• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Intercity Express Train (IEP) initial diagrams & allocations

Status
Not open for further replies.

D1009

Established Member
As a direct result of comments made here (and elsewhere), complaining that using the default “more trains than usual needing repairs” - was dishonest and misleading.
Are you saying that what is posted here has a direct effect on what happens on the railway? Scary.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JN114

Established Member
Are you saying that what is posted here has a direct effect on what happens on the railway? Scary.

Sometimes there’s some interesting ideas that warrant running by the powers that be.

jimm

Established Member
Probably the ones that were mostly noted a couple of pages back or so.

GWR's managing director Mark Hopwood was at the Cotswold Line Promotion Group's AGM on Saturday and showed a Powerpoint slide that said the 17.22 Paddington-Hereford and the 21.51 return will go over to a nine-coach IET on Monday, June 11.

The 05.14 Paddington to Moreton-in-Marsh and 07.10 return, the 05.28 Hereford-Paddington, 12.21 Paddington to Worcester and 15.22 return, plus the 17.52 to Worcester and 20.59 return are all due to be worked by nine-coach IETs from Monday, June 25.

HSTs will replace Turbos on a couple of the above duties from the timetable change next weekend until the end of June.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
From Monday 25th June:

1G11 0736 PAD - CNM
1L50 1036 CNM - PAD
1G38 1336 PAD - CNM
1L80 1620 CNM - PAD

1G29 1136 PAD - CNM
1L67 1436 CNM - PAD
1W02 1722 PAD - HFD
1P51 2151 HFD - PAD

From Monday 2nd July:

1P12 0528 HFD - PAD
1D18 0851 PAD - OXF
1P24 1101 OXF - PAD
1W25 1221 PAD - WSH
1P61 1522 WSH - PAD
1W36 1752 PAD - WSH
1P49 2059 WOF - PAD

:)

Source is WNXX

Mark62

When will these so called new high speed trains complete the journeys faster than they did 35 years ago?
We the taxpayer have invested a small fortune on a line and trains that are slower than trains were almost 40 years ago. I have timetables from back then. When will Swindon be reached from London in 40 minutes?
When will Parkway be reached from London in just over an hour?
The trains in these routes have been deliberately slowed over the years so when a few minutes arw shaved off with these new trains the TOC can say they are faster.
That's rubbish. And most people on this forum know that.

HowardGWR

Established Member
From Monday 25th June:

1G11 0736 PAD - CNM
1L50 1036 CNM - PAD
1G38 1336 PAD - CNM
1L80 1620 CNM - PAD

1G29 1136 PAD - CNM
1L67 1436 CNM - PAD
1W02 1722 PAD - HFD
1P51 2151 HFD - PAD

From Monday 2nd July:

1P12 0528 HFD - PAD
1D18 0851 PAD - OXF
1P24 1101 OXF - PAD
1W25 1221 PAD - WSH
1P61 1522 WSH - PAD
1W36 1752 PAD - WSH
1P49 2059 WOF - PAD

Source is WNXX
You had me searching. WSH is Wishaw. It turns out that Shrub Hill is WOS (probably because of Wishaw)!

Dai Corner

Established Member
When will these so called new high speed trains complete the journeys faster than they did 35 years ago?
We the taxpayer have invested a small fortune on a line and trains that are slower than trains were almost 40 years ago. I have timetables from back then. When will Swindon be reached from London in 40 minutes?
The trains in these routes have been deliberately slowed over the years so when a few minutes arw shaved off with these new trains the TOC can say they are faster.

When the new timetable comes in in January and there are non-stop or one-stop services again. The deceleration was largely due to stopping more often as Bristol has become almost an outer-suburban destination (due to the HSTs).

SamYeager

You asked pretty much exactly the same question on 9 April in this post and a number of people answered you. I very much doubt the answers have changed since then!

Mintona

Established Member

There’s not much point running fast at the moment as any fast train will just catch up with the stopping train in front. This situation will probably (should) change with the January 19 timetable.

coppercapped

Established Member
This is very off-topic and has been frequently addressed in other forums, but we, the taxpayer, have not paid for the IEP trains. That is the whole point - the entire design, development, testing and production costs, including the building and refurbishment of the depots was paid for by Hitachi.

That is why the operating costs covered by the Train Service Provision payments made by GWR and the East Coast operator are so high.

Class 33

Established Member
I notice this weekend the London Paddington-South/West Wales services are running a diverted route via Bristol Temple Meads. Are any of these likely to be IET's? Or are they not cleared for running to Wales yet?

Dai Corner

Established Member
I notice this weekend the London Paddington-South/West Wales services are running a diverted route via Bristol Temple Meads. Are any of these likely to be IET's? Or are they not cleared for running to Wales yet?

We see plenty of IETs this side of the Severn every day. Can’t help with allocations for this weekend though I’m afraid.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member

They've been running there since about last October including via the diversionary routes

Class 33

Established Member
Yea, sorry. I realised that just after I made that posting that of course the IET's run to Wales.

Any info on the IET workings this Saturday though would be helpful if anyone knows. Thinking about doing a trip to Cardiff(from Bristol Temple Meads). Maybe the 1002(the 0800 from London Paddington) there. Hope it's an IET, if no info is posted beforehand. If an HST turns up, I might consider waiting another hour for the 1102 and hope that's an IET! And then sometime in the afternoon get a Taunton service back which hopefully should be a Turbo.

Have only just done the one journey(Bristol-London) on an IET so far and that was back in November!

Class 33

Established Member
The 0800 from London should be an HST.

The 0900 from London should also be an HST.

Ah damn! Was hoping one of those two would be an IET. Been on HST's many many times, but only on an IET just once. Oh well. I'll just get on what turns up. Will probably get the 1102 from Bristol. And coming back will aim to get a Taunton service leaving Cardiff Central at xx:00. Hoping it will be a Turbo(the 1400 service is supposed to be according to the thread on here, but not sure if I'll get that one). If it's not a Turbo, I'll instead wait for the xx:26 to London Paddington and just get on whether it's an HST or an IET.

Cheers for the info though.

E_Reeves

Established Member
Are there any IEPs running services through Moreton-In-Marsh at the moment? I'm in the area from Saturday to Monday so any help will be appreciated!

Class 33

Established Member
By this time next year you won't have a choice.

Indeed. I like the HST's - or InterCity 125's as I used to call them. And will be sad to see them go. So even though I'd prefer to get an IET rather than an HST at the moment, if an HST turns up then so be it, they're not bad trains, and will be another journey on them before they all go soon.

OK, so if the 0900 London Paddington-Swansea is an HST, this will work the return 1329 Swansea-London Paddington service - departing Cardiff Central at 1426. So anyone know whether the 1000 London Paddington-Swansea will be an HST or IET? As this would be service I can get back from Cardiff at 1526.

Mintona

Established Member
Indeed. I like the HST's - or InterCity 125's as I used to call them. And will be sad to see them go. So even though I'd prefer to get an IET rather than an HST at the moment, if an HST turns up then so be it, they're not bad trains, and will be another journey on them before they all go soon.

OK, so if the 0900 London Paddington-Swansea is an HST, this will work the return 1329 Swansea-London Paddington service - departing Cardiff Central at 1426. So anyone know whether the 1000 London Paddington-Swansea will be an HST or IET? As this would be service I can get back from Cardiff at 1526.

Also booked HST I’m afraid. But to be honest I’d make the most of them before they’re gone.

Dai Corner

Established Member

http://iris2.rail.co.uk/tiger can be useful on the day. Choose an appropriate station and select Staff View. Eight coaches means an HST, ten (or five if short formed!) means an IET. I don’t know whether it’s 100% accurate but it’s better than nothing.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
But to be honest I’d make the most of them before they’re gone.

That's what I'm doing when I travel on GWR at the moment - always try to ensure its an HST even if it means delaying the journey slightly. By the end of the year (Castle Class aside) they'll all be gone!

spark001uk

Established Member
From Monday 25th June:

1G11 0736 PAD - CNM
1L50 1036 CNM - PAD
1G38 1336 PAD - CNM
1L80 1620 CNM - PAD

1G29 1136 PAD - CNM
1L67 1436 CNM - PAD
1W02 1722 PAD - HFD
1P51 2151 HFD - PAD

From Monday 2nd July:

1P12 0528 HFD - PAD
1D18 0851 PAD - OXF
1P24 1101 OXF - PAD
1W25 1221 PAD - WSH
1P61 1522 WSH - PAD
1W36 1752 PAD - WSH
1P49 2059 WOF - PAD

Source is WNXX
Should any of these be 800/3's by any chance?

jimm

Established Member
Are there any IEPs running services through Moreton-In-Marsh at the moment? I'm in the area from Saturday to Monday so any help will be appreciated!

Yes, but note that Cotswold Line services over the weekend are revised, because trains are only running as far as Evesham due to the line into Worcester being closed while the rail bridge over the bypass is replaced.

A mix of High Speed Train and Turbo timing loads are showing on realtimetrains, so likely to be a mix of IETs, HSTs and 165s.

Best advice is probably to check with realtimetrains on the day if you can and look at empty stock moves from the North Pole IET depot into Paddington - anything that runs with a 5Wxx head code will be forming a subsequent 1Wxx out of Paddington - which means a Cotswold Line service. A quick glance at workings planned at this stage suggests Saturday may be your best bet to see 800s at Moreton-in-Marsh, with some IETs working on the line on Monday as well.

Should any of these be 800/3's by any chance?

You could have tried reading my post immediately above the one you quoted - in which I noted that the managing director of GWR had:

a. Given earlier dates for the changes from HSTs to IETs at a public meeting - so probably a tad more reliable as to accurate dates than WNXX

b. That the Cotswold Line ones would be nine-car sets. I believe the same also applies to the Cheltenham duties.

Last edited:

Class 33

Established Member
Went to Cardiff yesterday. Was an HST as correctly predicted. Was busier than I expected it to be. When I first got on and saw how busy it was, I almost got off and waited for the next service to Cardiff which would have been a Turbo probably. But I managed to find a window seat facing the direction of travel(not really a fan of backwards facing seats!) and two seats to myself. But with the high backed seats, it felt like I was in a little cubicle!(I do miss the old HST seating and carriage interiors!) Arrived at Cardiff Central, and oh my god...... the bus station and all those shops are all gone! And in it's place a massive new office block! I couldn't believe it! Got the 1500 service back to Bristol which was a Turbo calling at Newport, Severn Tunnel Junction, Patchway, Pilning(possibly the first time I've been on a service that has stopped at this station!) and Filton Abbey Wood. With the lower backed seats meaning I didn't feel like I was in a little cubicle, and I could see down the carriage! And it wasn't very busy. To be honest, I enjoyed the Turbo journey back more than the HST journey there.

Looking forward to two journeys on an IET between Bristol and London in July though.

Charlie M.

I assume that as Cheltenham services only run every two hours, and GWR confirmed that most services will be a 9-car on this route, that this summer the majority of Cheltenham Spa services will be a 9-car Class 800?

Status
Not open for further replies.