• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Govia get Thameslink Franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minstral25

Established Member
Big morning at one station in particular, prep already started and unit in place. Looking forward to it!

I guess Blackfriars as 319 009 was in platform 3 looking clean (shock?) and had GTR Thameslink logos.

There was a promise by twitter of "afreshstart" at Blackfriars this morning but other than the unit and a big crowd of revenue collectors it looked pretty much as it did last week.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

radamfi

Established Member
Unless the off peak singles are slashed in price, that'll mean an off peak (day? it's unclear which is meant, though on many flows on FCC there's nothing but day returns) return will be more expensive.

I would accept a small increase in the return fare to accommodate the singles being half price. When Oyster was rolled out to National Rail, there wasn't a hike in off-peak singles. In the past, it was a prerequisite to abolish returns to introduce PAYG smartcard fares, but Southern's KeyGo manages to keep the existing fare structure by using end of day processing.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I don't think it has been mentioned yet that the Southern 'mixing deck' now has the three brand logos, Southern, Thameslink and Great Northern along the top...

Sorry it was mentioned earlier, just seen it...

Last edited:

talldave

Established Member
When I saw the colour scheme, I thought I was logging on to buy tickets for Wimbledon Centre Court!!

SamanthaJ1989

Hmm on thing I do wonder is if in March the Southern logo and/or livery (preferably both) will go.

I don't like the current Southern livery or logo at all and I think it's not modern enough. My personal opinion is it looks too much like the railways of old (nothing against railway heratage, preserved lines, railtours and the like and they have their place in the world) but I think something that says new and modern would be better

I'd love to see them take up a livery/logo of similar variety to the current new TL/GN variety

physics34

Established Member
Hmm on thing I do wonder is if in March the Southern logo and/or livery (preferably both) will go.

I don't like the current Southern livery or logo at all and I think it's not modern enough. My personal opinion is it looks too much like the railways of old (nothing against railway heratage, preserved lines, railtours and the like and they have their place in the world) but I think something that says new and modern would be better

I'd love to see them take up a livery/logo of similar variety to the current new TL/GN variety

They've already said the branding is staying cos it's respected!

talldave

Established Member
They've already said the branding is staying cos it's respected!

The words "respect" and "Southern" rarely appear in the same sentence in my experience. In reality, it's cheaper to leave things as they are and, to be honest, as long as the trains turn up I really don't care what colour they are. I'd rather they invested in staff training.... now there's an area they're not respected for!!!

physics34

Established Member
The words "respect" and "Southern" rarely appear in the same sentence in my experience. In reality, it's cheaper to leave things as they are and, to be honest, as long as the trains turn up I really don't care what colour they are. I'd rather they invested in staff training.... now there's an area they're not respected for!!!

true mate, but on a personal level, i think 10 yhears of the same livery is enough and id like to have seen southern change it (when units are due a repaint) to something different but keeping the green in some way shape of form. THe light/mint green on southern livery to me isnt too nice.

londonboi198o5

On Moderation

bengley

Established Member
now that livery i do like :D

selhurst did do a good job cleaning that ;)

so is the southern green and white livery staying i cant stand that colour scheme also whilst at ECR last night the PA was still announcing the trains as southern rather than thameslink :( i was looking forward to hearing it for the first time :)

that's because southern is southern. FCC is now Thameslink

Class377/5

Established Member
319009 this morning folks

WP_20140915_07_53_53_Pro.jpg by Sparkyscrum, on Flickr

WP_20140915_07_54_11_Pro.jpg by Sparkyscrum, on Flickr

now that livery i do like :D

selhurst did do a good job cleaning that ;)

so is the southern green and white livery staying i cant stand that colour scheme also whilst at ECR last night the PA was still announcing the trains as southern rather than thameslink :( i was looking forward to hearing it for the first time :)

Southern is a separate company from Thameslink until July 2015, even then the name Southern is staying.

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

'Southern' is still very much the main TOC through East Croydon, that'll be why. When they actually merge with GTR in July 2015, they'll belong to the same overall franchise, but will still run as, and be branded as, 'Southern', which is one of the four 'customer brands' that the overall franchise will use. It's been explained many times so far in this thread, with various references to the GoVia announcements, presentations etc.

So that leaves the existing green livery, and if anyone thinks that will change just because it's 'about 10 years old' - then dream on, is my opinion...

Saint66

Do we know if there's many other 319's with the TL branding applied already? Or is it just one so far?

lev441

Looks all new and shiny.. wonder how long it will last...

Is it just me or does anyone think that the Thameslink logo/branding (or lack of) and website are a bit underwhelming?

