• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Had problems taking pictures of the railways?

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
I should say before anyone points it out that I have briefly skimmed over this thread and so if I have missed a point I apologise now.

nationalrail.co.uk has a guide for enthusiasts which includes a section on photography.

Basically, if you are there to photo anything, tell the staff when you arrive on site, atleast then they know you are there.

If they approach you, be reasonable, they don't want a confrontation to escalate to stage where people are removed from the station.

Be careful, stations are dangerous places if you get on the wrong end of a train. Those 'Stand well clear of the platform edge' signs are there for a reason.

Photography on stations is allowed for personal use only. The same would apply for filming.

Co-operation is key, you may know what you are doing but staff aren't mind readers and may not see you as being sensible.

I remember a steama being due through one day, which attracted some 20-30 people to the station. I saw one photographer standing at the bottom of the platform ramp, on a blind bend, facing opposite the direction of travel for that line. I was fortunate to know that no trains were due on that line, but he could not have known, I confronted him once the steama had passed and said that he should not go there next time for his own safety. His response?...."yeah okay mate".

Whilst I have no objection to people taking these photos on my station, I would appreciate some common sense and politeness

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nick279

with respect friend had you read the content of the thread in more depth you would see we had covered this ground alread and yes common sense is the key to it all of course, from both staff and enthusiasts, we are all responsible for this countries infrastructure and the safety of and can all help each other.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
No, they don't work for us. They work for their respective TOCs.

and the TOCs work for?? DOH!!!, :roll:

no inseriousness a countries infrastructure is there to support the people of that country and its economy, i.e. US, the people, be it for moving goods or customers, its a public transport system which basically means it supports (or should support) the public, and likewish we support it in return. so to reiterate, basically thats a long way round of saying !they work for us", I though thid was understandable?

And whilst we should expect them to be civil and courteous to their customers* , we should be extending the same to them. Sadly this doesn't seem to be the case with some enthusiasts who just 'fly off the handle' with staff when they're just doing their job.

It the enthusiasts you approch fly off the handle you should seriously question the way you approach your customers, do rail servants recieve customer care training for direct work with customers? I only ask because i genuinely don`t know?

It works both ways of course and takes two to argue, on a personal level I treat everyone in exactly the same way as I expect to be treated myself, unfortunately it would appear others have a different agenda, indeed a very small percentage of rail servants seem untrained and unprofessional in attitude, but of course you find this in all walks of life, a few always slip through the interview process, so we have to accept this to a point.

Of course some enthusiasts also leave a little to be desired and I can understand the attitudes of some station rail servants. However since we are both supporting, and have an interest in basically the same thing, it only takes a little bit of respect and courtesey from both sides, to prevent any issue of enthusiasts being threatend with being escourted from a railway station and a railway servants being reported and disciplined over their inappropriate behaviour and conduct.

* of course, it's debatable if an enthusiast who just turns up on a station without a ticket and with no intention to travel is really a customer, or just a visitor.
"of course, it's debatable if an enthusiast who just turns up on a station without a ticket and with no intention to travel is really a customer, or just a visitor."

this is an interesting one and a contentious one also, I often see my children off at Manchester Piccadilly when they return to university, it is me who pays their rails fares, yet in theory I`m not travelling that day, i`m still however a customer and have a right to be there. I also occassionally see my wife off on railway journeys and because she suffers from rhumatic I have to help her with her baggages, you never see to be able to find a porter these days, in addition I`m also a rail enthusist and like many on here a very loyal customer who has spend many thousands of pounds supporting the railways over the last 50 or so so, so on the occassion that I visit the station without travelling either to see my children offto university or take a few photographs of trains, do I lose my customer status??, no of course I dont, thats just ridiculous.
heres something which may be worth noting;

Once upon a time people who worked on the railways used to describe themselves as "railway servants". The phrase nicely captures the sense of public service, the combination of pride and duty, that defines how people see their job. It is tempting to say that this sense was destroyed by rail privatisation - the replacement of public service by private profit. Tempting, but wrong. The great age of the railway servant was actually that of the Great Western Railway and its sister companies in the era before the 1947-48 nationalisation.

