• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 800

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JN114

Established Member
How are they coping in the snow if there's any out?

The poor winter weather is highlighting some vulnerabilities with the units -

The Horns are very prone to packing with snow and freezing, which then means 20mph forward to next suitable location to clear the line. Also the rate of door faults has increased somewhat; although the same could be said of majority of power door trains in these conditions.

jimm

Established Member
And slam doors as well, judging by a number with yellow and black tape around them on GWR HSTs I saw passing through Reading late yesterday afternoon while waiting for a train home - two cancellations and a 25-minute late start due to a fault on the service I eventually used meant I saw a number of sets pass by...

Thanks. So it's a legacy rule rather than a specific quirk of the 800s ?
I can not speak for the 800s but it was certainly a rule for the HSTs which remained even though the proposed risk was averted. It could well be a legacy rule as you suggest. Generally, with long distance high speed multiple unit trains there is little need for a Guard/Train Manager to 'back cab' anyway as there is specific accommodation provided elsewhere. If GW have banned any crew other than Travelling Fitters from middle/rear cabs on 800s then it could also be to try to prevent accidental brake applications from someone brushing up against a control in the cab in error.

Envoy

Established Member

The Horns are very prone to packing with snow and freezing, which then means 20mph forward to next suitable location to clear the line. Also the rate of door faults has increased somewhat; although the same could be said of majority of power door trains in these conditions.

Why could the designers not realise that the horns would get packed with snow? I always thought that the recessed doors could be a problem as ice/snow could build up in the non smooth exterior.

SamYeager

The Horns are very prone to packing with snow and freezing, which then means 20mph forward to next suitable location to clear the line.

I believe Japan is prone to regular snow so it's odd that the horns have this issue. Are UK horns very different from those used in Japan?

BestWestern

Established Member
I can not speak for the 800s but it was certainly a rule for the HSTs which remained even though the proposed risk was averted. It could well be a legacy rule as you suggest. Generally, with long distance high speed multiple unit trains there is little need for a Guard/Train Manager to 'back cab' anyway as there is specific accommodation provided elsewhere. If GW have banned any crew other than Travelling Fitters from middle/rear cabs on 800s then it could also be to try to prevent accidental brake applications from someone brushing up against a control in the cab in error.

Traincrew are not banned from 800 cabs. Catering staff are not permitted, but have facilities within the kitchen area.

Established Member
Didn't sound particularly quiet or healthy tbh as it went past.

Sounded perfectly fine and normal. Driver is applying power every few seconds, as for noise, the video is recorded on a small camera, so noise is not a true representation. This is in no way a dig at the video

samuelmorris

Established Member
Sounded perfectly fine and normal. Driver is applying power every few seconds, as for noise, the video is recorded on a small camera, so noise is not a true representation. This is in no way a dig at the video
Agreed I didn't hear anything untoward either. It's just a DMU sounding, unsurprisingly, like a DMU :)

dp21

Is anyone able to explain why two of the vehicles have internal frame bogies whereas the rest are external? This only seems to be on the 9-cars. Are these trailer vehicles without any engines or anything?

Domh245

Established Member
Is anyone able to explain why two of the vehicles have internal frame bogies whereas the rest are external? This only seems to be on the 9-cars. Are these trailer vehicles without any engines or anything?
Correct, those are trailer vehicles, no motors or engines fitted

Domh245

Established Member
Excuse my slightly embarasing ignorance, but that veriety of 800 is the 8003xx??

The GWR 9 car 800s (with 2 intermediate trailer vehicles) are all 8003xx, but there are also going to be some East Coast 800s (800/1) which are similarly arranged (9 cars, 2 intermediate trailers)

dp21

Sorry if this has already been covered but various GWR social media is saying that 800 009 has been named Sir Gareth Edwards.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Definitely - but the Class 91's performance isn't something to sniff at. The don't take off like a rocket like the 387s/800s do (when the driver wants to/can) but they get up to speed deceptively quickly. I've gone over Colton Junction south from a standing start at York at over 110mph in a mk4/91 many a time - a distance of about 5 1/2 miles. An HST is a little more leisurely, crossing just over 100mph from personal experience. I think the factoid about the HST is that it takes 11 miles to reach 125? 5.5 miles for the first 100, and 5.5 for the last 25.....

