• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Cornish Night Riviera Sleeper and GWR Class 57 updates from Long Rock

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

455driver

Veteran Member
Somebody broke the brake pipe London end wed/thurs last week so TnT for brake force
How does that work then?

A coach removed so guard in RFMB and resulting seat capacity reduction. Currently no spare as one other still has parking brake problems awaiting spares.
So what you actually mean is there isnt currently a brake coach in the formation (due to the stupid design of hydraulic handbrake fitted) so the rear 57 is effectively being used as a handbrake vehicle, which has absolutely nothing to do with 'brake force'.

richw

Veteran Member
Do the refurbed carriages have retained toilets?
Travelled from liskeard to Truro this morning, it smelt like a voyager. Not a pleasant experience.

spark001uk

Established Member
Do the refurbed carriages have retained toilets?
Travelled from liskeard to Truro this morning, it smelt like a voyager. Not a pleasant experience.

The disabled toilet in the refurb B coach is definitely retention. Not sure about the SLEP coaches as haven't been in one yet.

spark001uk

Established Member
The SLEPs were built with retention tanks when new. There are still ongoing problems with the toilets in the refurbished B coaches !

Ah yes I remember now. The SLEP coaches have the gravity fed tanks vs the vacuum ones, that's what made me think different. Are the SLEP refurbs having them changed to vacuum? Or left as they were?

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I rode rhe 57 hauled service last weekend and whilst I mostly stood at the vestibule I checked out the refurbed coach and actually it might be ok.

What are the toilet issues other than the voyager like pong which I didnt notice.

co-tr-paul

The refurb SLEPs thankfully have the old ones. They were supposed to have electric hand dryers but kept blowing up so within the first month, reverted to mk1 style paper towels....!!
The B coach problems were mainly door based or items not fit for purpose such as bin locks, hinges etc but water taps use more and a capacity issue may arise under extreme use. Only tanked and sluesed at PZ but may change when OC closes and goes to Reading instead.

Last edited:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Pic a better class of pub is my answer to that one. Toilets only being tanked and emptied every 2 days sounds a trifle backwards, hoping that changes.
IMO pitty about the hand dryers, I much prefer them to cheep paper which falls to bits as soon as you look at it.

co-tr-paul

Due back imminatley from internal refurb at Wolverton, 3rd and final b coach, now DSO, 12100. Also, 3rd SLEP 10594 which should go into same set as other 2 (PZ88, up sun,tue,thur.).

Do you know if they will be a Coach F sleeper coach by the 1st of September cause I am hoping that I will be in a Refurbished sleeper coach when I go to London for the Open Day?

co-tr-paul

The set should be operating on the down friday night so barring something wrong, you should have an unrefurbished coach if travelling up for the saturday open day.

crehld

Established Member
I had the pleasure of being in one of the refurbished sleeper carriages a couple of weeks ago for a trip to Truro. I was very impressed with my berth overall. It is a modern design and seems to be done to a high quality. I also liked the fact a couple of the retro switches from the 'old' stock were kept (such as the temperature control dial) ;) There was no smells emanating from the toilets.

My only complaint was with the 'wardrobe' doors - they seem to use some sort of push magnetic lock type thing, and they rattled and squeaked throughout the whole night. Not too big of a problem once my briefcase was pressed up against it to stop it moving, but still an irritation...

Last edited:

co-tr-paul

Now at Derby, 57604 is having its repaint, finally, in time for OC open day. Should be back still in heritage GWR style, completing the cycle of loco repaints.

spark001uk

Established Member
Now at Derby, 57604 is having its repaint, finally, in time for OC open day. Should be back still in heritage GWR style, completing the cycle of loco repaints.

That's good to hear, I was worried it'd be painted in line with the others, what with their eagerness of conformity!

DenmarkRail

What happened to the DRS loco that GWR braught? Is that going to be repainted?

spark001uk

Established Member
I wonder if they'll end up buying 310, would make better sense than hiring it endlessly? They'll need something to work with the 387s, unless they're confident enough to leave it to spot hire should anything go wrong?

Last edited:

co-tr-paul

Getting close to the end of the franchise to be actually buying locos for long term use. Then there is 310s reliability....... (Banned from Riviera unless ab.ness.).
No news yet on release date of lounge car.