy 50 packets of microwaveable rice, 2 billion bottles of ketchup, 25 loaves of bread and heaven only knows how many tins of mushy peas. There's virtually no baked beans or tins of spaghetti left anywhere after alll...:lol::lol::lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Hopefully things won’t get that bad. Obviously there will be a problem if people or businesses start defaulting on loans or payments.

The Bank of England know full well they have to backstop the banks and did inject £300B of liquidity last week the issue is though unless the bankers chuck there rule book away most business dont look viable in the current environment.

The government needs suspend tax/VAT payments and the ability for any other company to force another into bankruptcy.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I would suggest that while printing money is necessary in this crisis, unlike the 2008 one, it needs to be distributed directly to the business affected, rather than expecting the banks to trickle it down as in 2008.

2008 was about a crisis of confidence, whereas in this crisis there are clear sectors of affected businesses that need to be tided over.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
If nothing else from that bit above, please be respectful to us lot who have to work around people coughing and sneezing everywhere! We're all under much higher levels of stress already, we don't need anyone else moaning about what's wrong with people, tutting away that the shelves are empty, that we're not doing our best to restock shelves and all the rest of it. We're already using every resource available to do the job, some of us are pulling in as many extra hours as we can endure, physically and mentally. This is normally a quiet time of year for retail, so we're all squeezing in holiday time where we can as that's normally not an issue. We've got people self-isolating, we don't have the manpower to do any better. So please, for crying out loud, spread the word, leave us do our jobs and stop moaning at us!

The government needs to realise very quickly like NOW that food supply is going to trigger civil disorder if its not managed Retail workers are ESSENTIAL to getting through this as much as NHS, Police etc. Thankyou and your colleagues for being there and whilst some behaviour is clearly unacceptable this is also a side effect in a society thats never known such a problem of food supply In WW2 food wasn't so readily available and people were already used to not having much in the first place so they didnt have to drop down very far this is going to be massive and shopworkers need protecting. So as Gatwick has laid off half its security staff this morning i hope the big supermarkets get hold of this resource very quickly so each store has plnety of muscle. I would also given them limited powers to chuck people out and ban them if there is an abuse.

bramling

Veteran Member
London is said to be the worst in terms of spread, so unless you're out to get it you'd maybe best not.

I do wonder how long it will be before some people decide they’re simply not going to go to work in London on health grounds. If that happens then London could grind to a halt fairly quickly. It only has to get round a few of the Underground’s control rooms for example.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
That requires emergency legislation that doesn't (yet) exist. Boris was saying last week that they're bringing emergency powers legislation in fairly shortly, and it may well be covered under that. He's said he wants to make sure he has proper cross party support before going into parliament, its not something they'll want anyone bumping their gums about in a debate.

It's difficult to be fair, on one hand you have people questioning why, when other European countries have already, we haven't brought in as stringent movement restrictions as soon and on the other hand people who complain about draconian measures limiting civil liberties and so on

hexagon789

Veteran Member
There is nowhere near a consistent approach in "much of the rest of Europe". Some countries, like the Czech Republic, have gone "state of emergency", while others such as the Netherlands are taking a similar response to the UK.

I said 'much of' not all. I appreciate many haven't effectively placed populations on "lock-down".

Mogster

What does “lock down” even mean? People still have to leave the house to go to work, buy food.

mmh

Established Member
It's difficult to be fair, on one hand you have people questioning why, when other European countries have already, we haven't brought in as stringent movement restrictions as soon and on the other hand people who complain about draconian measures limiting civil liberties and so on

Exactly. Often these are the same people.

Darandio

Established Member
The government needs to realise very quickly like NOW that food supply is going to trigger civil disorder if its not managed

The food supply issue is there because of people panic buying, often due to reading full on hyperbole such as this. Yesterday you even suggested that a programme about trains probably wouldn't have aired last night because of the situation surrounding Coronavirus.

Get some perspective.

mmh

Established Member
What does “lock down” even mean? People still have to leave the house to go to work, buy food.

Something I realised today is that there is another essential other than food which people need to leave houses to get - pre-pay electricity and gas meters. Both of ours are. Millions of people have them.

hexagon789

Veteran Member

I think it's being used as a generic/catch-all term. The most strict restrictions still allow people to go out to pharmacies/supermarkets.

Darandio

Established Member
Something I realised today is that there is another essential other than food which people need to leave houses to get - pre-pay electricity and gas meters. Both of ours are. Millions of people have them.