This is a salutary warning against sloppy and self-indulgent thinking about the ethos of public service. We need to shed the myths that fog the rhetoric. One myth makes public service ethos synonymous with public sector ethos. Another suggests that people who work in the public sector are somehow kinder, nicer or more altruistic than people who work in the private sector. As well as letting public sector workers who provide lousy service off the hook, this is insulting to all those people - for example, care home staff - who perform caring roles in the private sector. A further myth is that there is some kind of acceptable trade-off between public service and decent pay, whereas the argument should be that good public service deserves good reward.

None of this necessary myth-shedding means that the public service ethos itself is a myth or is not worth bothering about. Exactly the opposite, in fact. It is because the idea of an ethos of public service is so important that it is crucial to strip away the obfuscating rhetoric that frequently surrounds it. Nor is it enough to celebrate it in the abstract. It has to be given some practical content if it is to be successfully integrated into the way public services work. That is what the public administration select committee tried to do last year in its report, The Public Service Ethos. It argued that the active cultivation of a public service ethos should be at the heart of the government's public service reform programme. Its role should not be as a comforting phrase to be inserted into ministerial speeches when the occasion demands, but as a challenging aspiration for all providers of public services.

We wanted to see it translated into a public service code, setting out the key public service principles, and provided a version of what such a code might contain. It should be brief, simple and accessible, providing an operational ethos for all public service workers. We also floated the idea of a public service academy, with a mission to disseminate public service principles and practice among all those engaged in the provision of public services.

Pie in the sky? It need not be. It means taking what is distinctive about a public service, in terms of equity and accountability, and converting this into standards of ethical behaviour, service delivery, administrative competence and democratic accountability. All organisations can take service seriously, but public service demands more. This is why private providers of public services should have to accept public service obligations, including openness and the proper treatment of staff, if they want to engage in public service. Similarly, any contracting that prevents staff providing a seamless service, or going the extra yard to meet the needs of citizens, is bad contracting.

Ethos is about culture. As such it is fundamental to how organisations work, and how the people who work in them see their job. When someone describes themselves as a "public servant", this is testimony to the power of an ethos. It is seen in action in the daily heroism of many public service workers. This is a priceless asset for an organisation (people do not describe themselves as "private servants"), but only if it is nourished and cultivated. The public service ethos has to be more than warm words.

Snapper

Established Member
- sorry, It's rather difficult to make sense of that last post, but I'll try.

Who do the TOCs work for? - the DfT actually! After all, it's they who decide who runs a franchise, not the passengers!

Yes, of course the TOC's have to treat passengers with respect, but you completely ignored the point I made earlier about the fact that a large number of enthusiasts (be they spotters or photographers) aren't actually passengers - just occasional visitors to and hangers around at stations. They sometimes expect a lot but give nothing in return.

It always amuses me to read the diatribes on some forums about how 'terrible' the railways are in this day and age, which usually contain the phrase "of course, I never travel by train nowadays"

Yet staff are still meant to accommodate them, and put up with their tantrums when they're asked to register their presence at stations (the "I know my rights" brigade..) Of course, only a minority of enthusiasts are like this - but they do 'queer the pitch' for everyone else. And so staff should sometimes be cut some slack for not laying out the red-carpet every time an enthusiast turns up.
Once upon a time people who worked on the railways used to describe themselves as "railway servants".

Yes - servants of the railway - not the public. Which is why we've always had railway bylaws and stations have never really been open house.

Nick279

- sorry, It's rather difficult to make sense of that last post, but I'll try.

sorry, thats OK, but if you let me know which parts you are having difficulty with I`ll try to re-word them. I do get bogged down with verbosity at times, such is our wonderful English language
Who do the TOCs work for? - the DfT actually! After all, it's they who decide who runs a franchise, not the passengers!

