• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Guess the Station...

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
The idea of the game is to guess the station by the picture posted by a user...

The Rules

• You may only post a picture of a station if you guess the station before correctly or if somebody passes their turn on.
  • The photo must have been taken in England, Scotland or Wales.
  • The photo must contain a train which operates/operated on the Network Rail area unless the easement in rule 4 applies. (so excludes any Light Rail, LUL & Preserved Railways)
  • EASEMENT TO RULE 3 -- However if the station has an Interchange with a NR station, this is allowed.
  • The actual name of the station must not be in the photo or filename - destination blinds should be covered.
Rule Amendment - See Below.
Amendment to rule 2 = This now includes Northern Ireland.
Amendment to rule 3 = photos are permitted where there is no train present

Rule Amendment - See Below. April 2011
MattE2010 said:
Anyone away from a way of replying to this thread for more than three hours and cannot leave a suitable clue (one which will help uncover the station) must leave the answer (via PM) with an online member who has contributed significantly to this thread, such as myself or 87109Chris (or any other member who is a regular on this thread).

IF YOU THINK ANY PHOTO BREACHES ANY OF THESE RULES - THIS SHOULD BE POSTED IN THREAD AND THIS SHALL BE LOOKED AT BY EITHER A MEMBER OF FORUM STAFF (if they are happy to do so) OR ME (as the OP) ;). THE NEXT PICTURE WILL THEN BE FREE FOR ANYONE TO POST.

Copyright rules obviously apply and if the photo is not yours and you have found it on the web then please attribute the author.
-----------------------

Heres the first one - taken by me!
View attachment 3365

------------------------

Happy Guessing ;)
This game has been played on other forums, rules interpreted from TT-Forums version

EDIT for the newbies who join and look at the first page:

(The below is a quote from past #6683 :)
Folks a request for players of this game. As you may have noticed from the number of posts I like playing this game and I like to think I have made a few friends here. The game is at it's best when it is fast moving with guesses coming in thick and fast and people from different parts of the country playing. You never know who is going to know which station.

We have had some classic photos the plant pot the brick in the wall etc. They are funny when posted but is anyone going to get them yes but we are going to need some help. I have put up some very difficult ones but after a few guesses it becomes obvious people do not know.

I have been to a lot of stations the reason I do quite well at this game and want to continue playing.

Over the last few days a few annoying things have happened than have brought the game to a virtual standstill. I don't think is because people don't want to play but can't for a number of reasons:

1. A picture is posted then the person disappears for two days before telling every one they are wrong
2. Some steams in with the correct answer then again disappears for two days.
3. An difficult picture is posted the guesses come in but no one actually knows and after 3 pages of guesses no one is still any nearer so everyone gets bored and disappears.

Could I make a few suggestions to make the game better for everyone. I would call these game etiquette rather than rules.

1. If you are not going to be able to say if people are right or wrong don't post the picture give the floor to someone who can. You will get a chance to post your picture at a later time. It is more fun if you are there to frustrate people with a difficult picture.

2. If you are making a guess but have no pictures to post say so in the guess. After you have won people do not want to offend and do not want to jump the queue. Let us know up front and we can carry on.

3. If you have posted a picture of the station cat on a bit of platform (I can see I am going to regret that statement in a future photo) be realistic we are not going to know where it is. It is funny the reaction when it is posted but there is no point dragging it out for 3 days. Once you get to between 8 and 10 guesses you are going to have to start giving clues otherwise you are going to end up playing by yourself.

I am really sorry for the rant but as I said I do enjoy playing and so do quite a few others here. Some of the evenings spent playing have been very enjoyable and I have stayed up too late doing so. We do have a laugh from time to time and do get carried away a bit on occasion. I want to keep this game going 10,000 posts plus.

I could be well wide of the mark here as it is my view and feel free to put your views if you disagree.

TB

EDIT and amendment to the rules 25th July 2011:

The photos have to be reasonable, don't go posting a photo of a dug out platform in a place where not even the railway exists anymore.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Okay, good idea for a game, so let us think about this.

East Coast and First Scotrail would lead to Scotland so I will guess that it isn't either Glasgow or Edinburgh but will say Dundee

Not Dundee...

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Ah, damn you!

Okay then, Motherwell!

I'd stop guessing mate ;), no not Motherwell!!!!!!!

EDIT: The correct guess has been PM'd to me by MattE2010 - however I am not giving it away that quickly...

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm going to leave the floor open, I don't have any photos and seeing as I'm supposed to writing an essay not browsing forums I don't have time too look sorry :oops:

4SRKT

Established Member
In that picture of Haymarket, is that guy on the platform actually masturbating through his pockets at the sight of a 158???

I know things are pretty desperate on the railways traction-wise these days, but that's going a little too far!

Since the floor's open, I'll add one. Probably quite easy but I don't have too many digital photos except ones in Northern Ireland that have been forbidden by the OP :(

Attachments

• Mystery.jpg
    Mystery.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 788
Last edited:

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Strood, seen as you can't get from the back platform to the right to the liner (to Rochester) from which the train is coming from, only the line straight ahead (to Maidstone West). the bridge in the background carries the line from Rochester-Swanley via Meopham I believe.

SammyJ

I also dont have a picture, so am willing for someone else to post one.

CarterUSM

Established Member
I don't even know how to post a photograph, and i'm on my mobile anyway, so someone else fire away! I don't know 90019, it wouldn't have been that obvious to everyone!

Established Member
308.jpg

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Darlington?

If I'm right you'll need to wait until tonight for the next picture I'm afraid.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
OK, OK, I've only just got online, - I am a very busy bloke you know!

Attachments

• Picture 7110.jpg
    Picture 7110.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 432
Last edited: