• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Turbo cascade progress to Bristol region services

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JN114

Established Member
Should be another little shuffle of Turbos between Reading and Bristol on Wednesday - although I think it’s just swapping works units in and out of SPM. I’ll have a better idea in the week when I’m on the desk properly.

CC 72100

Established Member
Do you mean how many Turbos have been refurbished? I think only one 166 has. There's a picture of one on the Class 166 Wikipedia page.

No - turbos which have had no other interior works have had their carpets replaced. 166215 which is otherwise blue inside and out, for example.

387star

On Moderation
No - turbos which have had no other interior works have had their carpets replaced. 166215 which is otherwise blue inside and out, for example.
Yeah think the majority now must have green carpets

The luggage rack carpet remains blue and pink as does the old phone booth

geoffk

Established Member
Had my first trip on a 166 on Friday since they were with Thames Trains - on the Severn Beach line. It was mid-afternoon and the service was well used by schoolchildren from Montpellier and Redland (in both directions). In a way a waste of a 90 mph unit, unless the units interwork on other services, if not a 165 would seem more appropriate. I grew up in Bristol but moved away in 1973 and subsequent visits, especially since the late 1980s, have been infrequent, so it was good to see this former "Cinderella" service get some investment. Only £2 return Avonmouth - Temple Meads, with Railcard. Not gone up for several years apparently.

Last edited:

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Had my first trip on a 166 on Friday since they were with Thames Trains - on the Severn Beach line. It was mid-afternoon and the service was well used by schoolchildren from Montpellier and Redland (in both directions). In a way a waste of a 90 mph unit, unless the units interwork on other services, if not a 165 would seem more appropriate. I grew up in Bristol but moved away in 1973 and subsequent visits, especially since the late 1980s, have been infrequent, so it was good to see this former "Cinderella" service get some investment. Only £2 return Avonmouth - Temple Meads return, with Railcard. Not gone up for several years apparently.

They finish up in the evening by going to places such as Weymouth or Gloucester. With the decrease of 150s in the Bristol area there are no 90 mph units left.

VT 390

Established Member
Had my first trip on a 166 on Friday since they were with Thames Trains - on the Severn Beach line. It was mid-afternoon and the service was well used by schoolchildren from Montpellier and Redland (in both directions). In a way a waste of a 90 mph unit, unless the units interwork on other services, if not a 165 would seem more appropriate. I grew up in Bristol but moved away in 1973 and subsequent visits, especially since the late 1980s, have been infrequent, so it was good to see this former "Cinderella" service get some investment. Only £2 return Avonmouth - Temple Meads return, with Railcard. Not gone up for several years apparently.
On a lot of Avonmouth/Severn Beach services I do not think a 2 carriage 165 would provide enougth capacity.

Meerkat

Established Member
Only £2 return Avonmouth - Temple Meads return, with Railcard. Not gone up for several years apparently.

Is there any excuse for a fare that low? Should at least have put it up when better trains were put on.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Is there any excuse for a fare that low? Should at least have put it up when better trains were put on.

That's how much many local fares should be outside of London given the scrappy service!

Noddy

I’d agree with you if they were shiny new trains but these things are nearly 30 years old!

Dai Corner

Established Member

Off topic for this thread (so maybe start a new one in Fares Advice and Policy if desired), but:

There's an old thread here about fares and subsidies on the Severn Beach line
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/more-for-less-severn-beach-line.43040/

It's £3 return from Severn Beach to Temple Meads but if you want to go another mile or so to Bedminster the fare more than doubles to £6.80.

VT 390

Established Member
Are the three-car 165/0s all still with Chiltern?
As far as I know Chiltern has all the 165/0's but I may be wrong.
GWR does have 165's in 3 carriage formations but I have not seen those operating around Bristol but could just have missed them.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
As far as I know Chiltern has all the 165/0's but I may be wrong.
GWR does have 165's in 3 carriage formations but I have not seen those operating around Bristol but could just have missed them.

All the GWR 165s in the Bristol area are 2 carriage

VT 390

Established Member
All the GWR 165s in the Bristol area are 2 carriage
Thanks, that's what I thought but was not sure, does that mean the GWR 3 carriage units are still all operating along the Thames Valley?

FGW_DID

Established Member
Thanks, that's what I thought but was not sure, does that mean the GWR 3 carriage units are still all operating along the Thames Valley?

165’s yes
166 mostly in the West but with a small number still at Reading.

father_jack

On a lot of Avonmouth/Severn Beach services I do not think a 2 carriage 165 would provide enougth capacity.
The trains got quieter when the revenue started to be collected 4 or 5 years ago, many of the passengers (think posh of Clifton and Redland/ think hipsters of Montpelier with their braided hair and double pushchairs size of a smartcar/ think foreigners of Stapleton Road and Lawrence Hill) regarded the train as FREE !!!

I once came across an irate lady whose daughter had received a summons for multiple UFNs unpaid and I quote her- "On that train you've never had to pay !!!". I said "tell the judge if that's how you feel.....".

The 3 car is needed now though with still the schools of Redland etc kicking out on to already busy trains coming down from the new distribution centres at Severn Beach etc.

Pete_uk

Established Member
Was on a turbo on Tuesday afternoon. As we headed south of Gloucester just by the M5 we hit a bit of track which has made trains lean and bounce a bit but this turbo lurched side to side. Had I have been sat nearer the window I could have ended up with a bump on my head.

geoffk

Established Member
What stations on the current Cardiff to Portsmouth service will not accommodate a 5 car 165/166 formation?
Where is a Cardiff - Portsmouth train going to reach 90 mph, except Bristol to Bath? Of course the same question can be asked about 158s operating on this route, and many others.

bastien

Roast Veg

Established Member
Southern drivers (who I am led to believe provide drivers for some/all Brighton services) are having their competency confirmed on Networker Turbos. Fortunately many also work the NDL.

JN114

Established Member
Southern Redhill drivers sign 16x for North Downs work, and cover 2 crew diagrams per day. Not aware of plans for them to be used on Brighton services, which are GWR Fratton crews east of Havant.

387star

On Moderation
Southern Redhill drivers sign 16x for North Downs work, and cover 2 crew diagrams per day. Not aware of plans for them to be used on Brighton services, which are GWR Fratton crews east of Havant.
They aren't
Fratton is growing from a very small depot to a medium sized depot so there's plenty of drivers to cover the work

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.