I though we elected a Government who decided who ran our railways, through us, the people, are you missing something here, the whole purpose of having a rail network is to improve a countries economy, infrastructure and support its people, we are the customers and the railway works for all of us (or at least it should do), obviously it does so in a structured format through the TOCs and DfT?

Yes, of course the TOC's have to treat passengers with respect, but you completely ignored the point I made earlier about the fact that a large number of enthusiasts (be they spotters or photographers) aren't actually passengers - just occasional visitors to and hangers around at stations. They sometimes expect a lot but give nothing in return.

I`m sorry, but I didnt ignore your point if you re-read the post above, indeed I thought it was a very interesting one and answered it in relation to my own business, I raised it as a point of interest and explained why I visit a station, i.e. seeing my children off to university, my wife on her travels and additionally because of my interest in railways, its in the post above. I consider myself a rail customer regardless of weither I am travelling on the day or not, I still finacially support our rail network, in the same way as I shop at sainsburys?? do you cease to become a customer if you dont travel on the day in question???.

I dont understand your comments about "hangers around stations expecting a lot and giving nothing in return", could you clarify these comments?

It always amuses me to read the diatribes on some forums about how 'terrible' the railways are in this day and age, which usually contain the phrase "of course, I never travel by train nowadays"

I wonder why these people never travel by train these days???? what do you think??

Yet staff are still meant to accommodate them, and put up with their tantrums when they're asked to register their presence at stations (the "I know my rights" brigade..) Of course, only a minority of enthusiasts are like this - but they do 'queer the pitch' for everyone else. And so staff should sometimes be cut some slack for not laying out the red-carpet every time an enthusiast turns up.

I`m not sure about asking to register, my understanding is that enthusiasts, it is suggested, let staff know they are present, I hope you dont mind me asking, but do you have an issue with enthusiasts who dont travel on the day?

Yes - servants of the railway - not the public. Which is why we've always had railway bylaws and stations have never really been open house.

Of course we need bylaws, how else could you possibly operate a public transport system, but the bylaws are there for both rail servants and customers of course.

Nice to hear your views though, many thanks, I think its debates like this that give us an understanding what other peoples issues are and how we can work together. I have many lifelong friends who have worked for the railways through the changes and some hold high positions, we all want respectof course but from my experience, for whats its worth, if you give respect then you recieve it, it really works both ways.

Snapper

Established Member
from my experience, for whats its worth, if you give respect then you recieve it, it really works both ways.

I wouldn't disagree. But often it seems like people see it as a one way street. As I have mentioned before. A lot of enthusiasts are guests on railway property - they are not travellers, but they expect that their hobby (an interest in railways) should confer upon them all the privileges and more that buying a ticket does (such as being allowed to stay on a station over- night). The argument that they are somehow contributing simply doesn't hold water.

Exactly how does the railway benefit? Film and camera manufacturers might, along with, say WH Smiths. They might even buy the odd coffee, but the TOCs themselves get nothing. The hobby probably costs Network Rail money because of the extra security and policing that's needed (especially during railtours, which have always been marginal to the core business)

Even some enthusiasts who do travel leave a lot to be desired when it comes to behaviour - acting as if they own the place and making a damn nuisance of themselves on service trains - much to the dismay of ordinary travellers. I'm sure there's more than a few members on this forum whom could relate such anecdotes.

Now, if, despite all this the railways are willing to accommodate us - brilliant. But it's gift - it's not a God-given right. And that's where some enthusiasts do themselves and their fellows a disservice. (hence my earlier comment about expecting a lot and giving little). We do have an inflated sense of our own importance to the industry.

And sometimes, incidents like the withdrawal of privileges at Carlisle put that into perspective. Not to mention the odd occasion when a photographer then 'stitches-up' staff by passing on a picture of something 'naughty' to a newspaper (as more than one driver has found out).

