• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Western Livery

Status
Not open for further replies.

59CosG95

Established Member
To be fair to FGW, half the reason their sets are in a constant state of flux is that they've been sending trailers to Wabtec Kilmarnock for refits over the last deity-of-choice-knows-how-many-years! Once the GWR repaints begin, hopefully things should settle down. (This is some shameless optimism on my part, I know)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jopsuk

Veteran Member
any refit at the moment should be the last of their service on the Great Western, surely? The next time they will need serious work is when they're withdrawn and sent to be transformed into the Scotrail pocket rockets.

CC 72100

Established Member
I'd be interested to see if anything/ what is being done to the interior - a lot of the HSTs that I've used recently appeared to have new carpets that looked fresh and still a bit spongey as opposed to being worn. And I'm talking about regular coaches, not the recent conversions or first class ones.

cactustwirly

Established Member
I'd be interested to see if anything/ what is being done to the interior - a lot of the HSTs that I've used recently appeared to have new carpets that looked fresh and still a bit spongey as opposed to being worn. And I'm talking about regular coaches, not the recent conversions or first class ones.

Perhaps it's the launch set, hence the refresh. The rest will probably stay the same until the IEPs arrive.

83G/84D

Established Member
Didn't you know? They're replacing the London end powercar with a retractioned 442 and the country end powercar with a 67...

In all seriousness, if my sources are to be believed 187 & 188 should be undergoing paint treatment shortly.

43187 & 43188 are shown at Old Oak Common and have no work allocated to them for today.

CC 72100

Established Member
Perhaps it's the launch set, hence the refresh. The rest will probably stay the same until the IEPs arrive.

A good suggestion but two problems - 1) it was the same carpet as before, just a new one of the same design.

2) this isn't just an isolated set I'm on about, but almost all of the HSTs I've been on in the last 3 months. Which would seem a bit pointless if it's then going to be ripped out for a GWR interior...

cactustwirly

Established Member
A good suggestion but two problems - 1) it was the same carpet as before, just a new one of the same design.

2) this isn't just an isolated set I'm on about, but almost all of the HSTs I've been on in the last 3 months. Which would seem a bit pointless if it's then going to be ripped out for a GWR interior...

I meant that the GWR liveried set was the launch. And the rest of the fleet retaining the same design.

fgwrich

Established Member
More confusion as a rake of Mk3s returned from Kilmarnock yesterday with most Mk3s in Plain Blue + Red Doors with No Dynamic Lines. Will they be applied at Laira or are we going to see another interim livery I wonder?

irish_rail

Established Member
Having watched one of the companies latest videos to staff about the GWR rebrand, it seems to suggest (without explicitly saying it) that most of the stock will remain looking the same.
The fact the HST set came back to Laira in blue yesterday seems to support this, I guess LA15 and 43188 will go green for the launch on sept 20th, but it perhaps seems unlikely much more HST stock will be repainted....:cry:

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
Having watched one of the companies latest videos to staff about the GWR rebrand, it seems to suggest (without explicitly saying it) that most of the stock will remain looking the same.
The fact the HST set came back to Laira in blue yesterday seems to support this, I guess LA15 and 43188 will go green for the launch on sept 20th, but it perhaps seems unlikely much more HST stock will be repainted....:cry:

I did hear, though painting of vehicles isn't something I know much about, that Kilmarnock has sufficient blue paint to finish the HST overhaul/refurbishment work, that nobody was prepared to sign off on replacement green paint being ordered and the blue paint being disposed of, and that they might be prepared to vinyl HST sets instead as this would be the cheapest way to get HST sets into the green livery.

The repainting is needed under the lease agreement with the ROSCO, so can't be avoided. The green vinyl plan was to be subject to a business case, but quite how you could have a business case for unnecessary livery application, I don't know.

I dread to think how many miles of electrification we've burned through in paint, vinyl, logos, seat covers, posters, designers and advertising since 1994.

