• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR HST continuously sounding horn

Status
Not open for further replies.

sciisfun

A GWR HST has just passed me going northbound (a hybrid set) and had his horn set on for the entire time I could hear him, is there a reason why this may be?

Looked like one of the lights was dim, or possibly not working if that's any help.

Also apologies if this has been covered before, my data isn't playing ball currently

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

E_Reeves

Established Member
If it was a HST, the dimmed/off light could be due to the light setting. Day running: right headlight on, left headlight off and night: left headlight on, right headlight off. Marker lights (smaller ones) are on all of the time. Are you sure it was the horn. Could be on to please the train spotters? :lol:

Last edited:

sciisfun

Auto correct! Was meant to be HST, and spotters seem unlikely, I was the south side of st Thomas, just come out of the ALDI there, horn was on for at least 30 seconds (could hear it well before I could see it!) and it didn't seem like day running, it looked out of place from normal, hence why I noticed it

Last edited:

E_Reeves

Established Member
Auto correct! Was meant to be HST, and spotters seem unlikely, I was the south side of st Thomas, just come out of the ALDI there, horn was on for at least 30 seconds (could hear it well before I could see it!) and it didn't seem like day running, it looked out of place from normal, hence why I noticed it

Did you get the number?

BestWestern

Established Member
What do we mean by 'hybrid set'? Blue bits and green bits?

It's highly unlikely that the headlamps were 'dim', they tend either to work or not work. One side will always be dimmer than the other, that's because one lamp is a headlamp and the other a marker light. The horn was probably stuck on, they're air operated and the valve can stick. A green power car sailed into Reading in that state not long after repainting one afternoon! Generally the horn will be isolated to shut it up, and then the fitters will go from there.

RPM

Established Member
How long were you in earshot? The low tone only ruling at whistleboards has led to some allegations of the horn not being sounded, so drivers are told to sound the low tone for at least 20 seconds.

BestWestern

Established Member
How long were you in earshot? The low tone only ruling at whistleboards has led to some allegations of the horn not being sounded, so drivers are told to sound the low tone for at least 20 seconds.

Twenty seconds?!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
20 seconds is a long time in hornyness.

BR60062

Preparation and movement of trains: Rule 45
Warning horn
The person responsible: driver
45.1 General
You must only use the horn as much as is necessary to give aneffective warning or to make sure safe working takes place.

45.2 Warning tones to use
If two tones are provided, you must use the horn as shown below.
If the horn has no soft/loud setting, you must use the setting provided.

Circumstances
Tones you must use

To give a warning to anyone on or near a running line
High and low tones - use the loud setting

To give an urgent warning to anyone on or dangerously near to the line
High tone - use the loud setting

When passing a whistle board
Low tone - use the loud setting

To give a warning when in a depot or siding
Low tone - use the soft setting

To sound a local or special code

Wrong-direction movements

Sounding the horn as a warning
a) Anyone on or near the line
You must sound the horn to warn anyone who is on or near the line on which you are travelling.
Give a series of short, urgent danger warnings to anyone who is on or dangerously near the line who does not:

• acknowledge your warning by raising one arm above the head,

or

• appear to move clear out of the way of the train.

b) Whistle boards
You must sound the horn when passing a whistle board only between 0700 and 2300, except in an emergency or when anyone is on or near the line.

c) Within a possession
You must sound the horn on starting your train when making a movement within a possession.

d) Wrong-direction movements
When making a wrong-direction movement on a running line for which there is no signal provided, you must sound a series of short blasts at frequent intervals.

e) Train movements
You must sound the horn at any other time you consider necessary
I have quoted the above from the train driver rulebook which should be helpful on all possible uses of the train horns. Personally I liked it when the drivers used to give two tones at the "W" boards as I think they sound better, but that was back in the BR days :).

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Probably just broken and the drivers waiting for a good time to get permission to isolate it and turn the unit so that the one at the other end can be used.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I am reminded of a quote about a steam locomotive with the whistle stuck on.

"It's not wrong... but we just DON'T do it!" :lol:

nat67

Established Member
It could be that a bird hit the horn casing and is stuck possibly, or the driver could just be very Hellfire and loves HST's like I do

CosherB

Established Member
It could be that a bird hit the horn casing and is stuck possibly, or the driver could just be very Hellfire and loves HST's like I do

I doubt it. A damned good talking-to if that was the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.