We do sometimes have an odd way of making friends out of the industry. Yet we talk a lot about 'respect'.

Nick279

I wouldn't disagree. But often it seems like people see it as a one way street. As I have mentioned before. A lot of enthusiasts are guests on railway property - they are not travellers, but they expect that their hobby (an interest in railways) should confer upon them all the privileges and more that buying a ticket does (such as being allowed to stay on a station over- night). The argument that they are somehow contributing simply doesn't hold water.

I differ from your views here because I`m from a generation that has always been free to pursue our hobby, we have been encouraged to do so by the rail network, not as guests but as share holders. The railway network is a public transport system which we have apparently semi privatised, my view is that the private sector is only custodians of a network which i have spend most of my working life and my leisure time supporting, so I`m sure with this in mind you may appreciate where I and others of my generation may be comming from. That apart though, the enthusiast market does make a significant contribution towards the network and many of us are customers who help pay rail servant wages. Being allowed to saty on a station after the lat train has gone creates good customer relationships, BR appeared to have this right with shed passes etc, and we had many more enthusiasts on stations in the 50s and 60s than we have now. So the term guest on a public transport system is not really appropriate. Its more a case of creating good relationshipship, something we should all endevour to do of course.

Exactly how does the railway benefit? Film and camera manufacturers might, along with, say WH Smiths. They might even buy the odd coffee, but the TOCs themselves get nothing. The hobby probably costs Network Rail money because of the extra security and policing that's needed (especially during railtours, which have always been marginal to the core business).

:DI think you`ll find there is a little more to it than that and thats exactly the kind of attitude i`m expect from a body that is purely financially orientated. All I can sugget is that you read some of my other thread and allow me to point out that the presence of enthusiasts on platforms are extra eyes and ears to aid security, please work with us, not against us, its as much our network as it is your.
Even some enthusiasts who do travel leave a lot to be desired when it comes to behaviour - acting as if they own the place and making a damn nuisance of themselves on service trains - much to the dismay of ordinary travellers. I'm sure there's more than a few members on this forum whom could relate such anecdotes.

As we have discussed before, we have good and bad on all sides, going over the same ground doesnt help.

Now, if, despite all this the railways are willing to accommodate us - brilliant. But it's gift - it's not a God-given right. And that's where some enthusiasts do themselves and their fellows a disservice. (hence my earlier comment about expecting a lot and giving little). We do have an inflated sense of our own importance to the industry.

sorry I can`t relate to any of that, as I said before this is a public transport system, to be allowed into area which are closed to the general public is good PR and much welcomed, but nothing else, as for God given rights, you tell me something that is?
And sometimes, incidents like the withdrawal of privileges at Carlisle put that into perspective. Not to mention the odd occasion when a photographer then 'stitches-up' staff by passing on a picture of something 'naughty' to a newspaper (as more than one driver has found out).

stitching up staff?? i dont understand that, was the staff member doing something against the regulations, that would suggest some kind of witch hunt again enthusiast?
We do sometimes have an odd way of making friends out of the industry. Yet we talk a lot about 'respect'.

yes great shame its not applied from all sides, still thats people I suppose.

Snapper

Established Member
"sorry I can`t relate to any of that, as I said before this is a public transport system, to be allowed into area which are closed to the general public is good PR and much welcomed, but nothing else, as for God given rights, you tell me something that is?"

- a great example of enthusiasts taking themselves too seriously I'm afraid. Allowing 'Joe enthusiast' to wander where the public can't doesn't create good PR. In fact exactly the opposite (especially if something goes wrong) - as the letter writer of Carlisle fame has demonstrated so well...

As for God given rights - well, let's look at legal ones (important ones enshrined in law). But then of course they tend to be things that really matter. And, at the end of the day, railway enthusiasm is only a hobby. And it's one that that can be conducted at places other than railway stations (especially in the middle of the night).

We take ourselves (and our hobby) far, far too seriously sometimes.