387star

On Moderation
My local station has received an upgrade less than a year ago, and the canopies to the bike shelters are in FGW blue. I'm wondering if they'll just be left, leaving a mixture of FGW blue and new GWR green.

Some stations have the same name boards that Wessex Trains installed but the Wessex Trains part have been taped over - In some cases the tape is coming off.

Also, some stations are in like a light orange/terracotta and beige. I'm not sure which company implemented this?

Warminster is incredibly smart now praying romsey will be next not sure it has seen a paint brush in twenty years although it is green,,

Would laugh if they focussed painting dean and dunbridge green

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Warminster is incredibly smart now praying romsey will be next not sure it has seen a paint brush in twenty years although it is green,,

Would laugh if they focussed painting dean and dunbridge green

That wouldn't be a problem would it? SWT's Woolston has a fairly new green colour scheme...

Established Member
This picture has been on twitter this morning, courtesy of RVEL, showing unbranded HST power car 43188 in the new livery.

Attachments

• 43188.jpg
    43188.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 376

The47Wanderer

As long as the "GWR" branding is big, and not piddly small like I've seen in some CGI/Train sim pictures, this should be good :cake:

irish_rail

Established Member
Yes , I rather like the XC/East cost style front end, which I think looks more sleek and modern than the way the yellow is painted onto the FGW PCs.
Looking forward to getting this back on patch!:D

83G/84D

Established Member
Saw one of the green mk3 HST coaches in Lipson sidings (Laira depot) this morning with white stripe and white GWR branding. Looked pretty smart actually! Looked far better (even in poor light) than the plain green unbranded ones.
Sorry no pics because I was driving!

There were five coaches there all as you specify this afternoon when I passed on the train. I tried to get some photo's but there were bushes / trees in the way.

Last edited:

XCTurbostar

Established Member
This livery has yet to make me excited. A side from being probably one of the the last new HST liveries. I'll have to see if this one will grow on me.

Thanks,
Ross

Julian G

Established Member
Noticed a HST earlier that had some of the carriages without the Dynamic lines. [I think it was on the 1445 Pad-Swansea or 1447 Pad-Old Oak]

Townsend Hook

I think its wonderful that all GWR trains will be green carriages hauled (in the case of HSTs and the sleepers) by green locos. FGW are painting their stock in the colours of the premier big four railway, the Southern :)

fgwrich

Established Member
Noticed a HST earlier that had some of the carriages without the Dynamic lines. [I think it was on the 1445 Pad-Swansea or 1447 Pad-Old Oak]

Some of the Mk3s have started to come back from Kilmarnock without the Dynamic Lines on - Hopefully not to end up being sticky back plastic-d into Green but it's sounding like a possibility.

Phillip has posted an interesting post a few posts above potentially explaining the situation. I wonder what else will come back in FGW Golden Wonder Blue until First pay Kilmarnock for more drab GWR green?

jj1314

Some of the Mk3s have started to come back from Kilmarnock without the Dynamic Lines on - Hopefully not to end up being sticky back plastic-d into Green but it's sounding like a possibility.

Phillip has posted an interesting post a few posts above potentially explaining the situation. I wonder what else will come back in FGW Golden Wonder Blue until First pay Kilmarnock for more drab GWR green?

I wonder how close the plain blue matches that of the Scotrail "Saltire" livery and suspect it's all vinyl for the rest of the fleet.

irish_rail

Established Member
Empty stock 5Z40 to run Saturday morning , 09.20 off Penzance Long Rock depot, apparently consisting of a green 57 loco plus all green GWR sleeper set. Running empty to Paddington for a photo shoot......

superalbs

Established Member
Empty stock 5Z40 to run Saturday morning , 09.20 off Penzance Long Rock depot, apparently consisting of a green 57 loco plus all green GWR sleeper set. Running empty to Paddington for a photo shoot......

Is it branded, like the HST set?

Status
Not open for further replies.