• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

gtr/1404

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

baz962

Established Member
Ah im doing 1404 I had paper tests two weeks ago got pc tests and mmi same day tuesday coming

pafff

Hi all.

Just had my 2nd stage in Watford on Friday. There were 5 of us and all passed the computerised tests and had MMI afterwards. They won't tell you the results of the MMI straightaway, though. Now we need to wait between a few days and a few weeks till GTR contact us directly and invite for DMI or thank for applying.

All of us were not really sure if we would pass the computerised tests.It was pretty tough (especially square test) so don't get discouraged too soon ;)
Good luck guys!

baz962

Established Member
Hi pafff im in on tuesday how did you find joystick was it ok did you go out of the lines. I am most worried about mmi did you think it went well ? well done for passing and good luck for mmi

pafff

Hi pafff im in on tuesday how did you find joystick was it ok did you go out of the lines. I am most worried about mmi did you think it went well ? well done for passing and good luck for mmi

Cheers baz!

Joysticks feel completely different than tests that you can practice on keyboard. They are very sensitive. You actually do 10 rounds on the same shape. Of course I went out of the lines a few times. I finished it first and just saw other guys doing it much slower and more precisely. I was afraid that I had sacrificed accuracy for speed but luckily it went well.
As far as MMI is concerned: I think it was allright but you never know. I hope the biggest sift out was on the 1st stage and those who passed it will eventually get the job :)

Good luck again and let us know how it went!

baz962

Established Member
Yes I will mate also on the joysticks did you know if the guys doing it slower passed lol I use a joystick at work to operate cctv and I have practised a bit using either hand and I have been a gamer all my life so all those nights on x box, playstation and all the other consoles I used to have may not have been a wasted life after all lol

pafff

What was the written comm test like? Straight forward?

You are to write a report on the basis of cartoon story. But this one is not pass/ fail so no need to worry. I was a bit afraid of recognition test with traffic pictures but it's easier than the one from how2become as you are given same set of answers to choose from (types of vehicles or pedestrians) for each picture. The vigilance test with a square was pretty tiring: you need to stay focused for half an hour. As I said, all 5 of us passed so whether you stress speed or accuracy with joysticks, you should be fine!

baz962

Established Member
Thanks pafff im trying to stay calm i think waiting for mmi result might kill me lol

Sim

Had confirmation of my dmi date. Good luck to those still waiting to hear.
I did ask about the depot and the only thing they could confirm is it won't be kings cross.
I know it was posted earlier about the depots, but what other depots are classed as south routes as I live central London?
Any info would be appreciated.

baz962

Established Member
I believe there are depots at hitchin cambridge and peterborough for nothern- south routes not sure about london I just googled and thameslink and great northern are listed together bedford blackfriars brighton cambridge hitchin kings x kings lynn and peterborough and i think bedford and brighton are thameslink dont know about the rest hope this helps so how long after pc tests did you find out about passing and dmi mate

Sim

Thanks baz, a little confused as those depots would be out of my commute distance.
I'm sure it'll be a lot clearer on dmi day.
I did assessments on Monday 26th June and got call this morning.

baz962

Established Member
I did paper tests on 16th I am doing pc and mmi tomorrow and sjt did you do them all in one go

Dave999

South depots are below Hitchin so at the moment that's Kings Cross, there are new planned depots at Hornsey and Welwyn Garden City.

baz962

Established Member
I thought there were depots at hitchin, cambridge and peterborough for great northern- south routes

Dave999

There are but when they say about GN-south that's below Hitchin and they are all full, new depots WGC and Hornsey are most likely where you will end up and then have to put in a transfer request.

Dave999

The main thing is to get on the GN side, they give you a depot you do your time and wait for a position at the one that suits you.

whoosh

Established Member
Traincrew depots are at:

Peterborough
60-odd Drivers (but with a waiting list of about 30 who want to go there)

Hitchin
100-odd Drivers but plans for a reduction in size to about 30. Drivers to be relocated.

Cambridge. Currently about 70 drivers, but plans for about 100.

Welwyn Garden City. New depot planned to open with a good many displaced drivers from Hitchin.

Kings Cross. Currently about 130 drivers, but plans to reduce to about 30. Drivers to be relocated.

Hornsey. New depot planned to open with a good many displaced drivers from Kings Cross.

Kings Lynn. About 30 drivers based there, no plans for any changes. Small waiting list of drivers who want to transfer there.

Similar story on Thameslink side.

Brighton reducing by about a half.

New depot at Three Bridges.

Horsham splitting from entirely Southern, to Southern and Thameslink.

Orpington splitting from entirely South Eastern to South Eastern and Thameslink.

Blackfriars closing.

Bedford reducing significantly.

New depot at Luton

New depot at St Albans.

New depot at Cricklewood.

New depot at Gillingham.

Amongst all the changes (And uncertainty for many about where they will end up being based), there will be more Drivers needed overall.

Last edited:

baz962

Established Member
ah I see I live Bedford so is that not looking good for me do you know when welwyn, luton or st albans are opening I can get to them al by road or rail in about 40 to 50 mins im doing 2nd assessment for great northern tomorrow

Dave999

I'm currently on a course with someone from Bedford and he has been allocated KX but once the new depots are up and running will get either Hornsey or WGC.

I wouldn't worry too much about it until you're qualified, lots can change and happen in that time. Good luck with your assessment tomorrow, youve already beaten the numbers getting this far so you've got a great chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.