• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Western Electrification Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

QueensCurve

Established Member
This section was done during the September blockade which included the start of the Bristol Parkway Platform 1 works. Haven't seen anything much happen here the last few weeks, apart from installing the gantrys on the M4 bridge. Hopefully more progress over the holiday period

Nice to see the layout of the new Platform 1 developing on the ground.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jimm

Established Member
Am I right in hearing electrification will almost reach Didcot from January? Traction changeover signs are being installed at Didcot East!! If so, how will the 387's reach Didcot Parkway? According to Network Rail this is the situation... Dicot Parkway station is situated at 53 miles and 10 chains!!

IETs will be operating to Oxford and the Cotswold Line from January 2, and there will be a bit of a problem if they fail to switch power modes at Didcot East, as there aren't any overhead wires up the Didcot avoiding line.

Equally, when it comes to non-stop services heading flat-out towards Swindon, they presumably want to make sure the changeover is completed well before the end of the live section of overhead wires west of the station.

Under current plans Swindon gets switched on as part of Didcot - Cardiff/Corsham switch on next December.
I did a return trip from London Paddington to Cardiff yesterday, 15/12/17, I have not got positive news I am afraid for London-Cardiff to be live by this time next year. First of all there is still no wiring on Platform 2 at Paddington.
The following is all looking at the up-lines only, from Didcot there is wiring all the way to about MP74 with the exception of the Steventon Gap, there are still some masts missing here near the infamous bridge and the two level crossings, also there are a couple of gaps between Uffingham MP 66 and MP74 and the A/T cable is not complete in quiet a few places west of Didcot.
Talking about the Steventon Bridge, according to the Steventon Oxfordshire Village Web, the Vale of White Horse District Council will make a decision in January or February 2018 about the bridge's fate.
From about MP74 to Swindon station nearly all the masts are now up including Swindon station itself.
Onto to Wootton Bassett, I would say about 80-85% of the steel sticks are up, then the South Wales main line, nothing much until after the M4 bridge which is about MP84, then for the next 10 miles up to just short of the Hullavington passing loops there is wiring all the way, the loops look like they will be wired as masts and support arms are ready for wiring in the loops.
There are more masts and support arms to just short of Alderton Tunnel, after this more piles for a few miles until they they fizzle out until Westerleigh Junction then mores piles and quite a lot of steelwork near Bristol Parkway station.
From Bristol Parkway to the Seven Tunnel I would say about 70% of the masts are up.
Into South Wales and there is nothing from the Welsh side of the tunnel until about 1 mile east of Llanwern, the piles reappear and there are quite a few masts alongside the steel works, the interesting thing that I noticed is that the up relief has masts and with cross arms fitted to single track on the bridge that crosses the main line at the eastern end and a few more masts further west, so it does look like the relief lines may be wired, who knows.
Then again nothing much from the western end of Llanwern, through Newport until a few miles further west to just east of Marshfield where the piles, mostly with masts appear again, this goes onto until a few miles east of Cardiff and then nothing again through to the Welsh Capital.
So as it stands at present, from about MP74 through to Cardiff which is MP145.5 miles there is only 10 miles of wiring completed, plus about another 7-8 miles of solid catenary installed through the various tunnels on route. There is a lot of piling still to be done and of course the masts to go with them so I really cannot see any electric trains running to Cardiff until late 2019 at the earliest at this rate, never mind at the end of next year, Bristol Parkway is a good bet though for end of next year if they sort out the nonsense at Steventon, but I did see somewhere that Network Rail will not start any work on the bridge until spring 2019 even if they got permission tomorrow.

Last edited:

The47Wanderer

I've noticed some chords off the electrification section bit get some the poles(? Vertical bits of the Gantry) in place for electrification (e.g leaving BPW to Yate, the poles go on for some while), why is this? As BPW-Yate is getting no electrification, why the need (among other places)?

Its an overlap in case electric trains are routed the wrong way. Theres wires onto the Marlow branch at Maidehead. And there are piles around the curve towards Gloucester at Swindon

absolutelymilk

Established Member
I've noticed some chords off the electrification section bit get some the poles(? Vertical bits of the Gantry) in place for electrification (e.g leaving BPW to Yate, the poles go on for some while), why is this? As BPW-Yate is getting no electrification, why the need (among other places)?
As well as being in case of an electric train routed the wrong way, it also means that if that branch is later wired, then they don't have to mess around with the junction and close the main line.

59CosG95

Established Member
Into South Wales and there is nothing from the Welsh side of the tunnel until about 1 mile east of Llanwern, the piles reappear and there are quite a few masts alongside the steel works, the interesting thing that I noticed is that the up relief has masts and with cross arms fitted to single track on the bridge that crosses the main line at the eastern end and a few more masts further west, so it does look like the relief lines may be wired, who knows.
Then again nothing much from the western end of Llanwern, through Newport until a few miles further west to just east of Marshfield where the piles, mostly with masts appear again, this goes onto until a few miles east of Cardiff and then nothing again through to the Welsh Capital.
So as it stands at present, from about MP74 through to Cardiff which is MP145.5 miles there is only 10 miles of wiring completed, plus about another 7-8 miles of solid catenary installed through the various tunnels on route. There is a lot of piling still to be done and of course the masts to go with them so I really cannot see any electric trains running to Cardiff until late 2019 at the earliest at this rate.

Strangely enough, I saw an image on Facebook this afternoon of an encouraging sign... (clue: it's not the 150!)
The masts and booms must either have escaped your notice or have been put up over the weekend. They're over P0/P1 if that helps.

Also, regarding P2 at Paddington, it seems highly likely that'll get strung up over the Christmas possession of everywhere east of Slough.

Attachments

• 25395893_10154954210620894_2698886682254694456_n.jpg
    25395893_10154954210620894_2698886682254694456_n.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 166

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Strangely enough, I saw an image on Facebook this afternoon of an encouraging sign... (clue: it's not the 150!)
The masts and booms must either have escaped your notice or have been put up over the weekend. They're over P0/P1 if that helps.

Also, regarding P2 at Paddington, it seems highly likely that'll get strung up over the Christmas possession of everywhere east of Slough.

I really do not get why in a station with very low speeds they need masts that strong and big and ugly. Crazy

59CosG95

Established Member
I really do not get why in a station with very low speeds they need masts that strong and big and ugly. Crazy
I agree, it beggars belief from an engineering perspective! It may well be easier to add more of an existing, over-designed type to an order for masts/booms etc than to request a bespoke design with its own unique idiosyncrasies - doubtless cheaper to design than a bespoke one too.

Non Multi

You should only be encouraged when the small part steelwork is all fitted, then it's ready for the wires.

jyte

I agree, it beggars belief from an engineering perspective! It may well be easier to add more of an existing, over-designed type to an order for masts/booms etc than to request a bespoke design with its own unique idiosyncrasies - doubtless cheaper to design than a bespoke one too.

I imagine it benefits from economies of scale, even though it does look ridiculous here yes.

Severn40

Given large parts of the Cardiff Central is a grade 2 building (with exceptions such as P0 and P8) it does make you wonder about the new masts

3973EXL

Established Member
Newbury Tuesday, new footbridge construction now above platform level.

DSC00353.JPG DSC00354.JPG DSC00356.JPG

Newbury FB Friday.

DSC00357.JPG DSC00358.JPG DSC00359.JPG DSC00361.JPG DSC00362.JPG DSC00363.JPG DSC00364.JPG

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Given large parts of the Cardiff Central is a grade 2 building (with exceptions such as P0 and P8) it does make you wonder about the new masts
It won't be the first Grade 2 station to be wired, NR will presumably have an idea what they can or can't do based on precedent...

driver_m

Established Member
It won't be the first Grade 2 station to be wired, NR will presumably have an idea what they can or can't do based on precedent...

Earlestown and Rainhill are both grade 2 listed and recently wired on the Chat Moss in NW England. TTC's and headspans were used there. Plenty of pics on the NW wiring thread as a comparison.

I was at Cardiff Station on a freezing cold night last Friday and I am sure that steelwork was not there, there was a pacer in platform 0 at the time, anyway that is one less to put up then!, thanks for pointing this out.

gsnedders

Established Member
Heck, an obvious example of a Grade A listed station in Scotland (the equivalent of Grade 1 in E&W) is Glasgow Queen Street, so it's not like NR haven't had to deal with even stricter limitations recently.

SwindonBert

From about MP74 to Swindon station nearly all the masts are now up including Swindon station itself.

Platform 1 has masts but I didn't notice any on platforms 3 & 4 on Saturday, unless they're going to do something clever with the roofing.
Presumably platform 2 won't be electrified

59CosG95

Established Member
I was at Cardiff Station on a freezing cold night last Friday and I am sure that steelwork was not there, there was a pacer in platform 0 at the time, anyway that is one less to put up then!, thanks for pointing this out.
Not a problem! Not being from Cardiff myself I haven't had a chance to see changes on the daily, but pics of the masts have now been uploaded onto WNXX (for those who use it) - only a matter of time before more appear I suppose.