Don't know about distance but BR documentation says 0-100 in 3 mins 15 secs and 100-125 in a further 4 mins or 7.25 mins 0-125 mph overall. That's for a 2+7 HST. A Class 91+9 Mk4+DVT IC225 takes 5 mins 15 to reach 125 from a stand.

As an aside the Class 800 IEPs on Diesel mode are incapable of attaining 125 mph on level track, they balance at about 118 mph.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Don't know about distance but BR documentation says 0-100 in 3 mins 15 secs and 100-125 in a further 4 mins or 7.25 mins 0-125 mph overall. That's for a 2+7 HST. A Class 91+9 Mk4+DVT IC225 takes 5 mins 15 to reach 125 from a stand.

As an aside the Class 800 IEPs on Diesel mode are incapable of attaining 125 mph on level track, they balance at about 118 mph.

If I remember my school physics correctly and you make a gross over-simplification and assume linear acceleration that equates to about 2.7 miles for 0-100 and 7.5 miles for 100-125. 10.2 miles altogether, not far off the 11 miles previously quoted.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
If I remember my school physics correctly and you make a gross over-simplification and assume linear acceleration that equates to about 2.7 miles for 0-100 and 7.5 miles for 100-125. 10.2 miles altogether, not far off the 11 miles previously quoted.

Interesting to see how a Class 800 compares. Of course coming out of Paddington these days you are limited in speed for longer than in pre-Southall days (?) until the 125 limit comes into force and full power starts don't really happen much, if at all these days either.

JN114

Established Member

At their current engine settings. During testing I was on one that managed to attain more than 118 uphill; on Diesel. They’re not incapable, they’re just not doing it.

Interesting to see how a Class 800 compares. Of course coming out of Paddington these days you are limited in speed for longer than in pre-Southall days (?) until the 125 limit comes into force and full power starts don't really happen much, if at all these days either.

Post Ladbroke the speeds between Royal Oak and Acton were reduced to “match” the newly simplified signalling layout. Previously it was 50 from Royal Oak and 85/HST100 from Westbourne Park - now it’s 40 to Westbourne Park and 85/HST100 from Ladbroke Grove.

The 800s (and 387s) on Electric can reach 100 before the 125mph board at Acton - something neither HSTs nor 180s could attain even before the speed limits were reduced.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The 800s (and 387s) on Electric can reach 100 before the 125mph board at Acton - something neither HSTs nor 180s could attain even before the speed limits were reduced.

They are undoubtedly better on electric mode, it just that with so much Diesel running now, it seems they will struggle to maintain schedules - this has of course been discussed at length anyway.

It will be interesting to see how the Electric only IEPs, which will be lighter I assume, will fair.

Last edited:

HainultLoop

Sorry if this has already been covered but various GWR social media is saying that 800 009 has been named Sir Gareth Edwards.
Yes, and also John Charles.

There is an image of the commerative coins featuring both people here (publicly viewable):
https://www.facebook.com/gwruk/phot...45127331805/10155169650221806/?type=3&theater
Yes here's a clip on the BBC news page about it - it also shows shots of the new First Class interior, with GWR green headrests. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-wales-43318347/new-train-named-after-gareth-edwards-and-john-charles

paul1609

Established Member
They are undoubtedly better on electric mode, it just that with so much Diesel running now, it seems they will struggle to maintain schedules - this has of course been discussed at length anyway.

It will be interesting to see how the Electric only IEPs, which will be lighter I assume, will fair.
Im not so sure that the Diesel running is fully understood. Obviously a 800 running on Diesel will be out accelerated by an HST but i think that will only be so where there are high speed limits. I can see a situation where running speeds are relatively low where the 800s modern electric traction package and distribution will be able to put more power out at the wheels than a HST resulting in a faster journey time. I can certainly see that being so at places like the Devon Banks and Main line in Cornwall, and I can well imagine that overall an 800 will be as good as or better than an HST overall on the through journey between Paddington and Penzance

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member

I have had three IETs on separate runs reach 123/124 mph between Bristol Parkway and Didcot, a stretch on which they are still running entirely on diesel.

Status
Not open for further replies.