Nick279

"sorry I can`t relate to any of that, as I said before this is a public transport system, to be allowed into area which are closed to the general public is good PR and much welcomed, but nothing else, as for God given rights, you tell me something that is?"

- a great example of enthusiasts taking themselves too seriously I'm afraid. Allowing 'Joe enthusiast' to wander where the public can't doesn't create good PR. In fact exactly the opposite (especially if something goes wrong) - as the letter writer of Carlisle fame has demonstrated so well...

oh yes I can certainly agree with that, this is a hobby after all, I think some people had obsessive personalities which reflects on the things they do. It can in itself create problems both for the individual and those around them.
As for God given rights - well, let's look at legal ones (important ones enshrined in law). But then of course they tend to be things that really matter. And, at the end of the day, railway enthusiasm is only a hobby. And it's one that that can be conducted at places other than railway stations (especially in the middle of the night).

We take ourselves (and our hobby) far, far too seriously sometimes.

Yes we do, i think we often need a reality check and concern for the more important issues in life at times, for me its an escapism, as I suspect it is for many of us. Thanks again for the debate Snapper and again good luck with the intervetion.

Snapper

Established Member
Despite my views on some enthusiasts and their foibles, I know that the overwhelming majority are perfectly reasonable people who are little trouble to anyone and are just interested in enjoying their hobby - which is why myself and my colleagues will do our best to help.

martyn29

I hope that I wont have the same trouble next time i visit a station!
what an idiot, you should have dragged him along to the station manager or told him to call the police, its amazing how fast they back down then, on one occassion when a simliar thing happend to me, so I started phoning the police and the pratt who told me not to take photographs suddenly said "well I`ll turn a blind eye to it this time", you can imagine my reply, (where do they find these retards)? but good on you Martyn, isnt Southall home to a preservatrion centre, surely they must have experience of enthusiasts?, it had a shed for many years.

Nick, I didnt swear or shout and to be fair to the security bloke neither did he, he just said its best to go further up the line. Which I did..

Snapper

Established Member
I think people will find FGW stations like Southall and Ealing will be a little more enthusiast friendly and more aware of the guidelines in the future following recent talks with FGW Managers.

Nick279

I hope that I wont have the same trouble next time i visit a station!

Nick, I didnt swear or shout and to be fair to the security bloke neither did he, he just said its best to go further up the line. Which I did..

well thats reasonable, and we must alway try to support the security staff, something could have been happening which you was unaware of, did you ask him why?
I think people will find FGW stations like Southall and Ealing will be a little more enthusiast friendly and more aware of the guidelines in the future following recent talks with FGW Managers.

excellent news
sorry to take the thread off track slightly but what has happened to the old motive power depot at Southall is it still there??

CraigS

Established Member
sorry to take the thread off track slightly but what has happened to the old motive power depot at Southall is it still there??

Not sure whether what I'm about to say is what you are on about but still it may be of some help to you. The old DMU shed and a couple of other buildings are still there and are on the side of the Brentford branch. It's known as the Southall Railway Centre and is where the G.W.R. Preservation Group Limited is based. Merchant Navy 35027 Port Line and a Royal Scot which is nearing completion are also currently there. Also West Coast Railways now use some of the site as a base for their Green Train and any steam loco that WCR may operate shortly before a charter.

Nick279

thanks Craig, nice to here the old place is still in existance and being used, yes it was a DMU depot in the seventies, steam finished early on the Western region of course once the Hydraulics were introduced. I really must get down there some time and vsit the site again. Thanks again.

Snapper

Established Member
I hope so, what has been said mate? I just got the standard ask permission, but I asked him when he said what are you doing and still siad its not allowed!

Cheers

Martyn

The matter has been discussed with FGWs Director of Communications, Sue Evans and new instructions have gone out to staff. We're also having a meeting with her shortly.

class 313

Established Member
I hope so, what has been said mate? I just got the standard ask permission, but I asked him when he said what are you doing and still siad its not allowed!