The old Thameslink livery (blue with yellow stripes) was one of the smartest liveries post privatisation.. But then again these are just my opinions

fusionblue

So at this point it's a race to see whether Thameslink rejig their 319s into the new livery faster than SET finishes the 375/networkers into the new colours, which they started years ago (and the 376s still havent been touched) :D

Last edited:

Manchester77

Established Member
Oh so the 'new' livery just seems to be the neutral white we've seen applied to the 319s which have been for exams with a big Thameslink logo slapped on the side!

Has any GN branding been applied?

21C101

Established Member
Oh so the 'new' livery just seems to be the neutral white we've seen applied to the 319s which have been for exams with a big Thameslink logo slapped on the side!

I would imagine that as the 319s are disappearing quite soon with some gone already it was felt pointless and a waste of money to do anything more.

I guess we will have to wait for the class 700s for a proper new livery.

The main thing is that THAMESLINK is on the side again. FCC lost a lot of goodwill from day one for dropping the iconic Thameslink brand, although to be fair they did improve operating performance over the franchise.

I suspect though the groupwide 0% pay rise fiasco a couple of years back which resulted in the drivers deciding they didn't fancy working rest days and overtime anymore for two months, resulting in an emergency timetable with about a third of the service missing for weeks, sealed FCCs fate.

Class377/5

Established Member
Do we know if there's many other 319's with the TL branding applied already? Or is it just one so far?

Just one so far. No doubt others will join soon.

Pretty much. Surprised tbh.

I would imagine that as the 319s are disappearing quite soon with some gone already it was felt pointless and a waste of money to do anything more.

I guess we will have to wait for the class 700s for a proper new livery.

The main thing is that THAMESLINK is on the side again. FCC lost a lot of goodwill from day one for dropping the iconic Thameslink brand, although to be fair they did improve operating performance over the franchise.

I suspect though the groupwide 0% pay rise fiasco a couple of years back which resulted in the drivers deciding they didn't fancy working rest days and overtime anymore for two months, resulting in an emergency timetable with about a third of the service missing for weeks, sealed FCCs fate.

IIRC Thameslink trademark belongs to Govia hence First dropping it.

The drivers issue where 50% of the service ran for a few weeks had nothing to do with the end of FCC. And it wasn't a completely over 0% pay rise but other issues as well.

swtandgw

true mate, but on a personal level, i think 10 yhears of the same livery is enough and id like to have seen southern change it (when units are due a repaint) to something different but keeping the green in some way shape of form. THe light/mint green on southern livery to me isnt too nice.
I probably think that, even when the Southern brand is retained, chances are is that GTR would want to standardise the corporate branding to make the franchise more seamlessly integrated as TSGN is supposed to be integral.

That said, I wonder when GTR will standardise all the signage across their operated stations, seeing as the signage on the Thameslink and Great Northern portions are now non-standard.

21C101

Established Member
IIRC Thameslink trademark belongs to Govia hence First dropping it.

I'm not convinced, as "Thameslink" was widely used in FCC literature to describe the cross London service, moreso after the first couple of years. Also it predated privatisation so if anyone owned the trademark I would have thought it was the government.

While the 0% fiasco wasn't the official reason for the loss of the franchise, it can't have helped.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I probably think that, even when the Southern brand is retained, chances are is that GTR would want to standardise the corporate branding to make the franchise more seamlessly integrated as TSGN is supposed to be integral.

That said, I wonder when GTR will standardise all the signage across their operated stations, seeing as the signage on the Thameslink and Great Northern portions are now non-standard.

Excellent, can we have Southern target's up here too :D

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I'm not convinced, as "Thameslink" was widely used in FCC literature to describe the cross London service, moreso after the first couple of years. Also it predated privatisation so if anyone owned the trademark I would have thought it was the government.

While the 0% fiasco wasn't the official reason for the loss of the franchise, it can't have helped.

The Strategic Rail Authority trademarked Thameslink, Thameslink City Flier and Thameslink Metro brand names. Can't tell you about current 'ownership' but can be pretty certain it ain't FirstGroup.

387star

On Moderation
What are the chances of thameslink or great northern trainee driver jobs in the next few years?

Will the telephone interview be dropped now first no longer run it.. Presumably replaced with a customer service questionnaire
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
FCC still have a youtube account

Class377/5

Established Member
The Strategic Rail Authority trademarked Thameslink, Thameslink City Flier and Thameslink Metro brand names. Can't tell you about current 'ownership' but can be pretty certain it ain't FirstGroup.

Or Govia, as claimed.

It could be SRA or who ever it passed onto but First could never have used it, well not without paying like Southern does for its logo.

Really? Is it still up?

Nope. I'm sure I downloaded a copy.

physics34

Established Member
So at this point it's a race to see whether Thameslink rejig their 319s into the new livery faster than SET finishes the 375/networkers into the new colours, which they started years ago (and the 376s still havent been touched) :D

I don't know what is going on over on that side but I don't understand the way some units have had the grey taken off, some haven't etc etc

Status
Not open for further replies.