59CosG95

Established Member
Some shots this morning of new/replacement steelwork going up on the approach to Paddington (mainly east of the Royal Oak LUL dive-under). I assume this is tied into the wiring of P1/2?
Images 1 to 9
  1. A Twin Track Cantilever (looks like UK1 style) ready to replace two Mk3b single track cantilever masts.
  2. A multi-track gantry near the A40 viaduct, which appears to be replacing a headspan portal. Note the bagged signals.
  3. A new TTC with Series 1 SPS installed (but not yet in position).
  4. Another view of the TTC in image 3.
  5. The next TTC along from the once in images 3 & 4; only has one SPS arm rather than two.
  6. The next TTC in along from that in image 5; no SPS yet.
  7. A new section of tubular portal frame appears to have been bolted onto the existing infrastructure; two Series 1 SPS arms are hanging from it.
  8. As with image 7, but one portal to the east. (Can also be seen in the background of image 7)
  9. A similar layout to images 7 & 8, but lacking in SPS arms. Note the cherry picker RRV, an indication that SPS may be up soon.

Attachments

• IMG_7476.jpg
    685.8 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_7477.jpg
    682.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_7479.jpg
    652.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_7480.jpg
    742.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_7481.jpg
    608.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_7482.jpg
    695 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_7483.jpg
    604.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_7484.jpg
    650.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_7485.jpg
    620.5 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

59CosG95

Established Member
Images 10 to 16 of the above post
  1. (10) Same as Images 7 & 8 in post 1, new section of portal bolted on with SPS attached.
  2. (11) A new mast, possibly for a TTC or portal assembly seems to be taking shape. Perhaps this may be to supersede the OLE stub-ends currently there?
  3. (12) More of the same in Image 11, but note the two UK1-style TTCs in the background awaiting SPS.
  4. (13) End of the old mail platform at Paddington; two wire tensioners in place on freshly erected masts.
  5. (14) Further down the mail platform; TTC with tension weights & SPS (partially) complete.
  6. (15) Closer still to Paddington; fresh SPS (seemingly?) all wired up, hanging from an existing portal frame.
  7. (16) Almost in the station now; newish looking SPS up (not sure if it is new or not!)

Attachments

• IMG_7486.jpg
    655.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_7487.jpg
    687.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_7488.jpg
    710.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_7489.jpg
    586.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_7490.jpg
    704.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_7491.jpg
    668.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_7492.jpg
    592 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

jyte

Couple of things I noticed on a ride from Exeter - Paddington this afternoon.

1. Lots of droppers and sps on the B&H, even what I think is a return wire
  2. A 387 that I'm 90% sure was moving into the depot under its own power (so yay)
  3. Lots of new steelwork as 59CosG95 just posted, including around paddington (both for Crossrail and plat 1/2 wires and electrification of the old through roads/carriage sidings) and a surprising amount east of Ealing Broadway where it looks like a LOT of headspans are due for replacement!

Banana

Those Paddington pics (thanks 59cos). It looks like heavy scaffolding. I struggle to understand why the current OHLE hasn't just melted away under the current weather.

II

IETs will be operating to Oxford and the Cotswold Line from January 2, and there will be a bit of a problem if they fail to switch power modes at Didcot East, as there aren't any overhead wires up the Didcot avoiding line.

Equally, when it comes to non-stop services heading flat-out towards Swindon, they presumably want to make sure the changeover is completed well before the end of the live section of overhead wires west of the station.

Will IET's that are stopping at Didcot and heading towards London change over modes whilst stopped at the station rather than a couple of miles east of the station at the changeover point? There would be a time saving in doing so as they could of course make use of full electric acceleration from a stand, and of course 387s will be using the wires from the station.

jyte

Will IET's that are stopping at Didcot and heading towards London change over modes whilst stopped at the station rather than a couple of miles east of the station at the changeover point? There would be a time saving in doing so as they could of course make use of full electric acceleration from a stand, and of course 387s will be using the wires from the station.
My understanding from past posts is that trains heading west will use as much of the wiring as possible, and trains heading east will raise pans in the platforms BUT I can understand why if all IET traction through didcot is done on diesel.

FGW_DID

Established Member
Couple of things I noticed on a ride from Exeter - Paddington this afternoon.

1. Lots of droppers and sps on the B&H, even what I think is a return wire
  2. A 387 that I'm 90% sure was moving into the depot under its own power (so yay)
  3. Lots of new steelwork as 59CosG95 just posted, including around paddington (both for Crossrail and plat 1/2 wires and electrification of the old through roads/carriage sidings) and a surprising amount east of Ealing Broadway where it looks like a LOT of headspans are due for replacement!

See my post #6100

All of Reading TCD is now live (with the exception of the Underframe Clean Facility due to the Wheel Lathe project) so the 387s have been buzzing round a lot.
They can only run off depot under ‘test conditions’ so for the moment are still being dragged by 57 between West Ealing LMD & Reading TCD.

Status
Not open for further replies.