Cheers

Martyn
well thats reasonable, and we must alway try to support the security staff, something could have been happening which you was unaware of, did you ask him why?

he just said taking photos is not allowed here as this is a category B station!
Ref: 3977474

Dear Mr Spencer

Thank you for your email of 2 May regarding the incident at Southall station.

I regret that we do request people wishing to take photos at any of our station get permission from the station manager prior to visiting the station. I do appreciate the problem that this has caused you.

Once again please accept my apologies that you were unable to take any pictures.

Thank you once again for contacting me and if I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely

John Hallybone
Customer Services Advisor

I asked permission! and still wasnt allowed, I have replied to FGW to say my queation hasnt been answered correctly.

I'm sure you're not allowed to copy and paste such emails directly. At the bottom of the email, does it not say something along the lines of "this email is private.... etc"?

Established Member
I just got off the train at Southall today and there was a fast approaching FGW HST so I started to film it, suddenly I saw this person coming towards me, waving. He then said taking photographs at this station is not allowed due to it being a Category B station (terrorist alert) I said I had nevr heard of this before. He said go and ask at information they will tell you. I said well I have travelled along way, he said try further up the line. I went to Maidenhead and had no problems there.
On the way I rang the deputy editor of The Railway magazine, he had been on the phone to FGW and they couldnt understand what had happened! they had never heard of such a thing! I am firing an email off to FGW.
just thought I would let you know.

Martyn

Mart, I had the same thing:(, Should have said you were staff :lol:

RJ

Established Member
If you choose to subterfuge ground staff, you run the risk of getting both yourself and them in trouble.

We're supposed to be photters, not fraudsters.

class 313

Established Member
If you choose to subterfuge ground staff, you run the risk of getting both yourself and them in trouble.

We're supposed to be photters, not fraudsters.

But he is staff though. So who is he frauding?

martyn29

I wasnt frauding anyone mate! I went out to enjoy myself, and take some photos of trains which thousands of people do every day, nothing sinister so all this talk of subterfuge or whatever is aload of rubbish!

class 313

Established Member
I wasnt frauding anyone mate! I went out to enjoy myself, and take some photos of trains which thousands of people do every day, nothing sinister so all this talk of subterfuge or whatever is aload of rubbish!

Indeed, I think that comment is best ignored, that's to you and Fred.

RJ

Established Member

I didn't accuse you of defrauding anyone - if Fred's advice is to tell problem staff that one work for the railways then its not good advice (obviously this does not apply to those working for the railway).

You shouldn't need to divulge that information anyway, you don't need to be railway staff to take pix on a station...

Established Member
I didn't accuse you of defrauding anyone - if Fred's advice is to tell problem staff that one work for the railways then its not good advice (obviously this does not apply to those working for the railway).

You shouldn't need to divulge that information anyway, you don't need to be railway staff to take pix on a station...

Don't look at me, If your staff it doesn't matter too much in that case tbh, I do alot less spotting/vegging in London than Most people. I'll stick to the country8-)

Juniper Driver

Established Member
I was at a certain station the other week when a person cameup to me.I was in the cab of a train.He said someone was taking pictures of the railway and I thought so what.I thought he was a bit of a nutter and he showed me his warrant card or his oyster card I wasn't sure which and then told me to inform my guard.At the time I didn't think my guard would come in use so I didn't bother but he seemed worried and said "in case we start rolling around".Questioned the guy and was taking notes of afore mentioned person who had cause offence.Also said "With all thats going on in the world today".I have reason to believe he was a genuine police officer.When I left he was taking a statement from the bloke who I took it to being foreign.Dunno if it would have made any different if he had been English.

Also at the start of the conversation between the police officer and me he said that the person didn't look like a train spotter.

At the end I asked if everything was ok then I buggered off.

Dont know if this is anything to do with other peoples problem on here but they may have just upped security slightly.