As do we. I'd seen this discussed elsewhere and the common consensus was that people who need to leave the house to top up are behind the curve and should have a smart meter installed so top ups can be done online. It's fairly obvious these people have never experienced the issue of trying to get one, despite stating our interest years ago our supplier just sends us a letter every 6 months to say they still aren't ready to install in our area yet.

Howardh

Established Member
London is said to be the worst in terms of spread, so unless you're out to get it you'd maybe best not.
Is that because it's the most densely populated area and people move around in more confined spaces (eg the tube)?

ValleyLines142

Established Member
I'm currently on my way back from London on the 1850 from Waterloo (Yeovil Pen Mill). I've avoided the tube today and either caught the Overground or walked.

bramling

Veteran Member
I would imagine so.

Presumably the presence of at least five major airports in the immediate vicinity plus the likes of Eurostar doesn’t help, along with a segment of the population which is more international in nature.

Having said that, Hertfordshire is also high on the list of cases, a school near here is being pilloried for the almost unbelievable decision to go ahead with a trip to Italy whilst the situation there was blowing up.

Howardh

Established Member
Presumably the presence of at least five major airports in the immediate vicinity plus the likes of Eurostar doesn’t help, along with a segment of the population which is more international in nature.

Having said that, Hertfordshire is also high on the list of cases, a school near here is being pilloried for the almost unbelievable decision to go ahead with a trip to Italy whilst the situation there was blowing up.
I'm finding that my insurance company doesn't want to know until the government "forces" us not to travel.
My hotel in Brighton is still open, so I can't cancel and get a full refund (and there's the rail tickets too).
Late April I've 2 nights booked near Whitby. Paid for. The B+B's still open so I can't get refunded, although as it's out in the country I still intend to go if still open.
Then there's Ibiza in June, flight and hotel paid for up front. Flight's not (yet) been cancelled - and I expect the hotel will be open.
The way the public who have booked stuff are treated is abysmal, insurers pass you on to your card, your card passes you back to your insurer....this will kill off the tourist industry throughout Europe, who would pay up top when they won't pay out??
Admittedly booking.com does have pay-on-arrival hotels, I wish planes had pay-on-departure fares so when you book your ticket they can take your card number, but no money until you are actually at your destination airport.

trainophile

Established Member
Likewise, we have several trips that will now not take place, with no chance of getting any money back as we foolishly chose the cheapest non-refundable hotel rates to save a few quid, and of course Advance tickets which are our default choice as we couldn't afford so many trips at full ticket price.

The one I am most gutted about was to be our first stay in a Wetherspoons hotel, which we've promised ourselves ever since they started doing accommodation. They are not cheap - £95 per room per night, and we'd booked three nights in two rooms, as it was to be my sister-in-law's birthday treat.

Just have to put it down to rotten luck, and bear in mind that it might turn out to be the least of our worries :( .

Mikey C

Established Member
Tins of spaghetti are about the only tinned foodstuff, other than tins of sliced mushrooms, that's still somewhat easily available in the supermarket I work in :p
When I think of emergency food supplies I want in my cupboard, tinned mushrooms are low down the list!

bramling

Veteran Member
I'm finding that my insurance company doesn't want to know until the government "forces" us not to travel.
My hotel in Brighton is still open, so I can't cancel and get a full refund (and there's the rail tickets too).
Late April I've 2 nights booked near Whitby. Paid for. The B+B's still open so I can't get refunded, although as it's out in the country I still intend to go if still open.
Then there's Ibiza in June, flight and hotel paid for up front. Flight's not (yet) been cancelled - and I expect the hotel will be open.
The way the public who have booked stuff are treated is abysmal, insurers pass you on to your card, your card passes you back to your insurer....this will kill off the tourist industry throughout Europe, who would pay up top when they won't pay out??
Admittedly booking.com does have pay-on-arrival hotels, I wish planes had pay-on-departure fares so when you book your ticket they can take your card number, but no money until you are actually at your destination airport.

I’m afraid with the best will in the world I find it hard to have sympathy for people who have chosen cheaper non-refundable rates. We nearly always pay for the flexible rates in order to work around the British weather, which over the years has cost us a lot more. For those losing money having chosen a cheaper rate, remember all the times when you took the gamble and it paid off...

