• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Guess The Service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dzug2

I was thinking of something like Glasgow - Shotts - Edinburgh - but the service interval doesn't quite fit

gnolife

Established Member
It's a Northern service, with faster services between the termini provided by two different operators (although they may or may not be operating at the time in question.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I wanted to say leeds sheffield because it misses out elsecar but it doesnt its the hudderfield one. Cant think of one my side of the pennines id hazard a guess its lancashire way.

gnolife

Established Member
You want a line that goes from Manchester (I ain't going to say which Manchester station)

dzug2

The Northern Hope Valley service to Sheffield? That's every 2 hours part of the day and the EMT express goes another route and there's an odd stopping 'pattern' for a few stations

scrapy

Established Member
The 0706 NT from Manchester Piccadilly to Sheffield?

Could also be the 06.35 Manchester Picc to Sheffield (SO), or the 20.35 Sheffield to Manchester Piccadilly.

These services all miss out Strines (two hourly off peak service) and Ardwick (even less frequent service)

gnolife

Established Member
The 0706 NT from Manchester Piccadilly to Sheffield?

Thats the one i wanted :D

I put a clue to which way around the train was by stating that the destination is usually a mainline terminus (refering to the MML services that carry on to Leeds/York/Scarborough)

Welshman

Established Member
I think the prize should go to dzug2, as he/she cracked the puzzle by seeing it was a Northern Hope Valley service from Manchester-Sheffield via Romily - I simply looked at the timetable.

So, over to you, dzug2!

dzug2

Thanks - try this one

I run in one direction only once a day but never on a Sunday

My station of origin is a through station but many trains reverse there.

My destination station is a terminus with services in two directions but no through trains

I do not reverse en route

Other opportunities for the same journey exist, but with changes, both by my route and another, somewhat quicker route

Eagle

Established Member
My destination station is a terminus with services in two directions but no through trains

I'm guessing that's one of Kirkby, Ormskirk and Ellesmere Port... and bearing in mind this is an unusual service I'm thinking Kirkby (Merseyrail doesn't have unusual services and Ormskirk and Ellesmere's only other connections are shuttles).

dzug2

Got it.

2F77, the 06.57 Huddersfield to Southport via Manchester Victoria (the quicker route being via Piccadilly, presumably).

Not what I had in mind. There is a return working to that service, at 1556

It's not in the northwest
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Time for a clue maybe

I serve 3 places that have an ancient cathedral - and a few more with more modern ones.

Eagle

Established Member
I serve 3 places that have an ancient cathedral - and a few more with more modern ones.

I'm thinking Bristol to Brighton? It fits your description of the stations. The ancient cathedrals being Salisbury, Chichester, and one I can't remember right now (Bath doesn't have a cathedral, it shares with Wells); the modern ones being Bristol, Southampton and Brighton.

dzug2

I'm thinking Bristol to Brighton? It fits your description of the stations. The ancient cathedrals being Salisbury, Chichester, and one I can't remember right now (Bath doesn't have a cathedral, it shares with Wells); the modern ones being Bristol, Southampton and Brighton.

Brighton has services in 3 directions - my terminus in only 2. And the FGW service runs in both directions including Sundays

Good try though

Romsey may be what you are thinking of - but it's an Abbey, not a cathedral. And Winchester is off-route

And I am looking for a particular timed train though the route would be a good start.

Ivo

Established Member
It's not any given Gloucester to Weymouth train I take it? For this to work it would have to use the Dr Days chord in Bristol, which I thought was only the MoD train from Westbury (and apparently to Bath?).

dzug2

It's not any given Gloucester to Weymouth train I take it? For this to work it would have to use the Dr Days chord in Bristol, which I thought was only the MoD train from Westbury (and apparently to Bath?).

No - there is only one train that performs the journey I have in mind as a through train. There's a service from Gloucester to Weymouth roughly every 2 hours in both directions

And not enough cathedrals.

Eagle

Established Member
Well it can't be King's Cross, that's not a through station...

I'm thinking filming locations for the film, the only ones of which I know are Alnwick Castle (Alnmouth), Lacock Abbey (Melksham) and Elstree Studios (Elstree and Borehamwood), none of which have any terminating services at all...

Status
Not open for further replies.