Tom B

Established Member
It is fair to say that many, when making such bookings, would have been thinking of things such as their leave at work being declined, or perhaps breaking their leg the week before, and weighing up those sorts of prospects - not an international pandemic.

krus_aragon

Established Member
That's one that I'd twigged this evening on the way home. Grabbed the fobs, bunged a load of credit on them. One less thing to worry about for a while...

On the plus side, gas meter credit isn't going to sell out any time soon! :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member

Yeah one of my squad that came in this afternoon said London was probably not wise. Didn't believe her if I'm honest!

The government needs to realise very quickly like NOW that food supply is going to trigger civil disorder if its not managed Retail workers are ESSENTIAL to getting through this as much as NHS, Police etc. Thankyou and your colleagues for being there and whilst some behaviour is clearly unacceptable this is also a side effect in a society thats never known such a problem of food supply In WW2 food wasn't so readily available and people were already used to not having much in the first place so they didnt have to drop down very far this is going to be massive and shopworkers need protecting. So as Gatwick has laid off half its security staff this morning i hope the big supermarkets get hold of this resource very quickly so each store has plnety of muscle. I would also given them limited powers to chuck people out and ban them if there is an abuse.

I'm glad someone is grateful! I have calmed down quite a bit since earlier, thankfully, but having also been to my workplace to stock up on microwaveable rice before it's too late (I nearly missed out on my secondary choice, missed my first choice as it was) it's going to be challenging for the next few days. However my major panic buying will not begin until the coffee starts running out, then it'll be a riot to grab all the jars I can :lol:

Tins of spaghetti are about the only tinned foodstuff, other than tins of sliced mushrooms, that's still somewhat easily available in the supermarket I work in :p

We haven't had the mushrooms in ages, sounds like your supermarket is fortunate to still have stock! Send it to Hereford if you don't want it!

I’m afraid with the best will in the world I find it hard to have sympathy for people who have chosen cheaper non-refundable rates. We nearly always pay for the flexible rates in order to work around the British weather, which over the years has cost us a lot more. For those losing money having chosen a cheaper rate, remember all the times when you took the gamble and it paid off...

Oh aren't you charming there. We can't all afford flexible rate rooms, I sure can't. I don't 'gamble' the room rate, I suspect most of us don't!

Definitely regretting booking the non-refundable place in Iceland, that's nearly £63 lost. Just in terms of hotel ching, not to mention Advances, I've lost a fair bit of money. Two different easyHotel bookings that I'm pretty sure were on low rates will be lost. Why book a room at say £40 on a flexible rate if you can book it for say £28, when at the time of booking you know you have the time off work and you fully intend to be staying there. That £12 in this example could be used fair more sensibly! Such a thing is going to backfire on me, clearly, on this trip.

Someone did suggest there's going to be a drop in confidence in the tourism industry in the future. I'd agree with that, unless there's an actual effort made to help refund people who've paid out months in advance for their travels who are now being told not to go.

Ooh I'm getting wound up again here...<(

cactustwirly

Established Member
Yeah one of my squad that came in this afternoon said London was probably not wise. Didn't believe her if I'm honest!

I'm glad someone is grateful! I have calmed down quite a bit since earlier, thankfully, but having also been to my workplace to stock up on microwaveable rice before it's too late (I nearly missed out on my secondary choice, missed my first choice as it was) it's going to be challenging for the next few days. However my major panic buying will not begin until the coffee starts running out, then it'll be a riot to grab all the jars I can :lol:

We haven't had the mushrooms in ages, sounds like your supermarket is fortunate to still have stock! Send it to Hereford if you don't want it!

Oh aren't you charming there. We can't all afford flexible rate rooms, I sure can't. I don't 'gamble' the room rate, I suspect most of us don't!

Definitely regretting booking the non-refundable place in Iceland, that's nearly £63 lost. Just in terms of hotel ching, not to mention Advances, I've lost a fair bit of money. Two different easyHotel bookings that I'm pretty sure were on low rates will be lost. Why book a room at say £40 on a flexible rate if you can book it for say £28, when at the time of booking you know you have the time off work and you fully intend to be staying there. That £12 in this example could be used fair more sensibly! Such a thing is going to backfire on me, clearly, on this trip.

Someone did suggest there's going to be a drop in confidence in the tourism industry in the future. I'd agree with that, unless there's an actual effort made to help refund people who've paid out months in advance for their travels who are now being told not to go.

Ooh I'm getting wound up again here...<(

Do you not have travel insurance?

Status
Not open for further replies.